Simpsons Jokes that We Don't Get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cauldron said:
Another one (yes). What is the significance of the mysterious Rudy character from Sunday Cruddy Sunday? I'm sure I've seen him somewhere else, not on the Simpsons though.
Along with this, what is the purpose of Roy's appearance in the Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie show?

"Rudy" was a movie.

The small man not going to Miami is a play on Rudy, a small man
who, in the 1970's, played for Notre Dame's football team. Though his
football career only lasted a few minutes, he gained his popularity though
the fact that playing for Notre Dame was his life-long dream, and that he
did everything to achieve it. His story was made into a 1993 film by Tri-
Star.

Inspiring 1993 movie about a
small kid who dreams of playing football for Notre Dame all his life, and
finally, in the last game of his senior year, goes out and makes a
completely meaningless sack of the opposing quarterback. It's actually a
pretty good movie, even if it is a slight story to hang a feature film on.

Roy:
Roy is a take-off of the Fonz (Happy Days)
The premise of Roy's new show is very familiar to "Three's Company," a popular ABC comedy.

It's just a clever sight gag and a play on words. Maybe they were implying that 'Missoura' was the more hick-ish part of Missouri.

Very loose. Otto also did the same thing in The Otto Show:

Homer: This is not Happy Days, and he's not the Fonz.
Otto: Ayyyy, Mr. S!

Sorry to post another query, but the show is so intelligent/funny that I miss a lot of the bits that go flying over my head. Today I saw Kill The Alligator and Run, obviously not one of the better episodes. :(
Anyway, a lot of lines I didn't get.
"Bring on the Rapping Grandma! What? She's hilarious!" Can someone explain this?
Also, the bit where Kid Rock is talking about the 40 gallon kerb, etc.
And what does he mean by "Let's waste this bioche?"
Any help would be much appreciated.

Cauldron said:
"Bring on the Rapping Grandma! What? She's hilarious!" Can someone explain this?
Also, the bit where Kid Rock is talking about the 40 gallon kerb, etc.
And what does he mean by "Let's waste this bioche?"

Rap Gran: No referance, just a little joke the writers through in. Maybe a referance to old age rappers, or just saying that old people rapping is funny.

Bioche = Bitch. No idea on the kerb thang.

1. The Rappin' Granny was in the movie The Wedding Singer, with Adam Sandler. She's just an 80-year old lady who raps in the movie.

2. Kid Rock was apparently giving 'shoutouts' to those that have passed on. Kid Rock equates death with the spilling of a 40-oz bottle of malt liquor (a very white-trash kind of liquor) on the curb, and since he's eulogizing many deaths, he has a giant '40.'

3. The word is be-atch, or biyotch, however you spell it. It's a ghettoized version of 'bitch.'

PsycheEnFuego said:
3. The word is be-atch, or biyotch, however you spell it. It's a ghettoized version of 'bitch.'

Oh thanks, sorry. On the subtitling/closed captioned, it was spelled "bioche," G-d knows why.

Hey everyone...my first post.The question I have in one of the episodes they show a hollywood walk of fame.The Nelson Mandela walk has an Indy car or formula1 car underneath his name....what is the significance of this?

Yo! I posted a thread for this question but um .. none posted back. figures eh? Anyway in Flaming Moe's, when Homer crawls through the bar window Barney says "Hey Homer! I'd like you to meet my friends, Armondo and Ramerez" or something like that. ... I don't get it. ...

Anyway in Flaming Moe's, when Homer crawls through the bar window Barney says "Hey Homer! I'd like you to meet my friends, Armondo and Ramerez" or something like that. ... I don't get it. ...

I think it was just a gag about Moe's going from a seedy bar to a lively night spot. Instead of the usual barflies he has these two quasi-important looking people for friends. Unless there's something else there.

What I miss most is dated people/place references. The commentaries are pretty good about shedding light on those.

sherri bobbins said:
Hey everyone...my first post.The question I have in one of the episodes they show a hollywood walk of fame.The Nelson Mandela walk has an Indy car or formula1 car underneath his name....what is the significance of this?

It' just a funny bit about Nelson Mandela getting a star and then having the picture be for something as far off as possible from what he did. It's funny if you think about it Mandela in a race car:)

And The Simpsons got a TV, a Grammy and the Olympic rings (inverted, of course) on their star.

Also wanted to point out that the last person to see this thread gave it its 18,000th view. WOW.

That would have been me. It was also me who deleted a bunch of posts just now. Bickering's not tolerated anywhere on this board, least of all in a thread like this one.
And please don't post just to agree with someone or say that you don't know an answer. Post questions and/or answers or don't post at all, guys. Thanks.

Last edited:
In A Hunka Hunka, Homer holds up those rancid underpants and says, "These would stop Joan Collins herself!" I know who she is, but what is this a ref to?

Brentyn said:
In A Hunka Hunka, Homer holds up those rancid underpants and says, "These would stop Joan Collins herself!" I know who she is, but what is this a ref to?
this one's pretty straight-forward.
joan collins was (and is) an older tv actress who's played a number of morally questionable roles in several different series. from this she's developed a reputation, most likely undeserved, of sleeping with anything that moves. its a rather cheap shot, and nothing particularly deep was meant by it

Probably means since Moes has changed Barney has changed too.

Here's something I don't get from 5F17, "Lost Our Lisa". When Lisa rambles on and on about the bus, Moe hails a taxi and asks to go to the "V. D. Clinic". At least I think that's what he says. What's that mean, if I have it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back