The Boondocks reviews/discussion thread

DotheBartman

SuperFriend
The actual rate/review threads seemed to be getting relatively little traffic, and no one's started one for the latest episode, so I thought I'd just start one thread for the show for all discussion and reviewing. Hopefully this will get a little more activity, if there's enough people here that are watching this show.

Anyway, latest episode was "Grandad's Fight". I was a little shocked by the realism of the violence actually, and the fact that a character was actually killed at the end. Anyway, really funny episode regardless. The shot at FEMA must have been a relatively late addition.

Any thoughts on this episode or the show itself?

Last edited:
If anyone's ever been in a "N**** Moment", they better pay close attention.

5/5

I thought the episode was alright, it had some pretty funny jokes like Riley realizing that "every time somebody throws a chair n****s start wilin' out." However the episode was not as funny as the other previous ones. I was actually really shocked when Grandad actually killed Stinkmeaner. I just thought that was just taking it a little to far. Also felt that the fight was kinda of uncharacteristic of Grandad's character. Overall however it was a good episode, and I loved Huey's fight with the Blind swordsman I thought the whole scene was well done. The episode wasn't bad but I was incredibly disturbed that a main character has already killed somebody in the fourth episode. 3/5

Pssh... it was a n**** moment. Clearly, grandad thought he was facing a highly skilled opponent as Huey had led him to believe. Also, he showed a lot of guilt/remorse over the whole matter afterward. My nitpick is over the fact that Huey had enough foresight to have the fighters legally non-liable in the case of a death.

i probably won't be watching this show anymore I give it a 3/5.

"A Date with a Health Inspector"-
Surprisingly smart and metaphorical episode...I'll have to watch it again to really catch it all, but evidentally the whole episode is one giant metaphor for the 9/11, the Iraq war, etc.

Really hysterical too, I don't think I ever stopped laughing. I'm surprised there hasn't been much buzz about this show here; it's definitely a keeper.

"We was lookin' for weapons of mass destruction."
"...did you ever find 'em?"
"You know goddamn well we ain't find 'em! What are you, some kind of a political humorist?!?"

"The Reality" 5/5

This is the best episode i have seen in the series i have seen so far.

"Thay speak english in what?!"

†JTHM† said:
"The Reality" 5/5

It's "A Date with a Health Inspector" actually. For some reason info went out for "The Reality" instead (that one hasn't aired yet).

"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."
"Your father wants you to know he's nobody's bitch."
Gold.

It was Indeed a reference to the war in in Iraq.

Tom being mistakenly arrested- Racial profiling of Arabs
X-Box Killer = Osama Bin Laden
Wunceler the III = George W. Bush
Gin Rummy = Rumsfeld or Cheney
Wunce & Gin roughing up random black folks for information = the Patriot Act
Robbing the liquor store which is out of the way of the original plan- Invading Iraq/ catching Osama Bin ladin
Beer = Oil
Store owner = Saddam Hussein
Wun & Gin's insistence that the store owner had a gun = Our administration's belief that Saddam had WMD's
The confused cop = Tony Blair/ other countries
Store employees = Iraqi army
Tom being freed but the X-Box killer actually getting away & killing someone else = Using our military to free Iraq but forgetting our original plan of going after Osama & Al-Qaeda

Also the owner(Sadam) telling Ed(GWB) that his father(GHB) helped him set up the store(Iraq).

And the owner telling Ed that the Korean store north of there was the guy with the weapons. (Korea is known for having WOMD)

Also, Gin rummy characters logic (No proof of something is not proof of nothing) mirrors Bush's, too. and "I didn't know they would shoot back!" too.

Oh yeah, give the episode a 10/10!
Pulp Fiction/ Monty Python Jokes= Gold :D

"all the greatest fighters in the world were white. jack dempsey, rocky marciano, sylvester stallone, and don't forget ralph macchio!"

finally started watching this show, and i absolutely love it. "grandad's fight" was quite possibly the greatest episode i've seen of anything ever

This show just keeps getting better and better. Last week's was brilliant, too.

5/5 (both episodes)

I can't wait for next week's Christmas story.

Well, DtB, you've convinced me. I'll start watching. Adult Swim schedule is kind of nutty - when do new episodes air? Apologies for slight laziness, but I figure an answer here is more reliable than the Internet and less me-working intensive.

Sundays nights, after Family Guy (or American Dad, I don't really remember which...they have an hour of those two). The official time is 11:00, but you'll probably want to look at your listings or something.

And they always show it in the same slot, for the record.

EDIT: Now that I've seen it, solid episode this week. I don't really know much about gangsta rap, but I enjoyed the lampooning anyway, and there were a bunch of good lines. Callbacks to "Grandad's Fight" were nice too. 4/5

Last edited:
Bahaha, what is that line that Riley said when Gangstalicious's face was getting sucked? "Ew, they just busted a slob!" or something...haha, I cracked up when he said that.

Does this show have standalone episodes or should they be viewed in order? I was thinking of downloading one to see what it was like.

Viewing it in order might help, but it doesn't matter too much. I'd suggest "Trial of R. Kelly", "Grandad's Fight", or "A Date with a Health Inspector" to see this show at it's best (so far).

a few weeks ago, i kept thinking that this show was getting better and better. the xbox killer was pretty confusing and the gangstalicious one (while it had it's hilarious) just wasn't that good.

looking forward to the christmas one though.

I love the comic strip, and the TV series. Truly hilarious stuff. I am very interested in political topics. :cool:

The Christmas episode fucking ROCKED!!! :headbang

-Huey did the one thing Charlie Brown DIDN'T do when directing a Christmas play; he fired the slackers. :thumbsup
-Riley is becoming a terrorist...on gigantic proportions.
-I was glad to see a solo outing for Mr. McGruder.
-I'd love to know how Huey was able to get in touch with Quincy Jones, and how Jones himself was willing to go the long way with his project...
-I liked the other Peanuts swipes here, mostly when Huey was giving Granddad a lecture on the history of Christmas.
-I'm really enjoying the anime-styled art direction and designs for this show. The magna character designs are outstanding.

As I said, the episodes so far are only getting BETTER each week, which is an extreme rarity on television these days. The other thing that I'm liking about The Boondocks is that it's finally breaking new ground for African-American animation.

5/5

Anyone else think this show is a lot like KOTH, just in the way they present things in the stories?

A Huey Freeman Christmas-Only complaint here is actually with the comic strip. McGruder seems to be recycling some of the (great) material from this episode into the strip, which feels a little cheap to me.

But another great episode anyway. All the Charlie Brown references made me laugh, and I love that it sort of mixed a small amount of sweetness with the overall cynicism. 4.5/5

Another thing I forgot to mention is that with all the energy Huey put into making an extravagant Christmas play, he never thought about lamenating the contract.

I caught part of the Christmas special. Funny, as always. I didn't really see enough to give it a grade though.

DotheBartman said:
Only complaint here is actually with the comic strip. McGruder seems to be recycling some of the (great) material from this episode into the strip, which feels a little cheap to me.

My guess would be that it's for the fans of the strip that don't have cable.

Back