Simpsons Jokes that We Don't Get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another joke I don't get. In Simpsons Bible Stories (1999), Krusty the jester jokes "I'm not saying Jezebel's easy, but before she moved to Sodom, it was known for its pottery!"

Can someone please explain this?

Allow me. Ahem.

Sodom was a city destroyed due to sexual sins, and Jezebel was so easy, everyone scored.. therefore, she doomed the place. :)

Thanks, guys.

More stuff I don't get......
In Half-Decent Proposal, after Marge's email is sent, when we see Cisco systems, why is it in such a disgraceful state?

Rumor has it that FOX had had some disputes with Cisco Systems and had asked The Simpsons to run their name through the mud a little bit.

PaintDrinkingPete said:
I can't think of anything that would parody. I think they were just trying (read: trying) to be funny. Just another stupid ending from a recent episode.
The joke started with Wiggum asking about Oz, which is funny because it's a pop culture reference and Jack is a jailbird, and then they just go off on a typical ramble.

MONORAIL ENDING, PEOPLE!

The joke is that OZ is a show about prison life and Jack is a convict and he's never seen it. It's supposed to be ironic.

I'd like state right here, that my local paper USED to publish weekly strips of the Simpsons, this on the Sunday Colour Comics.

Since then, they've dropped the Simpsons.

In the daily editions, they've also dropped such Cartoons as Garfield and Peanuts. Yet both remain on the Colours, but no Simpsons.

Thinking about cartoons that are too preachy, I do not read either For Better Or For Worse, or Cathy. Both are far more preachy than Ziggy, even Familiy Circus is less preachy then these two, but at least the dude who draws Family Circus has/had talent (I don't know if he's dead or not) compaired to the first two I mentioned.

I really enjoyed reading the Simpsons in the commics and wouldn't mind seeing its return.

Another thing I don't get.

When Homer and Flanders leave for Las Vegas (1999's Viva Ned Flanders), we see two strange people driving in the opposite direction. Actually, calling them people is stretching things a little. Can anyone explain what all this is in reference to?

Cauldron said:

When Homer and Flanders leave for Las Vegas (1999's Viva Ned Flanders), we see two strange people driving in the opposite direction. Actually, calling them people is stretching things a little. Can anyone explain what all this is in reference to?
I'll try to explain this in a little more detail so you don't have to watch the movie. In one of the first scenes of the movie Hunter S. Thompson(a journalist) and his lawyer are driving towards Las Vegas to do a story on some motorcycle race in the desert. Basically the deal is that when there driving there both of them are completely wasted on various types of drugs and they start have halucinations. Basically the entire movie they're on drugs, which is why the characters look a bit messed up.

Thanks for the tip! I'll probably check the movie out when I can be bothered. (That's a "no.")

In Wild Barts Can't Be Broken, after the children have collaborated on how to get their own back on the adults, we see a shot of them walking. Milhouse's hair is darker than normal, and seems to stick up a little. A dog walks out from the right, and winks at the camera as an iris closes in.
Anyone want to enlighten me on the idea behind this? Yes, I'm stupid. I think the real reason is probably because I'm a British viewer, and don't often get all the jokes.

There's a better explanation of the "Little Rascals" reference on the page for "Wild Barts Can't Be Broken" in TSF.

Here are a few jokes I don't get from "They Saved Lisa's Brain":

Homer tells the boudoir photographer that he doesn't mind posing nude, but "The Block Association seems to. They wanted a traditional Santa Claus." What's the Block Association?

Lisa says that the MENSA members could turn Springfield into another Athens, and Lindsey Naegle adds, "Or a Walden Two." What's Walden Two?

Cauldron said:
But here's another one I don't understand. It's not really a joke, more of an observation. At the end of 2001's Simpsons Tall Tales, over the end credits, we see still pictures of the episode, and two of the pictures were not actually in the episode. One is of Kodos and Kang from Treehouse of Horror XI. Why is that there?
Secondly, there's a picture of Babe the ox kicking Homer (Paul Bunyan) in the.....testicular area. Was this a joke put in just for the credits, or was this a real scene in the episode that somehow got cut at the last minute?

I think the Kang and Kodos thing was just put in to be funny. As for Babe kicking Paul in the crotch...well, if I recall correctly, the FOX promotional commercials for this episode featured Homer as Paul saying to Babe, "You'll be my best friend." Then Babe turns around and kicks Paul in the groin. The kick was cut from the episode when it premiered (probably for time restraints). As many Simpson fans know, this happens a lot - a scene appears in the promos but not in the episode.

What is the significance of the title of Krusty's book, "Your Shoes Are Too Big To Kickbox God"?

Robbie said:
What is the significance of the title of Krusty's book, "Your Shoes Are Too Big To Kickbox God"?

Eh, who knows? It just sounds funny. :)

I was just watching Blame It On Lisa, do those kiddie shows featuring subtle sexual themes actually exist, or is this just foreign country bashing on the writers part?

Wavy Gravy said:
Homer tells the boudoir photographer that he doesn't mind posing nude, but "The Block Association seems to. They wanted a traditional Santa Claus." What's the Block Association?
'Block Association' is just another term for 'neighborhood association.' Kinda like a neighborhood watch group.
Lisa says that the MENSA members could turn Springfield into another Athens, and Lindsey Naegle adds, "Or a Walden Two." What's Walden Two?
Walden was Henry David Thoreau's experimental dwelling where he lived to get away from typical society.

Also, about the kiddie shows: I think it might be a reference to Brazilian TV star Xuxa, who's a VERY attractive kiddie show host in Brazil. Some might remember her very short-lived American show.

Robbie said:
There's a saying, "Your arm's too short to box with God", i.e. you can't fight destiny. This is the same quote, only applied to Krusty's profession.

Simpson Purist said:
I was just watching Blame It On Lisa, do those kiddie shows featuring subtle sexual themes actually exist, or is this just foreign country bashing on the writers part?

It's an exaggeration, but the women on the kids shows on the Spanish channel here are always pretty stacked.

Cauldron said:

And it's a Terry Gilliam film (of Monty Python fame). What do you expect? ;)

Can someone explain the opening to Treehouse of Horror 12, where Burns is decorating his house. Is it a movie reference I'm missing? I'm especially confused about why the Simpsons are split into pieces when running through the gate.

Simpson Purist said:

Yes, they have these kinds of lascivious childrens' shows in Brazil, with hostesses dressed promiscuously, although The Simpsons have exaggerated it slightly.

In Bart vs. Lisa vs. 3rd Grade. The salesman asks Homer if he would be available from 8:00 to June, the scene then cuts to the installation of the sattelite dish with the title card "SEPTEMBER". Is this supposed to make fun of the lazyness of the sattelite installation people? I don't quite get this time-lapse joke.

It's a reference to the fact that those kinds of people give a huge timeframe in which they say they'll come (like 8 AM to 3 PM, for example) and still manage to show up late.

In The Trouble With Trillions, Mr. Burns has a line that is strangely poetic:

"Yes, I too feel renewed appreciation for the good old US of A. / Oppression and harrassment are a small price to pay / to live in the land of the free."

Is that a parody of a poem? Or is it just a coincidence? Like that guy named Anthony Michael Hall that stole my car stereo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back