STAR WARS (untagged spoilers, yo)

What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

• Total voters
• Ambiguity of politics. The destruction of the New Republic's system would have been stronger if they left in that one scene that shows Leia's messenger pleading with the senate for support just moments before the planet was destroyed. The actress was featured front and center before the planet blew up. I know, I know. Some people cannot stand politics in Star Wars, but you cannot have wars without politics. Wars are not simple good guy vs. bad guy scenarios. It would have been nice to show that the New Republic does not support the Resistance and that they had become blind to the First Order's power.

I think the overkill of tossing the politics into the background for the fans to swallow up through different avenues was an intentional decision. Disney and Abrams were constantly aware that they just couldn't risk doing anything that would remind people of the prequels, so the politics just had to be vague and rarely touched upon.

Would not be shocked if some things get expounded upon in Ep 8.

i didn't like the nazi-esque conference where the first order announced and launched the attack that destroyed the republic's planets. also the two instances of "TRAITOR!", first by the one stormtrooper and then later on by kylo. just little things like that that bugged me/i thought were dumb.

i didn't like the nazi-esque conference where the first order announced and launched the attack that destroyed the republic's planets.

I think that was appropriate under the circumstances, they were preparing a huge strike against their enemies so a bit of pumping up the soldiers for battle seemed in order.

also the two instances of "TRAITOR!", first by the one stormtrooper and then later on by kylo. just little things like that that bugged me/i thought were dumb.

How were they supposed to react? From their point of view, especially a stormtrooper's, Finn was a traitor. He was responsible for breaking out Poe and caused a huge amount of damage/lost lives in the process. It would be weirder if they didn't react to him with some anger.

Sounds like they have serious tone issues with the first cut. I'm cautiously optimistic that Disney is at least being self-reflective about the project (unlike Lucas) and is interested in the feel of the movie. But this part...

UPDATE #2: THR reports that studio execs felt like Rogue One was “tonally off with what a ‘classic’ Star Wars movie should feel like,” adding that one source described it as “having the feel of a war movie.” The goal of the reshoots, according to THR, is to “lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure.” Some have suggested that the reshoots will be used as an opportunity to introduce Ehrenreich’s version of Han Solo in Rogue One.

...Makes me wonder if we're going to be able to see where all the cuts and additions were. Where certain elements will feel tacked on and we can tell what they added later. Could be distracting. Hopefully it won't and it'll be for the better.

My issue with the reshoots is that the whole notion of the A Star Wars Story films were that they would not only exist outside the Saga, but explore new tones and genres. But nope, Disney top brass thought it felt too much like a war movie (which is what it is) and wants it to feel like a 'classic' Star Wars movie... which isn't that the tone the Sequel Trilogy is already going for?

Reminds me of how they want every Marvel movie to have the same sort of tone.

I guess the tone thing could become kind of a problem over time, but I feel like they're still in the earlier stages of getting things settled in before they get really experimental. We had 3 original movies that "felt" like Star Wars in the 70s and 80s, but when the prequels were released, a lot of people came down on them for how different they felt (among other things). I feel like the Disney execs are probably erring on the side of caution right now, so as to not rock the boat while they have a good thing happening. Then again, movie execs always go for what is safe, I guess.

The Marvel thing does bug me, though, so I would like to see them experiment more in the future. Maybe the spin-off movies are the place to do it? I just get a little nervous about the internet throwing a tantrum and the movie becoming a thing.

yeah, it is pretty stupid, but disney didn't like the original cut of rouge one and decided to reshoot it, and what disney says is law at this point.

that being said, these reshoots are very worrying, to the point that i'm scared they might ruin the point of the movie.

Looks pretty darn good. I'm excited

Was it already confirmed that  Darth Vader's in it?  This was the first I'd heard of it. Pretty cool.

Trailer looks good.

Hope those reshoots don't end up killing this movie like it did with Suicide Squad.

Kinda weird how after all the exposure and hype TFA was getting among the general populace over a full year in advance of its release, not a soul outside the internet/fandom scope still seems to even have a clue Rogue One exists (at least in my experience). Though I guess that's a good thing - there's definitely a risk of oversaturation with what Disney has planned, and while I don't know any actual fans of the franchise IRL, just about everyone else I know is sick of hearing about it and hates it on principle just because of how aggressively-marketed TFA was.

In any case, looks good, looking forward to it, but echoing AlphaOmega's worries about the reshoots. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
RIP

I read about it earlier today and it's sad; some might not think he mattered much as R2 was and is mostly remote controlled but I think he made a difference since with him, the famous droid had a soul.

Kind of disappointed by that, but I love Giacchino's work so I think he'll be a good fit. He came up with some great themes for the new Star Trek films, after all.

One person who I would like to see score a Star Wars anthology film is Kevin Kiner, who does an amazing job with both TCW and Rebels. I was watching Rebels season two last night and was blown away by how good and emotive the score was in the part where Zeb is helping to find the Lasat homeworld.

I was hyped before but I'm even more hyped now!

Mads Mikkelsen giving me serious One Eye/Vahalla Rising flashbacks.

Loved the increased look at Krennic. I still lovingly call him Grand Admiral Rayburn, though.

I'm guessing Saw Guerrerra is gonna go out in a blaze of glory at the end. 

I only now just read up about Harrison Ford breaking his leg & other injuries in the early filming process of Force Awakens?.. Wow! thats rough.. The older you get the longer it takes for broken bones to mend.. and him being 70+?
I wonder how production schedules worked around this injury?

[MENTION=13489]GatorGhost[/MENTION]: Well it's not like you can't look that up online

I'm still feeling a sympathy pain for Mr Ford.. I though a plane crash concusion was the last of his ouchies?
Not good at that deep search stuff. too much work.. was kinda hoping for a recap from someones with a cool opinion on the sub.. thats why i only get 95% of my star wars news outta this thread...
was worth a try :gatorshrug2:

A door fell on him and almost killed him. They rearranged the schedule around his injury.

So says 1 second of Google search result skimming. Didn't even open any links.

Back