Simpsons renewed for seasons 31 and 32

Ryan

wee
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the-simpsons-renewed-season-31-32-fox-1203130108/

"“The Simpsons” has been picked up for a 31st and 32nd season at Fox, the network announced Wednesday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

News of the renewal comes just two weeks after Variety reported that the show was nearing a new deal for a two-season pick up.

At the conclusion of Season 32, the iconic animated sitcom will have produced 713 episodes total. “The Simpsons” is the longest-running primetime scripted show in television history, having surpassed “Gunsmoke” during its 29th season."

The end begins...

Whenever they end, I just hope it's when they want to, not because an important voice actor died.

oboy 2 more years of seeing clips of the new episodes during the ad breaks of NFL games

Here's what Homer thinks of this news...

But seriously, I heard that Disney and FOX want to see how profitable the new episodes are. They've finally been aware FOX has been losing money over the new episodes and their poor ratings, as if it were a stream of constant box-office bombs, and the fact that Disney has bought 20th Century Fox doesn't help much (as they are a separate entity from FOX Broadcasting.) If the low ratings and profits continue, Disney and FOX will pull the plug.

because the rating is favorable, because it generates profits

Ah, but since Disney bought the 20th Century Fox properties, FOX has become aware of how in recent years, the show has been getting really lousy ratings and they are losing money over the new episodes. These days, the Simpsons only brings in money through merchandising and the reruns on FXX (seriously, the older episode reruns on cable pull in higher ratings than the new episodes do, and for good reason!) So FOX and Disney decided to renew the show for two more seasons to see how they perform. If they do as poorly as the previous episodes and seasons do, then they will consider pulling the plug. Seriously, even SpongeBob SquarePants is massively more popular than the Simpsons these days AND I heard the show has gotten good again, so that won't help the Simpsons much...

But I've heard from here that the Simpsons was ending? Would've been nice if the show ended on a round number, but I won't say no to more episodes. I just hope they pick up the quality.. something I ask like every time this show gets renewed.

Hell Yeah! Praise the Great Yellow Ones!

tenor.gif

Edit: Dammit! Why are the gifs always bigger than I expect them to be?

So, now that it's official, what are the odds Treehouse of Horror XXX will be episode #666? That kind of opportunity doesn't come around every day.

So, now that it's official, what are the odds Treehouse of Horror XXX will be episode #666? That kind of opportunity doesn't come around every day.

Al Jean actually confirmed this, It's happening and I'm really excited.

Its saving grace was the consistently good ratings from when it enjoyed the NFL lead-in. Thank God for that.

Yep, because the football games running overtime would screw up DVRs, and so people would have no choice but to watch it live. Because FOX believes DVR schedule recordings getting screwed up or cancelled is GOOD.

Ah, but since Disney bought the 20th Century Fox properties, FOX has become aware of how in recent years, the show has been getting really lousy ratings and they are losing money over the new episodes. These days, the Simpsons only brings in money through merchandising and the reruns on FXX (seriously, the older episode reruns on cable pull in higher ratings than the new episodes do, and for good reason!) So FOX and Disney decided to renew the show for two more seasons to see how they perform. If they do as poorly as the previous episodes and seasons do, then they will consider pulling the plug. Seriously, even SpongeBob SquarePants is massively more popular than the Simpsons these days AND I heard the show has gotten good again, so that won't help the Simpsons much...

I can not discuss anything related to the popularity that the show generates in the United States because I do not live there and I do not know the situation. But, in terms of ratings, The Simpsons is now the fifth most watched show of the season 2018/19 with an average of 1.6, being exceeded only by The Big Bang Theory, This is Us, Young Sheldon, Grey's Anatomy, and winning by a wide difference to any animated show. Currently, it is the most watched program on FOX.

As for earnings, a recent note in Variety explains that, while The Simpsons are the ones that demand more money to make their episodes, they are also the ones with the highest profits, being the most profitable show for FOX Broadcasting Company, which will take care of the next two seasons in question.

I'm not at all surprised about the two season renewal but rather think it was a rather natural development. Not only is the show still pulling in a lot of good, high ratings but now that Disney is aquiring Fox they want to let the show keep going until the viewership drops drastically and it's no longer as profitable (if they hadn't gotten Fox I wonder if this double season renewal would've been as certain, but it's definitely a big possibility as the show is still big despite the common negativity towards the modern seasons).

Back