Simpsons Comics Thread

I'm relieved that the TPBs will continue, and should probably start catching up. I think the next one I need to get is "Simpsons Comics Confidential".

Anybody here have a link to a good resource for a list of all the TPBs for Simpsons Comics?

The Simpsons Archive stopped updating as have Simpsons Wiki.

I don't know isn't the wiki run by fans?

Anyone know why Bongo Comics decided to stop publishing Simpsons Comics? I found out this morning on My Comic Shop.com that #245 will be the last issue!!!!

Also: anyone know when THOH will come out?

Also: anyone know when THOH will come out?
There won't be a THOH comic this year...or, presumably, in any future years. It would have been published in September.

And it's not just the Simpsons comics they're stopping; the SpongeBob SquarePants comics are "on an extended break," which I have a feeling means, "We (or Nickelodeon) are looking for someone else to publish it."

A review of #245 I found on Comic Vine:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/simpsons-comics-245/4000-689093/user-reviews/2200-48661/

Puncuated mostly as written, except changing one italization to bold and not bothering with title italization:

After 245 issues and 25 years, The Simpsons Comics has come to an end.

Published non-stop by Bongo Comics (named after the one-eared rabbit Matt Groening created before The Simpsons, as part of his Life in Hell series), it is one of the very few long-running series to reach into the triple digits (that hasn't been rebooted endlessly!)—quite an accomplishment for an independent company. The series has run somewhat parallel to the TV series, but with its own creative team and stories.

Throughout its run, several creators have lent their talents to the comic: Evan Dorkin (Milk & Cheese), Mike Kazaleh (The Adventures of Captain Jack), Andrew Pepoy (Afterlife with Archie), and Scott Shaw! (The Flintstones).

In this final issue we have Nathan Kane on writing, Rex Lindsey on pencils, Andrew Pepoy on Inks, Art Villanueva on colors, Karen Bates on letters, and Jason Ho on the cover.

The final story (titled, Bye, Bye Bunny) is funny, weird, well-drawn, meta, wth [sic], and bittersweet.

Homer bursts into the family's home proclaiming "So long stink town! Pack your bags, the Simpsons are outta here!" As usual, the story doesn't quite flow how you'd think. A new family pet is bought, Comic Book Guy makes an appearance, Millhouse posts to social media, Mr. Burns schemes, and Bart uses a slingshot. The ending is absurd fun.

The writing feels like a Simpsons episode, and so does the art. I'm more of a Classic Simpsons fan, but I appreciated the comic version: the character were on-model, with subtle cell shading and interesting linework. Panel layout was non-obtrusive but a bit pedestrian (a few epic battle shots livened things up); mise en scène was done well and helped the story flow.

At the beginning of the book we see art mailed in by young fans; and at the end of the book Kane bids a farewell to the readers. But, what's this? He notes that The Simpsons will begin a hiatus! So does that mean more Simpsons comics will be published? At the very least, yes, in terms of collections. As for new stories? Who knows.

Until then, we have 245 back issues to obsess over.

I

Sadly, I found out last night while streaming Youtube.

HOMER: (Sadly) D'oh.

BURNS: Yes...you're in deep do'h now.

BONGO COMICS 1993-2018

I've only just noticed they've included both the old and new Bongo logos on the cover of #245. A nice little touch.

I just picked up my copy today. And well what mass cameos? the only one I recognized was Dr Olberman, who hasn't really been seen since the issue with the sinful sinkers. It was mostly a callback to the first comic and oh yeah the pet rabbit has one ear, kind of makes me wish they would have brought back Bill Morrison just for this issue

so how long until this issue shows up in a colossal compendium, even if it was in Volume 7 I'm not donating it mostly because I now consider this a collector's item, also why isn't volume 7 listed on the harper collins site yet?

Last edited:
I've never actually bought any of The Simpsons comics (or not what I can recall anyway) however I would love to get some though knowing there's 245 comics and they're probably quite expensive now for the back catalogue it's probably best that I don't haha.

Not really, you can get the old issues for less than $5, sometimes around $3 for Fine quality, at MyComicShop.com.

I've never actually bought any of The Simpsons comics (or not what I can recall anyway) however I would love to get some though knowing there's 245 comics and they're probably quite expensive now for the back catalogue it's probably best that I don't haha.

I rely on the twice a year charity book markets and a local comic shop closest to my house if I strike out at the book markets

even though the final issue will probably end up in the colossal compendium but I'm going to keep it anyway

Yeah, I bet it would be good to have the full collection, I'd keep them in folders or something to keep them new :)

That page has now been updated through the upcoming two releases (although I didn't include Colossal Compendium 7, as I couldn't find a cover page for it yet, or any of the Simpsons Comics Explosion issues as Amazon doesn't have all of them - they might be considered comic books rather than paperbacks).

This is great! Thank you, much appreciated. No other list online gave the included issues and latest TPBs. Looks like I'm 8 books behind, though I don't have any of the Colossal Compendiums and I suspect they will work in conjunction with the main TPBs to rerelease the entire series.

I picked up the final issue for old times' sake, as I read these comics all the time as a kid. Thought it was really cute.

okay we have some info on compendium number 7

The Simpsons are living large and in charge with the most explosive colossal yet! sounds like they're going back to the 100s unless there was more than one issue where Lisa goes to Karma-Con

Bart goes to work on the railroad; Homer stretches the boundaries of his mind and tries to color inside the lines; Lisa feels the good vibrations when Karma-Con comes to town; Grampa Simpson tells it like it is, was, or might have been; Pieman and Bartman take on both friends and foes alike; and to top it off, the Springfield Bear Patrol returns in their final and furriest adventure! And don’t go ballistic while trying to build your very own Herman’s Military Antiques store.

okay we have some info on compendium number 7

The Simpsons are living large and in charge with the most explosive colossal yet! sounds like they're going back to the 100s unless there was more than one issue where Lisa goes to Karma-Con
Nothing new about that; Compendium 4 has Homer Simpson: Canine Decoder from issue 194.

But was there more than one "railroad" story? "Railroaded" was in Summer Shindig #7 - but it was also reprinted in Bart Simpson Bust-Up, and none of the previous six Colossal Compendiums have stories that were also in an earlier paperback (not counting Simpsons Illustrated issues).

I noticed that the final Simpsons Comics calls it a hiatus. Makes me wonder if they are looking for a company like IDW or something to continue the comics?

I noticed that the final Simpsons Comics calls it a hiatus. Makes me wonder if they are looking for a company like IDW or something to continue the comics?
I have a feeling that it's one of four things:
1. An inside joke of some sort
2. Wishful thinking
3. They're still publishing the paperbacks, and the Colossal Compendiums include new material (the buildings at the end of each book); maybe it's referring to that
4. Does anybody on the staff also work on SpongeBob Comics? I can see that being picked up by someone else.

Simpsons Comics are still a viable product, I think the problem is they are not viable enough to warrant an entire publisher devoted to them. A company like IDW would be a great fit for the brand.

Hey guys

I don’t know if this is the right place to post/ask this but you seem like you’d know and I’m pretty desperate

My brother and I love the Simpsons and he has one memory of reading a Simpsons comic and in it Bart and Mulhouse are in another country and they need help so Mulhouse speaks to some locals and in doing so he accidentally asks for a cup of squirrels

I’m desperately seeking the issue/series number of this copy of the Simpsons comic so I can seek it out online and get it to my brother for his birthday

We haven’t always been close but the Simpsons is everything to me and him
Any help would be amazing and I’m so sorry if I derailed anything

Thanks xxxx

I believe its this one:

You can find it in Simpsons Comics Wingding, along with other issues.

That's terrible. Batton Lash's name meant quality whenever I saw it in Simpsons Comics. Might reread some of his stuff tonight.

well I got my copy of show stopper, now to wait a few months to find info on the next collection (and it could mean a HUGE donation of comics from me for the charity book market next year), I'm glad I finally got to see Brand New Burns part 2 that was quite a twist, it seems the devil with the spotlight is a running gag since this has shown up three times

About 2 years ago I found the first simpsons trade paperback in a box of my old comics.. I remember buying it in 95/96.. I also found a few other comics from #25 to #28. I was overjoyed by that discovery and really enjoyed reading through the comics once again after all those years.

So I started buying the Trade Paperbacks, the last one I got was Simpsons Comics Wingdings, instead of 4 comics they include 5 but the total page number is still less than the previous ones, it seems that in that short run of comics they only had one major story and no B Story, that was a little disappointing as I enjoy the B stories a lot. Another disappointment is the lack of fake ads that are present in a few other comics.. the only issue in that Wingdings paperback that has a B story is the last one, #23..

I'm not sure if I will keep buying comics, I don't know if there's a sudden drop in the quality at some point, I'm not too eager on finding that out on my own.

I find the first 70 or so issues to be the best of the bunch. Once it hits the mid-100s there's a definite decline in quality, and by the end of the run they were pretty childish stories.

So I started buying the Trade Paperbacks, the last one I got was Simpsons Comics Wingdings, instead of 4 comics they include 5 but the total page number is still less than the previous ones, it seems that in that short run of comics they only had one major story and no B Story

#19 through #22 did have back-up stories, however they were for Bill Morrison's "Roswell" character and weren't Simpsons-related, hence why they aren't reprinted in Wing Ding (they're reprinted in the Roswell Walks Among Us paperback).

I find the first 70 or so issues to be the best of the bunch. Once it hits the mid-100s there's a definite decline in quality, and by the end of the run they were pretty childish stories.
That may have been intentional. Notice that some of the issues in the 200s are no longer one story per issue; this mimicks the "multiple shorter stories" format used in Bart Simpson Comics, which was done that way to target younger readers that might not have the attention span to get through a full-length story.

Back