The Lounge: Now As Active As The UK Lounge

I got really lucky with my highschool, very few students like that.

Rogue one was fucking amazing, tied for favorite star wars with ESB.

[MENTION=46441]Insomnia[/MENTION], don't ya just love people who think they know your emotions and feelings and what offends you better than you?

That's a good one. I still use "Mr. Candyass" sometimes. My favorite (and the one I'm thinking of) is addressing the unruly class with "I say there's nothing wrong with you little bastards that can't be solved with a quick return to the days of corporal punishment!"

Runner-up being holding the giant wooden paddle in front of the class and sarcastically going "some short-sighted federal appeals judge says I can't use this on you!"

So on Friday I took a half-day for a doctor's appointment (bad news is I might need invasive back surgery, good news is I got approved for a medical card whoo) and coincidentally right as I was getting ready to leave, I started hearing a loud water-flowing noise down the hall. Sewage was flooding out of the nearby bathroom and within a few seconds the entire second-floor hallway and the classrooms in the immediate area were flooded with the stuff and it was flowing down the stairs, flooding the first floor and out the front door (as well as dripping down through ceilings and flowing down the elevator shaft like a waterfall - someone happened to be coming up in the elevator right as it was happening and when it opened, "water" was just pouring through the ceiling and into the elevator itself). They evacuated the school and dismissed early for the day. Which makes me mad that I requested a half-day because I would have left at the exact same time anyway and probably would have gotten compensated for being forced not to work the rest of my day.

Now today the whole school smells moldy and nobody's sure how to clean most of the places the shit got to so they're highly concerned about mold (as well as the fact that there's festering human waste soaking into the walls and between floors and standing in the elevator shaft). The library here got hit by some of it and there's carpeting in here so you may be able to imagine how that smells. How delightful. And now it's been ascertained that, rather than being a burst frozen pipe like everyone expected (it being a snowy day), it was some student that forcefully, physically ripped a pipe off the wall. Today they're checking cameras trying to figure out who it was. I'd hope he gets expelled at the very least but they're probably going to give him college credits and a "party" in his honor like they did for the vermin in here spouting rape-culture bullshit and shoving teachers out of the way for the campus life readiness garbage. Not even sure if I wanna share this story with anyone IRL because I really don't want to listen to more of the inevitable horseshit about how "he's just a little child, that's what children do, 18 is still a child so you can't be mad at him for just doing stuff that kids do", "if he gets in trouble now it will just ruin his future; once he goes to college he'll start learning how to act like an adult and become a better person." Ugh.

Normally I don't advocate hitting people as a way to change their behavior, and i think its generally abusive.

But those little shits you've been describing, [MENTION=67667]LosTickaToeRest[/MENTION]? The ones who joke about rape and make derisive comments about LGBT people and act like it's SUCH A BUUUURDEN that their fucking phones are being taken away from them?

Fuck ethics, I would cane those little bastards into next week, and I'd have a smile on my face while doing so.

I guess part of it is that I seriously resent seeing kids get away with this stuff. At home I'd get a backhand and get grounded for looking at my mom the wrong way or for not being able to answer her phone calls in class (because it was "proof" that "something's going on that I should know about and you're lying to me about it") to the point where I was afraid to do anything remotely resembling "acting out", and at school would get detention for things like standing in the school foyer waiting for a ride after dismissal because it was storming outside and I was on crutches, or not being able to participate in P.E. for too long for their liking because I was immobilized by surgery, while every other high school student I observe just gets a "kids will be kids" reaction from the school itself and every other adult I know no matter how horrible it is, or even get rewarded like in the case of these kids. Had a big angry discussion with my boyfriend the other day about some of these kids on their senior trip to a theme park running around breaking things and vandalizing things and picking fights to the point they had to leave early, and he thought the school was being unfair and that they "earned the right to be able to act like that for making it through high school" (exact words). I know it's not exactly logical and I don't know what these kids are going through outside of school but it's difficult to avoid the first thought I jump to being "their parents aren't hitting them hard enough".

Last edited:
basically Panther was planning to take advantage of drunk college girls, got upset when we naturally called him on it and tried to weasel his way out of the drama with mealy mouthed apologies he really didn't mean.

Normally I don't advocate hitting people as a way to change their behavior, and i think its generally abusive.

But those little shits you've been describing, [MENTION=67667]LosTickaToeRest[/MENTION]? The ones who joke about rape and make derisive comments about LGBT people and act like it's SUCH A BUUUURDEN that their fucking phones are being taken away from them?

Fuck ethics, I would cane those little bastards into next week, and I'd have a smile on my face while doing so.

At what point is the line drawn though? Not saying those kids aren't fucking shits that deserve to be swiftly and firmly reprimanded for their actions because... well, they are and they should be, but at the same time it's not like teenagers casually using terms like "F****t" and spouting off other "Edgy" offensive comments is a hot new thing. Corporal punishment didn't exactly beat the homophobia and rape victim mockery out of the kids who would've been prone to saying that stuff back when a teacher could wallop the shit out of a student if they so pleased. If it worked you wouldn't have people in their 40s and 50s today wanting to shit on LGBT rights and agreeing that Trump's pussy grabbing comments were just locker room talk.

On an unrelated note, I wish colleges could be a bit more original with their prompts than 'Why have you decided to apply to X?' Those essays really take the fun out of the application process.

^ they're way easier to write, though, and I can just recycle 'em for every school. if you want "fun" prompts, check out U Chicago's madness

When I went to Uni, the application letter wasn't so much "Why do you want to attend this school?" so much as it was "Why do you want to do this course?". Was so much easier to make a personal statement out of that.

When I applied the standard was applying to 5, which you then narrowed down to a first and second choice. That was 6/7 years ago now though (Christ!) so it could be completely different now.

At what point is the line drawn though? Not saying those kids aren't fucking shits that deserve to be swiftly and firmly reprimanded for their actions because... well, they are and they should be, but at the same time it's not like teenagers casually using terms like "F****t" and spouting off other "Edgy" offensive comments is a hot new thing. Corporal punishment didn't exactly beat the homophobia and rape victim mockery out of the kids who would've been prone to saying that stuff back when a teacher could wallop the shit out of a student if they so pleased. If it worked you wouldn't have people in their 40s and 50s today wanting to shit on LGBT rights and agreeing that Trump's pussy grabbing comments were just locker room talk.

That's why I said it wouldn't really work out anywhere but on paper. If anything it could even reinforce the bullshit persecution complex most of these kids are displaying in regards to these concepts. But then again any punishment will, so it goes right back around to whether punishment is even an effective deterrent. They kicked a kid out of class and suspended him for a couple days for hijacking that campus-readiness thing to whine about how modern society is reverse-racist, how black people get so much more privileges and opportunities than white people now, comparing them to animals etc. and when he came back, the only thing different was that it reinforced his views of being unfairly discriminated against for free speech etc. and just made him more obnoxious and hostile. So it's like, what are you supposed to do? How do you handle this? And if it makes no difference either way then I don't see anything hypothetically wrong with a hard backhand for these kinds of kids. But since that privilege would inevitably get abused it has to stay hypothetical.

When I applied the standard was applying to 5, which you then narrowed down to a first and second choice. That was 6/7 years ago now though (Christ!) so it could be completely different now.

That's interesting. In America you really are encouraged to apply to every possible college you can, including ones you have no hope of getting into (I know so many who applied to many Ivy Leagues and didn't get into any [and really had no chance from the beginning], but attempting it is pretty much required). We also have ways to bulk-apply to certain colleges if they share the same app.

Kinda glad in some ways that I skipped all that typical American college / university stress. No SATs for me, no entrance essays, all I did was go to community college and then a trade school which just required paperwork and then a COMPASS test. No dorming either. Seems like it would've been neat and surely I would've met new people, but I could see it also stressing me out more than necessary.

Been laughing the past 10 min about a tech getting banned from future projects with one of our clients. That sounds bad (for business) and mean-spirited but this tech frequently fucks me over and throws people under the bus for things that he is at fault for, so I'm not feeling very sorry for him. Also, the project was nothing more than plugging in VoIP phones. I really do mean just plugging in. You just set the phone on the desk, plug the short end of the cable into the phone, wrap it through the built in cord holder for "cable management," and then plug the other end in to the jack/hub. Braddah failed. All his phones plugged in the wrong way and none of them worked. The project manager was so pissed he asked us to never send this guy back.

Back