Simpsons Jokes that We Don't Get

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr. broom

comes from circumstances
This is a thread for posting lines or Jokes in "The Simpsons" that you don't understand. Only legitimate requests for information, please, and insulting people for not getting a so-called "obvious" joke will not be tolerated. If need be, such posts will simply be deleted. This is a very useful type of thread, so there's no reason to criticize people who make use of it.

Last edited:
What was the German Light Infantry thing in "Lemon of Troy"? And what did they mean by "this is how it feels when doves cry"? Also:
  • What was the fantasy "bad babysitter" thing in "My Sister, My Sitter" a parody of?
  • In "Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment", was the Pet Shop thing a parody?

Last edited:
FlandersEVIL said:
And what did they mean by "this is how it feels when doves cry"?
I believe it is a line from a song.
FlandersEVIL said:

Also:
I don't think it is a parody of anything specific.

Thanks. I remember that song now that you mention it, it just didn't come to mind when I saw the episode.

FlandersEVIL said:
What was the German Light Infantry thing in "Lemon of Troy"?
Nelson was stating his preference for a certain type of bait for catching big fish, just like most fishing experts do, only he was stating which specific kind of plastic army man is his favorite bait.

FlandersEVIL said:
What was the fantasy "bad babysitter" thing in "My Sister, My Sitter" a parody of?

I think it was just a surrealistic "What if?" thought conjured up by Lisa 'cuz she was freaking out. I've never seen anything like it, so it is more likely to be from the hand of the Simpsons writer than anything else. I could be wrong.

FlandersEVIL said:
What was the German Light Infantry thing in "Lemon of Troy"? And what did they mean by "this is how it feels when doves cry"? Also:
  • What was the fantasy "bad babysitter" thing in "My Sister, My Sitter" a parody of?

doves cry-song by pronce(it was featured in the romeo ands juliet movie, that little black kid sang it

babysitter dream-nothin, jus lisa frwakign out

pet sotore-just a parody of speak easies, bars that woudl disguise them selves as other stores so peopl coudl still gut piss drunk durign the time of prohibtion

Hey I was just wondering you know that show that they sometimes show on The Simpsons, Gentle Ben, is that a parody of a show or something else?

Worst Poster Ever said:
Hey I was just wondering you know that show that they sometimes show on The Simpsons, Gentle Ben, is that a parody of a show or something else?

I just found this out tonight, ironically. Gentle Ben is a parody of a TV show of the same name, where a kid is friends with a bear.

Last edited:
Worst Poster Ever said:

yes, gentle ben was an actual show in the late 60s i beleive. This half-hour adventure show was another nature-themed effort from Ivan Tors, producer of Daktari and Flipper. Young Clint Howard (brother of The Andy Griffith Show's Opie, Ron Howard) starred as Mark Wedloe, a little boy who lived in the Florida Everglades with his mother Ellen and his wildlife officer father, Tom. There weren’t too many kids in the nearby swamp area for Mark to play with, but he did have one notable non-family friend: Ben. This friend happened to be a tame, 650-lb. black bear.

Worst Poster Ever said:
Thanks Duffman, your not so bad. Just glad you didnt insult my stupidity lol

Oh and you to NoOneFamous...didnt see your post afterwards

i didnt insult yer stupidity cuz it was a valid question. im not as mean as msot people on this board think i am. i jus didnt like that OBVIOUS questions. urs was valid, im sure youre not 30+ years old so theres no way you woudlve know about gentle ben.

note to self: I ROCK

In the Crepes of Wrath , Principle Skinner tells Homer that they will be adapting an Albanian kid. Homer asks: All white with pink eyes?

What is he refering to ?

In Tales from the Public Domain, in the Hamlet Story I Believe, Homer is a ghost and leaves slime on the wall ala Slimer from Ghostbusters when he passes through them. Then at the end of the episode they due that Ghostbusters dance. Is that suppose to be some sort of connection>

I have a question, and I'm not sure if its been asked before, so if it has, sorry.

In "Fear of Flying", when Marge is cured, she walks out of the office, she says something like "Thank you doctor! Whenever I hear the wind, it'll whisper "Lowenstein! Lowenstein!"
Doctor: My name is ______ (forgot her name)
Marge: (whispering) "Lowenstein! Lowenstein!"

What does this mean?

NoOneFamous said:
I have a question, and I'm not sure if its been asked before, so if it has, sorry.

In "Fear of Flying", when Marge is cured, she walks out of the office, she says something like "Thank you doctor! Whenever I hear the wind, it'll whisper "Lowenstein! Lowenstein!"
Doctor: My name is ______ (forgot her name)
Marge: (whispering) "Lowenstein! Lowenstein!"

What does this mean?
+ "Prince of Tides" {kp}
- Barbara Streisand plays a psychiatrist called Lowenstein
From good ol' snpp
The doctors real name was Zweig

BlindPsychic said:

+ "Prince of Tides" {kp}
- Barbara Streisand plays a psychiatrist called Lowenstein
From good ol' snpp
The doctors real name was Zweig

Oooh, ok. I've never seen Prince of Tides. Thanks

Joshman said:
In Tales from the Public Domain, in the Hamlet Story I Believe, Homer is a ghost and leaves slime on the wall ala Slimer from Ghostbusters when he passes through them. Then at the end of the episode they due that Ghostbusters dance. Is that suppose to be some sort of connection>
I don't think they're directly connected to one another, but they're both "Ghostbusters" references.

Worst Poster Ever said:

HAHAHAHA, i was watchign tv and i jus saw a commercial for Gentle Ben:The movie!!!! its some animal planet original movie. dean cain(aka superman) is in it.

Centrum Addict said:
In Life in the Fast Lane, Jacques tells Marge that the 8th lane or line is the cop line or lane. What does this mean?

well, the entire line goes liek this:

jaques:I bet you don't know how to make a 5-7-10 split do you Marge?
Marge: No
jaques: well first of all you yell "The eight pin is a cop!"

i think what it means is hes making a joke about the 5th, 7th, and 10th pins are criminals, when u scream the 8 pin is a cop theyd run as to not get caught

i don't get how homer thinks ballet is a bear riding a little car to circus music in "marge on the lam"

IN the george bush episode, the russian guy has a red splotch on his head... What the hell is that?

Aaron Is Cool said:
IN the george bush episode, the russian guy has a red splotch on his head... What the hell is that?

that is mikhail gorbachav(sp?) he is some soviet leader with a huge birth mark on his had that hes well known and oft made fun of for.

In "The city of new york vs. homer" Marge says "of course you'll have a bad impression of new york if you only focus on the pimps and the Chuds," I get the pimp part, but what is a chud?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back