Smoking - Cool or Not Cool?

How do you feel about it?

• Total voters
I've seen more people ruin their lives with alcohol than with smoking. :gatorshrug: and from experience of those around me, quitting alcohol seems a little harder because of the pressure of those around you.

There's no "moderation" in smoking, any time is bad for you and you will almost always get addicted.
You're making it sound like we're talking about crack. The occasional cigarette isn't going to cause all that much harm. It's only when you make it a part of your daily life when you should get worried, which you can also say about alcohol consumption.

I don't think it depends on the cigarette or alcohol itself but the person doing either act. OSS is acting like anyone who will try a cigarette will get addicted because a cigarette is that harmful. But in reality it all depends on the user and how addictive their personality is and if addiction runs in their family or not. It's a disease and some people have it and some don't.

My granddad nearly died of smoking, and managed to survive through surgery after they took out a whole chunk of his stomach.

So no.

No, it isn't cool.

That said, I've been to a few hookah bars before and I've smoked marijuana a number of times. But "cool" wasn't the reason.

I don't find anything cool-looking about people smoking. It just makes me want to get as far away from them as possible. So no way.

it'd be cooler without the hideous smell, but it does look cool on some people

I actually think smoking looks pretty cool in itself, and can look pretty hot if the person doing it is attractive.

Wouldn't the person being attractive to begin with kind of negate the need to do it for any sort of aesthetic purpose?

It's uncomfortable being the sober one among drunk people.

Meh, sometimes you can get a good laugh from being sober and watching the drunkards make asses of themselves.

i guess elliot gould and belmondo do look pretty damn cool when they're smoking, but that has a lot to do with the time period. when i see someone smoking today i tend to just feel disappointment.

smoking was great before we knew it was killing us

[MENTION=47429]Frightened Inmate No. 2[/MENTION] makes a good point about the time period. Like any fad or popular item, there's a certain era that things just fit naturally into. Not to mention it will always depend on the person themselves to begin with.

So like....

seal2.jpg

vs.
date-me.jpg

It looks kind of cool at first, but then when you're near a smoker who reaks of smoke and coughs that smoking cough, it's not cool anymore. And a person who has smoked for their entire life doesn't look that cool to me, neither does cancer.

There's no "moderation" in smoking, any time is bad for you and you will almost always get addicted.

I'm one of the very few people who has managed not to. I've smoked a great deal of cigarettes here and there in my lifetime. Particularly when I'm drunk or stoned or what have you, but I've never been a consistent smoker. I've bought a pack of cigarettes twice in my life, I've smoked about 3 of them, and then wound up giving the rest away to smokers I knew.

I may smoke as many as 6 or 7 cigarettes in a day on a heavy smoking day for me, but then I may go weeks and months at a time without smoking again. I've never gotten addicted to them, don't think I ever would. Even try to cut out the casual smoking of them these days.

Back