The chalkboard punishment already existed before The Simpsons?

AnthonyNoHomers70100

Stonecutter
I refer to the school punishment of write the same phrase many times on the chalkboard, a punishment featured in the Bart Simpson's chalkboard gags from The Simpsons. But that punishment already existed before the show existed?. Some black and white or color image from a time when The Simpsons did not yet exist (until 1989) would prove it.
Simpsons_chalkboard_gag.png

Last edited:
no, matt groening invented the idea of forcing children to write things on chalkboards 500 times

I was more surprised that Bender (not the Futurama robot though he may have inspired the name) from Breakfast Club movie said "eat my shorts" a couple years before Bart made it his catchphrase. The chalkboard punishment is comparatively way older and more widespread.

Things like the chalkboard punishment and Bart's "Eat my shorts" obviously existed before 'The Simpsons', but the show certainly popularized them a whole lot and made them more of less common knowledge.

Things like the chalkboard punishment and Bart's "Eat my shorts" obviously existed before 'The Simpsons', but the show certainly popularized them a whole lot and made them more of less common knowledge.
Yeah. "Eat My Shorts" is from the movie The Breaksfast Club premiered in 1985, 4 years before The Simpsons premiered in 1989 and 2 years before the shorts from The Tracey Ullman Show premiered in 1987.

What Our Gang short?
I don't remember the title. It was one of the later ones (with just Spanky, Froggy, Buckwheat, and Mickey); I think Spanky was trying to get the teacher to suspend them for some reason, but instead, she made them stay after school and write something on the chalkboard.

Back