Some questions for you to answer as a Simpsons fan?

Welcome to Moe's

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe
Ok, as I like to interact with you guys I thought this would be pretty cool to ask you a few questions in regards to The Simpsons and yourself as a fan, some of these may be easier to answer than others (for example, I can't remember what the first episode I saw was) so just answer them as you can, it should be good to get the different perspectives from fans of the show.

Kindly copy & paste the questions then add your answer as it's easier to read what you're answering.

1. Can you remember the first ever episode you saw?
2. Since you was first a fan of the show, did you ever go off it for a while only to return to it?
(did any other shows become a temporary replacement?)
3. Would you consider yourself a fan of the show today or only the earlier seasons?
4. Despite the criticism the show often gets, what do you think made you stick with the show?
5. Which character were you a fan of first and is this character still your favourite today?
6. What positives can you say about the show that makes it different to other shows?
7. If the show was to finally wrap up, would you feel content with the 30 year run they've had?
8. Is there anything as a fan you would love to do?
(for example go to Florida or meet the cast)
9. Has the show taught you anything positive that you take from it?
10. Does the fact the characters have yellow skin add to the shows appeal for you?
11. Last but not least, what does The Simpsons mean to you?

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Yeah, was good was that reading the responses which I was surprised cause there was quite a lot in that yet it got quite a bit of interaction, I guess they're good these kinda threads :)

Look forward to your responses anyway, always enjoy reading your posts :)

1. Can you remember the first ever episode you saw? Brawl in the Family is the first one I remember.
2. Since you was first a fan of the show, did you ever go off it for a while only to return to it? (did any other shows become a temporary replacement?) Nope, I’ve never really taken a large break from the show.
3. Would you consider yourself a fan of the show today or only the earlier seasons? I’m still a fan of the show. I don’t think the episode today are nearly as good as they used to be, but they’re still fun to watch.
4. Despite the criticism the show often gets, what do you think made you stick with the show? It’s still fun to watch, and I like reading what other people here say about the episodes.
5. Which character were you a fan of first and is this character still your favourite today? Homer maybe? I think he’s stayed pretty consistent over the years, so I still like him.
6. What positives can you say about the show that makes it different to other shows? Hard to say because I don’t watch many other shows, but it does seem like the classic episodes were “deeper” and more multilayered than some other shows.
7. If the show was to finally wrap up, would you feel content with the 30 year run they've had? Yeah, although I would like to see it go as long as possible.
8. Is there anything as a fan you would love to do? (for example go to Florida or meet the cast) I want to participate in a Simpsons trivia tournament.
9. Has the show taught you anything positive that you take from it? I’ve leared a lot of things about pop culture from it.
10. Does the fact the characters have yellow skin add to the shows appeal for you? I don’t think so. It’s just a facet of the show.
11. Last but not least, what does The Simpsons mean to you? It’s provided me with so many laughs over the years and has allowed me to have a special interest in the show. I can’t imagine my life wihout it.

Nope. I was pretty young at the time and I just absorbed some pretty shallow stuff probably.

2. Since you was first a fan of the show, did you ever go off it for a while only to return to it? (did any other shows become a temporary replacement?)
I joined in 2012, so at the time I was a "fan" - HOFP in Season 23 gave me a push to try out the show again and think more critically about the things I've watched for a while. I stopped watching completely when season 25 was over. Watching a whole bunch of other stuff right now with no intentions of re-visiting Simpsons.

3. Would you consider yourself a fan of the show today or only the earlier seasons?
Early seasons. I can only assume the show right now is as boring as it left off in S25 - I've just become less and less patient with it despite having a few gems scattered here and there in the later seasons.

4. Despite the criticism the show often gets, what do you think made you stick with the show?
I didn't really. Not right now at least. S23 had Holidays of Future Passed which showed a bit of promise. I stuck around for a while but you really gonna end the season with a Gaga episode? LMFAO. Season 24 had some Lego stuff which I thought was cool I guess.

5. Which character were you a fan of first and is this character still your favourite today?
Homer and Lisa. Still the same.

6. What positives can you say about the show that makes it different to other shows?
It's iconic as heck, and it remains to be so through longevity; many franchises would've faded to oblivion but this one managed to stand the test of time. Everyone from Asia to Europe to North America has seen some stuff about it. Lots of Simpsons merch in Asian night markets, even though they're bootlegged.

7. If the show was to finally wrap up, would you feel content with the 30 year run they've had?
It would've left behind an impressive legacy. Again, I haven't been following the show but the first 9 seasons were some of the best TV I've watched. I'd be happy if it ended any time now.

8. Is there anything as a fan you would love to do? (for example go to Florida or meet the cast)
Not really. I own a few shirts and a few books already. I think that's enough.

Opened my eyes to pop culture, film, and animation; also thinking critically about pop culture.

10. Does the fact the characters have yellow skin add to the shows appeal for you?
I don't think it's the fact that it's appealing or not appealing. I just literally can't see their skin colors in any other color.

Thanks to The Simpsons for opening my eyes to animation and film, writing jokes - I fuckin' love it. Now I'm working in the animation industry, have been for a bit over two years, and it's been a blissful experience to say the least. Still a rookie though, branching out and exploring more creative options.

Ok, as I like to interact with you guys I thought this would be pretty cool to ask you a few questions in regards to The Simpsons and yourself as a fan, some of these may be easier to answer than others (for example, I can't remember what the first episode I saw was) so just answer them as you can, it should be good to get the different perspectives from fans of the show.

Kindly copy & paste the questions then add your answer as it's easier to read what you're answering.

1. Can you remember the first ever episode you saw? Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire.

2. Since you was first a fan of the show, did you ever go off it for a while only to return to it? (did any other shows become a temporary replacement?) Never

3. Would you consider yourself a fan of the show today or only the earlier seasons? Fan from the beginning.

4. Despite the criticism the show often gets, what do you think made you stick with the show? Love of the characters.

5. Which character were you a fan of first and is this character still your favourite today? Bart. Bart.

6. What positives can you say about the show that makes it different to other shows? It's from my generation.

7. If the show was to finally wrap up, would you feel content with the 30 year run they've had? I be sad but so it goes.

8. Is there anything as a fan you would love to do? (for example go to Florida or meet the cast) I met Nancy Cartwright, so maybe meet the rest of the cast, especially Dan Castellaneta

9. Has the show taught you anything positive that you take from it? “Here’s to alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems."

10. Does the fact the characters have yellow skin add to the shows appeal for you?Never put than much thought into it.

11. Last but not least, what does The Simpsons mean to you? A way to look at the world an go, "This reminds me of a Simpson's episode where blah, blah, blah." If you don't you aren't paying attention.

1. Can you remember the first ever episode you saw? The Springfield Files.

2. Since you was first a fan of the show, did you ever go off it for a while only to return to it? (did any other shows become a temporary replacement?) There's lot's of other shows I like to watch, but I don't think i've stoped watching for an extended period of time.

3. Would you consider yourself a fan of the show today or only the earlier seasons? I prefer the older seasons (as many others do) but I still enjoy newer episodes.

4. Despite the criticism the show often gets, what do you think made you stick with the show? The characters.

5. Which character were you a fan of first and is this character still your favourite today? Homer. Still Homer.

6. What positives can you say about the show that makes it different to other shows? The many characters, and the dynamic them interacting. There's so many story's to tell about Springfield.

7. If the show was to finally wrap up, would you feel content with the 30 year run they've had? As long as it gets its well deserved good ending i'll be happy.

8. Is there anything as a fan you would love to do? (for example go to Florida or meet the cast) Go to a Q/A Simpsons panel and ask some questions i've always wanted to ask.

9. Has the show taught you anything positive that you take from it? I've adapted some aspects of the Homer Simpson philosophy to my life, which made it more interesting.

10. Does the fact the characters have yellow skin add to the shows appeal for you? Yes. The yellow skin is almost iconic for me.

11. Last but not least, what does The Simpsons mean to you? It's how I see everything, by looking at something as if it were in The Simpsons.

Some really great answers so far, I will add mine if anyone wants to read, however really enjoyed reading them so far :)

Also [MENTION=46754]Robotics[/MENTION] I love the fact the show has inspired you to work in the animation industry, that is awesome and I guess is something that will always be special about The Simpsons for you :)

Here's mine anyway, if anyone fancies a read :)

Nope, it may have been Simpsons Roasting or possibly something like Bart gets an F or one of the early season 2 episodes, I'm pretty sure I was watching episodes in season one when the show first aired here in the UK as I was only little and we didn't have Sky at the time yet my uncle used to record The Simpsons on Sky One every Sunday for me (Yep, VHS tapes) and I absolutely loved the show, I would also buy the video tapes from Woolworths (now defunct UK shop) and watch them over and over, which I still do now, except they're DVD's.

2. Since you was first a fan of the show, did you ever go off it for a while only to return to it? (did any other shows become a temporary replacement?)
I wouldn't say I went off it but I did drift for a while when Family Guy came out, it took me ages to give Family Guy a go as friends were all telling me how great it was but I was too stubborn to let anything take over The Simpsons for me ha, anyway I did eventually give Family Guy a go and really liked the show (I have the first 10 seasons on DVD) so I did get quite wrapped up in that for a while however I did still like Simpsons and did still watch it but it was just lesser at this point, anyway it didn't take long for me to miss The Simpsons and realise which is the better show for me and now I feel although Family Guy is great and credit due where it's due, it's not a patch on The Simpsons by any means, I feel that without the niche of the shock value it often comes out with it doesn't have much substance where as The Simpsons doesn't need that, has been consistent (to the degree of always being successful on prime time TV) and it's just much better in every way, so it's kind of like that for me :)

Yes, I love the show today and enjoy watching it massively, like most I prefer the earlier seasons by a long mile but I still enjoy the seasons today and I do feel they get way too much stick than they should.

It's still good, it's that simple really. They do often come up with good gags, it's witty, they're still creative and I love The Simpsons. I also love the characters and how extensive it is, each character is individual and has a lot of thought put into them, even the lesser known characters and one off characters who often become memorable, the town is fantastic and so extensive, everything from Moe's Tavern, The Power plant, Elementary etc.. it's just one of the best shows in our generation and ever really, I'm a huge fan of other shows too but there's no doubt The Simpsons are special as their longevity and success very clearly shows.

Bart and he's still my favourite from the family but there are so many secondary characters and even rarer characters I love so much, so where as Bart is still one of my favourites, he's not as stand out due to my love of so many characters.

Not only is it iconic it set the boundaries for many other shows to follow, before The Simpsons they were very dubious about putting the show on TV as they never thought an animated sitcom could be so successful, specially during prime time TV, The Flintstones was the last one along this line and that was so long ago before The Simpsons launched however the show ended up going 30 years and they never thought it would get past one or two seasons. We'd have no South Park, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, Beavis and Butthead, King of the Hill, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy, all those shows that have that adult appeal (admittedly Rocko and Ren & Stimpy weren't quite seen as adult until people saw the adult in humour in them) but The Simpsons opened the doors for all these great shows. Also, another thing about The Simpsons is the extensive cast and how much work they put into each character, not one character is half done and there's barely any random faces to fill up crowds, where as other shows usually have the main cast, then a few secondary characters and that's about it, same with places, there's usually only a few familiar places in other shows where as The Simpsons are so extensive in their cast and town, it's like a whole world and it's awesome.

I would, as I've said above I do feel the show gets way too much criticism and most of this is probably because they set the bar so high in their earlier seasons they became their own competition, having a whole DVD collection of the 30 seasons I would be content with watching from season one to season 30.

8. Is there anything as a fan you would love to do? (for example go to Florida or meet the cast)
I'd love to have a beer in Moe's and visit the Universal Studio's at Orlando in Florida, I'd also love to meet the cast and writers and go to a Q&A with them, like how we see the comic cons in the US, I'd love them to do a little UK tour and visit all areas of the UK, London, Leeds, Dublin, Glasgow, all the popular and easy to get to places where this would be a success.

Not really but it does have great family values which I love.

It does yeah, when I first saw The Simpsons I loved the quirky animation, the way they moved and animated, something that is loss in the digital era of animation, however the yellow skin is very unique and I love it, I'd say it does play a big part in the show because it looks lovely to watch which is always a bonus.

It's brought me many years of enjoyable quality viewing, it's been a big part of my life since I was so young and without it not only would I massively miss it but it would be hard to replace that. I'm fine with when the show wraps up as this will be at the point where the writers and the team feel they've done all they can with the show and we've still got so many seasons and hours of quality viewing that you can never get bored of it as when you've watched season one to season 30 (or whatever season we're up to at that point) it'll be fresh to watch season one again so it's great.

Interesting questions, I say. I'll see if I will be satisfied with my answers since I had a bit difficulty to answer to some of them, haha.

1. Can you remember the first ever episode you saw? I think it's Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington or the Treehouse of Horror II.

2. Since you was first a fan of the show, did you ever go off it for a while only to return to it? (did any other shows become a temporary replacement?) I had some little breaks but never too long. It's mainly when I discover another show I like.

3. Would you consider yourself a fan of the show today or only the earlier seasons? Well, I obviously prefeer the earlier seasons, but I still enjoy watching the new seasons.

4. Despite the criticism the show often gets, what do you think made you stick with the show? It's still likable, there are still some very good surprises, and as a huge fan of the show itself, I can't let it go.

5. Which character were you a fan of first and is this character still your favourite today? I love Grampa since the beginning.

6. What positives can you say about the show that makes it different to other shows? Is there an animated show as iconic as the Simpsons, even nowadays ? Probably a few, but I don't think there are so many. I have pretty much the same opinion than you [MENTION=75427]Welcome to Moe's[/MENTION], I think a lot of following shows owe them a lot, for the style, the humor, etc.

7. If the show was to finally wrap up, would you feel content with the 30 year run they've had? Yes. Of course I'll be a bit sad thinking the show is definitely over, but it will bring an impressive legacy. I think there was a thread where I left a (better) answer on my opinion about it.

8. Is there anything as a fan you would love to do? (for example go to Florida or meet the cast) Visit the writers room. And therefore, why not meet the writers themselves.

9. Has the show taught you anything positive that you take from it? Some great values and things about pop culture (I amplified my knowledge of it with others things and by myself but the Simpsons opened my eyes on it).

10. Does the fact the characters have yellow skin add to the shows appeal for you? Word for word the same answer than [MENTION=46754]Robotics[/MENTION].

11. Last but not least, what does The Simpsons mean to you? Since I was little, I always had a passion for animation. I think The Simpsons opened my eyes to animation more "adult". And basically, the show is a big part of my life since a little more than ten years. I have a special interest for the series more than for any other series (except the Looney Tunes if it count). It's one of the bases of my actual personality (and my humor). Like some of you guys have said, I can't imagine my life without it.

Yeah visiting the writers room would be awesome!! I've really enjoyed reading these :)

Yeah, after my answers when you said about The Simpsons teaching you about pop culture, for me, it's taught me quite a bit about the American culture which I love!

Yeah it's one of the shows that taught me the most about the American culture with some others (Animaniacs, the Looney Tunes, etc.). And as I said, it's for a big part of my knowledge on pop culture, but the other part (which is big too) went by myself and other things, haha.

No.

I would consistently watch it on Channel 4 for years. Episodes started repeating and I've never watched it on Channel 4 since. But then I bought some of the DVDs and that resparked an interest, rewatching the episodes yet again, plus the fantastic DVD extras of course. Didn't have a replacement show at the time.

I definitely prefer the earlier seasons by far, but that's not stopped me from watching the newer ones.

In terms of the newer episodes? After so long I was hoping it would get better again. It did a little, but the current episodes pale in comparison to the earlier ones.

I wouldn't say I really had a first character to be a fan of, other than the cliché answer of Homer Simpson. But at least now, I'd say Troy McClure. Or Dr Nick. Maybe even Mr Burns. That's a tough question - don't ask that.

Something about the real-life plausibility of the episodes sits well with me. In the canon episodes we don't have too much crazy cartoon logic, and at the same time we still have stories such as Homer going into space.

I'd be more content if they wrapped up a decade earlier, maybe even two, but yes, I'd be content if they choose to not drag it out until major voice actors etc. have to retire.

For some reason I want to just chill out with Matt Groening. Not to talk about The Simpsons or anything, just to kill an afternoon's worth of time. He seems like a cool guy.

Something something family is important something. It probably hasn't done much more than enhance my general knowledge a little.

It makes the show very recognisable, but I wouldn't say it's important or appealing. It's kind of weird if you think about it, really.

A franchise full of many characters with their own stories, relations with other characters and so on. Just a really immersive cartoon town, to be honest. At least I find it strangely immersive.

Yeah it's one of the shows that taught me the most about the American culture with some others (Animaniacs, the Looney Tunes, etc.). And as I said, it's for a big part of my knowledge on pop culture, but the other part (which is big too) went by myself and other things, haha.

Yeah, I love the American culture, I love the US in general, although I've never been I've always loved everything about them and I think they're great.

Great answers also [MENTION=75179]Road Rage[/MENTION] :)

Homerpalooza. My brother had a man crush on billy corgin of the smashing pumpkins so he insisted we all had to watch. I ended up liking the show more, he was a casual fan but quickly dropped simpsons in favor of adult swim.
2. Since you was first a fan of the show, did you ever go off it for a while only to return to it?
I didn't have cable for awhile so there's a chunk of episodes s20 to s26 or so that I'm only passingly familair with. Like the spuckler episodes I've only seen once.
Fan of the classics mostly but I'm trying to be less critical of the new stuff.
Sunday night post nfl timeslot.
Maggie, just find her adorable.
The town is very important to the show and its longevity is at least partly due to its huge supporting cast.
Maybe but it needs a strong ending and not another flash forward to that godawful bart/jenda and lisa/milhouse future.
Get a poster signed by the cast maybe one of the thoh ones.
That alcohol is the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
I would pay attention to it if there were more brown skinned characters. Seriously springfield is super white.
The simpsons is fun, my favorite thing to watch after football, just a reliable source of laughter. I watch with my husband and then, as the simpsons would say, we snuggle. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, the same with the cable thing was a case for me too at one point, except it's Sky TV here where The Simpsons are exclusive on and even now catching the new episodes is fragmented for me however I still watch the show all the time on DVD and do watch the new episodes as much as I can, it's just they're always in bits hence the fragmented thing. I know I've said it so many times but this is one of the reasons why the DVD releases are so important, we have no other way of watching the show back and if we miss the episodes when they're on TV, we miss them.

I hear you about the strong ending too.

A good set of questions overall (and not too many yet not too few). Here's my take (which took a while), [MENTION=75427]Welcome to Moe's[/MENTION].

Can't say I do. I've seen bits and pieces of some episodes beforehand but as for first full one I watched from beginning to end I have no clue.

Haven't taken too much of an complete break from the show though I've watched some other series inbetween and during it. Got into Futurama like a year after and watched it during and inbetween The Simpsons as with other series, but none of them replaced it.

Mainly of the classic seasons (1-8/9) but as the later & modern seasons aren't without merit I like them too, just not nearly as much. Guess you could say I'm a fan in general but leaning heavily towards the classics.

While it is definitely not as great as it used to be I'm still drawn to it and find it fairly entertaining and enjoyable for what it's become; there is still a lot of good stuff (writing, humor, emotion, etc), and even though it's way more hit and miss now I don't think it's become unwatchable and it has had a number of pleasant surprises. I'm pretty open minded and judge the modern episodes as part of the modern age (not compared to the classics) and I'm curious in seeing what they'll do next (and how they will do it). Guess there's also a slight fan loyality factor, though not forced.

I guess it's Bart and he's possibly still my favorite of the bunch, despite the modern episodes twisting him into someone different than he was in the classic seasons from time to time which I don't like. As for secondary character's I'm not sure about which one.

A lot of things. Mainly the world they've created and given us, with the huge cast and their interactions, the locations and settings & so forth, but also the overall tone and style, including the great sense of humor and intelligent writing; the semi-down to earth feel and realism is great and that it doesn't go darker and edgier like a lot of other animated sitcoms with shock humor, gruesome violence, explicit sexual content and mean-spirited characters is good. It is still exaggerated but they keep to their roots as a family show without needless edginess and rarely does go overboard, which sets it apart a lot from the rest.

I would certainly be satisfied if it ended soon. It would leave a great legacy with the classic seasons but also a lot of very good to great episodes and moments in the post-classic era so it's an impressive collection that would be left for fans, both old, new and upcoming. Would be a bit sad to see it go but after all these years it feels like it's ready to end it.

Take a tour of the Simpsons studios where I could visit the writers room (maybe as they go through a script?) and more; feels there would be lots of things to see and discover there so it's the first choice that comes to mind.

Some stuff about more obscure things from popular culture definitely came to me from the show (such as references to film, TV and other media I hadn't heard or thought about a lot before) but also other cultural references and a lot of the political stuff.

I don't think it necessarily makes it more appealing to me, but I really like it because of it's uniqueness which also makes it stand out in the sea of other animated series. If the characters were skin-toned like in Futurama it maybe wouldn't make a big difference, but I wouldn't want to have it that way because of being used to the yellow (which does work perfectly).

The show is one of a kind. It has everything I want from a comedy series and creates an expansive, intelligent, memorable and fun series that appeals to me a whole lot; it was in a way the first real sitcom that really appealed to me (South Park was the first one I discovered way back but The Simpsons is the first that truly, consistently and lastingly captured me & I don't like the live-action ones with laugh tracks/live audiences and the like). That it's animated is a great bonus, not only as an animation fan but as it allows for much more than live-action would and could permit, including going far beyond a limited number of set walls (animation is after all a great medium for the impossible). Even with the downgrade in quality it's enjoyable and fun to watch (and since I'm still invested it does retain at least some of it's captivating power, I feel).

Last edited:
Thank you [MENTION=17229]CousinMerl[/MENTION], glad you liked them, I do try to interact with you guys as much as I can so I do enjoy doing these things for you and reading your replies :)

Yeah, I think that's a great mentality to look at the new episodes as new episodes from this era as opposed to comparing them to the classics, the problem with that is when we do we end up not only putting them up against the highest standard but it was a different time then and things they did then they probably couldn't do now, also with popular culture changing too The Simpsons have to keep up with that otherwise people will then say they're behind the times (they can't win really cause people also say they try too hard to be relevant or don't like all the recent referrals such as Apple for example). I think that's a great way to look at it and try not to compare it to the classic seasons because we just end up putting ourselves in the position of comparing it to the highest calibre of TV from a different period.

Great post, pretty much share the same sentiments.

I think that's a great way to look at it and try not to compare it to the classic seasons because we just end up putting ourselves in the position of comparing it to the highest calibre of TV from a different period.

I'm agree with you guys about that. I always try to judge the new episodes the way they are, instead of comparing them to earlier episodes (except when the plot is very, very deja vu).

Yeah, definitely the best way I think, it just makes the show much more enjoyable. It's like when people watch movies, say Star Wars for example and they'll nit pick and say things like "Oh so and so doesn't make sense" or "How can that happen there if that's just happened" kinda thing when really, these shows and movies are supposed to be enjoyed and light hearted, they're not always supposed to make sense and we are supposed to suspend our element of a belief a little to simply enjoy them more, this is why kids will enjoy shows and movies such as Star Wars much more on a whole cause they don't nit pick at it, they just enjoy it for what it is, which is what you're supposed to do.

Of course, I get it when things don't make sense to a big degree it's silly but that never really happens in The Simpsons, there might be the odd thing such as Skinner being in the army not adding up with the years or something but it's a show that's not supposed to be that deep and if we can just enjoy it for what it is, then we're going to get more enjoyment out of it. I think we can ruin it for ourselves sometimes but of course it's each to their own and there is no right or wrong on it, it's just a better way of enjoying the show as you're meant to do.

The same with what you say about the comparison with the seasons etc... we enjoy it more when we don't compare cause it was a different time when those earlier seasons were done and they could do a lot more then too, plus, they do have to evolve otherwise they would become dated.

Bart's Dog Gets an F is the first one I can remember watching, though it's a little hard since in the early years I didn't watch it consistently and many times I did watch it were because we taped it along with many other cartoons on TV at the time(mostly Saturday morning cartoons). It wasn't until it entered syndication and was on every afternoon after school that I started watching the show consistently.
I really haven't watched much of the show since season 16 if that counts. Even when I was an avid viewer I still watched other stuff though, including all of the "competing"(for lack of a better term) animated sitcoms.
early seasons definitely, 1-7. seasons 8-15 each have something to offer, even if it isn't much. after that I largely checked out.
as said above, I kind of didn't.
always been a Krusty fan, his jaded personality speaks to me.
back in the day it was always the writing, it was so sharp. I watched many other things as a kid, contemporary sitcoms, classic sitcoms, dramas like LA Law that my parents watched, old westerns like Bonanza, all sorts of shit, and very few of them had writing that was in the same universe as The Simpsons(one of the few that always did was Seinfeld). Years after the show proved it could stick around and was more than a fad other shows started to really up their writing, and I've always attributed that to The Simpsons laying down the groundwork.
I guess. Always used to whine about the show should be cancelled like everyone else, but now I'm ambivalent about it. When it ends it ends. Guess I'll be there to watch the finale.
I dunno. Would love to go to Universal, but the reasons are bigger than The Simpsons themselves, though I would be sure to check that part of the park out.
Simpsons and the old Warner Bros cartoons are the two primary media influences on my sarcastic outlook and personality. Others may not see that as a positive, but I do.
I guess? Idk never really thought about it. In the early 90s the characters being yellow was part of the aesthetic, many other shows on TV had bright vibrant colors(Tiny Toon Adventures, Garfield and Friends, Doug, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life as some examples). The weirdness of the yellow fit in at the time, when things were trying to break the norms from the 80s. After that early 90s aesthetic faded The Simpsons were simply too iconic to change their color. Always did feel the colors of the show suffered when they switched over to digital animation though.
To me it represents a rather large portion of my life. It's one of those things that's always been there. I've liked other TV shows during my life, but nearly every single one is long dead, relegated to my memories and maybe reruns on some obscure cable channel. I don't watch The Simpsons anymore, but it really is impressive that this thing that is nearly as old as I am(and the characters themselves are older than me) is still trucking along.

Really great answers Brad, you've just inspired me about something as I think you made a great point there and would love to see what others think in regards to this, I will tag you in it when done :)

I always try to judge the new episodes the way they are, instead of comparing them to earlier episodes (except when the plot is very, very deja vu).

Definitely agree. Re-using old plots and plot points, especially if it does feel like a complete re-hash of an old story, is always a minus and cannot save new episodes from not being judged on their own as it pretty much always bothersome and annoying that they cannot keep away from doing the same things again. However, if the plot is done better, unlikely as it is, it can be a good thing and it gets praise where it is due.

1. Can you remember the first ever episode you saw? Uh no, however I do remember when I was younger that my dad did watch the Simpsons when it aired, so I cannot give an accurate answer for what was the first episode I ever saw, I believe this was before Syndication

2. Since you was first a fan of the show, did you ever go off it for a while only to return to it? (did any other shows become a temporary replacement?) I don't think I really became a fan until I was 9, when Teletoon was airing it (Teletoon at the time was basically the Canadian equivalent of Cartoon Network because we didn't get CN until 2012, my provider didn't get it until 2015, and the price was Teletoon Retro) I didn't start watching original airings until season 13. but none of that has anything to do with the question, I could never wean myself off it though, oh wait yes I can, in 2012 I decided to start watching Once instead of new episodes of the show, and yes since it eventually moved to fridays and ultimately ended, I could have kept watching again, but I'd rather watch the Jets on most sundays (hey my city has an NHL team I intend on enjoying it)

3. Would you consider yourself a fan of the show today or only the earlier seasons? I still hold up my philosophy that the show was good up until season 19 even if I did keep watching newer episodes up until 2012

the fact that the other shows on the network are actually getting worse than the Simpsons are, I cannot stand Bob's Burger's for the life of me, I quit watching Family Guy in 2012 (but I will watch the Adam West Tribute episode)

5. Which character were you a fan of first and is this character still your favourite today? I wouldn't know where to start, I really did enjoy the prank calls but not so much the pranks for Bart,

6. What positives can you say about the show that makes it different to other shows? that at least Homer doesn't take parenting tips from Peter Griffin? or from any Seth Macfarlane patriarch? I mean if anything most shows in the 90s basically show me what not to do at work, or how not to take care of a child

7. If the show was to finally wrap up, would you feel content with the 30 year run they've had? I'm not sure how I would feel because it's been on the air almost as long as I've been alive (I was born two months before SROTOF aired) I mean I don't want to say that losing the Simpsons would be like losing a parent, but a real hole would be opened and nothing would be able to fill.

8. Is there anything as a fan you would love to do? (for example go to Florida or meet the cast) well I wish I could binge watch all the episodes but FXX Canada doesn't air the Simpsons, and we can't access Simpsons world from here either. To be honest I would like to check out the Springfield attraction at Universal

9. Has the show taught you anything positive that you take from it? well it's where I learned about pop culture references I'll give you that, heck I didn't understand why Selma was singing Natural Woman to JubJub until I saw this on youtube

10. Does the fact the characters have yellow skin add to the shows appeal for you? the show has been on for so long I sometimes don't really notice that they're Yellow, heck Arthur has been on the air for 22 years and sometimes I forget that they are Anthropomorphic Animals

11. Last but not least, what does The Simpsons mean to you? well I could say it did influence lots of other shows, but I can't name one outside of the Macfarlaneverse

There's No Disgrace Like Home was the first episode to debut on BBC 2 back in 1996. I was 12. I don't know why they showed that one first, but me and my friends laughed so much, and we were hooked.

Yeah when I went away to university in 2002, I didn't have very good TV reception and couldn't afford Sky. And then a few years later, by the time I was trying to get back into later seasons (2005 onwards?) and found it hard to be motivated to watch. I've only just started watching again the last year or two, and I think I've seen everything at least once now.

The earlier ones are much better written. The humour is funnier, more consistent, and it had a lot more heart. Songs were better in the older ones too.

Morbid curiosity. Nah I'm kidding. I do wish the show had ended years ago before it outlived its welcome, but what we get now has plenty of good moments. They just get less and less each season. I do think some of the sofa gags have been some of the best bits in some episodes recently.

I was obsessed with Bart back when it first started, but I think either Homer or Lisa is my favourite these days. Well, classic episodes anyway.

It was just so smartly produced. That's what makes old episodes so much fun to rewatch over and over again. I was laughing along to Flaming Moe's a few days ago, just thinking how much zest the episode has.

I'd be happy. I hope they do wind it up sooner rather than later.

I remember I used to write episode synopses and what the different chalkboard and couch gags were in a notebook when I was 12. I used to show it to my friend at school who loved reading it! :lol:

Ah yes, The Simpsons taught me everything about life that my parents were too afraid to tell me! :lol: I may be exaggerating slightly, but the show was so heartwarming at times I would tend to listen intently to everything.

When The BartMan came out in the early 90s, I loved their weird yellow skin. I hadn't seen any episodes up to that point and wouldn't see an episode until 1996 like I said earlier. Also I have to mention I'm writing this watching an episode from S9 as a 34 year old thinking, 'I still love their weird yellow skin!'

I feel like it's a musical roller-coaster with songs that keeps popping up at the back of my mind, never letting go of me! ;)

Yeah, I hear you [MENTION=67029]ComicBookGal[/MENTION] about the Simpsons World thing, I know I say it often but I do try stress that with the DVD releases for us it's more important because we can't really catch up on the episodes and seasons that aren't available on DVD so easily or can we watch them when we like, it's either when they're on TV or not at all and even then for the new episodes you have to have Sky TV etc.. which not everyone has (a lot of people just stick with Freeview in the UK now or other kind of subscriptions) but they really need to catch up on these and get them released. Hopefully the Disney takeover from Fox is the reason why they haven't followed up with season 19 and not just cause Fox are being lazy again (if only they would give us an update) as it's just getting too far behind and getting them to release them has been very difficult. I also hear you about the show wrapping up, it's kinda hard cause we do have so many seasons and episodes (as long as they release them) that we have so much to watch again and never get bored but at the same time after a while we probably will miss the show not bringing any new episodes or anything.

[MENTION=79216]Seven of Five[/MENTION] was that the first episode aired on Channel 4? That's interesting as that's one of my favourite episodes too, I know with mine I used to have them taped from Sky One by one of my uncles before we had Sky so I'm not sure what the first episode I ever saw was but as mentioned in my answers above I used to buy the video tapes too, it definitely was an early season though, probably will have been season one as I was watching the show pretty much as it came out in the UK. Haha in regards to the yellow skin, it honestly does add a lot of appeal for me, I'm not sure if it's just the colours or vibrancy (specially in the HD era) but it does make the show so good, I can't really explain why cause it's just skin colour but it does haha.

Great answers, I do enjoy reading these as you get to know other Simpsons fans and how it's been for them over the years, although we may have different vibes and opinions on things such as episodes, seasons etc... we're all fans of the show and it's interesting to see the different vibes you guys bring.

Appreciate you taking time to answer these :)

Yes it was the first one, but was on on BBC 2, it didn't swap over to Channel 4 for a few years.

Skin colour just makes it more distinguished from other shows I think.

I didn't know that [MENTION=79216]Seven of Five[/MENTION] that's interesting to know, probably a long shot but do you know the date it aired on BBC 2, would be interesting to know would that :)

I never watched any episodes that were new at the time, because the channel 4 aired older episodes out of order. Even then, I didn't watch many episodes when I was very young, so I probably didn't get to see a lot of seasons 1-8. But I can't remember for sure.

I can't really remember many specific episodes, but I do remember scenes that have stuck in my mind since I watched the show when I was very young.

I remember some specific scenes from Gift of the Magi: Lisa getting into trouble for drawing Venn Diagrams, and Chief Wiggum radioing Ralph - who he left in the bathtub.
I also remember some scenes from HOMR, like the crayon in Homer's brain, and the nice ending where Homer writes the letter to Lisa.

Some of the full episodes that have really stuck with me (from when I was nine or ten, or thereabouts), are Girls Just Wanna Have Sums as well as Marge be Not Proud. The fact that I remember those episode almost ten years later is a testament to how they really stuck in my mind after watching them.

While what I mostly remember from Girls Just Wanna Have Sums is Bart guiding Lisa through the all-boys school, so that's probably most of what I got out of the episode at the time. I certainly don't remember much after Lisa reveals herself at the end and puts her opinion on giving the boys and girls different curriculums, which I think is just because I didn't understand her explanations at the time.

Another one of the things that stuck in my mind was the heavy maths theme used as the target subject of choice. It was definitely the earliest example I could think that I properly understood and agreed with something Lisa had issues with. And a scene that has particularly stuck in my mind, is where Lisa (disguised as "Jake") answers the question:

6GRKcu8.png

[Yes, the one I remember is the maths question. I am that sad].

Anyway, I was like 9 or 10 when I watched this, so I basically had the same answer and reaction Lisa did, and Martins answer just left me confused. It wasn't until a few years later that I learned that the product of two negative numbers is a positive number (i.e: -5x-5=25), and even though at this stage I had pretty much stopped watching the show, this scene resurfaced when I was told this in maths class.

Now that I look back on these disjointed scenes and episodes that I remember, most of these are centred around scenes and episodes with Lisa, which I didn't expect. Anyway, the episode that I remember most clearly from when I was younger, is Marge be Not Proud.

This episode is generally seen to be a great watch, but even so I'm surprised how much I remember from it - pretty much the entire episode. I remember getting really into Bart's story, and actually understanding his motivations for shoplifting the game pretty well, as well as his sadness that the family didn't want much to do with him afterwards. Plus the ending where he makes it up to Marge is fairly vivid in my memories of the show.

I can't quite put my finger on what exactly made me like that episode so much when I was younger, but it had a decent enough impact on me to make me remember it this well.

Anyway, this took longer than expected, so I'll write more answers when I get a chance.

Back