the a.v. club has started reviewing cowboy bebop

Great, great, fantastic, amazing, wonderful, terrific, awesome show, but not nearly the "God" of anime 99.9999% of people I see/meet say it is.

Plus, a.v. club lost much credibility with me with their bad Simpsons reviews, both modern and classic. I have no doubt some members here could and have written far superior reviews of the classics...

uh their reviews of classic simpsons (at least the ones i've read) have been great, so i don't know what you're talking about

well even if you don't like those reviews that just means that that author let you down, not the whole website/publication.

i personally haven't ever been able to get into any of the writing of that guy that reviews B:TAS.

Funny you should mention that, just read I Married Marge and, naturally, it was far better than the others I've read, but that ending line about how the show "used to have a soul" really seemed rather unnecessary and annoying. Sigh, I guess that's a discussion for another topic though. Most of the classic reviews they've done have been either too short, or too short and full of spelling errors as I recall, though admittedly I haven't read any of them in over a month. I think it was War of the Simpsons that was especially poor if I'm not mistaken. I could check, but meh...

EDIT: Darren, sarcasm or not, I believe they haven't given ANY episode an A yet!

well if that comment is annoying then maybe the writers of the new simpsons episodes should try giving the show a soul

I know it comes off as ignorant or just plain wrong in this day and age, but maybe people still enjoy the show? However, I found it more-so annoying for the fact that he writes a nice review, but ends it with a jab at the modern show. Deserved or not, I see this in almost EVERY Simpsons review I read anymore and it gets to me after awhile. Watch any classic clip on youtube and read the comments for example...they're all like that. It REALLY gets annoying and he didn't need to point it out there but whatever.

And alright he CAN give out As, but not as often as I'd personally like...

he gave itchy and scratchy and marge an A
Completely deserved. But Sub not getting an A was just weird imo. But I hope whoever is doing the Cowboy reviews does it as good as most of the reviews on the site.

usually it's because some people are so embarrassed about the bad episodes of the simpsons that they have to make it clear that they aren't implying that they like the dull show that the simpsons has become

hell i can't say the simpsons is my favourite show without adding "the first 8 seasons, of course"

usually it's because some people are so embarrassed about the bad episodes of the simpsons that they have to make it clear that they aren't implying that they like the dull show that the simpsons has become

hell i can't say the simpsons is my favourite show without adding "the first 8 seasons, of course"

Fair enough, but I feel it is still used more often than need be in Simpsons discussion in general, but especially when discussing the classics. I guess I got off topic though huh? I apologize for making this into yet another Simpsons debate thread.

yeah but i was just saying why i thought people did that so much, i wasn't necessarily defending it. but you're probably right, you should be able to talk about early simpsons and judge them in their own right without bringing everybody down by reminding them of new simpsons with some snarky comment (not saying the av club reviewer was being snarky, just speaking generally).

on the other hand, there can never be enough snarky comments. that's what like half of my posts are

I know it comes off as ignorant or just plain wrong in this day and age, but maybe people still enjoy the show? However, I found it more-so annoying for the fact that he writes a nice review, but ends it with a jab at the modern show. Deserved or not, I see this in almost EVERY Simpsons review I read anymore and it gets to me after awhile. Watch any classic clip on youtube and read the comments for example...they're all like that. It REALLY gets annoying and he didn't need to point it out there but whatever.

And alright he CAN give out As, but not as often as I'd personally like...
worst new boarder™

oh, that's raspberry! seems like one of the more solid new GD posters from what i've read

but the simpsons is just awful now, seriously

As I said, great series. Favorite character is Jet, favorite episode is Ganymede Elegy. That ending comes off as so very bitter yet somehow fulfilling to me.

Also, if I really am the worst new boarder because I might still enjoy the Simpsons then fine, but well...it saddens me...

i've seen the series twice but i've never seen the movie

my favourite characters are spike and ed, my favourite episode is hard luck woman

Hard Luck Woman has that great song during the ending scenes right? A fine episode to be sure, but one I find, along with the last 2, to be a "popular choice", not bad of course though.

I have seen the film and its fine but I think I prefer the series as a whole.

I also love Speak Like a Child. The ending is a bit too contrived, but it still gets me every time. Great, great episode.

nearly started watching it last month, after a startling 10+ year delay (used to watch a lot of anime in high school, including shitty ones i knew were shitty but i didn't care because JAPAN). evangelion is still one of my favorite things ever. but for whatever reason this never piqued my interest much back then, despite the immense praise. i've since seen bits and pieces on [as] but i can't stand english dubs unless they're for straight comedies. but i have the entire series queued up, subbed, so i might as well knock it out this week

then i shall head into chinatown and buy a faye valentine wall scroll to place next to rei ayanami

the english dub on this is seriously as good as or better than the original japanese, i actually highly recommend it

funny, i recently almost bought evangelion without ever seeing it

I always felt way too dumb because I could never understand the ending to Evangelion, plus Shinji was too whiny a protagonist from what I remember, haven't seen that series in years. Loved the opening theme though.

Cowboy Bebop's dub is fantastic, seriously, I highly recommend it.

yeah seriously that show can't possibly be as good as its opening theme

haha yeah i've heard about those episodes, it oddly does sound right up my alley

i'm definitely seeing the show eventually, in fact i think i'll just go ahead and buy it

the english dub on this is seriously as good as or better than the original japanese, i actually highly recommend it

Funny. My cousin prefers the original version over the dub, yet my friends prefer the dub (her preference, I guess). But then again, can you REALLY go wrong with Steven Blum?

Anywho, I haven't seen enough of Cowboy Bebop to really say I'm a fan of it (despite having an avatar of Spike for a time) but I do enjoy some of the soundtracks (not including the awesomeness of "Tank") and would like to give it more of a chance.

Back