The Nostalgia Critic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really liked this one, mostly because I'm a person who really can't handle hype. If everyone is obsessing about how great a film is, chances are I'm going to be disappointed when I finally see it. It happened with "The Dark Knight", "The Avengers", "Toy Story 3", "The Lego Movie", the list goes on. This is also why I'm often afraid of watching older films that are considered masterpieces because I know they probably won't live up to the ridiculous amount of praise. The point he brings up about how after the hype dies down, the viewing experience can feel completely different is also very true. I used to hate the Dark Knight but now that everyone has shut up about it, I can enjoy it for what it is. I still don't consider it to be the masterpiece everyone says it is but that doesn't stop it from being a good movie.

I couldn't agree more with the Borat example. I first saw that film with a group of friends and we were laughing to the point of tears. Then I tried to watch it again with two friends from that same group and we had to switch it off after the first 20 minutes. We pretty much knew every joke that was coming up, so the shock value was gone and the film just felt really slow and dry.

OK, this was an interesting editorial, but I strongly disagree with what he said about laugh tracks. They do tell you when to laugh, but it's so unsubtle and usually when these shows with laugh tracks tell you when to laugh, it's usually at something that's not very funny. Even the highly praised shows with laugh tracks like Seinfeld and Friends are just shows that I'm not a fan of and the shows that don't have laugh tracks really work wonders. I don't think not having a laugh track messes up the pacing of a show in any way and it actually helps the show more than it hurts it. As for movies like Borat and There's Something About Mary, I watched both of those movies alone and for me at least those movies are very funny no matter if you're watching them in a group or not.

Also regarding Frozen, I probably would've hated it even if it wasn't so hyped up. (Although probably to a lesser degree.) Almost all the songs were painfully generic and just terrible overall, Olaf was annoying as fuck, most of the humor relied on phoned in slapstick like a character falling down and the only good thing about the movie was Let It Go, but even that song isn't good anymore because I've heard it too many times. What really pisses me off about this movie the most is that it's just a fad. It has a shitload of merchandise for it and kids are still singing along to Let it Go, but in about 5 years not a lot of people are going to care about it. Sure, it made around a billion dollars at the box office, but so did Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and does anyone really remember that movie? Exactly. Box office gross doesn't have anything to do with if a movie will be remembered or not and in a few years it's not going to hold up as well as the other classic Disney movies like The Lion King, Pinnochio, Bambi and pretty much any of their other animated movies while this one will stand as their absolute worst. I hate to say this but, I enjoyed Home on the Range more than Frozen.

It's a shame Kyle left Channel Awesome since he was one of the best content producers there, but considering the treatment he got, I guess he's better off outside the site anyways.
I've seen clips of this movie, but I ought to watch this movie in full. I'm not too sure about the new style Kyle is aiming for Brows Held High, since it's a step too similar to the style of PBS Idea Channel and many other Youtube videobloggers I've seen, but maybe it just takes time getting used to. I miss the intro though.

I really liked the new editorial; he does make some good points about how hype can rebound negatively and about the backlash against a popular movie can affect it. Perhaps the most interesting part was how one can enjoy a film greatly in theaters and when you see it at home, it's lost a lot of it's value and I can say there's a lot of truth in that because I've been there.

Additionally, I'm surprised he didn't use any Star Wars Episode I footage or even mentioned it because that movie is of the most infamous examples of hype ruining a movie for a lot of people; maybe that would have been too obvious instead of taking Frozen as an example? I dunno.

Speaking of new format as anyone watched Lupa's new series. I mean, jesus christ it's pretty fucking bad. I have no idea what she was going for with the unscripted format but she's horrid at it. I remember watching her "the room" commentary and thinking, "if you have nothing to say, don't bothering making a commentary." A shit ton of dead air and awkward pauses. Some people are good at the unscripted things like the Slowbeef and Diabeetus but not Lupa. She doesn't have the comedic timing to pull it off. I like OLP a lot but this is to much for me.

Also, question, aside from that jerl with a camera, does anyone watch or give a fuck about the new "talent" on Channel Awesome?

Nope. Btw speaking of Jerk, he just reuploaded his Boy Meets World WDW episode and augh I forgot how great it was. New episodes of his should start in only two weeks!

Jerk's alright, but I feel like he puts in more jokes into his videos than actual review. And unfortunately, he's got a habit of not knowing how to stop with a joke at its funniest point, and in many times it feels like he's dragging parts of the video longer than necessary.
But in the parts where he actually review things, I definitely like him. He's just not one of my favorite reviewers on the site.

Though his Beauty and the Beast crossover review with Kyle was awesome.

Is Jerk actually funny to somebody who's not hugely interested in theme parks?

If you choose to watch the episodes where he reviews media instead of actual rides (which are his stronger eps IMO), I'd say start there and then view the others if he catches on with you. And honestly I have no problem with focusing on jokes more than review as long as the jokes are funny. And Jerk is almost always funny.

Also, question, aside from that jerl with a camera, does anyone watch or give a fuck about the new "talent" on Channel Awesome?

1) Shark Jumping is alright. They tend to ramble on and seem to miss the point of whatever they are reviewing.

2) I like SF Debris and was watching him before he joined Channel Awesome.

i don't like jerk. his nasally voice makes me wince and the fact that whenever he cuts away to him in a disney park he's always in a different location is hella distracting to me. he isn't terribly unfunny but i cant get past the annoying voice.

Nope. Btw speaking of Jerk, he just reuploaded his Boy Meets World WDW episode and augh I forgot how great it was. New episodes of his should start in only two weeks!

That's good to know when new episodes start. I've been waiting for new stuff.

actually it's three. I forgot about the last ep of season two, so there are two old eps left to air

I'm really curious to see if jerk can maintain even a bi-weekly basis. his episodes, even when he was semi-consistent (he took a very long break in 2012 due to personal reasons) were barely even monthly. about 24 episodes (and that's counting all of his multi-part series individually) over the course of about three years. yet I always liked that because all of his videos are very fresh unlike doug's... the jokes seem much more well-crafted and thought out, and you can feel the length of time put into them.

he does still have some other backlog stuff (like a very amusing commentary track for his epcot series) so it could be even longer.

Shouldn't the title be changed to "Channel Awesome" if we're going to talk about producers besides Doug Walker? Just saying.

Unfortunately

We don't have much to discuss about the other users that we like anyways since there isn't much to shit on.

Behold the long awaited game show
tumblr_nkku77siru1un4fwyo2_1280.png

90'000$ people.

Ninty Thousand Dollars

my high school theatre productions had better sets

what a shock

still totally expecting mike michaud to wind up in court one day

has potential to be a good review but i ain't expectin much

...I'm not happy about this.

I highly doubt Jerk appears but I've been waiting for him to do this for years (not NC) and shouldn't this be Nostalgiaween and he better not diss the original attraction and... sigh I guess I better just watch it

it was okay. no jerk, and the theme park jokes are minimal (but to his credit, doug does do the ancillary research not to sound like a moron and he DOES think it would make for a good animated film which most HM fans have been clamoring for)... there's a running joke about terrence stamp's voice that lingers on eight crazy nights level of overdone, but some decent zingers about muprhy. a couple of sketches that you could really do without

honestly just an overall average review. bad movie's a bad movie so I guess it got its due.

...still real unhappy he didn't even address jerk. dude's on your goddamn website.

Oh boy, and Doug is on his high horse about how movies can't have similar setups or characters with similar motivations.

Also that Zod sketch was awful...

also am I the only one who got kind of annoyed with Doug playing characters/actors from the film in sketches? Like the terrence stamp thing was drawn out as hell and reeked of every bit of the "funnier than he actually thinks it is" shtick he's been leaning towards since the reboot, but I dunno even in his classic series I felt like he went back to stuff like his Spider Dr. Smith from Lost in Space too much when personally I never found it that entertaining. In my opinion I think Doug has always excelled at pointing out the absurd and riffing off of it, but when it comes to his original content (skits, non NC characters, voices, songs) it always just feels kind of eh and that he views himself as this jack of all trades when he usually isn't.

We've been feeling the same way for 2 years man. Hell, I haven't watched an episode since July of last year, I think the show is utter garbage now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back