Simpsons Jokes that We Don't Get

Status
Not open for further replies.
In "Cape Feare" when Homer runs into Bart's bedroom with the knife, he looks scary and it almost seems like his eyes are glowing. Was that supposed the be a spoof of something?

Skinner's comment about fire being our friend whether its toasting smores or raining down on charlie? i think it was in brother's little helper...

brooke2003 said:
Skinner's comment about fire being our friend whether its toasting smores or raining down on charlie? i think it was in brother's little helper...

Charlie was the name given to the Vietcong amry, it's just another Skinner in Vietnam reference.

In "In Marge We Trust," what does Lovejoy mean when he says "Finally, I just stopped caring...but by then it was the 80's, and no one noticed"?

A lot of people consider the 80's a generation of greed and self-centeredness. It is widely known as the "Me Generation" where people though only of themselves with little or no concern for the world around them. I think Lovejoy's comment has to do with that.

It's a play on word on "hot and cold running water", which is usually used to indicate that someone has ultra-luxurious conveniences; even though hot and cold running water is now commonplace, the figure of speech survives. The joke suggests easy access to, well, chicks.

In I Married Marge, while Homer and Marge walk up the aisle, Marge says Homer's not as handsome as Ted Bessel, but he's just as nice. Who's Ted Bessel?

"After five years of playing uptight Donald Hollinger, the boyfriend of Marlo Thomas in her groundbreaking proto-feminist sitcom That Girl for five years, Ted Bessell as an actor was hopelessly typecast as the perennial second fiddle. This was a shame for despite the bland image he projected on the show, he was a vital, creative, talented, and passionate man who excelled at painting, music, directing, and acting. A native of Flushing, NY, Bessell was a piano prodigy and at age 12 performed a recital at Carnegie Hall. By the time he graduated from college in 1958, he had decided to become an actor and launched his career in 1961, playing an elevator operator in the feature film Lover Come Back. The following year he was cast as a college student on the series It's a Man's World. The series only lasted a season and Bessell went on to become a semi-regular on Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. in 1966, the year That Girl went into production. Though the role of Donald made Bessell a television star, the actor stated that the role "took away the heart of me." During its run, he also played small roles in a few feature films, including Don't Drink the Water (1969). Following the end of the series, Bessell starred opposite a chimpanzee in the short-lived Me and the Chimp (1972) in which he played an uptight dentist/father of two forced to contend with the tame ape his children found abandoned in a park one day. The '70s were a slow time for him -- but for a few memorable appearances as the boyfriend of Mary Tyler Moore on her proto-feminist sitcom -- and he only appeared in a couple of films. The '80s continued in a similar vein, but included two unsuccessful attempts at TV sitcoms: Good Time Harry (1980) and Hail to the Chief (1985) in which he played Patty Duke's husband. By the late '80s, Bessell had largely abandoned acting and become a television director. In 1989, he shared an Emmy for directing an episode of Fox television's Tracey Ullman. In early October 1996, Bessell had just reunited with Marlo Thomas to present at the Emmys and was discussing a That Girl reunion movie with her. He was also busy preparing to direct a feature-film version of the '60s sitcom Bewitched (produced by himself and Penny Marshall through their jointly owned Parkway Productions, which they established in 1991) when he was felled by a fatal aortal aneurysm. ~ Sandra Brennan, All Movie Guide"
ThaGrl04.JPG

Tibor said:
Ted Koppel is a late night panel discussion host.

ted koppel is the long time anchor of ABC's nightline, the first late night network news program. jesus christ, kids these days are fucking idiots.

jesus plays his hits said:

jesus christ, kids these days are f-ing idiots.

hmmm....that's a little harsh
I'm not sure, but do they run Ted Koppel's Nightline in Australia??

Last edited:
What's the deal with the title "Marge Simpson In: Screaming Yellow Honkers", and "Homer Simpson In: Kidney Trouble"? Are they parodies?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tibor said:
What's the deal with the title "Marge Simpson In: Screaming Yellow Honkers", and "Homer Simpson In: Kidney Trouble"? Are they parodies?

Most people think they are supposed to be parodies of old Merry Melodies/Looney Tunes cartoons, like if a title was, "Bugs Bunny in: 'Duck Season, Wabbit Season'," or something to that effect.

In EABF05, "Barting Over", what's up with the chalkboard gag where Bart writes "I will not" then takes out an ax and chops the board to pieces?

Does this mean the chalkboard gags are over? Because I notice EABF07 didn't have one. It could continue...

Why does Barney yell, "Go back to Russia!" after Lisa offers gazpacho to the BBQ-goers in "Lisa the Vegetarian"? Does he just assume gazpacho is a Russian food, or something?

In EABF05, "Barting Over", what's up with the chalkboard gag where Bart writes "I will not" then takes out an ax and chops the board to pieces?

I think it's supposed to be about how hard it is for the writers to come up with blackboard gags these days. So they can go as far as "I will not..." but then they hit the wall. So, the writers, as Bart, get fed up and chop up the blackboard.

ComixFan15 said:
Why does Barney yell, "Go back to Russia!" after Lisa offers gazpacho to the BBQ-goers in "Lisa the Vegetarian"? Does he just assume gazpacho is a Russian food, or something?

I think Barney assumed that Lisa was a Communist after hearing her rather persuasive plea for everyone eat her gazpacho, I could be wrong though.

ComixFan15 said:

I think it has to with that Barney associates Russian people eating ice cold soup since Russia is in economic failure.

There's a kind of Russian ice-cold soup called borscht, so I figured Barney was confusing that for gazpacho.

Gazpacho is, in fact, a Spanish soup. Barney's comment is probably just anti-Communist in a humorously misdirected way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back