Simpson's Movie now a reality.

HOLY. FUCK.

Not sure what to make of this, but thanks Maddog.

I just hope its really good. And that it doesn't somehow equal JTS (not saying it will).

As I expected, while the show is in production. They sure wont have time on their hands for a while.

DotheBartman said:
Not sure what to make of this, but thanks Maddog.

No problem.

I'm kind of split with my reaction. While I think it may be hard to do a movie while the show is still running, I am pleased that Mike Reiss (and I'm speculating the Al Jean will be one of the five) are helming it. Because they are involved I'm a lot less worried than if it were someone else.

We'll all just have to wait and see.

Maddog.

While I'm very shocked, I'd have to say I'm actually not as worried as I'd think I'd be. Reiss and Jean being involved certainly helps quite a bit, but otherwise I'm actually not sure why I'm not more bothered by this. I've always felt that there shouldn't be a Simpsons movie (even if it was always a looming inevitability). I just don't know if The Simpsons can work as an hour and a half thing.

Yet, somehow I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Let's hope its really good.

I dunno, we've heard things like this before (although this is a little more convincing than most). I'm going to reserve judgement until I see a little more.

I'd prefer that it waited until the series was over, but hey, this could work. I'm glad that Reiss and Jean are at the head of it. Is anyone else worried about the "secret"? I hope he was just talking about the basic plot, and not anything major. I dislike change.

Well, it would consist of four seperate plots with a main plot tying everything together. The trick is from converting a tv show to a movie, work with different ideas and at least give enough screen time to each character.

JackSpader said:
Well, it would consist of four seperate plots with a main plot tying everything together.

That's in interesting idea. Like a full-length Trilogy of Error. Actually, that's the most viable idea for a Simpsons movie I've heard in a while. Somewhat gimmicky, but workable... I like it!

Ranadok said:
Is anyone else worried about the "secret"? I hope he was just talking about the basic plot, and not anything major. I dislike change.

I took it to mean that the "secret" was just the basic plot, and nothing earth-shattering. But we don't really know anything, so it is hard to speculate.

Maddog.

They'd better tie Scully up and throw him in in a closet somewhere, along with Ian Maxtone-Graham so they can't ruin it. I mean sure, they could pull another Marge Be Not Proud or Lisa Gets an A, but can we really afford to risk it? Just keep them far far away.

I think it'll turn out fine, though I'm a little suprised that it'll come before the show ends. They'd better not shift all focus to the movie though. I'd prefer a good season to a good movie.

If its on the Internet it must be true !

Hmm, yes, we've heard things about this before, but seeing Mike Reiss has come out and commented about it, it looks like a goer.

I'm a bit of a puritan who believes the show should stay as a 22-minute series, and not a series of 90-minute movies. I have every faith in the writers' abilities to make this movie work, but I just can't really see it succeeding.

Shame they didn't write it back in the early to mid 90's and throw it in a vault. At least then we would know for sure it would be a success.

Don't get me wrong, I have faith in the writers. It's just the way the show has been going over the past few years has dimmed my optimism.

Having said that, i'll still be there on opening night :)

Woah. 2006, eh? I wonder if they'll let me book a ticket now. ;)

I'm caustiously optimistic. Could be good, but I think I'll wait and see the quality of the episodes around then to be sure. Still, its very interesting.

This news worries me. There aren't many recent movies based off of TV shows that turned out well, the South Park movie being the most recent exception, and that's mostly because the format for the movie was so much different from the format of the show. That might be the way to go in the Simpsons movie project, use the same kind of humor, but try to change the format of presenting it. Then again, the show's been around for so long, what haven't they tried?

I don't know how to feel!! I have been waiting for some concrete confirmation, and now I guess I have it! Anyone guess the 5 writers?

Ranadok said:
I'd prefer that it waited until the series was over

bad idea. when the show gets cancelled it will be because people lose intrest in it, and it no longer brings in ratings, or that the writing stinks. In both cases, a simpsons movie would suck.

if they mess this up it could mean the end for the simpsons... if it's bad enough.

let's hope it's not 'THE SIMPSONS ARE GOING TO ____' like so many other cartoon show spinoff movies.

(pitches camp outside movie theater and begins the wait for tickets)

I'm a little anxious, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they can pull it off. Good luck, writers. Keep Scully at bay.

Anyone guess the 5 writers?
I'm hoping it will be George Meyer, Jon Vitti, John Swatzwelder, Sam Simon and Jeff Martin. And then there is AJ and MR.

I reckon the first three I mention will be in there, although I think MG and someone else are more likely than the other two. Possibly David Mirkin and, as much as I hope not (although, as most are agreed) his writing was quite good.

let's hope it's not 'THE SIMPSONS ARE GOING TO ____' like so many other cartoon show spinoff movies.
I'd say that's more the style of non-cartoon TV shows, as the increased budgets mean they can afford to film somewhere else. With cartoons, that isn't really a factor.

Also, as Mike Reiss mentions Al Jean is writing the movie, and based on what they both said about their work hours on the S3 commentaries, does anyone think that Al Jean may not be staying as EP for that long? That presuming that there is heavy work on the movie. And, if five veteran writers are also working on it, we may see one of the "newer" lot.

I just hope they don't go with the Bart loses his virginity plot that Reiss suggested a while ago...

i'm wetting my pants in :

fear
anxiety
excitement
worry
wonder
concern
intrigue

EDIT:

I have to give credit to Al who went back to the show. I feel he rejuvenated it.

:mexican:

Last edited:
SomeOne said:
bad idea. when the show gets cancelled it will be because people lose intrest in it, and it no longer brings in ratings, or that the writing stinks. In both cases, a simpsons movie would suck.

True, but I'm more worried about what it does to the show by being in production at the same time, either by taking away from the TV counterpart, or not being as good a movie as it could be because focus is still on the TV series. I'd rather have a good season and no movie than a mediocre season and a mediocre (or even good) movie. Just my opinion, though. I am still excited as something really excitable in an exciting place.

Mike:......I think “The Simpsons” conceivably, if they run it right, could run like SNL, where it just runs and runs and runs and keeps refreshing and rejuvenating itself.

wonderful.....i never realized how true this could be.....i still watch SNL even without Ferrel.....just like after Hartman died, Myers left and so on.....wow that is so good to hear, and puts the show in a new light for me.........

nice to see the creators not bowing down to sitcom rules about running length etc.......as long as they don't turn it into The Simpson's Family Variety Hour by season 21 that's cool....

and a movie.........eecchh I have a bad feeling about this........movies based on shows are never good.......if anyone is going to break this lacklustre mold it would obviously be The Simpsons...but still........heading into fragile territory.....

if they turn it into live action there will be a revolution I'm afraid

When I look at the current writing staff, I feel that Vitti, and Swartzwelder are two of the 5. I also think George Meyer will be there. My concern lies with the fact the way Reiss worded his answer, it sounds like AJ and MR are not part of the "other" 5 writers. In other words, I think IMG is a veteran writer and I think he might be one of the five working on the movie. IMO, bringing back David Mirkin for the film would be a good idea since he has experience with full length pictures and knows how to create a 90 minute story. I also hope Jim Brooks has a large involvement, its been mentioned but I don't think there's a chance in hell Sam Simon will be back.

And what about a director? Silverman? Archer? Kirkland? Or the goddess herself Lauren Macmullan.

Back