Steal This Episode vs. Bart the Bad Guy

• Steal This Episode

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Bart the Bad Guy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bohdan

СЛАВА УКРАЇНІ!!! ГЕРОЯМ СЛАВА!!!
Do I need to explain why I chose these episodes?

Steal This Episode by quite some distance. I like Bart The Bad Guy, but I find the conclusion a bit outlandish and the satire isn't nearly as sharp as Steal This Episode. Steal This Episode is one of episodes I'd say captures the essence of classic Simpsons. Really reminiscent of the show in it's prime. Absolute masterpiece of an episode.

Obviously Steal This Episode. I didn't like Bart The Bad Guy as much as some others do, giving it a 3/5, because it just doesn't seem super great. It's still good, but Steal This Episode is perfectly done. Brilliant satire throughout, and is was also funny as well. I personally think only a few episodes are as good as STE in the modern era, and personally, it's my favorite of the modern era.

'Steal This Episode' is easily my choice here. I do find 'Bart The Bad Guy' a very good (if not great) episode with a lot to like, but 'Steal' is the superior one (in terms of how the plot as well as the characters, the humor and the parodic & satiricial elements are handled).

It is one of the best satirical episodes of the HD era and still feeling current with its take on movie piracy (while I think 'Bart The Bad Guy' and its take on the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the current popularity of superhero movies will date it sooner, but the spoiler culture satire oughta make it hold up for years to come so it is nice it works in two ways).

'Steal' is one of my favorite modern episodes, up there with 'Halloween Of Horror' & 'The Book Job', but 'Bad Guy' is still a solid episode that is almost as great, just falling a little short in comparison.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone here thinks Bart the Bad Guy is genuinely the better episode, if you think so please leave a reply I'd like to see your argument.

I doubt anyone here thinks Bart the Bad Guy is genuinely the better episode, if you think so please leave a reply I'd like to see your argument.

Yes, I see, that for most people prefer STE a way better.:P (I need to rewatch it)

So I paraphrase the question: what "Bart the Bad Guy" missed from equating with/surpassing "Steal This Episode"?:raise:
Both are movie-related episodes, showrunned by Selman, include movie piracy problem, when some from the Simpsons family got "power" (in STE Homer got power of illgegal watching, in BtBG Bart got spoiler power). So, why the recent one isn't as hit as other?

Well, both are among the strongest episodes of the HD era in my opinion and both have their qualities and their flaws. I think the satire is better executed in Steal This Episode, but I do like the structure of Bart the Bad Guy a bit more, which cleverly reflects the structure of a superhero movie or comic book of some sort. Steal This Episode is a bit clumsy with its use of guests stars, and Bart the Bad Guy can appear more "dated" due to his (less or more subtle) references to current superheroes movies (even if, fortunately, it's far from being the main focus), though I do believe the satire about spoilers will remain relevant for a moment.

I wonder what the results would be like if more people take part of this debate since Bart the Bad Guy was very well received when it came out. Personally, I'd say Steal This Episode too but frankly by a short margin.

Last edited:
'Bart The Bad Guy' is still very well recieved, no? I think most are picking 'Steal This Episode' since they just find it works better as a whole (myself included), not because it ('Bad Guy') is a shoddy episode or anything that negative (I still really like that one and the whole comic book movie vibe and reerences). It is still a well liked episode but I definitely see why 'Steal' is more beloved.

To elaborate a little on why I like 'Steal' more, it's that I feel that with the general movie piracy plot it is not as specific with the story or satire as 'Bad Guy' (which heavily focused on parodying the MCU, though the spoiler satire is broader and helps) and the last act is not as strong as the last one of 'Steal', which felt a little more grounded throughout (plus I never minded the guest stars in 'Steal'.

I think the movie celebrities there made sense as it's a story about movie piracy and I didn't feel it was clumsy. I honestly found the Russo brothers role in 'Bad Guy' more forced than any celeb appearance in 'Steal', despite the former being it's a MCU spoof and they directed some of the franchises most popular movies. It wasn't a bad appearance, but they felt a little wedged in.

Both episodes are truly amazing. They both have a great story, plenty of hilarious moments, fantastic social commentaries, and perfect characterizations.

But I prefer Steal this Episode by a tiny margin. That episode is more grounded and the conflict is more believable. The satire is slightly sharper and bolder (it aims at everyone, without being one-sided and being reasonably intelligent in both perspectives). Also, the comedy is just better (to the point I think Steal this episode is the funniest episode of the entire HD era).

The animation is better in Bart the Bad Guy, though, but it is the only aspect where it takes advantage.

'Bart The Bad Guy' is still very well recieved, no? I think most are picking 'Steal This Episode' since they just find it works better as a whole (myself included), not because it ('Bad Guy') is a shoddy episode or anything that negative (I still really like that one and the whole comic book movie vibe and reerences). It is still a well liked episode but I definitely see why 'Steal' is more beloved.

Yes I know, but since the replies here were kinda like "well obviously Steal This Episode is better by a long margin", I thought a number of people habe a problem with Bart the Bad Guy, aha. And that can be the case of course, and I'd understand if it is.

I think the movie celebrities there made sense as it's a story about movie piracy and I didn't feel it was clumsy. I honestly found the Russo brothers role in 'Bad Guy' more forced than any celeb appearance in 'Steal', despite the former being it's a MCU spoof and they directed some of the franchises most popular movies. It wasn't a bad appearance, but they felt a little wedged in.

Those are fair points. To be honest I haven't seen Steal This Episode in a while, and back then that was one of my gripes about it but that can change when I'll rewatch it. But personally, even if they in a way are more forced in than the guests from STE, I don't think the Russo Brothers are completely useless. I really like what they add to the satire towards blockbusters that can't fail at theaters at all costs. But yeah, I guess the ones from STE moved the plot along in a more "grounded" way than the Russos did (though I'm perfectly fine with the way the conflict is solved in BTBG, as cruel as it seems like).

Points well taken, [MENTION=78686]Wile E. the Brain[/MENTION].

I definitely do not think a lot of folks on this board have that of a big problem with 'Bart The Bad Guy' even if it could be seen like that with how everyone so easily takes 'Steal This Episode' over it. As for the other thing, I think the Russo brothers' appearance and the usage of them to drive home the point of the satire on blockbuster made sense, it's just that I think their part felt a little crammed in there and as if could have been replaced by original characters & nothing would really change (also, I see nothing wrong in liking the solution of 'Bad Guy', even if it was a little over the top with the VR simulation and I prefer what they did in 'Steal').

Also, give 'Steal This Episode' a rewatch if it has been a while and if you're really thinking of doing so because of this discussion. It is an episode deserving of more than a few viewings.

(also, I see nothing wrong in liking the solution of 'Bad Guy', even if it was a little over the top with the VR simulation and I prefer what they did in 'Steal')

Yes it's a bit over the top but I think it fits well considering the nature of the whole episode, it probably would have looked more inappropriate if it was in a more grounded one. Also, for the record, when I said "as cruel as it seems like", I was referring to the ending itself, with Bart being convinced to stop doing the wrong thing thanks to a VR simulation and Homer and Marge being totally fine with that. I didn't mind it (again, thanks to the nature of the episode and the way the plot was handled to begin with), but I'd understand if some people did.

Oh yes I sure am gonna give Steal This Episode a rewatch soon. Despite what I said, I have good memories of this one outside of a handful of things like the ending if it wasn't already clear, but I still have good enough memories to consider this one the best episode of season 25 and one of the best the HD era has to offer.

[MENTION=78686]Wile E. the Brain[/MENTION], Yeah, I understand regarding the VR sequence (it did fit and work really well with the plot). Regarding the other thing, I had no problem with Homer & Marge being OK with the VR trick (Bart deserved it since he was out of control with his weaponization of spoilers). Also, speaking of Homer, I love the little plot thread that he doesn't give a crap about comic book movies and smugly thinks they are "Boring BS for babies" (which so perfectly encapsulates those who don't get the whole appeal of the superhero movies and often appear as contrarians).

'Steal This Episode' is for sure one of the best of the HD era but very likely Top 3 modern episodes to me. It's not classic era fantastic but great in it's own right, both being clever, funny and having a bit of an edge to it.

Back