The Office (UK) vs The Office (US)

????

• Total voters

skully the poltergeist

Al Jeany apologist
About to re-watch both back to back. What are people's thoughts on the age old debate of which is better? I find it so hard to call.

UK one is, in my opinion, a work of art. Innovative, subtle and authentic. I don't think the strange mix of absurdity and monotony found in admin jobs has ever been captured more completely. It's all so relatable, I think everybody knows a David Brent... I lived with one for 3 years. The way in which it shines a light on the ridiculous mannerisms that we Brits are so familiar with but rarely acknowledge is nothing short of genius. Much of that is probably lost on an American audience however, who perhaps find it too dry? And it is pretty brutal for a comedy, there's this deeply cynical and depressing undercurrent that isn't found in the US counterpart. Sometimes the cringe, though utterly hilarious, is hard to bear because its so true to life.

US version feels like a more traditional sitcom. The characters are definitely more lovable but they're also caricatures when compared to the realism of the UK version. The plots are also follow more conventional trajectories. That's not a necessarily a criticism though, the US version uses the supporting cast to better effect. There's far more emphasis placed on character development and the dynamics between characters, perhaps because it ran for much longer. That longevity, however, is something of a double-edged sword. Trying to continue without Michael was a huge mistake and at that point it truly committed its soul to the territory of generic sitcoms.

I guess they're very different beasts. I'd probably say The US version is the more fun and entertaining, whilst the UK version is sharper, more intelligent and ultimately better television.

It's an interesting one to discuss because it really highlights the comedic differences between two fairly similar cultures. And I imagine the poll will probably reflect that too.

American Office is trash. Just generic American TV garbage for stupid people.
British one is infinitely better, absolutely a work for art.

one has Ricky Gervais and one doesn’t, that alone increases the watchability of the us version

Gervais is perfect for the role though, there's very little effort to make him an endearing character. I guess you pity him a bit but he's not meant to be fundamentally likeable in the way that Michael Scott is. David Brent is a more complex and flawed character.

Casting for both shows is impeccable to be honest.

first 3 seasons of US office are brilliant, still watch them on netflix to this day. even after there were Some moments of brilliance afterwards though it did mostly turn into trash. uk office is good and all but the chemistry just isn't as there to me

I can kinda see what you mean about chemistry but I think that's largely intentional. There's some people who thought the UK version was a legit documentary while flicking through the channels because the characters are played with such authenticity. US version didn't push the 'documentary' thing as much. For what its worth though I def prefer Tim and Dawn to Jim and Pam.

both of these shows are all-time greats. i've seen them so many times and i never get tired of them.

it's tough to compare twelve episodes and a special to two hundred episodes. every time i've made a top tv list on the board i've favoured the british one as the stronger piece overall, but i don't know how fair that is. the first three seasons of the american version are flawless, and if it had ended after that point, with 'the job' serving as the season finale, i'd definitely say it was the superior series. to echo handsome, i think there's still scattered greatness beyond season three, but so much of it - particularly after the michael scott paper company arc - left a bad taste in my mouth at the time it aired and kind of tainted the series for me. i remember watching season six week to week and just being horrified by stuff like jim and pam's wedding, david wallace's 'suck it' idea, etc. in a more general sense, i feel like the show lost too much of its dramatic weight after jim and pam got together, and i wish the writers hadn't abandoned those little moments that make the early years feel so real, like jim and roy's 'take it easy' exchange in 'basketball'.

there's one thing i think we can all agree the american one did better, though: todd packer > chris finch.

voted 'merican, cuz tbh the uk one is depressing as hell, it's subtle and realistic, and that's why it depresses me, it reminds me of people i know or have known.

the us one is like a breathe of fresh air, i don't know anyone like michael, dwight or creed, and i goddamn want to!

I love the US Office. I agree, the first 3 seasons was the show at its most inspired, becoming its own special and distinguished show. Perfect balance of subtle, intelligent work/social satire with the more commercial appeal of an American sitcom. The casting and chemistry of the actors are phenomenal. Even in the worst years of the show, they're an undeniably talented ensemble and the atmosphere is magical for improv/alternate lines. The show probably has my favorite blooper reels of any other comedy.

I still take a great liking to season 4 and 5 from a comedic and character perspective. The Jim/Pam romantic tension becomes lost (obviously still a great couple who are fun to follow) but I do enjoy the more unconventional examination of Dwight and Angela, and the Michael/Holly journey is still something I find quite sweet. I'm okay with seasons 4-7 falling into more typical sitcom territory, although there were some missteps in season 6 or so that are just plain bad as previously mentioned (including the desperate decision to have Michael hook up with Pam's mother).

As for the UK Office, I admit I still have to see it and probably should already. :oops:

Just finished the last ep of the UK version and it really is perfect from start to finish. Don't think there's any other sitcom that's been so well observed and deftly written. Now time to rewatch the US...

this thread made me revisit the british series again. i've seen it so many times that i've memorized most of the dialogue but it's been years since i watched the whole thing start to finish. god, it's so good. there's few comedies i find as emotionally involving as this one, and those last few episodes wreck me every time. pretty remarkable how gervais and merchant can still draw sympathy for a character as self-centered, rude, and incompetent as david brent (at least, i feel bad for him). if i have any qualms about the show, it's that some stuff that hasn't aged particularly well since 2001, like tim and dawn getting a laugh out of pretending gareth is gay, or gareth's creepiness in general.

Back