Simpsons Jokes that We Don't Get

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't quite get a joke in Large Marge when Bart visits Krusty in the Springfield Friars Club, the establishing shot shows a truck pumping chopped liver into the building.

I don't get what this joke was in Large Marge. "Bart, remember that time I was crying at recess? I think I'm ready to tell you why."

Bart probably isn't concerned with Milhouse's feelings, and when Milhouse brings up something relating to that, Bart tries to shift gears and change the subject. That's what I got out of that bit.

Moleman...Hans said:
I don't get what this joke was in Large Marge. "Bart, remember that time I was crying at recess? I think I'm ready to tell you why."

I have a feeling that Milhouse was just about to tell Bart that he's gay.

I thought the bit w/ Milhouse was pretty funny last night.

I would also like to second the question about the "Friars Club." There's one other joke a little bit after that that I missed out on.

And yes, there are more adult related jokes in the Simpsons than you would think. That's why it appeals to so many people.

Questions and answers only, folks. This thread's long enough as is.
I think the chopped liver bit in "Large Marge" has something to do with an old saying. When someone says, for example, "I wish I had some real friends," a friend who's standing right next to that person might say, "Hey, what am I, chopped liver?"
I'm not sure how that directly relates, other than that the Friar's Club is famous for its roasts, in which a member gets to sit at the center of the stage while his friends poke fun at him in a good-natured way (see last season's "Gump Roast").

Abman51 said:

According to your posts it would suggest you were also a person who thought it was a kid's cartoon.....

No, what I meant was that I know it's not a kid's cartoon, but I didn't think they'd make jokes about anal rape either.

Simpson Purist said:
I don't quite get a joke in Large Marge when Bart visits Krusty in the Springfield Friars Club, the establishing shot shows a truck pumping chopped liver into the building.

The Friar's Club was started by what were called the "Borscht Belt Comedians" - a group of Jewish stand-up comics (all men by the way) that were popular in the 1940's, 50's and 60's. Chopped liver is a popular food with older Jewish men. The joke is that there are so many old Jewish men at the club these days that they have to constantly pump in the chopped liver from a giant truck.

Last edited:
Ottoman said:
i didnt get the 'Lets go get some fried chicken' in the ending of 'Large Marge'
The joke was that Homer said, "Oh, I think we'll be doing a lot more than ogling", which suggested that he was thinking about sex, when it turned out that he was actually really enthused about going out for fried chicken. It's just another joke to play around with what you expect to hear.

Let's just say it's the blowjob version for the anus

Don_Logan said:
When the Simpson's are at the book festival, I don't what episode, but Bart picks up a book and says something like, "Ishmail for dummies." I don't get this joke, even though I crack up everytime I see it.

hehehehe, ishmail for dummies - I'm still giggling :)

This is due to the popularity of the "... For Dummies" books by IDG Publishing. For example...
  • AOL for dummies
  • Weddings for Dummies
  • Sex For Dummies
  • Farting for Dummies

In Itchy and Scratchy Land, when Marge reluctantly agrees to go to the theme park, Bart and Lisa look at each other, and then there is a long pause, before they cheer. Why?

Probably because they were temporarily shocked that Marge had actually let them go. Either that or they were thinking over the fact that they had to promise not to embarrass her.

Cauldron said:
In Itchy and Scratchy Land, when Marge reluctantly agrees to go to the theme park, Bart and Lisa look at each other, and then there is a long pause, before they cheer. Why?

I've checked SNPP.com the very first time I saw that rather large pause and it was meant to be there.
It was probably a very bad cut and the scenes ended up merging together and looked rubbish.

I don't get this joke in #8F08

In episode 8F08, Flaming Moe's, Home sneaks into the Moe's mens' room and Barny says:
"Hey Homer, I want you to meet my friends, Armondo, and" well I forget the other name but I don't get it. Is it a joke? Please help me out!

Homer sneaks
% in the bathroom window and is surprised to see a well-dressed Barney.
% Barney introduces his friends Armondo and Ralphy.

It's just Barney's new 'weird' friends he got after Moe's went super busy and popular.

Another one (yes). What is the significance of the mysterious Rudy character from Sunday Cruddy Sunday? I'm sure I've seen him somewhere else, not on the Simpsons though.
Along with this, what is the purpose of Roy's appearance in the Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie show?

1. Rudy is based on the movie of the same name about a boy that's considered too small to play football at Notre Dame (famous American college known for its football team). The bus scene is similar to a scene in the movie. More information on the film: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0108002

2. If you think about it, Roy looks a lot like Poochie. Think about how Roy's appearance and disappearance parallels Poochie's appearance and disappearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back