Simpsons Jokes that We Don't Get

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was when Kent Brockman was showing the homeless people in his segment while showing Bart how to make those kind of segments...

In "Beyond Blunderdome" I don't get this scene

Mel: You get the teamsters and I'll see If the crew will work for free
Homer OK, Now where's that kid with my Latte?

I dont Get that last bit, Also I think this thread should be a sticky

SideshowTim said:
In "Beyond Blunderdome" I don't get this scene

Mel: You get the teamsters and I'll see If the crew will work for free
Homer OK, Now where's that kid with my Latte?

I dont Get that last bit, Also I think this thread should be a sticky

I think it's just supposed to be about how Homer thinks he's a big-time Hollywood guy now that he's hanging out with Mel Gibson, so he assumes he's prestigious enough to have people wait on him and get him drinks. Obviously he's really not.

What does "Dresh" mean? It was a word in the episode with "Bart's People" where he was a news anchor?

Actually, I think the word you're looking for is "gordash."

In "King-Size Homer," what does the farmer mean when he says, "Oh, no, the corn! Paul Newman's gonna have my legs broke

paulnewman_poster_layout.jpg

For those of you who like to scarf your popcorn in the sack, the good news is that "Newman's Own" contains an aphrodisiac.

In The Joy of Sect, when Mr. Burns decides to start his cult, his symbol is a huge B over a silhouetted Christmas tree. What's the deal with this, or is there a deal?

Last edited:
I think the joke is that Mr. Burns keeps on trying to figure out a good symbol to use for his cult...He has a few ideas before the tree such as the Mickey Mouse symbol, the "K" from Special K. Smithers says that he will take care of the symbol for Mr. Burns because Mr. Burns keeps on picking symbols that are already in use...So it's pretty funny that the only thing he could figure out to use as a symbol was a Christmas Tree, which is just as common as the other things mr. Burns picked.

Seem right?

ComixFan15 said:
Actually, I think the word you're looking for is "gordash."
Or... "Jordache." The seniors are making flags out of clothing, and apparently one of them used a Jordache-brand article of clothing with the Jordache name on it. Hence Bart's line "And some purists say the American flag doesn't have the word 'Jordache.'"

PsycheEnFuego said:
Or... "Jordache." The seniors are making flags out of clothing, and apparently one of them used a Jordache-brand article of clothing with the Jordache name on it. Hence Bart's line "And some purists say the American flag doesn't have the word 'Jordache.'"

By George (Cauldron), I think he's got it!

My question is in reference to the episode where Homer goes to the Chili Cook-off, trips out on hot peppers, then looks for his soul mate (sorry, I can't remember the the title of the episode):

Towards the end of the episode Homer yells out: "I'm an insignificant speck, on a has been planet, orbiting a cold and indifferent sun!" - what is that quote from? It sounds really familiar but I can't place it. At first I thought it was Shakespeare, but it isn't. Can any of you Lit majors out there help me?

I haven't read that anywhere, but it does sound strongly reminiscient of...

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.
- Douglas Noel Adams; A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

If it's a direct quote, I'm as interested as you are to know where it came from. It isn't credited in A Complete Guide To OFF.

Last edited:
I don't get in the Kamp Krusty episode where Homer suddenly looses his hair and grows weight when he hears Bart is responsible and also confused in the ep where it's the history of Maggie, Marge says: "And your bottom was a little bigger." Can she read his mind or something?

deshem said:
I don't get in the Kamp Krusty episode where Homer suddenly looses his hair and grows weight when he hears Bart is responsible and also confused in the ep where it's the history of Maggie, Marge says: "And your bottom was a little bigger." Can she read his mind or something?

Without the stress and hard work of having children, Homer is a happier person, and to symbolize this, he got more hair and lost weight. When he hears about Bart, once again he gets back to the harsh reality that he really has a bad kid and always gets in those sorts of problems. The fact that he lost his hair and got heavier so suddenly is what makes it so funny.

As for "And Maggie Makes Three," there's nothing really behind that. It's just supposed to be funny because Homer has been making up all sorts of stories. He probably said something about his weight that the audience just didn't hear, and Marge corrected him on it.

Lisa Lionheart said:
My question is in reference to the episode where Homer goes to the Chili Cook-off, trips out on hot peppers, then looks for his soul mate (sorry, I can't remember the the title of the episode):

Towards the end of the episode Homer yells out: "I'm an insignificant speck, on a has been planet, orbiting a cold and indifferent sun!" - what is that quote from? It sounds really familiar but I can't place it. At first I thought it was Shakespeare, but it isn't. Can any of you Lit majors out there help me?
It's not quoting anything. Homer's just voicing how insignificant he feels in very flowery language.

The episode is supposed to explore the meaning of life and love and for Homer to come out with such a deep speech is kind of accentuating that but at the same time it is out of character which makes it doubly significant.

Is that Dad? Either that or batman's really let himself go...

Okay, I got one...

the Devil and Homer Simpson - The demon that's shoving donuts down Homer's pie hole says "I don't get it. James Coco went mad in (whatever) minutes."

Who is this James Coco person?

Who is James Coco?
Homer's tormentor in hell says, "James Coco went mad in fifteen minutes!" Steve Portigal explains, "James Coco was an (at times) respected actor, who also was famous for his weight, and perhaps
appetite. He was in lots of films, including a Don Quixote version.The last things I remember him doing was playing the lovable
criminal uncle of Tony Micelli on `Who's the Boss?' When he died, they had a sad maudlin episode about how much they loved him."
http://www.snpp.com/episodes/1F04.html

I wouldn't have known who he was had I not looked it up, but I felt it was safe to assume he was just some fat actor. As for everything being American.... it's made in America, The Simpsons are American... what would you expect? Go to the library and get a couple of books on American presidents if you're missing loads of references!

Man,

Every time I watch Mad Max, Road Warrior, or even Beyond Thunderdome, I'm just like "What are they talking about? All these Australian references...What's their problem!" :)

What is the music that plays over Homer's NY flashback in 'The City of NY vs. Homer Simpson'. The one in black and white... They've used it before, and I like it, but I can't find the name.

Tibor said:
What is the music that plays over Homer's NY flashback in 'The City of NY vs. Homer Simpson'. The one in black and white... They've used it before, and I like it, but I can't find the name.

I'm pretty sure it's the theme music from "The Sting" (Paul Newman/Robert Redford movie).

isn't it called the entertainer? that classical music; piano. Btw what does Duff Del el muerto mean on the poster in Cuba or something to that effect in "the trouble with trillions"?

brooke2003 said:
Btw what does Duff Del el muerto mean on the poster in Cuba or something to that effect in "the trouble with trillions"?

It says "El Duffo O Muerte". Roughly translated, it means "Duff or Death". (For the record, the guy next to the phrase on the sign is Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara.)

So I believe it was the episode in which Bart and Lisa took the career tests and Bart got placed as a police officer and Lisa as a homemaker. Lisa makes some sort of comment to the effect of "I could always go to Vassar" To which Homer responds sternly..."I've had just about enough of your Vassar bashing." What's the joke here?

-Matt

mathias1979 said:
So I believe it was the episode in which Bart and Lisa took the career tests and Bart got placed as a police officer and Lisa as a homemaker. Lisa makes some sort of comment to the effect of "I could always go to Vassar" To which Homer responds sternly..."I've had just about enough of your Vassar bashing." What's the joke here?

-Matt

Vassar is a high-quality college in New York State. Lisa is basically saying that she would be embarrassed to attend it, feeling it is below her. Since Homer has absolutely no connections to Vassar, it's odd that he would become angry at this.

By the way, I'm pretty sure this was from "The PTA Disbands", not "Separate Vocations".

I probably should know this, but why does Marge say "I could have sworn it was 302" in Barting Over

Also, to add on to mathias's question, Lisa also bashed Stanford in a similar fashion in Brawl in the Family

In I'm Going to Praiseland, when Skinner hallucenates and remarks to Bart that he wasn't there because it was "his idea of heaven", did he imply that Bart was going to hell, or that he just didn't like Bart so he didn't show up?

FrankysteinMark II said:
In I'm Going to Praiseland, when Skinner hallucenates and remarks to Bart that he wasn't there because it was "his idea of heaven", did he imply that Bart was going to hell, or that he just didn't like Bart so he didn't show up?

Yeah, he was saying that his version of heaven would exclude the unenjoyable qualities of his life(Bart).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back