south park general discussion/upcoming episode thread

DotheBartman

SuperFriend
I'm wondering if you thought the show handled it well after all, since the episode has been getting a lot of complaints from people with Asperger's.

Has it? I surfed over to one of the forums (where I....used to post, a long time ago...ahem) on the subject and read some comments the night it aired, but didn't look too deeply. It seemed non-fans of the show who happened to tune in were sort of offended, while regular viewers were amused.

I thought it was fine, though disappointing in the sense that they didn't really do very much with it. The Asperger's characters were really over-the-top, but that's South Park, and since they're just faking it anyway it didn't bother me. It wasn't portrayed as "real," the way Grey's Anatomy and Law and Order are meant to be taken at face-value. The Tourrette's episode was definitely better, but I enjoyed what little there was.

A couple things I really dug, though:

-The whole "we see the world as it REALLY is" thing. I have no idea how intentional this was, but the thing is, a lot of people on the spectrum really believe this, that their social disorder actually makes them more capable of seeing the world the right way, or that it's just a different, equally valid way of seeing the world. I won't get into my thoughts on this these days, but I thought the (possible) allusion to that, taken very literally, was quite funny.

-The vaccination stuff. Although again not nearly enough was done with it, Matt and Trey appeared to be observing (correctly) that the controversy over the vaccines is fairly silly, and often applied to people who aren't really autistic at all. Good on them.

I don't know what the gist of the complaints has been, though.

Diversity Pumpkin

Stonecutter
Here's some complaints from the southparkstudios forum, which up until this episode I liked to lurk since they were usually less cynical than other forums.

M&T clearly got it wrong. We are not f*ckin stupid! We don't go around pissing on walls, or looking like total wound up freaks. Then to go around and say that it's not a f*ckin disease...it really pissed me off! We are very smart individuals, and although we may be different, we usually can see right from wrong like most people. I wish people didn't make Aspergers seem like we are stupid, getting lost, killing machines cause we are not!! :mad:

I'm turning in my fan card. I still love the show, but after being told the disease me and my brother have been afflicted with is a bunch of bullsh*t I can't help but be a little offended.

No research was done clearly, hell the episode was more accurate to Autism itself than actual Asperger's. And Randy's scene - if Trey wants to come and look me in the eye and tell me my family members are suffering from a disease that isn't real...

They said it wasn't real. Did you hear Randy's words?

The two people I've idolized for the past six years of my life just told me my brother and I are the way we are because our parents sucked.

Do you have any idea how that feels?

Yeah. There.

Oh that's raspberry!

Food-Crazed Maniac
The Cartman Cop from Chicken Lover comes to mind, though a border patrol plot is hardly original as you said. I've seen it on the Simpsons, and even Robot Chicken now that I think of it. Of course I'll still watch the episode if I remember. Matt and Trey's take on it should prove interesting and hopefully funny...

Z

Zombies Rise from the Sea

The Cartman Cop from Chicken Lover comes to mind, though a border patrol plot is hardly original as you said. I've seen it on the Simpsons, and even Robot Chicken now that I think of it. Of course I'll still watch the episode if I remember. Matt and Trey's take on it should prove interesting and hopefully funny...

I'm going to say that it's going to be similar to the episode "The Red Badge of Gayness" in term of plot; a simple game/bet turns serious when Cartman manages to do something no ordinary kid can do and the kids remain focused but there is a growing sentiment to get Cartman to lose/quit so that they can win/do what's right... There will be some in-your-face stuff shoved in because well, what would South Park be without it?

Last edited:

TriforceBun

*RIP Marcia Wallace*
Reminds me a little bit of Goobacks and The Red Badge of Gayness. It actually sounds pretty fun, though.

Train on the Water

Boat on a track
Referring to Sunday's documentary, did anyone else flip out when they realized Bill Hader is a driving force on South Park nowadays? It didn't actually look like he was doing anything in that writer's room besides laughing, but still. He must be getting paid for something. And when working on South Park is hectic as it is, I wonder how he balances rehearsals for SNL.

Ryan

hoot
Hader was brought on a few years ago as a consultant in writer's retreats, I guess he's now been promoted to being in the writer's room. Of course, Trey gets the credit since he actually pens the script, but yes, Bill Hader is technically kinda sorta a writer on South Park.

Great docu, btw. Wish it was maybe a half-hour longer, but extremely satisfying nonetheless. Absolutely insane how everybody literally lives in that office building for seven straight weeks making the show.

Ryan

hoot
Hader was brought on a few years ago as a consultant in writer's retreats, I guess he's now been promoted to being in the writer's room. Of course, Trey gets the credit since he actually pens the script, but yes, Bill Hader is technically kinda sorta a writer on South Park.

well now I guess they're killing two birds with one stone, hiring robert lopez to "cowrite" an episode. basically, make matt and trey's job slightly easier for a week while gaining the "Book of Mormon reunion omg" hype. I hope they at least get the dude to write a song or two, as that's where his strength lies.

oh and this week is some wikileaks parody. if cartman is behind it all, I'll just shake my head at the predictability.

Oh that's raspberry!

Food-Crazed Maniac
Yeah I literally just remembered there was a new episode tonight about 5 minutes ago and when I read the press-release I was underwhelmed by the plot to say the least...

Shaunbadia

Resident Relic of Problematic Periods
Global Moderator

cartman.jpg

OH MY JESUS CHRIST MONKEY BALLS!

Also, here's the description for this weeks episode.

south-park-1511-broadway-bro-down.jpg

"Broadway Bro Down"
Randy takes Sharon to see a hit musical in an effort to do more things that she enjoys and becomes Broadway's biggest fan in the process.

Anybody else thinking "Book of Mormon"?

Ryan

hoot
yeah with lopez on-board I figured this is something they'd do that can both relate to their Broadway experience, and get them to write some songs.

also I guess we were due for a Randy episode, as he was barely featured in the premiere and we already had our Butters one.

Ryan

hoot
bump. the episode everyone wants to see is here: matt and trey's opinion on occupy wall street.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/news/401003/episode-1512-1-press-release

From tomorrow's Comedy Central Press Release:

THE 99% SINGLE CARTMAN OUT
IN AN ALL-NEW SOUTH PARK
ON WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 2 AT 10:00 P.M. ON
COMEDY CENTRAL

--------
All-New Season 15 Episodes Available In HD Exclusively On Xbox LIVE, iTunes, Sony
PlayStation Network, Amazon Video On Demand
New Episodes Also Available On SouthParkStudios.com
--------

NEW YORK, October 31, 2011 One fat fourth grader is singled out when the Presidential Physical Fitness scores are announced in an all-new episode of "South Park" titled, "1%, premiering Wednesday, November 2 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.

The kids at South Park Elementary are being punished for Cartman's failings in the physical education department. What will Cartman do when they all gang up on him?

Oh that's raspberry!

Food-Crazed Maniac
Plot synopsis for this week via South Park Studios:

A History Channel Thanksgiving Press Release
From tomorrow's Comedy Central Press Release:

THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT REALLY HAPPENED AT THE FIRST
THANKSGIVING IS REVEALED
ON AN ALL-NEW "SOUTH PARK"
ON WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 9 AT 10:00 P.M. ON COMEDY CENTRAL

New York, November 7, 2011 - Thanksgiving is just weeks away and the dedicated people at The History Channel are getting close to discovering the truth on an all-new episode of South Park titled, "A History Channel Thanksgiving" premiering Wednesday, November 9 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.

After watching a Thanksgiving special on The History Channel, the boys believe that aliens were involved in the original feast. But, questions remain... was the first Thanksgiving haunted? Is alien technology responsible for stuffing? The truth could changeThanksgiving for everyone.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/news/401604/a-history-channel-thanksgiving-press-release

Isn't this supposed to be the final episode of this run? Seems kinda strange, but I guess I like the premise well enough.

Train on the Water

Boat on a track
A little worried, but hopefully it's fine. Sounds like another conspiracy episode. I just hope it has humor. Matt and Trey occasionally get too caught up in their "epic" story lines and forget to insert the jokes.

Diversity Pumpkin

Stonecutter
Lol don't think it's a conspiracy episode; it's making fun of those shows on the History Channel that use more fiction than facts.

Dark Homer

pineapple shoes
Administrator
haha I watched a history channel show once where "experts" talked about how everything in the bible was actually caused by aliens

Sam

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I was watching History Channel and this guy said this signature of Babe Ruth was real...

laugh out loud.

TriforceBun

*RIP Marcia Wallace*
Sounds like an episode that they would've done a long time ago. Kinda cool seeing Kenny's family again, and an episode that doesn't seem to have any sort of current event parody.

Oh that's raspberry!

Food-Crazed Maniac
No current event parody(if true) = very encouraging

Just found out about it and was going to post the info here. This rather easily sounds like the best premise they've done in about I dunno multiple years. Naturally it'll probably be terrible since I actually like the premise...