Simpsons Jokes that We Don't Get

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't understand something in Viva Ned Flanders. It shows two very strange looking characters driving back from Las Vegas. I have a the Simpsons guide that says these are characters from a certain artist, but I want more information on them.

This has been asked several times. It's Hunter S. Thompson and his friend/lawyer from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Watch the film for more info, or better yet, read the book.

Something I don't get ... in "Bart the Lover", Homer says "Bart's teacher is named Krabapple? But I've been calling her Crandall!"

Is there something I should know about with Crandall? What's the story with that?

Also, it wasn't "Bart the Lover" it was "Grade School Confidential." :)

If you're asking where it comes from, the entire first scene is a direct parody of the opening sequence to All in the Family.

In the one where Homer and bart get rabies, Lisa says "Mom I told Bart and Dad they had rabies," and then Marge says "Hanson's disease you know all that cream soda." What the heck does this mean I am so confused whenever I see that

Not rabies. She told them they had leprosy, which is known in modern times as Hansen's disease. Hansen's is also a brand name of cream soda. Marge must have thought Lisa had forgotten what the more "proper" name was and gave her that as a way to remember it, being more concerned about it than the fact that she made Homer and Bart think they were lepers.

Forgive me if these jokes have already been explained.

In "Realty Bites", why is Lenny so ashamed when Marge and Hutz (God rest his soul) knock over his house? Why doesn't he want anyone to "tell people how I live"?

In "Gump Roast" why does it say Tomorrow: Milhouse Roast on the sign below the announcement of Homer's roast?

What's with all the various items between the Simpson's floors? (Bars of Gold, FBI bugs, etc.)?

Why does Burns not want Homer to hurt Carl in "Homer vs. Dignity"?

Is the shotgun that Maggie had from "Pappa's Got a Brand New Badge" the same on that Homer left in the crib in "Mom and Pop Art"? If so, why didn't Maggie use it to fight the racoon in "Little Girl in the Big Ten"?

Finally, are they trying to make Maggie out to be a potential psycho?

In "Realty Bites", why is Lenny so ashamed when Marge and Hutz (God rest his soul) knock over his house? Why doesn't he want anyone to "tell people how I live"?

Did you see his house in that scene, he was ashamed of other people knowing his living conditions. Notice Lenny's house is very differant from "Secrets of a Succesful Marriage."

In "Gump Roast" why does it say Tomorrow: Milhouse Roast on the sign below the announcement of Homer's roast?

Well they are going to roast Milhouse tommorow. Should be easy pickings.

What's with all the various items between the Simpson's floors? (Bars of Gold, FBI bugs, etc.)?

Just a small joke, to make things interesting.

Why does Burns not want Homer to hurt Carl in "Homer vs. Dignity"?

Actually is was Lenny, not Carl. Homer says that Lenny is a war hero.

Is the shotgun that Maggie had from "Pappa's Got a Brand New Badge" the same on that Homer left in the crib in "Mom and Pop Art"? If so, why didn't Maggie use it to fight the racoon in "Little Girl in the Big Ten"?

My my you are picky. ;-/

Finally, are they trying to make Maggie out to be a potential psycho?

My personal opinion is that the writers are trying to show that gun violence effects kids, or perhaps gun access is very easy.

Did you see his house in that scene, he was ashamed of other people knowing his living conditions. Notice Lenny's house is very differant from "Secrets of a Succesful Marriage."

My my you are picky.

In regard to the first one, we also see Lenny's apartment in Helter Shelter.

And for the other one, In "Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge", Maggie use a rifle, not the shotgun put in her crib in "pop art".

Homer VS Dignity: Yeah I think it was Carl who he told Homer off about throwing stuff at. But there is the 'Not Lenny!' joke it's just funny because Mr Burns wants Homer to do low things to people for money, but in an ironic way the second Homer tries to do anything Burns or someone else tells him off and he screws up.

From THOH XII

Krusty: "I've heard of the the wailing wall but this is ridicolous."
CBG: "I'm so sick of that joke."

What's that about?
(And don't bother looking for the capsule at SNPP.COM because they haven't made it yet.)

Citizen Kang said:
The Wailing Wall is a place in Jerusalem where people go to pray...

http://www.olivebranch.com/isreal/jesurwall.htm

But Krusty takes the literal sense of the word cause all the souls were wailing. And it's a joke Krusty probably used a million times...

I knew what 'wall' he was referring to. So I guess CBG watches the Krusty show then.......or people who think like Krusty.

In Deep Space Homer, is the FOX Satellite hitting Homer a parody/reference or a joke, or just a scene about Space to go along with the episode?

And if this has already been asked, then I appologise, but I'm not going to go through 40 pages looking for the answer.

Screamapillar said:
In Deep Space Homer, is the FOX Satellite hitting Homer a parody/reference or a joke, or just a scene about Space to go along with the episode?

And if this has already been asked, then I appologise, but I'm not going to go through 40 pages looking for the answer.

Yeah, it's from 2001: A Space Odyssey. In the beginning, a monkey throws a bone into the air, you see it spinning upwards, just like Bart's pen. Then it jump-cuts to a satellite, like in the episode Deep Space Homer. The baby Homer parodies a little baby in the bubble seen at the end of the film, although I never understood what that bit meant.

The "space" baby at the end of 2001 is the next step of human evolution. At the beginning of the movie, the Black Monolith "helped" the apes evolve into man.....At the end, the humans are evolving into something superior.

In Lisa's Substitute, at the end, Lisa gets handed a note saying 'You Are Lisa Simpson'. What does that actually mean? It's probably just a stupid question... but anyway, i need to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question:

IN Bart vs. Australia, Evan Connover, the Undersecretary of the ....whatever...tries to get Homer and Marge to let Bart go to jail in Australia for a few years. He says to them
"are you sure, the prison train is sailing?"
What the hell does that mean? or is it just funny sounding, and that's the joke? Cause I say that alot and it cracks me up.

MaxpowerAK79 said:
I have a question:

IN Bart vs. Australia, Evan Connover, the Undersecretary of the ....whatever...tries to get Homer and Marge to let Bart go to jail in Australia for a few years. He says to them
"are you sure, the prison train is sailing?"
What the hell does that mean? or is it just funny sounding, and that's the joke? Cause I say that alot and it cracks me up.

I think it's just an expression meaning 'The chances of going to prison are going... sure you don't want to send him to prison?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back