STAR TREK

@Smear-Gel, Hoping you'll have some time eventually to share your complete thoughts on the 'Discovery' finale (and maybe comment on anything I said on it, if there's anything of my writing you'd like to give your two cents on). Looking forward to it already :D

In the meantime, I'm thinking back on 'Discovery' as a whole and even though it was a really rocky ride with multiple problems (especially in terms of its storytelling and character writing, often falling onto overused and/or just shoddy tropes and weird obsessions that came off as kinda annoying), I still believe it had enough good episodes, moments and various aspects to have been worth my while and time.

Even though the haters would disagree, I still think it felt like 'Star Trek', but really far removed from what most would expect and want from the franchise. Still had the exploration and all, even though it slanted more toward the more personal, "human adventure" side of things.

Last edited:
Wasn't a fan of the forced unnecessary fight between the two (kinda bothered me that Burnham, for essentially no reason, ignited the fight instead of trying to converse with Moll into a teamup & when the pointless fight, which I thought was shoddily shot and edited to boot, was over and they made peace, it really felt like the episode could've just cut the fight entirely and lost nothing
This is the most obvious problem. Every fight scene in this episode was wasted time and not very good. The Burnham ones were pretty boring, and the ship one was just "lets fly into this thing only we see that takes out every enemy ship at once." Just looking at it as a season finale, big chunks of it felt very pointless.

Realistically, them tossing the tech or losing it or it falling into a black hole was the only solution and I kind of expected that from the start, my only thing is I expected them to revive Booker's species with a few people first, plant the new world tree and have the season finale be the re-emergence of that species. It's strange just how much that was being set up only for it to not be done.

It also felt strange to devote the entire final scene to a Short Trek the current crew wasnt even involved in. Apparently that was going to be the plot for season 6 and so they didnt want it unaddressed so they did it. Other than that, the addition was good. Second half was better than the first for sure.

Just looking at it as a season finale, big chunks of it felt very pointless.

Yeah, I think that sums up my biggest issue with the finale. A lot of the parts felt reall quite useless, the action scenes in particular (and yep, the Burnham vs. Moll fight scene was the worst as it served no point other than to have an obligatory fight scene; also I still hated the bit of Burnham grabbing the idiot ball by turning her back on Moll, which only happened because the script had to have a reason for the latter to obviously betray her, and oh boy, they really could've handled that better). That and the direction with all the shakycam and spinning camera was just excessive and felt like they tried to make seem and feel more action-packed, to a fault.

Realistically, them tossing the tech or losing it or it falling into a black hole was the only solution and I kind of expected that from the start, my only thing is I expected them to revive Booker's species with a few people first, plant the new world tree and have the season finale be the re-emergence of that species. It's strange just how much that was being set up only for it to not be done.

I never expected them to bring back the Kweijans (Booker's species), but now that you mention it, it would've been kind of a neat solution to that plot thread, but at the same time, I can see why they didn't go with that and sent he tech into the black hole (the excuse that it is too dangerous to be used properly and will easily get exploited by bad people, while typical, do make sense).

But maybe they juggled the thought of bringing back that race of aliens and not just the world tree (latter as seen in the epilogue) prior to the show being cancelled at five seasons? I wouldn't rule that out as a possible intended follow-up in season 6.

It also felt strange to devote the entire final scene to a Short Trek the current crew wasnt even involved in. Apparently that was going to be the plot for season 6 and so they didnt want it unaddressed so they did it. Other than that, the addition was good. Second half was better than the first for sure.

This I did mention as odd (and still guessing that was the part you mentioned in your last post there), but considering they planned to do more in the season 6 that never happened, I can have some understanding for wanting a solution to it here and now in the last minute.

Nice to see that you agree with me that the second half was better than the super clunky first half. Watching it, was torn on it and didn't think I'd end up enjoying it due to the issues, but then it got better halfway in and improved a bit.

It ended up being fine. I think something I thought was that the wedding scene at the end where everyone was together finally felt earned, in a way a lot of touching moments in previous seasons didnt

It ended up being fine. I think something I thought was that the wedding scene at the end where everyone was together finally felt earned, in a way a lot of touching moments in previous seasons didnt

I too think that felt earned as an ending (and why not end a show with a wedding of two of the characters?), plus did feel like a nice coda to the series (as was the very final bit of Burnham reminiscing of her crew celebrating, which also interestingly had both Detmer & Owosekun present despite the two not appearing in the season prior, apparently due to the actresses being busy).

It barely was a blip on my radar I swear. Just looking forward to Lower Decks and SNW, while wondering if I should drop the Greatest Gen podcast after they went way too easy on the mpreg ep of Enterprise s1.

It barely was a blip on my radar I swear.

Sure it was..... :P

Just looking forward to Lower Decks and SNW

Lower Decks in August will be sweet, but before that it is Prodigy's return in July, as said (but I assume you're not watching it). SNW is still really far away so I won't be really awaiting it just yet, but once it happens (next year, hopefully), I'm there :D

Insert that old adage about love and hate being on the same side of a coin with the other side being indifference, cause that's me, on the other side of the coin.

Prodigy I generally just watch the highlights that do cross my radar and sound interesting to give a go, like the Janeway body swap stuff which was indeed delightful and well worth watching.

Insert that old adage about love and hate being on the same side of a coin with the other side being indifference, cause that's me, on the other side of the coin.

I think I know what you're getting at, so I'm gonna say "Yes".

Prodigy I generally just watch the highlights that do cross my radar and sound interesting to give a go, like the Janeway body swap stuff which was indeed delightful and well worth watching.

Just curious about why you only watched bits and pieces & some select episodes.

I absolutely think that Prodigy is well worth watching in full for any 'Trek' fan. It's a solid premise and story with good arcs, a likeable interesting cast a lot of good episodes/ideas/themes etc. and some solid payoffs (so far, at least), but I guess I can understand why some fans wouldn't click with it (especially if they only gave the first two-three episodes a chance).

Just curious about why you only watched bits and pieces & some select episodes.

Time and access investment mainly. When it was coming out the only was I could watch it was via being part of an Orion Syndicate, and the initial look of it and what I was hearing didn't convince me it was worth it. Followed the discussion out of interest so I did go out of my way to obtain the bodyswap episode which was great. I think my favourite bit might have been the meeting of the holo and real Janeway though the finger-phasers were pretty fun too. Then when I did have it on streaming I'd already followed along with what happened enough to not be worth the time watching the whole thing.

Well, I get your points. But if you do have the time and access to the show as a whole, I absolutely think it is worth the time to watch it it through from the beginning, not skipping any episodes or such, even if/though you have seen this and/or that episode.

Lots of good episodes of course and arcs, of course, and when viewed as a cohesive whole and everything clicks into place it really feels rewarding (including rewatches of episodes you've already seen, in which I think one would discover new things, especially in context). So yeah, I do think it is worth seeing in full and get the complete experience, maybe especially now with season 2 being about to released (?).

I think @Smear-Gel (whom I know has also seen it in full) can attest to that, too.

The whole show is worth watching, and the story is semi-serialized, but I do think its fine to watch a few key episodes now and then dive into the whole series later on when you have the time. That or just take it slow, the show is broken up into 10 episode chunks and you can just watch a few at a time and be fine

The whole show is worth watching, and the story is semi-serialized, but I do think its fine to watch a few key episodes now and then dive into the whole series later on when you have the time. That or just take it slow, the show is broken up into 10 episode chunks and you can just watch a few at a time and be fine

Yeah, I think that is putting it well. I like how several episodes can be watched in isolation & as part of the whole serialized aspect they work even better, but yeah, if one doesn't wanna see all as soon as possible, I think watching it when one has the time and/or in chunks is a good bet.

i'm halfway through season 4 of voyager and i'm about to give up. is the second half of the series better than the first?

i'm halfway through season 4 of voyager and i'm about to give up. is the second half of the series better than the first?
I'm guessing you just watched Mortal Coil aka one of the single worst episodes of Trek to exist? Yeah it's mostly all uphill from there well at least until some certain episodes in season 6 anyway.

Back half of season 4 is generally mostly on the better side of the show I'd say, outside of a couple more duds, and it does include one of the best episodes they ever did.
 It's their take on doing something like the mirror universe concept and I do think it's better than any of the DS9 episodes set in that actual alternate reality  

I'd also suggest sticking around for season 5 at least as that's pretty consistently good, and is my personal favourite season of the show.

haha i'm on the episode right before that! appreciate the insight, i'll stick it out.

I'd say it is worth pressing on with 'Voyager', @zach.

Kinda curious on how you dislike season 4 so far when it is usually named the best season of the show by the fans, but I can see why some would not find it all that good, but the second half is indeed better (though I find season 5 to be a lot better; show's best year IMO).

By the way, have you seen any of the prior shows?

Last edited:
it's not so much season 4 that i don't like so far, it's more just fatigue on the whole series leading up. i feel like there's just been so many duds i've had to sit through to get to good stuff.

love next generation (minus the films), love deep space nine even more. just haven't warmed up to the characters in voyager the way i did with those previous series.

it's not so much season 4 that i don't like so far, it's more just fatigue on the whole series leading up. i feel like there's just been so many duds i've had to sit through to get to good stuff.

Ah, I do see what you mean. maybe your opinion won't change much so maybe take us saying that season 4 does get better and how 5 is probably he best season with a grain of salt, but I do think the lesser episodes come more few and far between from around mid-season 4 up to someplace in season 6, but in either case, you have a lot of good stuff to look forward to.

love next generation (minus the films), love deep space nine even more. just haven't warmed up to the characters in voyager the way i did with those previous series.

The Next Gen and Deep Space 9 I did like more, I agree with you on that, but I did warm up to Voyager and its characters as it went along on my first viewing (good ol' Netflix, which I bowed out from after I finished Enterprise) but I do get why some find it a bit of a downgrade compared to those (and the criticisms of the show has often made sense, even though I'm forgiving of it considering the issues behind the scenes).

In fact, on a related note, I think it's always interesting with how it depends on the viewer which one show/cast they have found it harder to warm up to, leading a lot to ask "when does X show get good?" pretty much. I've seen all kinds of variants, whether someone found TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, etc. a slower going compared to the rest.

And it still surprises me when I see someone saying they watched all the old shows but DS9. It really is telling how hard it was for most of the fandom to accept a show having a space station instead of a ship in focus, as if it instantly made that show "the bad one": So much like that other space franchise, the Trek fans have always been a bit averse to accept something new (and speaking of DS9, I surprisingly found that show the easiest to get into of the Rick Berman-era shows, i.e. TNG, DS9, VOY & Enterprise).

yeah i knew nothing about the bts or fan reaction so i was quite surprised to see the hatred towards deep space. some directions they took i didn't love, but overall so good!

yeah i knew nothing about the bts or fan reaction so i was quite surprised to see the hatred towards deep space. some directions they took i didn't love, but overall so good!

Wouldn't say that much of fans hate the show (not in the current times anyhow, but before it has been viewed as the black sheep of the franchise, at least up until the advent of streaming when it definitely has risen in estimation), but that some still have trouble warming up to it as it is different from the typical shows of the franchise that follows a starship and its crew on weekly one-off adventures.

But anyhow, even though it does have its issues and creative decisions I wasn't too fond of (like most of the other shows), I've really enjoyed how relatively consistent its been (compared to most of the others) and done well both with the serialized and episodic aspects, feeling like a well rounded series and really ahead of its times in terms of arcs and gradual character developments.

But anyhow, back on Voyager: I hope you'll find the show to get better soon, at least when it heads into season 5.

Hey @B-Boy, have you finished season 4 of 'Lower Decks' yet? Recalled how you said earlier that you were gonna pick it up again to resume watching and as I thought of the show again, it occurred to me that I should ask.

Hey @B-Boy, have you finished season 4 of 'Lower Decks' yet? Recalled how you said earlier that you were gonna pick it up again to resume watching and as I thought of the show again, it occurred to me that I should ask.
Not yet! I've been slack.

Came across this video about 'Resurrecting the Salt Vampire' today. Not a fan of the RLM guys, but since it's 'Trek-related....

It's kinda funny because the other day I was thinking the Salt Vampire creature and how the franchise resurrected it on Lower Decks, even if it was for a cutaway flashback gag, but yeah, it's there.

Also I really hope they are gonna digitize that old film roll, like they are saying that is to be done later. Curious on what it contains. And it should be preserved for everyone to see and added to the Internet Archive, not just done as a Patreon exclusive or something.

Last edited:
Back