South Park renewed through 2016

Not really. The bleeps for seasons 1-10 were all added in-house, so non-bleeped versions never existed; in other words, although they were added to meet Comedy Central's standards and practices, they weren't forced into the show after the fact, and certainly not for the DVDs. The one real bit of censorship I can think of (which stayed consistent in reruns and, so far, DVDs) was that a scene from "An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig" with Shelley repeatedly setting Stan and fire and then dousing the flames was removed after the first broadcast, due to concerns that had risen a few years ago with children using fire on "Beavis and Butthead."

I believe the continued censoring of "201" is also the only DVD censorship thus far. Though it was a really egregious example.

This one is still ridiculous. By the time the DVD was released, the group leader was arrested and proven to be empty on his threats. But thanks to him, you can never see this legally again. And certainly never uncensored.

Many people will be quick to say, "Why can't they just end it already?" Well, what I don't think people realize is that pulling the plug is hard on the many people involved in the production. I wouldn't necessarily say Matt and Trey need more money, but I wouldn't jump to saying they have enough to retire at 40. I don't know what kind of splits they're getting from syndication and merchandise, especially only working 14 weeks a year.

Are you kidding? They are multi millionaires, I found this article from 2007 that said they struck a deal with Viacom that gives them $75 million,thats on top of what they have already earned before 2007 and who knows what that is,they could retire for life quite comfortably.

I was primarily talking about the Mohammed(?) issue Dark Homer. Those are the only eps on comedycentral.com you can't watch and even in season 14 DVD those eps are censored. Granted, the show gets away with A LOT of other things so not showing the Muslim Prophet isn't a huge deal, but censorship in general has been a reoccuring theme in the show so I would think any censorship outside of the website, that they don't obviously own, should piss them off.

I have to agree. However, in this desensitized world of ours where Muslims are willing to commit a terrorist act over anything (even a depiction of Muhammad airing at Comedy Central at the time.), I have to somewhat agree with them. Still, that does not mean that Matt and Trey should not release that scene where Family Guy hands Muhammad a Football or uncensor Muhammad for the world to see. In fact, I think they should!

This one is still ridiculous. By the time the DVD was released, the group leader was arrested and proven to be empty on his threats. But thanks to him, you can never see this legally again. And certainly never uncensored.

Yeah, it still pisses me off. After that whole mess, I considered snapping up a copy of season five, just because I wondered if "Super Best Friends" would ever be seen again and if even those would be recalled. (I think, so far, they haven't bothered to excise that episode from currently-produced copies or anything, though the episode also isn't available anywhere outside those discs now.) I also considered buying S14 IF the episodes were uncensored, in part as a show of support, but given 201 was still censored I just didn't see the point.

edit: nevermind, you were talking about Super Best Friends.

what's odder is that 200 has a cliffhanger... both should've been taken off if they're that nervous about it.

I agree... But Comedy Central does have some form of obligation to make sure that the episodes reach the public, even if in the face of adversity that have to censor the damn thing and lock the uncensored version in a deep vault underneath the earth.

I still haven't seen either 200 or 201 and I've read that they wierdly enough are both omitted from the Region 2 DVD release (they aren't even releasing the censored versions); as for the show itself, I definitely think it has lost steam by now but occasional there's a solid new episode.

edit: nevermind, you were talking about Super Best Friends.

what's odder is that 200 has a cliffhanger... both should've been taken off if they're that nervous about it.

Not sure if you mean the web or DVD, but 200 (along with Super Best Friends and 201) was pulled from the site last year, and only accessible on DVD. Though, unlike 201, it's in uncensored on the DVD.

The other side of the issue is, if you worked at Comedy Central and your office was under threat of attack because of an episode Matt and Trey did, would you be willing to die just for 201 to stay on the air? Admittedly it's "negotiating with terrorists" to pull it off as Comedy Central did, but my simple answer is no, I would not willingly die for a South Park episode, as I'm sure other Comedy Central workers were thinking. However, I feel it's time that the episodes should "sneak" back on air because the national attention is gone and the terrorists likely wouldn't even notice anymore (as they didn't with Super Best Friends for 10 years). If Comedy Central has no intentions to air the episode again after all the controversy is over, then that's where it gets disappointing.

I like that there'll be a few more South Parks.

This season's You're Getting Old/Assburgers two-parter was some wonderful material.

But to be honest if the show goes past season 20, I think I'll honestly start to tune out...

Back