Spoiler Alert

Mr. Teenie

Intergalactic Mod
 How much do you care about spoilers for movies/TV/books or whatever. Do you cry when an important plot point or SHOCKING twist ending is revealed? Do you even give a shit? 

Personally, I don't really give a shit, I'm still able to enjoy something regardless of whether or not I already know what's going to happen. Unless it's like a murder mystery or something, in which case knowing who the killer is would probably ruin it for me.

Also, Game of Thrones people control your fanbase, please. I don't wanna see another fuckin' physical fight break out at my school just because someone revealed to their friend that  Hodor died at the end of the last episode . (I don't watch GOT, so I don't really care tbh). Or maybe I shouldn't judge an entire fandom based on the behaviour of two stupid teenagers idk. The point is: do you really have to take the show so seriously that you have to try and punch others in the face? Because that's stupid.

Discuss! 

Last edited by a moderator:
How dare you reveal something like that? There are people who have not watched the GOT episode you know! :mad:

Nah, but i don´t mind spoilers that much unless it´s about a major reveal, if i know about a big reveal before hand it will make that reveal a lot less exciting.

I definitely prefer not to be spoiled. Not everybody is able to watch episodes the day they air (or even the first timeslot in which they air), so I really dislike when people blatantly and unapologetically spoil stuff on social media. I don't watch The Walking Dead, but I've had several friends openly post about what happened in that week's episode, and they always use the excuse "don't bitch to me about spoilers, you've had 3 days to catch up." Well, what if we're a season behind or something?

This mostly applies to TV series. I don't care AS MUCH about movies, though I'd still rather not be spoiled. I had an annoying case once in the theater when I saw Deadpool - the guy sitting behind us had already seen it, and was with his girlfriend who hadn't. We were waiting for the post-credits scene, and right before the credits ended, he spoiled what the scene was. Not a huge deal, but I would have liked for it to be a surprise.

How dare you reveal something like that? There are people who have not watched the GOT episode you know! :mad:

Yeah if you're going to make a thread about spoilers, and include an actual spoiler for something that aired yesterday, please tag it.

So how long do you have to wait to be able to talk about a show that has a surprise ending?? That's a big issue with shows like walking dead or GoT is that they're so reliant on endings that are **spoiler** friendly and such

There's nothing wrong with talking about it if you at least give a spoiler warning. Keep the spoilers out of your Facebook status, and put them in the comments. I feel like that's not too much to ask. But if you just make a status that says "RIP [character] :'(" that's just super inconsiderate.

To answer your question though, I guess it depends. If it's a movie that just came out, a few weeks maybe? For TV shows, it's trickier, because not everybody is able to watch it right away. Some have to wait for the DVD or Netflix, which can take a year. There's the argument, "well if people cared that much, they'd find a way to watch it," which is valid to some extent. And you could also argue that they'll probably forget whatever you're spoiling by the time they see it. So I dunno. But at least a few weeks after it airs.

Spoilers can be super frustrating. I usually watch episodes a day after they air, and every single week I get a spoiler. One day? People cannot wait ONE DAY to make their status something that eliminates all of the suspense from an episode. I actually had twitter email me spoiler a couple weeks ago because they were giving me an update on tweets that had spoilers (I didn't have to open the email to see the spoiler). I have not gone a single week of the current GoT season without having the episode spoiled before I could watch it. And I watch every monday, so it isn't even 24 hours.

I have a friend who had the new Star Wars spoiled for her because she had cancer and was too sick/pained to go to the movies right when it came out.

Most of us want to enjoy the twists and turns of a story. Why should we have to avoid any and all human contact in person and online in order to do this? There are ways to discuss it without blatantly rubbing it in everyone's faces. Sometimes I may look for spoilers, but it's more so that I want the content warning some days than actual spoilers.

There are ways to discuss the content without ruining the show or movie for someone else.

I'm not saying go to a cancer ward and tell them all that snape killed dumbldore but it's a bit world revolving around you mentality to say(and I mean say when in reality when it comes to spoilers people go on wankery tirades) that people can't talk about a show or make their FB status rip some GoT character.

it's a bit world revolving around you mentality to say(and I mean say when in reality when it comes to spoilers people go on wankery tirades) that people can't talk about a show or make their FB status rip some GoT character.

There are ways to discuss the content without ruining the show or movie for someone else.

And obviously people are allowed to say whatever they want on social media. You can change your profile picture to a tombstone with the character's name on it if you wanted. But I'm also allowed to think that it's inconsiderate to do that.

I dunno there's just a time and a place for everything. Maybe not talking about said media right outside the theatre you saw it in sure but like on your own private profile/in a thread about a movie or tv show why not like I've seen people get upset that a review of a movie shared some spoilers. Like why the eff you reading a review before you see the dang thing?

ive not had much spoiled for me cus normally ill see shit when it first comes out
ive also never spoiled shit for anyone becus that's a shitty thing to do to someone

gotta see shit like opening night to avoid spoilers. unless ur Harrison, who saw star wars at 12:30pm the day it came out and still had it spoiled

I'm not saying people can't do it or that people shouldn't be allowed to do it. I'm just all for mutual common courtesy, and it can be frustrating to see people who just don't give a shit about courtesy. Like I said, you don't need to avoid talking about it to avoid spoiling it.

It really depends on how old the movie/tv episode is. If it was relatively new, then you should definitely be careful not to spoil it, but if it came out years ago, then it should be safe to talk about it.

Granted, this isn't always the case, but it usually is.

I try my best to avoid spoilers as much as possible. On the internet that can be a bit like navigating your way through a minefield but y'know, unless I'm outright having the ending or something spoiled for me it's not something that's gonna completely hinder my ability to enjoy what I'm watching or playing.

I'm pretty strict with spoilers. Even if it's one character winking from across the room to another character, I just don't want to know. If you're deeply invested in the story, then it's wise to appreciate that you're only getting the chance to experience that story legitimately fresh, once. I would also advise to never allow yourself to know a spoiler of something you don't watch simply because you assume you're never going to be interested in said film or tv show. You never know where your tastes/interests are going to take you down the line. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people watch the finales to shows they never watched, only to join others at the watercoolers.

At the same time, I've come to learn that even when you do get spoiled on something, no matter how big, it still becomes your own exclusive first experience. If it was a film or series you still nevertheless admired and would watch again multiple times in the future, then that first experience of you being spoiled becomes a mere, distant dot in the rear-view mirror. It becomes something to laugh at. 2nd watch, 3rd watch, etc. will offer enough rich goodies to help you forget any shortcomings of the first. Most of the time when I do get come across something spoilery, I find it pretty easy to delude myself into believing that perhaps I didn't and in many cases, a certain amount of time passing makes me totally forget what I was even spoiled about. Worse comes to worse, if you want to somewhat make up for being spoiled, there's always the vicarious thrill of watching with a buddy who hasn't seen/read/played a story yet.

Well, not 'read' unless you're reading to your kids or something.

I usually don't get spoiled these days though. With things I'm invested in, I stay away from threads, social media, youtube vids, and such until I'm caught up. I never watch teasers or 'next on' promos for serialized tv unless with Mad Men because those gave you nothing with no context and were just hilarious. I wish all promos were like that because sometimes I'll check out last week's promo of the episode that already aired (from another show) and its ridiculous how much information you get. Those are there to rope in more viewers understandably, but if you're already hooked, then just restrain your speculation to the episode/story you were just given.

I think the issue is that media has become so spoiler-dependent in their promotion methods (ie, 'leaked' footage/trailers, etc.) that it's almost impossible to get away from unless you completely unplug from social media. Add various fan groups to this, and it's a recipe for disaster.
I've had a few things spoiled for me, but usually even when I do know what's coming, it's a different experience to see the scene in action, as [MENTION=21885]lionelhutz123[/MENTION] mentioned. For instance, I recently saw Prometheus. I knew full well about one of the scenes from the main climax of the film, but seeing it for myself was much different, and in a certain sense, more satisfying than reading about it in a review. So, for the most part, I don't know if spoilers truly spoil things for anyone in the end.
That being said, I do think some people need to dial back on things. I mean, even if the latest episode of say, Game of Thrones, (by the way, I haven't even seen season five yet, so I hope I forget your little thing I accidentally moused over [MENTION=66897]Negative Ned[/MENTION]) was mind-blowingly amazing, that doesn't really give you license to be broadcasting it to everyone online, or slapping up memes about it mere hours after it has been shown. Just talk about it privately with people you know who saw it, give it a bit of time, then it's cool to discuss it openly.*

*Or do whatever the fuck you want, I'm not in charge of the internet

Rarely watch anything that can be "spoiled". So no don't really care.

Last edited:
Living here, I am quite used to the entire world spoiling basically everything before it gets to me. I also don't have the luxury of watching television/anything for myself any time before 9pm much less movies ever so yeah. That said, because I am so used to it I have a high threshold for spoilers. Depending on what it is, I sometimes seek them out for myself for various reasons. I try my best not to spoil things for others but slip up sometimes. Like if you ever gave a shit about Gotham and came into the thread, I'm just talking about whatever because no one else watches save for one or two others. I will always ask someone "do you care about spoilers" before discussing something with them.

Unless it's something like THE BIG GIANT TWIST or a huge long-coming revelation like, for obvious example, why does  Hodor Hodor ? That's something we've been asking since day 1, so that's something I would prefer to experience on my own / while watching for the first time. But even if it IS spoiled for me, I usually just let it roll off my back. It would've been if I didn't watch for myself because social media, as mentioned, is utterly stupid when it comes to this stuff. YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHO DIED *thumbnail of character who died* Even if you specifically stay away from certain media sites, you usually get hit with it from some other place like a news website out of nowhere. I remember that happening to me back when LOST was huge.

There's some stuff I try my hardest to be surprised on. I don't care if someone spoils like, Bob's Burgers, but I would try my hardest to not catch any SHIELD news on Tuesdays, for instance. You can't follow pages for the show itself or THEY will spoil you with clips of the show itself. I stay off of Tumblr on Thursdays because of Steven Universe but luckily you can just tag out spoiler posts IF people are kind enough to properly tag.

I try not to get mad about people spoiling shows I don't even watch right now, even if I intend to watch in the near or far future. Just doesn't seem like I need to. They're watching it, I'm not. I'll gladly go read about the dead character on The 100 while people discuss Bury Your Gays even know I haven't started watching. It's not going to change anything for me. If the show is good, it's gonna do it's job and I'll get invested like I'm supposed to. I pretty much know all of Breaking Bad already because of other people just generally being fans and know I'll enjoy it when I get to it.

Also, it is straight up comical to get violently mad at someone for a spoiler. Your life isn't ending, put your fists away.

I don't really watch TV shows as much as I would like, so I normally don't care if I accidentally read spoilers because chances are I'll usually forget about them. The only time I didn't want something spoiled for me was when it comes to TV was the finale of Breaking Bad. I was already caught up with the show by then, but since we didn't have AMC at the time, there was no way I was going to watch it when it aired. My only bet was to stream it, but around the time it aired there was still no way to watch it for hours and when I woke up there still wasn't any links yet, but luckily enough it wasn't too long until I was able to find a way to watch it. For some reason I was really wanting to watch it before I went to school in fear of overhearing someone talk about it at school, but that didn't happen, so I had nothing to worry about. I remember what it was like watching the finale though and I was just blown away by it despite kind of knowing how it will end.

Movies is a different ball game though because besides the fact that I'm a film buff, I find spoiling movies and spoiling TV shows to be different things as TV shows are more ongoing and have much more longer stories to tell while movies are only a couple hours at best, so having a big ending to a movie spoiled for me really puts me off from watching it for quite some time. However the weird thing about this if I accidentally read spoilers online then I usually don't care too much as in most cases it's my fault anyways. When someone tells me the ending to something in real life however it bothers me a lot more. Like when a student in drama class was telling the rest of the class about I Am Legend which he watched over the weekend and he said he didn't like the ending, but was nice enough not to say what happened. Then someone else in the room had to butt in by saying that  WILL SMITH DIES IN THE END!  and a couple other people in the class who hadn't seen the movie including me were like "Seriously?" "I haven't seen that movie yet." and the person who spilled the beans gave a painfully stupid excuse by saying "I thought everyone has seen it by now." Ugh, I hate it when people give those kind of excuses to try and justify spoiling a movie/TV show like "It's a 10 year old movie" or "It's from the third season, you should've seen it by now!" Unless if it's something like "Darth Vader is Luke's father." or "The Wizard of Oz was all a dream." then in that case revealing the ending to those isn't that bad as literally everyone in the world knows that ending.

Back to I Am Legend though, this happened about 4 years ago and I had been wanting to see it for the longest time, but when someone spoiled the ending it put me off from watching it for a long time. I actually didn't watch it until this month and now I think it's a very solid movie and I prefer it over The Last Man on Earth which I failed to connect to despite being a huge fan of Vincent Price. It's just a shame that it took me this long to see it.

Another instance of this was The Sixth Sense which was from a book called Filmmaking for Dummies when I was just starting to get into filmmaking, but it had the audacity to spoil the twist ending to The Sixth Sense which I also hadn't seen at the time. I'm actually holding the book right now and it says " I loved the twist in The Sixth Sense when Bruce Willis turns out to be a ghost  (I hope you've seen the film. If not, I apologize now for ruining it for you.)" Is it really too much to not reveal what happens if you're going to give an example of a twist ending you love. Just because you apologize for it doesn't make it OK. It didn't take me too long to watch this one though, but I have a feeling that I might've figured out the ending anyways because of the hints they give that aren't so subtle in my opinion.

Well, this post went on longer than I intended, but even when a movie gets spoiled for me it doesn't take away the impact that it has if it's good. Hell, I sometimes even intentionally spoil a movie for myself like when everyone was talking about the ending to Inception and how it pissed off some people and I looked up how it ended just to see what the fuss was all about with that ending.

Back