Simpsons Jokes that We Don't Get

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw tonight's episode and saw that the truck of bacon was called "Johnny Bench's Pre-cooked Bacon". I know who Johnny Bench is, but is there any joke in him selling pre-cooked bacon?

in the episode where they go to australia, when OFF beats a retreat to the american embassy and jumps on a chopper, two marines are folding a flag, and they eat the flag. what is that? i guess it's just surrealism for surrealism's sake, but...?

That would be the famous painting of George Washington crossing the Delaware. Don't know the exact name for it or even the artist, but here's the painting.

washington_delaware.jpg

In "The Day The Violence Died," can someone please explain the legal terms "working on contingency" and "no money down," the opposite of the way Lionel Hutz operates.

Cauldron said:
In "The Day The Violence Died," can someone please explain the legal terms "working on contingency" and "no money down," the opposite of the way Lionel Hutz operates.

To "work on contingency" means that he doen't get paid unless you win the case. So "no money down" when you hire him.

Of course Lionel changes it so you have to pay him before the trial evens happens.

"Works on Contingency? No, Money down."

in the episode where they go to australia, when OFF beats a retreat to the american embassy and jumps on a chopper, two marines are folding a flag, and they eat the flag. what is that? i guess it's just surrealism for surrealism's sake, but...?

It's a military formality, Marine's normally take the flag down and fold it, but they ate it. No real story, just strange.

In "Alone Again Naturadidilly", when they see the carvings in the tree and then suddenly the words "Written by Ian Maxtone-Graham" appear, I don't understand that.

Dennis said:
In "Alone Again Naturadidilly", when they see the carvings in the tree and then suddenly the words "Written by Ian Maxtone-Graham" appear, I don't understand that.
I think this appered after Lisa said something along the lines of "Why do these idiots think everyone wants to see their stupid names?"
...Or am I thinking of the wrong episode?

No, you're right. Lisa's referring to the stupidity of the names being put up so big, and then the names of the writers of the episode, next in line in the opening credits, appear humongous for the punch line.

i've got one-

does any body know the origin of, or otherwise expound on, the beef between the writers and the city of new orleans? i think it started with the song from 'O Streetcar', because right after that there was the chalkboard gag about 'i will not defame the city of new orleans' or whatever, but i've seen at least one other joke directed toward n.o.
is there more to this?
by the way, i posted another reply a couple of days ago, asking about the scene in the australia episode where the marines at the embassy eat the american flag, but it was removed (?) from the thread, i think. :D :D :D

I think the pie song was a jab at Disney...It seems like in every disney movie there is, they break out into song for no reason, such as Homer did after being asked what he thought of the pie....But those are just my thoughs on it. I really am not sure.

Yeah. If I am correct in my theory, I don't think it is about a partcular song, just the fact that disney movies are always breaking into song over nothing.

I don't think it has anything to do with a Disney movie. I think it's just a joke about how on "The Simpsons," people break out into songs all the time, sometimes for no apparent reason.

I'm thinking it had something to do with Woody's popularity in Japan.

Post Classified As: That, And He Has A Funny First Name

(Beep)

He used to be a big-time director, but after his big sex scandal, he can't find decent work anymore. It's funny, because Woody Allen has been reduced to doing rice cracker commercials.

"What did I do to deserve this? Oh, right."

What does marge begin singing

Im sure this isn't strictly a joke but out of curiousity, in Bart after Dark, the Maision Derriere burlesque house (spelling no doubt wrong) What does Marge sing after the mob has sung it's song... Sounds something like Morals and ethics and ...... aronds. Please explain. :uhh:

Brooke,

I think what she sings is "Morals and ethics and carnal forbearance-" The the bulldozer crashes into the house.

I don't think it's a parody of any real song or anything like that, she's just making up her own song to compete with the fever caused by "Spring in Springfield".

MaxpowerAK79 said:
Brooke,

I think what she sings is "Morals and ethics and carnal forbearance-" The the bulldozer crashes into the house.

I don't think it's a parody of any real song or anything like that, she's just making up her own song to compete with the fever caused by "Spring in Springfield".

I always thought it sounded a little bit like a parody of the opening line of "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music, in terms of tune and rhythm (sing Marge's words in place of "raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens" -- it kind of works).

Pipian said:
What was so funny about Woody allen and japan?

I think that, in addition to being a jab at Woody and his recent troubles, it is a commentary on the fact that "big" celebrities who would never do commercials in the U.S. will do them in Japan (for BIG bucks), because those commercials won't be seen by their U.S. fans and therefore won't compromise their "A-List" status.

What's up with East St. Louis? In one episode Homer says "I'd like to plan a trip to St. Louis" and someone replies "Is that East StL?" and Homer says "Is there any other StL?"

But in another episode, I believe it is rated as the only city worse than Springfield. Therfore I'm wondering, whats going on?

Simpsonian said:
What's up with East St. Louis? In one episode Homer says "I'd like to plan a trip to St. Louis" and someone replies "Is that East StL?" and Homer says "Is there any other StL?"

But in another episode, I believe it is rated as the only city worse than Springfield. Therfore I'm wondering, whats going on?

East St. Louis is a very economically depressed area that has a lot of major problems -- thus, the joke about Springfield having climbed above ESL on the list of most-livable cities is a joke on how bad Springfield is. The other joke is just a poke at Homer -- no one who is planning a tourist trip to St. Louis would actually want to visit ESL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back