Should Itchy & Scratchy get their own TV show?

Itchy

Homicidal blue mouse
Should the homicadal duo get their own animated series?
If they made the show a bit less violent, it might work.
But look at todays standard in cartoon shows; Pokemon, South Park and all the others. Would you call them unviolent? No.
Cartoon violence is what sells most! So do you agree? Should Itchy & Scratchy get their own animated tv series? If so, how would pepole react? :marge:

Someone suggested this once, and said it would be great as a half-hour thing. I asked them to suggest a plot that could last 22 minutes, and they strangely didn't reply ;).

I&S are best suited to fast shorts in the Simpsons with little-to-no plot; even if you make the shorts 5 minutes long, that needs some sort of a plot, which is one thing I&S can't do.

The Skoot said:
Someone suggested this once, and said it would be great as a half-hour thing. I asked them to suggest a plot that could last 22 minutes, and they strangely didn't reply ;).
No wonder! Having a 22 min plot based on Itchy torturing Scratchy would be boring and wouldn't be as making the episodes as shorts just like on The Simpsons. It would be cool if they had their own show though...

Moodi said:
It would be cool if they had their own show though...
no, it would most definitly not, it wouold ruin both the simpsons(since I&S was on it) and itchy and scratchy themselves. It wouldn't work with all the shows on today anyway, and for a 22 minute show, No way, jose. Worst Idea Ever.

As others have said, I & S are meant for violent bursts of nothingness. It would become boring and repetitive after 20 minutes......but, a 30 minute show of 20 Itchy & Scratchys would be fun.

It'd absolutely rule if they put all the I&S episodes on DVD together. There are quite a few by now and they don't seem to want to make any more appearances for the two on the show these days (a deplorable but unsurprising trend in these mediocre days).

I think the DVD with all Itchy & Scratchy shorts idea is excellent. It should wait until the Simpsons' run is over though. Don't get angry at me! It's gonna happen someday! But hopefully not soon...

It is possible to come up with 22 minutes of material for an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon. They should model it after the Tom and Jerry episodes by just doing three different short stories instead of one long episode. Speaking of tom and Jerry, what ever happened to them?
And don't say that there couldn't be enough material, because thats probably what people said about the simpsons when they were on Tracy Ullman.

Richiewhiteboy said:
It is possible to come up with 22 minutes of material for an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon. They should model it after the Tom and Jerry episodes by just doing three different short stories instead of one long episode. Speaking of tom and Jerry, what ever happened to them?
And don't say that there couldn't be enough material, because thats probably what people said about the simpsons when they were on Tracy Ullman.
Not true. On Ullman, you could see that The Simpsons had room to expand into a series. How do you do more than a couple minutes of I&S? They're two characters, one of whom always kills the other. That's not story. Even a five-minute 'toon needs real story, and I&S don't have it. In fact, I'll go so far as to say they shouldn't. It's too simple a premise, something that works best when it's thirty seconds or less. There's not really any conflict resolution and rarely more than a few words of dialogue (if any). It's perfect as it is. Make it a series and it'll be crap compared to Tom & Jerry, which had real situations (because Jerry never up and killed Tom just because he wanted to, or at all).

Why shouldn't Itchy & Scratchy get their own show? Each short dosen't have to be more than 10 min long. It worked for Ren and Stimpy, it should work for Itchy & Scratchy

Mr. Broom said:

Not true. On Ullman, you could see that The Simpsons had room to expand into a series. How do you do more than a couple minutes of I&S? They're two characters, one of whom always kills the other. That's not story. Even a five-minute 'toon needs real story, and I&S don't have it. In fact, I'll go so far as to say they shouldn't. It's too simple a premise, something that works best when it's thirty seconds or less. There's not really any conflict resolution and rarely more than a few words of dialogue (if any). It's perfect as it is. Make it a series and it'll be crap compared to Tom & Jerry, which had real situations (because Jerry never up and killed Tom just because he wanted to, or at all).

Yeah, all that is true. I & S was cooked up by the writers to satirize violence in cartoons but Simpsons audiences caught on to the violent gags. If there was a spin-off, then it would probably do well from attracting all the simpsons fans, but would undoubtedly have littel to offer. I would not like to see I and S become a spin-off. I was just saying that with all the crap the writers have been coming up with recently, they would definitely be able to fill 22 minutes of I and S.

I would like to a show based on short cartoons based on Groening.
'Life Is Hell' hosted by Akbar and Jeff. It could include shorts by the Rabbits, I&S, a few new things, a Futurama spinoff, classic cartoons of Old I&S with Disgruntled Goat, Ku Klux Clam, etc...

And they could animate a musical act each time.

Yeah that might be cool for one episode, until they start running out of ideas and resort to gimmicky premises and guest stars.

Itchy said:
Why shouldn't Itchy & Scratchy get their own show? Each short dosen't have to be more than 10 min long. It worked for Ren and Stimpy, it should work for Itchy & Scratchy

OK then, give me 3 10 minute plots that are interesting for the entire 10 minutes and keep up the level of gore I&S have at the moment throughout, without outright killing Scratchy until the end of course ;).

Now, that would be a great idea. But right now, I wouldn't have the current writers on the simpsons write me a postcard. Any spinoff should have writers with talent and wit. Otherwise, it's nice. Unfortunately, Krusty's character has been explored a lot, so much so that getting new ideas that haven't been covered before will be a little tough, though not impossible.

ryan_the_canuck said:
How about creating a Krusty the Klown show, and putting I&S on that?

This has been thought of, as a live action show. I'm pretty sure it was going to be Dan. It broke down though, for reasons I can't remember.

IMHO, the only Simpsons spin-off should be the one they were talking about earlier this year which would focus on a different Springfield character each week, and not neccasarily have the Simpsons in it. Man that would've ruled. Shame it probably won;t happen.

The Skoot said:
OK then, give me 3 10 minute plots that are interesting for the entire 10 minutes and keep up the level of gore I&S have at the moment throughout, without outright killing Scratchy until the end of course ;).

No, don't tell him to do that! You're talking to a person who has sent over 100 Itchy & Scratchy plot ideas to me through NoHomers.net! :lol:

Number One said:

No, don't tell him to do that! You're talking to a person who has sent over 100 Itchy & Scratchy plot ideas to me through NoHomers.net! :lol:

eep :P.

I'll be happy if they just put I&S back on "The Simpsons". When was the last I&S episode? A long time ago. Beyond that, I don't want anything else from I&S. They're a plot device usually intended to emphasize the episode's main story or comment on it. Not everything on the Simpsons can stand alone; in fact, I'll go so far as to say that most of it can't. Making secondary characters the focus of a series rarely works.

Spin offs are bad, bad ideas. If they made a Simpsons spin off, they would become what they previously ridiculed... they had an entire episode making fun of spin offs..

ryan_the_canuck said:
It worked for 'Cheers'. ('Frasier' was the spinoff)
Note that I said 'rarely'. That's one. Name others. Not many. In all of TVdom, less than you could count on one hand that were successful. Besides, why give I&S their own show? Really, why?

6.gif

It will be a good idea to note that the only reason why OFF get's away with Itchy & Scratchy is because the segments are so short. TV censors won't be too happy with the graphic cartoon violence if it makes up even 50% of the show, not to talk of a whole show featuring Itchy finding some new way to decapitate and destroy Scratchy.

Hence, if it is going to be made, it may have to be on cable.

Right now I'd just like to see more shorts on the series. Out of 21 episodes last season, they had, what, two appearances from I and S? If the writers could just get their heads together and break their focus on Homer, maybe we could finally see some more of our favorite cat and mouse team.

Back