Some poor episode choice taste...

Voodoo Monkey

Straight-Shootin' Sonofagun
This afternoon, with the Challenger space disaster still in our minds, Global TV showed the Simpsons episode 'She of Little Faith', which starts off with Homer crashing a rocket into the church.

Anyone else think this was pretty stupid of them?

Wait. You mean to tell me they aired an episode which involes a rocket crashing into a building!? HOW DARE THEY! How can they do something so blatant as to echo the horrific tragedy of September 11th? Don't they realize small children are watching? Oh my goodness, those horrible images of the planes crashing into the WTC are coming back to me now....This episode surely needs to be banned from the airwaves so as not to continuously haunt us all of that horrific, tragic day. :( :( :(

People are too sensitive over anything and everything nowadays.

GET OVER IT, ALREADY.

Last edited:
logo_large.gif

Meh. Global had already slated the episode to air, and since the event was so sudden I'm sure they weren't thinking about the episode's impact at this time. Besides, it's a model rocket, and it has nothing to do with the tragedy, and if things this unrelated started getting censored, then our world has truly gone mad.

Number One said:

What does that band have to do with anything?

Also, they probably already had that episode scheduled and didn't think about which episode they were showing, so didn't change it. Or, mabye they had some sort of time constraint.

I wouldn't have even cared if they had shown "Deep Space Homer". Sure, it might have been weird or even creepy, but it would not have offended me because I know they probably didn't show it on purpose and they already had chosen for it to be on well in advance. I think it is an overreaction and people get offended to easily.

I wouldn't have cared. If I ran my local FOX affiliate, I'd air episodes on any day, regardless of what happened. I'd air 4F22, "The City of New York Vs. Homer Simpson" on the 11th of September for all I care. IT'S A DAMN TV SHOW, PEOPLE. IT HAS NO CONNECTION TO THE ACTUAL EVENTS THAT HAPPENED YEARS AFTER THE EPISODES WERE CREATED.

I didn't even make the connection until just reading this now but..

Deep Space Homer was shown here in Seattle on FOX on Friday evening during the daily reruns that are shown mid-day.

Weird coincidence.

The Canadian networks had just wrapped up their coverage and Homer comes on and says "The word 'unblowuppable' is thrown around a lot these days"

I don't think it was in poor taste or that it shouldn't be shown. I just marvel at the odds that that episode was shown on that day of all days. and right afterwards. WHAT ARE THE ODDS?!!!

To quote someone else on this board,

CRY ME A RIVER AND BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT!!!

Maybe we should just start deleting every word that contains the word "rocket." That would also help.

I suppose they should also ban "You Only Move Twice" since Hank Scorpio is a "terrorist"...which probably means he got his funding from people buying marijuana....like Otto.

Im not against showing the NY episodes again or She of Little Faith, but they just showed She of Little Faith today. I think they did it on purpose considering it was on like a week and 1/2 ago. I mean I think it would be ok to wait a month before showing it again. Its just ackward. There are 200+ episodes to chose from.

If every single reference to something that might offend someone somewhere was deleted from the Simpsons, there wouldn't be much left to show, would there?

Keep in mind that the Simpsons is supposed to be a show that reflects on society. You can't have a show that satirizes just about everything without referring to some "unpleasant" events. Besides, who's to say what's offensive and what's not? No one cares that there's how many movies about World War 1 or the sinking of the Titanic - no one gets upset (personally) by watching them. They're not touchy issues, maybe because they happened so long ago - but what should that matter?

Just because the Simpsons happens to be a little more up-to-date doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to see the WTC intact, or an obscure reference to something that hadn't happened yet (the Columbia) in Homer crashing a rocket.

Wasn't Deep Space Homer based on the events of Apollo 13? Even though lives were in danger there, no one seems to mind that being portrayed. I don't think every little reference needs to be taken literally and certainly no one should feel that the Global thingie is trying to offend anyone.

steven_hyde said:
cbc aired the episode "The PTA Disbands" on the day a teacher strike started.

THOSE MONSTERS!!!!!!!

Never again, will i be able to watch "She Of Little Faith" without a tear coming to my eye because of this disaster {/sarcasm]

It's a toy rocket crashing into a church. It has little to do with this disaster, really.

You have got to be joking. Theres a shuttle accident, so now we cant watch Homer play with a toy rocket?
Hey, they showed Homer driving a car, that was pretty stupid of them, after all the people who died in car accidents that day!
By the way, the Challenger accident happened about 17 years ago, I think you mean the Columbia.

Perhaps an episode of "Do Shut Up" would be more your speed.

(Ya see, it's a put down AND a reference.)

Everyone is stupid except me.

The day after Dale Earnhardt died the episode where Maude died at the racetrack was shown in syndication here. I thought it was just weird, cause there were race car accidents in the episode and stuff.

Skittlebrau said:
Wait. You mean to tell me they aired an episode which involes a rocket crashing into a building!? HOW DARE THEY! How can they do something so blatant as to echo the horrific tragedy of September 11th? Don't they realize small children are watching? Oh my goodness, those horrible images of the planes crashing into the WTC are coming back to me now....This episode surely needs to be banned from the airwaves so as not to continuously haunt us all of that horrific, tragic day. :( :( :(

People are too sensitive over anything and everything nowadays.

GET OVER IT, ALREADY.

actually, i think the problem is more reference to the space shuttle that crashed hours before this episode aired. i still think it's a stretch, but I can see it pulling a few people's tastes.
maybe you should get the facts straight before making completely ignorant statements.

Singin Hobo said:

actually, i think the problem is more reference to the space shuttle that crashed hours before this episode aired. i still think it's a stretch, but I can see it pulling a few people's tastes.
maybe you should get the facts straight before making completely ignorant statements.

Ok...a toy rocket...gerbils...it crashing into a church...HELLO! The Columbia exploded in the air, it did not crash into something. Sure, the debris flew down into Texas, but did not cause extreme damage. The only similarilty is the rocket...GET OVER IT like everyone else has said...a tragedy, yes, but is it that huge and that much of an impact to take EVERYTHING on TV that features a space shuttle off of television? The only people who would be offeneded are soccer moms. Not even space shuttle nerds would be offended, they know that these things happen. Accidents happen, this happened to happen...again: GET OVER IT!...

Back