Season 34 Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of like the idea of Bart and Lisa capitalizing on Abe's absence from the nursing home to play stepfather to throw a crazed slumber party that gets completely out of hand. Sets up some amusing scenarios with them trying to mask the festivities from Jasper, the other residents and the staff while chaos erupts from a bunch of over-caffeinated kids on a sugar high. A combo of Vebber writing and Selman / Omine running can only lead to good things.

Step Brother From The Same Planet is an episode that I'm personally excited about because... Not exactly because I had a step-brother but a half-sister and I relate a lot to that part of the synopsis about Homer's feelings of anger and repression against his father. Add to it what is a script by Vebber (who has not failed me yet and I have yet to see a script by him that I don't like) and a collaboration by the Selman-Omine tandem, I hope they mean good things. I also like the idea of the subplot and I always like when they give the family something to do and I love when they show Bart and Lisa behaving like kids their age, consider me very excited about this.

--The Simpsons - (8:00-8:31 PM ET/PT) CC-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

HOMER IS JEALOUS OF HIS NEW STEPBROTHER ON AN ALL-NEW THE SIMPSONS SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 20, ON FOX

Melissa McCarthy (Nine Perfect Strangers) and Carol Kane (Hunters) Make Guest Voice Appearances

Homer is stunned by his feelings of rage and resentment when Grampa becomes a doting stepfather to his girlfriend's quirky young son. Lisa and Bart throw the ultimate slumber party in the all-new "Step Brother from the Same Planet" episode of The Simpsons airing Sunday, Nov. 20 (8:00-8:31 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3322) (TV-PG L,V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders

I don't need to add the guest stars under this, since we already know who they are anyway

Whoa, 'Step Brother From The Same Planet' actually sound really intriguing. I think the idea of Homer getting a step brother is a really neat premise that could lend itself to a lot of good stuff, but that with Homer also getting upset and bitter at Grampa for showering the step brother with attention is also quite interesting (Oh, and the subplot with Bart & Lisa having a slumber party sounds like a super fun subplot, hopefully tying well into the main plot), plus it looks all the more eyecatching due to Selman, Omine & Vebber handling it.

Just noticed: Carol Kayne is now a guest star with the longest gap between episodes - 32 years. She was uncredited as Maggie in «Bart vs. Thanksgiving»
Is there a source for this? It always sounded like Yeardley to me. Also, it's Kane, not Kayne.

There was a Treehouse of Horror table read couple weeks ago. Which means the production code for Treehouse of Horror XXXIV will actually be OABF17, so... I guess this also means that we'll be getting an another Selman-showrun Treehouse of Horror episode again next year, with Brian Kelley who will be the co-runner for THOH XXXIV next year as well, which could be very interesting

I thought Homer’s step brother would be… a bit older

Also, without Michael Price needing to confirm (he hasn’t anyway) of course this is OABF17, unless there’s been 3 weeks without table reads this whole time. OABF19, which we know Al Jean is show running, had the table read either today or next Thursday 11/3 likely

Also, without Michael Price needing to confirm (he hasn’t anyway) of course this is OABF17, unless there’s been 3 weeks without table reads this whole time. OABF19, which we know Al Jean is show running, had the table read either today or next Thursday 11/3 likely
Coincidentally, PABF17 was also a Treehouse of Horror episode 10 years ago, which we already knew that though. Then again, we also already know for a fact that the letter 'O' comes before the letter 'P'

Last edited:
And actually, according to Matt Selman's recent podcast interview from last week, Linda Belcher will get to appear in the Simpsonsworld segment (you'll hear that in the 40:10 point when you listen to the podcast inside this link down below)

Last edited:
And it's written by Elisabeth Kiernan Averick, I think the production code for 'It's A Blunderful Life', I think the production code for that is OABF19 by the way

Last edited:
And it's written by Elisabeth Kiernan Averick, I think the production code for 'It's A Blunderful Life' would most likely be OABF19
It is, there’s just a blank space on top of the script where the full production code should be

Also, two new episodes have been announced for us now 🙂

I thought Homer’s step brother would be… a bit older

I thought the same. Now, it seems the step brother is likely raised by his granny.
This episode could have potential. Up until there, the only 34 plots i liked a bit were Hacked one and It Parody (due to alternative universe) episodes.

It is a little strange that according to the description and images, the titular step brother in 'Step Brother From The Same Planet' is a child (the quirky young son) while his described mother is an old woman (whom gets together with Abe/Grampa). I'm guessing that he's really her grandson (I wonder how they'll explain it otherwise).

Last edited:
I am more interested, why Calvin is "quirkly"? From images he looks ok (stupid saying: I really had thought "quirkly" applies to look like someway ugly or what😅), and acts as he should (act his age). His (grand)mother could be more related to the "quirkly" (non-traditional medicine, hippie etc.).

I don't want to say much until preview, but I also looking forward to the episode.

I am more interested, why Calvin is "quirkly"? From images he looks ok (stupid saying: I really had thought "quirkly" applies to look like someway ugly or what😅), and acts as he should (act his age). His (grand)mother could be more related to the "quirkly" (non-traditional medicine, hippie etc.).

I'm intrigued as well as he does seem like a normal kid, but yeah, we'll see once we get to that episode.

By the way, it is quirky, not quirkly. The latter was just a misspelling.

Last edited:
If anything, I hope Homer doesn't get disowned by Grampa, like we certainly wouldn't want that happen 😟

Sorry for the double post, but here's more additional information for THOH XXXIII

Apparently we'll get to see Kang and Kodos again in the opening segment

"Omine said of her four Season 34 episodes, "Treehouse" demanded the majority of her attention."

Damn, I'm the only one to blame if this disappoints. But seriously, I'll be crushed if this fails, I fully trust Omine isn't over-hyping this episode.

Last edited:
I mean, good or not it has to be hyped a little. Like it's kind of a necessity when it's an uphill battle to get people to watch...

The wraparound segment that introduces the three "Treehouse" segments also was a new animation challenge.

In that, aliens Kang and Kodos are reading from a live-action book. Omine said stop-animation was used to move the book, and the aliens' tentacles, frame by frame.

The Chiodo Brothers joined The Simpsons' Mike B. Anderson and Tom Klein for the book sequence.

"That tentacle is a little foam thing that they just bent," Omine said. "I wrote all the text, so there's actually a little extra story there for people if you go back and freeze frame and read what's in the book."

The most traditional segment of "Trehouse" for Omine was a satire of The Babadook called "The Pooka Dook." Marge reads to Maggie from a spooky pop-up book modeled after The Babadook.

"I wanted to be even more elaborate," Omine said. "It's less scary the first time you see the Pooka Dook and then when the book comes back it's much scarier."

The Simpsons ultimately hired the Korean studio DR Movie to animate the "Death Tome" segment. Omine combined the looks of existing anime characters to approximate what Homer, Lisa and others would look like in anime.

For example, "Our characters blink much more often," Omine told UPI in a recent Zoom interview.

A Westworld spoof turns The Simpsons into robot hosts in a theme park based on the series. The segment opens with a scene from the classic episode "Marge Vs. the Monorail," which was animated in standard definition in 1993.

Now, high definition characters interact with the monorail episode, but Omine changed the original scene from night to daytime to fit the "Simpsons World" story.

"The establishing shot of the monorail is a shot from the [original] show," Omine said.

Like in Westworld, the Homer host realizes he is a robot. Homer wakes robot versions of Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie to escape Simpsons World.

Their escape takes the Simpsons through robotic recreations of past episodes. Like Westworld, this also presents the Simpsons with an existential crisis.

"How would the characters feel if they woke up and realized they were part of this giant franchise?" Omine said.

"Once we started storyboarding it, then Matt would go, 'More,'" Omine said. "We'd come up with lists and lists and lists. Then he'd still say, 'More.'"

Scenes expanded to include more and more references to past episodes. For example, Homer picks one of many Lisa robots, each dressed in a different outfit, from one of Lisa's past episodes.

"When they actually lay it out, [animators] go, 'Oh, actually, we need more Lisas,'" Omine said. "So then you just start racking your brain. How many other Lisas are there? Are they recognizable?"

One difference between "Simpsons World" and Westworld is that the Simpsons robots are not anatomically correct

"People are not going into the park and abusing these robots in that way," Omine said.

Well, that last part's a good thing...

Still wishing now it was more about all the previous THOH's and not just classic-Simpsons referencing. Might even be funny to see some victims from an earlier segment on the same ep wheeled in for repairs or something. Or having a cast made up of post-"death" characters like a boneless Martin or the melted Count Burns but somehow still alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back