The advancement of modern technology, i.e the Internet, has made 21st century life soulless and shit

Oddly enough I'm watching a movie right now called "Disconnect". Jason Bateman's in it. It's your typical "Dark side of the internet" fare. People being tricked into sending nude pics by bullies, people stealing credit card info, teenagers living in dodgy houses doing sexual stuff to earn money for scumbags on webcam sites, all that shit.

Interestingly enough though, none of the people being put in life destroying sexual situations are female. The people working for the cam site are all young guys and the person tricked into sending nude photos is this quiet emo guy.

Why all the distance in existence
Join the resistance
Come on, let's start by talking tactics
With pepper-pots and matchsticks
Here's how we practice the lost art of conversation
David Jason - Francis Bacon - Frank Lampard
It's gonna take some concentration
But all the best things do

Sounds interesting Shaunbadia. I'm not even high but I can't help but feel how the world is a lot less 'connected' even though the world is actually a lot more connected. I've never even talked to my neighbour, although that's possibly more a British thing of being more reserved and all that bollocks.

Nice hammster, nice...

I stand corrected on the "Only guys lives are ruined" thing going on in that movie. Shit has gone belly up for a female news journalist who was reporting on the guys doing the webcam shows.

Oh, and as for neighbours. Yeah, I barely know any of mine. I know about 3 of them. An old woman next door who was kind enough to let me use her phone when I was locked out of my house once, and 2 siblings about the same age as me. One who I knew from primary school before I moved into my current home and his sister who I met when I was hanging out with old friends on the other side of town when I was 14.

Eh, to me, I haven't seen many differences since the early-2000's, besides the modern technology being more popular. The internet is more popular, but it hasn't consumed to the point where society is souless. I'd say that'll happen at least at the end of the 2010's.

I'd say the most soulless thing about modern technology is mobile phones. People just can't take their eyes off the damn things no matter what sort of social event they're at. I find it to be one of the most off putting things a person can do.

Blackberry phones are probably the main culprit. Way too many notifications going off every 2 seconds for various things distracting people. Facebook, BBM, text messages etc.

I'd say the most soulless thing about modern technology is mobile phones. People just can't take their eyes off the damn things no matter what sort of social event they're at. I find it to be one of the most off putting things a person can do.

Blackberry phones are probably the main culprit. Way too many notifications going off every 2 seconds for various things distracting people. Facebook, BBM, text messages etc.
Thank god most of the culprits are teenagers, which I understand. Mobile phones have been a crutch for most teenagers since they were created, in fact. I'm admittedly a culprit.

Couldn't agree more. I just hate what appears to be our 'mapple generation' where we constantly need 24/7 information.

The worst of it is that the 24/7 information is about inane bullshit that gets posted on people's Facebook and Twitter accounts. It's not like these people are using their phones to keep up with actual news. They're more interested in posts about people getting shitfaced off of their gourds at an Avicii concert or something.

Thank god most of the culprits are teenagers, which I understand. Mobile phones have been a crutch for most teenagers since they were created, in fact. I'm admittedly a culprit.

The worst thing is that the current generation of teens and people in their early 20s is that most of them grew up having phones from the age of 10. I remember everyone (Myself included) getting this old thing and thinking it was the best thing ever
nokia-3210.jpg

In my case, I stopped giving a shit about phones once they got to the point of incorporating social networking sites into the mix of things you could do. I've had one smartphone in my life and it was given to me for nothing by a friend who was getting a new phone anyway. It was fine but the touch screen stopped working within a year, so I went back to my old phone.
samsung-e2120-id_1269242450.jpg

I have no desire to upgrade at the present time as it does all I need it to do anyway. Send text messages and make phone calls

The advancement of modern technology, i.e the Internet, has made 21st century life soulless and shit
I couldn't disagree more. I am a strong proponent of almost every kind of technological advancement. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. The internet makes the spread of information much easier, and while much of the information is wrong, that just means people have to use their critical thinking abilities more, making society in general more skeptical, which is always good (that most people don't think critically is more of a failure of education systems than anything else, IMO).

So anyway, back to technology. How long do you think it'll be before people start having sex with each other via virtual reality helmet like in that Sylvester Stallone movie, "Demolition Man"?

Well, you know, I hate how everyone has headphones on or looking at their phones constantly whenever they have free time. Try living without your gizmos for a day xx

I see people crossing the street wearing those Dr. Dre "Beats" earbuds in both ears and those things are fucking LOUD! They totally drown out any other sound around you. I'm amazed more people don't get run over due to not paying attention.

Same goes for the phones and stuff too but the earbud thing just perplexes the fuck out of me.

I'm half and half about it. I don't know anyone who is constantly on social media / their phone, but I hear about my younger friends' girlfriends being that way. One friend had a thirteen year old girlfriend who would text him constantly when they were apart, but when they were together she'd text her mate constantly. I rarely even hear my phone in public, so effectively my use of it is about equal to checking my home answer machine from work, except that I can make necessary calls from almost anywhere. I don't talk to people much.

I'd be pretty annoyed without a phone because already there are less often magazines in waiting rooms - not to mention not particularly wanting to lay palm on the things. Sites like FML come in handy in that sort of situation. Likewise, I hate long walks and drives unless I can listen to music - as I'm already somewhat hearing impaired I'm pretty good at not being hit by cars. I need and respect the internet, right down to defending it against SOPA and the like. So what if half the information is inaccurate? Our generation has gained vital research skills in the pure act of finding out that some of it's bullshit and learning to go to various sources before drawing any conclusions. Healthy skepticism and the like. And we've got worse at studying for a purpose, but better at studying for fun. Instead of staying up 'til 4am to watch free educational programming in the down hours, there are popular science programmes available on demand. The internet also has a massive human interest element, allowing me to become inspired in my writing of young adult characters without actually having to meet these oddballs in reality like I did at school. It's safe enough if you're not an idiot and your parents/teachers know what's really good for you.

i was at disneyland once and during the fireworks celebration everybody was watching it through recordings on their phones, not with their eyes for enjoyment at that time and it was really pissing me off.

and like.... it's fireworks. when in the future are you going to want to watch the footage?

Back