Simpsons Jokes that We Don't Get

Status
Not open for further replies.
jim said:
Heres one. In Secrets Of A Successful Marriage, when Smithers is remembering his mariage, it is black and white, and Smithers is on crutches. He speaks to his wife and drinks whiskey, then Mr Burns (in a toga) calls him from outside. I know this is from a movie, but which one?
Jim

The scene parodies both Tennessee Williams plays. The beginning of the scene where Smithers is on crutches and yells at a woman in a sexy slip is based on a scene in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". Mr. Burns yelling "Smithers" is from "A Streetcar Named Desire"

smithers-woman.gif

In Lisa the Beauty Queen, Krusty mentions something about another contestant "not doing her duties" and then says "click click" and winks his eye. Who is he referring to?

a miss america winner can lose the crown for not doing her 'duties', ie: speaking at fundraisers and such. also, if a winner appears in a magaize such as playboy she loses the crown, which has happened. Krusty was implying she took it all off for the camera with the 'click click'.

Sorry if it's been done, but this question's been bugging me for a while:
In Lisa the Iconoclast, the film says the founders of Springfield left Maryland "after misinterpreting a passage in the Bible".
Their destination: New Sodom.

Which Bible passage are they refering to?

Simpson Purist: Krusty was directly referring to Vanessa Williams, who won the Miss America crown and then lost it when nude photos of her showed up in Penthouse.

In Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming, Grampa comes onscreen on a motorcycle and yells "I'm gonna haul ass to Lollapalooza!" and the 20th Century Fox logo appears, just before the credits come on. Can anyone explain why both these events occur?

Cauldron said:
In Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming, Grampa comes onscreen on a motorcycle and yells "I'm gonna haul ass to Lollapalooza!" and the 20th Century Fox logo appears, just before the credits come on. Can anyone explain why both these events occur?

It's the same thing that Vanessa Redgrave said when Bob heard her on his fellow inmate's TV. They were playing on Bob's line about the Hollywood hack, and trying to make The Simpsons emulate normal sitcom-ish behavior.

in the very end of the episode where Moe gets a face lift (after winning the duff bartender contest) when they cut him off mid-sentance, is that making references to earlier jokes, about fading out early, and getting them "....nnnnnnnnn now!"? just curious

Moeborg said:
in the very end of the episode where Moe gets a face lift (after winning the duff bartender contest) when they cut him off mid-sentance, is that making references to earlier jokes, about fading out early, and getting them "....nnnnnnnnn now!"? just curious

They're just poking fun at themselves about how they couldn't come up with an answer to Moe's question. Many people dislike this particular joke.

I don't get this joke from Helter Shelter:

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

Marge:
'E-hehe.. my hair isn't really blue..'
'I need that tape!!'

I get she's saying she dyes her hair... but why does she freak out on the camera??

She freaked out and spontaneously said the first thing that came to her head... and I guess she forgot that the confessional was going to be aired on the show and was not confidential.

I don't understand when Homer says "Lucky for you I'm double parked"

I understand that it's supposed to be stupid, being double parked would get him another ticket, but I jsut never understood it. What does Homer mean "you're lucky?"

The whole scene:
Wiggum: Your'e under arrest slimebag, what's this punk in here for Lou?
Lou: 235 unpaid parking tickets, totalling $175.
Wiggum: I hope you brought your'e check book, wiseguy.
Homer: [gets it out his back pocket.] You lousy cops. Lucky for you I'm
double parked. [gives him check] Now, can I please have my motor boat?
I think it's because he would think the cops wouldn't be able to get him for the double-parking because they're inside the station. But he's pretty dumb for saying that. Or something like that.

In Guess Who's Coming To Criticise Dinner & Pygmoelian, "swear words" are bleeped out, but I'm pretty sure they're not swear words at all. I think "What the fudge" and "Screw you" were bleeped. Is this a reference to shows like South Park with constant bleeping?

Both of those episodes pre-date "The Osbournes", so no. I figure it's just making fun of overzealous censorship by censoring words that are, essentially, self-censored.

Originally posted by Round Springfield
I don't understand when Homer says "Lucky for you I'm double parked." I understand that it's supposed to be stupid, being double parked would get him another ticket, but I jsut never understood it. What does Homer mean "you're lucky?"

If he wasn't in a hurry because he was double parked, he would have put up a fight.

In The PTA Disbands when bart goes to the bank, and whispers that the bank is out of money, and the crowd rushes the front, who is the man that says "the money is in Bill's house, a-and Fred's house?"
does he have any special significance, like a parody of a real person?

Slappy Says: Sounds like a president to me...(dont know which one though).

(Beep)

Slappy said:
In The PTA Disbands when bart goes to the bank, and whispers that the bank is out of money, and the crowd rushes the front, who is the man that says "the money is in Bill's house, a-and Fred's house?"
does he have any special significance, like a parody of a real person?

Slappy Says: Sounds like a president to me...(dont know which one though).

(Beep)

The man is supposed to be George Baily, the character Jimmy Stewart plays in the film "It's a Wonderful Life". The line is a direct quote from a scene in the movie.

In the ending of large marge, what did homer mean when he said

"lets go eat some hot dogs."

actually i should be quoting, because im not sure if thats actually what he said. but he did say something similar. :)

PsyGuy said:
Sorry if it's been done, but this question's been bugging me for a while:
In Lisa the Iconoclast, the film says the founders of Springfield left Maryland "after misinterpreting a passage in the Bible".
Their destination: New Sodom.

Which Bible passage are they refering to?

In the Bible, Sodom is a story about people indulging in so much sinful pleasure that god gets angry and destroys the entire city by fire. The joke is that the founders of Springfield just read the "pleasure" part and wanted to start a of new Sodom.

Toxic Monkey said:
In the ending of large marge, what did homer mean when he said

"lets go eat some hot dogs."

actually i should be quoting, because im not sure if thats actually what he said. but he did say something similar. :)

Homer said he wanted to get fried chicken. Anyways, the idea was at the end of the episode Homer suggested that he'd "do more than oogle" Marge later.
The audience is meant to think that at first that Homer wanted sex...but what he really wanted food.

I just saw Sadlesore Gallactica in syndication, and at the very end when the fox logo comes up(when they sometimes insert a quote from the episode), they had comic book guy saying "worst episode ever".
I don't remember seeing that line in that episode, I thought it was from the poochie episode.
Was the line in there somewhere and I missed it, or was there some deeper meaning behind it having to do with alot of people not liking the episode?

CBG wore a Worst Episode Ever T-shirt in one scene of Saddlesore Galactica

as a sidenote, there is a conspiracy theory on ATS that Saddlesore Galactica was all a big fuck-you directed at ATS (or the internet fan community in general) because it seemed to parody everything that people on ATS complained about (and seemed to be very obvious in doing so). It's in the SNPP capsule. Im not convinced, i dont think the writers care that much...

But they knew it was a bad episode, and still made it, and commented through the episode that they had made it bad, intentionally calling it the 'worst episode ever.'

Ronaldo said:
Don't laugh I was once like you (My Sister My Sitter) What was Homer driving at with that desperate plea.

I thought it was just a silly take on the "Don't judge me because I'm different" scenario. Basically: I was once like you - not trapped by the water spouts. (???)

Homer: Marge, how did you know --
Marge: That the pants would rip?
Homer: No, what I was wondering was --
Marge: Years of buying pants for two active children and a full-seated
husband has given me a sixth sense for shoddy stitching -- which
these jeans have in spades.
- "The Springfield Connection"

Why does Marge interupt Homer/What was Homer going to ask?
I've never really got that part of this fine episode.

Edit: Was this a parody of those shows, where a case detail has to be spurted out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back