STAR WARS (untagged spoilers, yo)

What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

• Total voters
Kinda sad to see Rebels coming to an end with this next season. I've enjoyed it a lot so far and I hope they will come up with a great finale (would be nice if they did tie it in with Rogue One as previously rumored).

Directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller are off the Han Solo movie due to 'creative differences'.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/s...phil-lord-christopher-miller-exit-1202473743/
https://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-kathleen-kennedy-director-fired-1202473919/

Also, I've noticed that the panic mode regarding Colin Trevorrow directing Episode IX has been increased due to his new film The Book Of Henry flopping and getting poor reviews.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-colin-trevorrow-replacement-director

Last edited:
Sources at the Hollywood Reporter frame the situation differently and state that Miller and Lord were fired because they couldn't get along with Lawrence Kasdan (especially over the more comedic direction the duo wanted the film to go into, and making Han more of a comedic character), and Kennedy and the rest of Lucasfilm sided with Kasdan.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...y-han-solo-movie-directors-were-fired-1015474

Regardless of who the duo had the biggest issues with, it's still kind of disappointing to hear Miller and Lord getting booted out of the project, though I can understand why, since I've heard that Lucasfilm wanted to focus on a serious western-style theme for the film and it might not fit with Miller and Lord's signature tongue-in-cheek style of film making.. I guess since Lucasfilm had Rogue One reshoot and it was still a huge critical success, they feel more embolden to make more creative control of the films, even if it means kicking out the directors.

That's also why I don't feel worried about Ep. 9, since if anything goes wrong, Lucasfilm will probably just take over the project.

This is so fucking stupid. Making the Han Solo movie comedic might actually make it a little more interesting than it would've been otherwise. We already have the official Star Wars movies which are serious, what's so bad about a more comedic spin-off?

Lucasfilm are morons, frankly.

Looks like Ron Howard will take over as director for the Han Solo movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...an-solo-movie-ron-howard-steps-direct-1015674

If they didn't want it comedic, why did they hire them in the first place?

Some sources claimed they were hired because Lucasfilm wanted to add some comedic elements to the film, by Miller and Lord wanted to turn the film into a full-fledged comedy, so they got kicked off the project for it (that and Lucasfilm didn't like them encouraging improvisation from the actors).

As for if its true....who knows? Maybe Lucasfilm only hired them to have some big named directors on the project, only to fire them when they couldn't get along in the end.

I saw Ron Howard's name coming up as a rumor several days ago and now he has been confirmed. Considering his past with Lucasfilm (mainly the work he did on Willow) I think he'll handle this film well.

Kathleen even has an interview from a while back of why she chose unconventional directorial choices, that she didn't want the movies to be samey. Now she fired them because their approach resulted in a movie unlike other Star Wars movies and replaced them with bland, corporate Ron Howard.

I don't think this is entirely on her though. Once TFA made a shitload of money, suddenly things started happening like Edwards having Rogue One taken from him in post, now this. I think this is Iger and Alan Horn coming down hard on her, demanding samey films to better guarantee a more profitable take similar to TFA. Very short-sighted and dumb imo, eventually this will bite Bobby in the ass.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ls-behind-phil-lord-chris-miller-exit-1016619

That day the two used only three different setups — that is, three variations on camera placement — as opposed to the 12 to 15 that Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy had expected, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. Not only was the going slow, but the few angles that had been shot did not provide a wealth of options to use in editing the movie.

But the source close to Lord and Miller acknowledges they have always worked in an improvisational style and not just to add comedic elements. "They collaborate closely with their actors and give them creative freedom that, in their experience, brings out the actors' best performances," this person says. "Lawrence Kasdan would not allow this and demanded that every line was said word for word. To appease him and the studio, Lord and Miller would do several takes exactly as written and then shoot additional takes."

So they did takes without improv, they just didn't use enough cameras (???)

Wait, I don't understand, If they didn't like the performance of the lead in the Han Solo movie, why did they even hire him in the first place? I actually don't recognize the actor they picked for Han Solo, so I have no idea if he's suppose to some bigshot from an indie film that Lucasfilm picked up or what.

I don't think this is entirely on her though. Once TFA made a shitload of money, suddenly things started happening like Edwards having Rogue One taken from him in post, now this. I think this is Iger and Alan Horn coming down hard on her, demanding samey films to better guarantee a more profitable take similar to TFA. Very short-sighted and dumb imo, eventually this will bite Bobby in the ass.

I actually think it has more to do with Rouge One then TFA. Once Rogue One came out and was still a huge box office and critical success even after Lucasfilm heavily interfered in its production by kicking out Edwards, the experience seems to have given them a free pass to make as many changes to a Star Wars film as they see fit, for better or for worse.

I still don't think the guy even looks the part ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wait, I don't understand, If they didn't like the performance of the lead in the Han Solo movie, why did they even hire him in the first place? I actually don't recognize the actor they picked for Han Solo, so I have no idea if he's suppose to some bigshot from an indie film that Lucasfilm picked up or what.

Yeah, he doesn't look the part at all and having to get him an acting coach is worrisome (and hiring him when they apparently were unsure and/or though they had made the right decision was pretty dumb) on top of Lord & Miller getting fired and replaced well into the project & all the apparent micromanaging. What a mess.

Maybe they should have hired that guy Anthony Ingruber guy a lot of folks keep saying is the best pick because he looks and sounds like a young Harrison Ford (and he was apparently one of those considered for the part). I haven't seen him anything or even heard about him before everyone started to want him for the role but I guess he would have been a better choice.

So what do you others think of "Colingate" (the big uproar on Colin Trevorrow directing IX and a lot of people wanting him removed from the film due to his past work, most recently the flop 'The Book Of Henry', and the sexism in them, the latter of which seem to be the biggest source of discussion and the main source of worry & fear)?

I don't know really exactly what do say, but I think the hate and fear has gotten ridiculous and kinda ugly (as I've noticed on Jedi Council Forums' "Colin Trevorrow directing IX" thread) even though I'm not assured he's up to the task (it still kinda feels the hiring of him was a kneejerk reaction to Jurassic World being a box office success), but I'm still willing to have a bit of faith and be cautiously optimistic in Lucasfilm's choice of director and see how things will progress.

Meh, I honestly have no real concerns. At this point, it seems more like Lucasfilm are the ones really in charge of directing the Star Wars films and the actual directors themselves are just mostly there for their visual and filming styles then anything else. Not to mention it's pretty clear now Lucasfilm can just veto or fire anyone that disagrees with their vision. Unless the Han Solo film or Episode VIII ends up being a failure, I have no worries that Episode IX will turn out fine.

And besides, their not going to fire Trevorrow unless he is unable to get along with Lucasfilm (such as Lord and Miller) or gets into some nasty controversy by acting like a jackass behind-the-scenes on a film he's working on (like with Josh Trank).

I'll admit, I do find the idea that Trevorrow was only hired because Jurrasic World was a box office hit to be plausible, much like the idea that Gareth Edwards was only hired to do Rogue One because Godzilla (2014) was also a box office hit.

I think his life has been pretty well-documented, I dunno how they can do it without stepping on the toes of other material

They have had no problem steamrolling things that was told in the old Expanded Universe so I don't think that would be an issue now either.

I think an Obi-Wan movie could work fairly well with the right director (and it's a better and more natural choice than a young Han Solo one; I'm kinda surprised they didn't do this film before the Han one).

So I watched the prequels for the first time last week. They weren't bad imho. They definitely got better with each one, as 1 is the worst and 3 is the best. Rewatching the original trilogy now so I can watch The Force Awakens to remember the story as I play the Lego game, and then I'll be watching Rogue One, which I have yet to see.

Last edited:
Re: all the Star Wars directors drama... yeah, the property has always been Lucasfilm's and they can do with it what they like. That's just how things work and if Miller and Lord were doing shit that Lucasfilm didn't want them to do, and they didn't stop after being told to stop, then firing them was understandable. Lucasfilm has canned projects and sacked people before (namely, there are a list of now-EU books that got killed in the cradle). It's always been their boat to steer.

I don't think we need a young Han Solo movie but whatever, i'll see it when it comes out, train wreck or not. I think a young Obi-Wan movie sounds better simply because I'd like to see Ewan McGregor doing the role again without the surrounding stink of the prequels on him.

McGregor as Obi-Wan has always been said to be one of the highlights of the prequels so I definitely think it's the best (and one of the most obvious) character spinoff ideas thus far and I can see it be quite a good movie, "prequel stink" or not.

ron howard: i'm on it

no but seriously this seemed likely ever since book of henry bombed horribly. not like they weren't going to micromanage him to hell but i'm sure there was always that risk

Back