Sneed's Feed and Seed

HowdyNeighbor

Homer's True Enemy
Remember E-I-E-I-D'oh? Well, remember the Sneed's Feed and Seed joke? It has become a meme now, spread by Reddit and 4chan. It's actually quite controversial too. What do you think of the meme?
Here are some examples:
sneed-1.jpg

sneed-2.jpg
sneed-3.jpg

sneed-4.jpg

not really a "joke" necessarily but the "sneed's seed and feed (formerly chuck's)" gag is always, without fail, mentioned within the first five posts of a thread about sign gags, subtle jokes, or Clever Jokes Only Really Smart People Get and it annoys the hell out of me. whenever someone brings it up I imagine a kid proudly boasting about finding a naughty word in the dictionary
I hate it even more now that it's a meme and I have to keep seeing it

I assumed it was the latter which is why I gave a nonsensical response... I'm hoping that anyone can get this joke 20+ years later.
If i remember correctly, the only reason it became a huge meme was because the mods on 4chan's /tv/ board tried to ban/delete sneed-related posts which in return only made them spam it even more. one of the stupidest meme origins ever

If i remember correctly, the only reason it became a huge meme was because the mods on 4chan's /tv/ board tried to ban/delete sneed-related posts which in return only made them spam it even more. one of the stupidest meme origins ever
Sounds like the same vein as the "do it for free" posts, then.
Isn't that called the Streisand effect?

I think the Sneed meme is the definition of a forced meme. While Steamed Hams sorta happened naturally, this always felt like more pushed into the meme position on message boards, comments, etc. and that makes it feel more, well, artificial and annoying.

A few of the variants have been kinda creative, though one notable thing that has come out of it is Ian Maxtone-Graham (the writer of E-I-E-I D'oh, the episode with the scene) revealing some "lore" on Twitter earlier this year, which was unexpected:

Last edited:
There was a period of several years when I understood memes.
I don't anymore.

Back