South Park renewed through 2016

I don't know what to make of this....so South Park will have at least 20 seasons?

SIMPSONS DID IT!

...I tried and failed to resist typing that

Good for South Park, truly. Now to see how many hundreds of episodes it'll still finish behind the simpsons...assuming we all live that long of course.

nice that the show will last 20 seasons. I don't know general consensus of the show (i'm pretty sure there are some fans who don't like the later seasons), but I love it and can't wait for 5 more seasons.

is it just me or does a 5 year renewal seem odd? usually when i hear of a show getting renewed, it's for one or two seasons. is this normal for other shows to be renewed for longer, or does it depend on factors, like popularity?

beating-a-dead-horse.jpg

They won't do this, but considering the premise for tonight's new episode/season finale is seemingly just a boys focused episode like they used to do commonly in my favorite era of the show, I find the possibility of them going back to this style, at least more often, over the next 5 seasons very appealing.

So we get 5 more seasons of stuff like this?

MedicinalFriedChicken16.jpg

I can hardly wait, and I don't mean that sarcastically.

5 seasons at a time (even if this was just a three year extension of a two-year deal already in place) is EXTREMELY uncommon if not unheard of, as far as I know. A really super successful show might get two or three seasons at a time. So I find this odd.

But um, I think the show is still as good as ever pretty much, and it's gone this long without getting crappy, so...I guess I'm glad about this? I don't dread a season 20 of South Park the way I always did with The Simpsons even before it happened.

I'm really surprised and I wouldn't have guessed this based on You're Getting Old. I'd hate to see it finish, but I don't think it's as great as it once was.

I know the hard core fans will be tiffed at the continued repetativness, but I'm just glad to see Matt & Trey rake in as much mullah$ as possible.
I like to see my favorite animation stars be well off financially

Ah crap, I was hoping that South Park could go out gracefully before it turned into shit. I'm also surprised to hear this because it's pretty obvious that stone and parker kind of hate southpark at this point.

Many people will be quick to say, "Why can't they just end it already?" Well, what I don't think people realize is that pulling the plug is hard on the many people involved in the production. I wouldn't necessarily say Matt and Trey need more money, but I wouldn't jump to saying they have enough to retire at 40. I don't know what kind of splits they're getting from syndication and merchandise, especially only working 14 weeks a year. And the rest of those people who do the animation and storyboards, if the show ends then they're out of work. They're average; they're not getting rich off syndication. It's like having a whole company shut down in your small town. South Park still gets good ratings and generally positive reviews, and if Matt and Trey believe they can come up with 70 more stories, then I don't see why not. Sometimes a show runs past its prime and becomes unbearable, but there's a point where the viewer can stop watching. Just because you're a fan of The Office doesn't mean you have to identify yourself as a fan of the Andy Bernard show. I do question whether Matt and Trey think about any ideas at all during the year to make a season easier or if they prefer to come to work for 7 weeks and bitch and moan about how they have no ideas, but that's what they get for "slacking."

Yay! I bet there will be many more classics in the next few seasons. What will they lampoon next? The Censorship Bill? Bronies? The possibilities are endless. No matter what they do, I'll stick by them.

I'm also surprised to hear this because it's pretty obvious that stone and parker kind of hate southpark at this point.

No it isn't.

The Flimpsons said:
I wouldn't necessarily say Matt and Trey need more money, but I wouldn't jump to saying they have enough to retire at 40. I don't know what kind of splits they're getting from syndication and merchandise, especially only working 14 weeks a year.

They sign a multi-million dollar deal every time the show is renewed....I think they're doing fine. It's not like they're paid hourly. And now they have Book of Mormon cash flowing in.

IIRC, they even threatened to pack up and leave in 2006 when the Mohammed thing happened (the first time) and Comedy Central had pulled a couple episodes, on the basis that they already had plenty of money and could easily retire if they wanted to. They've keep doing the show because they, apparently, keep wanting to.

Personally... I don't think that the show needs to end; quite contrary to the point, if they enjoy doing it then hey, let them keep doing it but the things they are doing with it are making the perception of the show into "the tired, out of ideas show that needs to end." I mean while Matt & Trey really like the conspiracy/action movie/current event lampooning episodes (which to be honest, is much of South Park right now... I mean they didn't have to resort to action movie lampooning in the past did they?); we want some down-to-earth stories... You know, like the sled races, trying to get something done, that kind of stuff... I mean it gets tiring when all they do is lampoon current events, and it's even more tiring when they have to try (I know they're not trying to come up with jokes but it just seems like it) to make something for the Internet generation to like. I mean mostly every long-lasting show has done this. Conan IMO, The Simpsons, SNL, and now South Park. I know, it's hard to worry about whether or not people will like it but why not just make the episodes the way you make them and we'll like them based on what we see... I mean the greatest episodes were made long before the internet (and more especially internet culture) went big, those are the episodes we need to see if South Park is to continue on.

Kind of surprised at the positive reaction here. I mean, I still enjoy most of the new episodes, but the general consensus among everyone, here and in real life, seems to be that it has overstayed it's welcome... a welcome we would be willing to extend if they didn't continue to fall back on the exact same formula. They even admitted in Assburgers that they're going to "stick with what they know", so I'm not entirely thrilled about this. The show has chosen the "run it into the ground" Simpons style route rather than the "go out gracefully while on top" Seinfeld route.

It's not difficult to see that Matt and Trey were more focused on The Book of Mormon than South Park during season 15. Between that and the constant censorship the show has to fight with, even in DVD releases, I'm a bit surprised they renewed for four more years. Less than half of the eps of the already short season (compared to other shows) were decent this time around and as a few have already said Matt & Trey are going to basically not change anything important. I love the show but I would rather it go out with some dignity than drag on with plots seemingly thrown together at the last minute and being far less funny than older eps.

South Park is the only show talked about here where the general consensus seems to be people like when it gets renewed. I agree with those sentimonies.

Between that and the constant censorship the show has to fight with, even in DVD releases, I'm a bit surprised they renewed for four more years.

I am curious as to what specifically they still have problems with as well. Although I suppose the documentary gave us a little insight into the fact that they sometimes have to actually call Comedy Central during production week and ask if it's ok to have a gag - i.e. The degree of vulgarity Cartman was allowed to express toward God at the end of HUMANCENiPAD.

I'm pretty sure they've always had to deal with standards and practices week-to-week, but do get what they want most or at least the majority of the time.

I believe the continued censoring of "201" is also the only DVD censorship thus far. Though it was a really egregious example.

Well, the first couple of seasons were censored. :P

Back