The Ghost and Molly McGee

@John95, It would certainly be interesting to know exactly what the continuity reasons for the delay were, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see, just like how we'll have to see if that one episode takes place before 'Saving Christmas'.

As for the show returning, since nothing about a date has been announced, I sorta hope for a surprise reveal for a return in the second half of January, but I am leaning toward guessing February too. At least I suppose there'll be some 'The Owl House' in the first month (since that one has been on a break since mid-August).

@CousinMerl, My best guess is that it's either what I already said about Mr. Davenport or that either one of them has  Libby being aware of Scratch  which wouldn't have happened yet had the episode originally aired.

At least I suppose there'll be some 'The Owl House' in the first month (since that one has been on a break since mid-August).
Sorry, nothing new Disney wise for all of January. Best bet for at least one of the shows returning is in February. And I'm at least expecting The Owl House and Big City Greens to return first as both shows have been on hiatus the longest (not counting the latter having a one-off Halloween episode back in October).

Those two episodes sound good. Looking forward to the return of this series.

Nice bit of concept art, but I think that would constitute as a big spoiler of sorts (In showing that Molly will be really deeply involved with the politics of the ghost world. I thought a longer time would pass before that happens, but here we are).

Last edited:
Game Night/The Don't-Gooder has been leaked thanks to being included on one of the foreign D+'s!

Of all the episodes to get this, it makes sense to me that it's the one that's been delayed. Haven't seen it yet, but it is in English and I'll be seeing it by the end of the day.

Alright, seen them:

Game Night was fun. When it was first delayed one of the creators mentioned that it was one of their favorites and it's easy to see why. Won't give too much away other than it ends up becoming another episode where Sharon plays a big role.

And as for The Don't-Gooder..... I mentioned a few weeks ago that the only way they could've saved this episode based on the initial premise was if it continued upon what was implied in Saving Christmas that Andrea only acts the way she does because it's the only time her father seems to pay attention to her. That actually is expanded on here, but I'm currently undecided as to whether it fully worked the way they intended it to as it only comes up within the last two minutes. I wouldn't even say that this was bad like I thought it would be when first announced, but I'm left feeling as though there was a bit to be desired.

As for the would've been continuity error that resulted in the delay... From what I could tell, it was that Mr. Davenport appears and the show acts like we already know him which of course wouldn't have been the case had the episode aired when it was planned to.

So overall, while I can see their reasoning for delaying the episodes until now (even if it seems a bit minor in retrospect), I don't think it was fully worth it as I would've preferred a week of no new episodes the day it was supposed to air over what we got where one of the episodes that aired in it's place landed a spot on my "Worst of" list.

@John95, So in essence, it is one really good episode and one that's just alright? Sounds good anyway. I haven't seen them yet, but once I do I'll get back with some opinions on them (I'm especially curious on the latter and the real reason it caused a delay. I'm guessing that it is no big loss that 'Saving Christmas' aired before it despite this maybe being set prior to that, though).

She's obnoxious and insufferably perky....HOW can anyone sit through 30 minutes of this pap?????

I've finally caught up on the show upon learning that it's returning later this month, and it's definitely freakin' adorable. Nice blend between a moral-driven series and a completely cartoonish one, with some of the best works Mercury Filmworks ever delivered (and that says something - the energy of the show and the timing and looseness of the expressions often reminds Paul Rudish's Mickey Mouse), and the formula "optimistic character paired with a grumpy one", in this case, doesn't get old that quickly as I think the staff found a way to make it work as long as possible with several nice spins on it. While Molly is such a perky girl, the writers often find ways to confront it to a more nuanced surrounding, and to test her perkiness (like in the hilarious No Good Deed and All Systems No). Good stuff.

It's nice to see that you do like and enjoy the series, @Wile E. the Brain. I had almost been waiting for when you'd get into it, but it came to no surprise that your overal impressions are very positive due to how well it handles and balances its content. To me, It had a bit of a slow start but founds its groove throughout the first ten episodes.

Also, while I can see some being annoyed by Molly's upbeat attitude and perky optimism (like an above poster has) I think she's a great character much due to it. Modern animated series need more of these true happy-go-lucky optimist characters than more "darker" and "heavier" ones that tend to have more of an emotional baggage.

@Wile E. the Brain Good to see that you've caught up on the show! Any particular favorite characters and episodes so far?
I think Scratch is a personal favorite of mine. He's such a mood, while being a little more complex than just being a grumpy guy, and he's a lot of fun, and Dana Snyder's performance helps as he's very fun to listen to as the ghost. And like all of you guys, I love Libby as well, especially because like Ryan said, she's an outcast who's okay with that, and that's a breath of fresh air. As for the episodes, again, I won't be original but Mazel Tov, Libby is my favorite so far, but there are some very funny episodes I enjoyed a lot too, like Not So Honest Abe and No Good Deed.

Also, while I can see some being annoyed by Molly's upbeat attitude and perky optimism (like an above poster has) I think she's a great character much due to it. Modern animated series need more of these true happy-go-lucky optimist characters than more "darker" and "heavier" ones that tend to have more of an emotional baggage.
I think it goes well with the nature of the show. As much as I like story-driven animated series, it's nice to have, once in a while, one that just wants to be a goofy episodic one like many of those from the Disney Afternoon and stuff like that.

@Wile E. the Brain, Yeah, you don't really see very many characters like Libby, especially in shows with the demographic it's targeted towards. Someone who has social anxieties which appear to be rooted from years of being an outcast (and possibly depression from the implied death of her father), but they have come to terms with that. And to go off what @CousinMerl previously mentioned about Molly's character, I too am fine with her personality type, but characters like Libby (and Scratch to a lesser extent) can be a much needed contrast for the people put-off by the aforementioned's upbeat attitude.

Other favorite characters for me are Molly herself and her mother Sharon (who actually has the same first name as my own mother). Other characters I really like are Geoff and Mrs. Stein-Torres (helps that she's voiced by the same person who was also Spinelli on Recess and Moose on Pepper Ann among others).

there are some very funny episodes I enjoyed a lot too, like Not So Honest Abe and No Good Deed.
Of the three people on here who've talked about the latter episode so far (the other two being me and CousinMerl) you definitely appear to like it the most. To me, the episode doesn't really work because it feels like something from the very end of the classic/beginning of the post-classic era of the The Simpsons in regards to it's sudden story shift and the wackiness that ensures. Doesn't help that the episode doesn't really accomplish anything making it feel pointless along with Darryl learning nothing/getting away with his actions.

Libby is definitely a favorite of mine as well (she's a scene stealer, much like Sid on 'The Casagrandes'), but I also like the lead duo (Molly & Scratch) and Pete and Sharon (I could go either way regarding Darryl, whom it feels too early to have an opinion on). Libby's mom is a good one as well (I liked her role in the first holiday segment) & if the writers play their cards really right, I can see myself ending up considering Andrea a favorite as well (only time will tell).

Also, It feels like blasphemy to admit that I didn't really care for 'No Good Deed'. It just felt meh and more uninteresting compared to the other episodes, ends up feeling kinda pointless and, yeah, like I said before it felt more of an unused 'The Simpsons' plot starring Bart & Lisa (and it was one of those where Scratch kinda felt like an afterthought). I did like the reveal of what electricity does to a ghost & Molly's initial reaction to what Darryl did was great, but the rest I wasn't into much.

Last edited:
Also, It feels like blasphemy to admit that I didn't really care for 'No Good Deed'.
I decided to check out the show's subreddit to see what other fans thought of this one, and yeah we appear to be the only two who didn't really care for it.

I did like the reveal of what electricity does to a ghost & Molly's initialreaction to what Darryl did was great, but the rest I wasn't into much.
Drunk Scratch was probably the only humorous part of the episode, but even then it only reminded me of the same thing that happens to Baymax in Big Hero 6 when he's low on battery.

I will say that the story shift was better setup/foreshadowed when compared to say... Going from trying to buy a funeral plot for Grandpa to building a tennis court in the backyard or Bart digging to China suddenly shifting to Homer taking over for Moe at the bar with the aforementioned getting no resolution. That's not saying very much though as I still didn't care for the sudden story shift.

The only other thing I bother to remember is how it's the second episode to feature the on-screen death of a bird. And spoilers for The Don't-Gooder it's quickly becoming a running gag as it happens again in that one too.

I decided to check out the show's subreddit to see what other fans thought of this one, and yeah we appear to be the only two who didn't really care for it.

Has there been any episodes so far that fans really don't seem to care for (or even dislike)? Feels like none of them are so bad as to get hated by the general audience of fans. I've been wondering about this before.

The only other thing I bother to remember is how it's the second episode to feature the on-screen death of a bird. And spoilers for The Don't-Gooder it's quickly becoming a running gag as it happens again in that one too.

There's definitely a running gag with small animals dying in the show (I think there was an incident with a goldfish at some point) and it would seem like it'll go on throughout the series (and I think it makes for some good dark humor).

Has there been any episodes so far that fans really don't seem to care for (or even dislike)? Feels like none of them are so bad as to get hated by the general audience of fans. I've been wondering about this before.
In terms of what fans on the subreddit think, for the most part no*. There's no discussion for the leaked episodes there yet but I think they're waiting until they release officially. Though speaking of those episodes, on the site where I found them on the reception to The Don't-Gooder was a bit more mixed particularly in response to if it actually succeeded at making Andrea come across as sympathetic with her motive.

*There was one person who felt uncomfortable while watching All Systems No due to not being very fond ofthis kind of plot of forced humiliation being used for humor.

I think there was an incident with a goldfish at some point
Yep, in Turnip Twist Scratch accidentally scares the Mayor's goldfish to death. And prior to that, there was the old man who keeled over in We're Getting the Band(Shell) Back Together, though Scratch was able to push his spirit back into his body before it could float away.

Well, the show is finally back after the winter break. My collected thoughts on the recent two:

'The Ice Princess' was quite good. Not only an entertaining and amusing episode, but also nicely developing the town of Brighton (with a new legend of theirs, with the annual visit by the ghost of an figure skater), introducing a new ghost that terrorize the town (well, until this episode, at least) and really gives something to do for Pete McGee (this time becoming the one who saves the day). I also enjoyed the bit of a twist at the end and the ending itself was nice, withouth ending on a joke. It is pretty funny too (such as with Molly not doing well on ice at all), but the story still did have a lot of heart. Nice first episode after the hiatus.

'Ready Set Snow!' was surprisingly solid. It's a "snow day" episode and made for a fun story, with Molly obsessing over going out (in spite of the freezing cold & snow storm) and trying to rally allies instead of staying inside and be cozy by the fireplace with Libby & Scratch (I loved the fact the latter sided with Libby, who introduced the Danish concept of "hygge", which I've not explicitly heard of). It was essentially Molly vs. Everyone & gave some hilarious moments (especially her forcing herself to have fun in the cold) but also had a nice ending with a good message. The last joke was a bit OOT but still a good ep overall.

I've noticed I'm a bit behind on the show, but saw a couple more (which was the previously leaked duo) of 'Game Night' & 'Don't Gooder'. Anyhow, unmarked spoilers beneath.

'Game Night' was a pretty fun and decent episode. I like how they both made it an house cleaning story & a boardgame story in one and did it did have a lot of funny moments & some exploration on how the McGee family take things such as cleaning and games way too seriously. I'm not sure I really was into the twist involving Sharon, which kinda felt like a bit of an asspull (sorta) and made her a little unlikeable in the end IMO (I had wished for a more clever solution), but it was a nice one either way (though when it comes to boardgame plots, I must admit that I prefer 'Lynner Takes All' from 'The Loud House').

'The Don't Gooder' was a really nice one as well, probably my favorite of these two. It had a nice plot involving Molly deciding to compete with Andrea in charity work and it had all the humor you'd expect (with a funny story on Molly's one-sided enmity with Andread, but what was mostly interesting was that it gave a nudge in the right direction in terms of development of Andrea (by revealing that she's ready to do anything for approval of her parents, who only really interact with her via their phones & social media); I really like the build to the end and the finale was neat (The "thank you" moment was great).

Btw, I wasn't as disappointed as @John95 in how the "important" stuff was only in the last few minutes as I think it worked (and besides, it was more of a plot on how Molly starts to view Andrea not as an enemy but as a bit of a tragic person and maybe a possible friend in the future and in that sense it worked well. Baby steps). I can see them incorporating Andrea more from this point on, maybe as an ally and possible friend.

(Also, I must say that outside of her first appearance, I don't really see Andrea as a villain or antagonist as her meanness doesn't seem intentional, but come from how oblivious and clueless she seem toward her surroundings & what's really important due to her obsession with social media, her fans, pleasing her parents, etc., which I think was a good move rather than making her outright malicious).

Last edited:
@CousinMerl, Don't feel too bad about being a little behind. I've done a worse job of posting about the latest episodes to air despite being able to see them as soon as they release.

As for the episodes of last month, my favorites were the two winter themed ones plus Game Night. Last week's episodes were both OK and The Don't-Gooder was my least favorite, and another instance where it was worse the second time around after having a month to let it sink in.

Btw, I wasn't as disappointed as @John95 in how the "important" stuff was only in the last few minutes as I think it worked (and besides, it was more of a plot on how Molly starts to view Andrea not as an enemy but as a bit of a tragic person and maybe a possible friend in the future and in that sense it worked well. Baby steps). I can see them incorporating Andrea more from this point on, maybe as an ally and possible friend.
Like I said when that episode originally leaked, I can see what they were going for but it ultimately didn't work for me the way the show had intended due to how late in the episode this was brought up. What doesn't help either is this one instance of Andrea being let off putting in the least amount of effort also essentially lets her off for all the other times where she did literally nothing other than steal credit from Molly which just felt very unfair. This is an episode that I'd love to see the original outline for when compared to the end product because it feels like one of those episodes where they struggled with the plot and at the end of the day said "It still doesn't really work, but it was the best we could come up with".

I must say that outside of her first appearance, I don't really see Andrea as a villain or antagonist
Not even in her first appearance would I label her as feeling like a villian but I can see how one would. As I've previously mentioned, she feels more like a diet Ponyhead for the time being. Normally this is a bad thing but in her case that's an improvement as she does show signs for consistent growth (Saving Christmas) whereas any signs of growth Ponyhead hinted at would be instantly tossed out the window by her next appearance and return her back to the same terrible person she normally is 24/7!

So far the only characters who feel like actual villians are some of the ghosts like Tug, a species of ghosts that was introduced in Twin Trouble (won't name for now in case you haven't seen it yet) and arguably the Ghost Council.

Oh, and speaking of those guys...

@CousinMerl, Don't feel too bad about being a little behind. I've done a worse job of posting about the latest episodes to air despite being able to see them as soon as they release.

I don't feel bad about it, but I did have a surprise when it felt like those two I saw last were the most recent ones that aired but then I discovered there had been two more last week. Will watch them soon to catch up.

Like I said when that episode originally leaked, I can see what they were going for but it ultimately didn't work for me the way the show had intended due to how late in the episode this was brought up. What doesn't help either is this one instance of Andrea being let off putting in the least amount of effort also essentially lets her off for all the other times where she did literally nothing other than steal credit from Molly which just felt very unfair. This is an episode that I'd love to see the original outline for when compared to the end product because it feels like one of those episodes where they struggled with the plot and at the end of the day said "It still doesn't really work, but it was the best we could come up with".

Those reasons for the episode not working as well for you are fair, but I wouldn't be so hard on Andrea in this case since it definitely didn't feel she was intentionally and with malicious intent trying to steal credit and she did what she did not to be mean to others but to impress her parents no matter what (and for me it was still a good episode with Molly vs. Andrea, even though the conflict was one sided). I think it was a fine episode and a good stepping stone in developing the character in a positive direction.

Not even in her first appearance would I label her as feeling like a villian but I can see how one would. As I've previously mentioned, she feels more like a diet Ponyhead for the time being. Normally this is a bad thing but in her case that's an improvement as she does show signs for consistent growth (Saving Christmas) whereas any signs of growth Ponyhead hinted at would be instantly tossed out the window by her next appearance and return her back to the same terrible person she normally is 24/7!

I think she's more unintentionally unlikeable or can be seen as such due to how unaware she seem to her surroundings outside her social media circuit (as I said), though I wouldn't so easily compare her to Princess Ponyhead who very often (if not almost always) was out to be the loud, mean and toxic jerkass friend and cause trouble, while with Andrea her status as an antagonist definitely more come from her living in her bubble (I'd compare her with Pacifica Northwest, whom I initially found much more one-note unlikeable) and yes, they are making an effort in trying to gradually develop her instead of doing what they did with Ponyhead.

So far the only characters who feel like actual villians are some of the ghosts like Tug, a species of ghosts that was introduced in Twin Trouble (won't name for now in case you haven't seen it yet) and arguably the Ghost Council.

Oh, and speaking of those guys...

Haven't seen 'Twin Trouble' or the one it's paired up with yet, but will soon.

The show really has few true villains but The Ghost Council feel like the main antagonists, especially the Reaper-looking leader (whom I've been theorizing could be the overarching villain). Sounds like a nice idea to involve them so heavily in that upcoming episode so looking forward to that one as well (and hopefully they won't neuter them too much by making them too silly).

I've caught up with the recent releases now. Gonna write down some collected thoughts:

'Innocent Until Proven Ghostly' was an amusing courtroom story (regarding who stole and ate the freshly baked cake). The mystery plot was interesting, the court sessions were funny (I loved the silly expressions on the photos used on the board for one thing) and was not as predictable as I had been expecting & the ending was a nice one (the reveal of the culprit came as a bit of surprise, though for a moment I actually thought they'd leave the identity a little more unclear or do some twist).

'Twin Trouble' was enjoyable. Nice to see some development on Pete's side of the family with his twin siblings coming for a visit, proving some nice conflict with how they are obnoxious, rude & bullies him, the "sobgoblins" was an interesting plot point & the jokes were good (and the Bostonian stereotypes reminded me of the Simpsons episode 'The Town). Good ending with the reconciliation, which did come a little suddenly to be honest (but it still worked out and ended things on a fine note).

'Goat Your Own Way' was okay. Good story of Molly having to train a baby goat for a 4H (sorry, 3A) contest (it sorta reminded me of 'Apocalypse Cow') but has trouble as she's just too nice: Funny (but dark) with her ending up fattening the goat by rewarding it treats to make it obey, giving a really silly ending (and I liked to see Libby again). Subplot with Scratch using Pete to get deep fried foods was pretty funny & combined with the main plot well. Not a favorite but still overall decent.

'A Very Hungry Ghost' was really good. I enjoyed the Thai festival plot with Molly, Darryl & the Grandma preparing a feast for the ghosts, providing a nice sibling rivalry story but foremost a great Scratch plot with him having to invite Geoff, whom ends up inviting all the ghosts (which prevents him from getting any food); I liked seeing numerous ghosts from previous episode & the involvement of the Ghost Council really tied the story together (and pushed the overarching plot forward). Good stuff.

Last edited:
My rankings of the latest episodes:

The Very Hungry Ghost
Innocent Until Proven Ghostly
Goat Your Own Way
Twin Trouble

Normally I rewatch the previous episode of a show the day before the next one airs, but Twin Trouble falls into the same category as something like Bessie and MicroAngelo and Mr. X where they're fine and I will rewatch them... But a week after they first aired? Nah, that's a little too soon. The sobgoblins were hyped up a few weeks before the episode aired and they were easily the element that stood out the most when compared to the main plot which was... Fine. A standard episode about siblings making fun of the other who's actually the successful one and they make fun of them to cover up for how they view themselves as the losers. The thing that stood out the most about Billy & Jilly was that the latter is voiced by the same person who voices Tilly on Big City Greens.

After watching A Very Hungry Ghost, I take back that "Arguably" about the Ghost Council being villians as this episode definitely makes the overarching ones like @CousinMerl mentioned earlier. By the way, don't know if you stuck around long enough to watch the credits but as of this episode the individual members of the council now have names after only being referred to as barristers 1 through 4. Their names are:

Grey Griffin is Lucretia (who is also Joanie Pataky and did the creature noises for the sobgoblins), John DiMaggio is Sir Alister, Kari Wahlgren is Grimbella and Greg Baldwin is Bartholomew in the first thing I can recall seeing him in where he isn't mock Mako (which is what he refers to himself as on his Twitter profile).

@John95, I certainly noticed that the Ghost Council had their names revealed in the credits (which is interesting) and now they really do seem like the main antagonists (due to the way they were presented, how all the other ghosts retreated once they appeared & Scratch explaining to an unknowing Molly how they are serious business): this plot also made the chairman/reaper more interesting, with how he just sat there and looked menacingly without eating anything. He's gotta be the big bad of the show (unless they throw a curve ball). Will be intriguing to see how they will advance this plot in future stories.

I also see your points in preferring 'Goat Your Own Way' over 'Twin Trouble', but I think I like the latter more (especially due to the sobgoblin plot thread but also the expansion of the McGee side of the family) but the former was definitely the funnier and less predictable one in the end (albeit feeling a little too nonsensical and sorta pointless overall in the grand scheme). Both were plotlines I've seen in other shows but as a whole I think they were done quite well here.

My favorite was definitely 'Hungry Ghost' but 'Innocent Until Proven Ghostly' was the comedic highligh of the four.

Looks like I actually missed the fact that there's been another couple of episodes for two weeks (!) and caught up now.

'Scare Tactics' was a good one. I liked to see a story about Scratch & Geoff and them skipping school (the scare seminar) made for an amusing and later interesting story (I enjoyed how it became so serious in the end, with the Chairman being there and missing to demonstrate a scare ending up sending you to the Flow Of Failed Phantoms: And here I thought a ghost needeed to do a lot worse for that fate): Geoff sticking up for his friend was nice & I liked how it ended with Scratch just happening to get lucky. Subplot with Molly trying to catch Darryl's pet tarantula but hindered by her extreme arachnophobia was a funny one.

'The Bad Boy Bobby Daniels' I wasn't as sold on as it was more on the OK side of things, but it had its moments. We've seen the "main characters try to help two people who've been in love ages ago get together" story before, but it was done well here, I like to see one of the minor characters (Patty) get some development, the guest vocal performance by Danny Trejo as the titular "lost love" was neat & I liked the song (a clear spoof on 'Leader of The Pack'), Scratch wanting to be a greaser was amusing & I enjoyed the high/low speed chase and twist, but compared to most earlier episodes it was kinda underwhelming.

Also, I just found out there's already another hiatus.... Well, that return for the show was surprisingly brief.

Oh so the show is soming back next month? That's good news. I was about to wonder if the hiatus would be even longer.

Back