Season 34 Information Thread

CousinMerl

too legit to quit
It is a little strange that according to the description and images, the titular step brother in 'Step Brother From The Same Planet' is a child (the quirky young son) while his described mother is an old woman (whom gets together with Abe/Grampa). I'm guessing that he's really her grandson (I wonder how they'll explain it otherwise).

Last edited:

Bohdan

СЛАВА УКРАЇНІ!!! ГЕРОЯМ СЛАВА!!!
I am more interested, why Calvin is "quirkly"? From images he looks ok (stupid saying: I really had thought "quirkly" applies to look like someway ugly or what😅), and acts as he should (act his age). His (grand)mother could be more related to the "quirkly" (non-traditional medicine, hippie etc.).

I don't want to say much until preview, but I also looking forward to the episode.

CousinMerl

too legit to quit
I am more interested, why Calvin is "quirkly"? From images he looks ok (stupid saying: I really had thought "quirkly" applies to look like someway ugly or what😅), and acts as he should (act his age). His (grand)mother could be more related to the "quirkly" (non-traditional medicine, hippie etc.).

I'm intrigued as well as he does seem like a normal kid, but yeah, we'll see once we get to that episode.

By the way, it is quirky, not quirkly. The latter was just a misspelling.

Last edited:

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
If anything, I hope Homer doesn't get disowned by Grampa, like we certainly wouldn't want that happen 😟

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
Sorry for the double post, but here's more additional information for THOH XXXIII

Apparently we'll get to see Kang and Kodos again in the opening segment

Sandboy

Junior Camper
"Omine said of her four Season 34 episodes, "Treehouse" demanded the majority of her attention."

Damn, I'm the only one to blame if this disappoints. But seriously, I'll be crushed if this fails, I fully trust Omine isn't over-hyping this episode.

Last edited:

Venomrabbit

Doesn't have a soul
I mean, good or not it has to be hyped a little. Like it's kind of a necessity when it's an uphill battle to get people to watch...

Bohdan

The wraparound segment that introduces the three "Treehouse" segments also was a new animation challenge.

In that, aliens Kang and Kodos are reading from a live-action book. Omine said stop-animation was used to move the book, and the aliens' tentacles, frame by frame.

The Chiodo Brothers joined The Simpsons' Mike B. Anderson and Tom Klein for the book sequence.

"That tentacle is a little foam thing that they just bent," Omine said. "I wrote all the text, so there's actually a little extra story there for people if you go back and freeze frame and read what's in the book."

The most traditional segment of "Trehouse" for Omine was a satire of The Babadook called "The Pooka Dook." Marge reads to Maggie from a spooky pop-up book modeled after The Babadook.

"I wanted to be even more elaborate," Omine said. "It's less scary the first time you see the Pooka Dook and then when the book comes back it's much scarier."

The Simpsons ultimately hired the Korean studio DR Movie to animate the "Death Tome" segment. Omine combined the looks of existing anime characters to approximate what Homer, Lisa and others would look like in anime.

For example, "Our characters blink much more often," Omine told UPI in a recent Zoom interview.

A Westworld spoof turns The Simpsons into robot hosts in a theme park based on the series. The segment opens with a scene from the classic episode "Marge Vs. the Monorail," which was animated in standard definition in 1993.

Now, high definition characters interact with the monorail episode, but Omine changed the original scene from night to daytime to fit the "Simpsons World" story.

"The establishing shot of the monorail is a shot from the [original] show," Omine said.

Like in Westworld, the Homer host realizes he is a robot. Homer wakes robot versions of Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie to escape Simpsons World.

Their escape takes the Simpsons through robotic recreations of past episodes. Like Westworld, this also presents the Simpsons with an existential crisis.

"How would the characters feel if they woke up and realized they were part of this giant franchise?" Omine said.

"Once we started storyboarding it, then Matt would go, 'More,'" Omine said. "We'd come up with lists and lists and lists. Then he'd still say, 'More.'"

Scenes expanded to include more and more references to past episodes. For example, Homer picks one of many Lisa robots, each dressed in a different outfit, from one of Lisa's past episodes.

"When they actually lay it out, [animators] go, 'Oh, actually, we need more Lisas,'" Omine said. "So then you just start racking your brain. How many other Lisas are there? Are they recognizable?"

One difference between "Simpsons World" and Westworld is that the Simpsons robots are not anatomically correct

"People are not going into the park and abusing these robots in that way," Omine said.

Venomrabbit

Doesn't have a soul
Well, that last part's a good thing...

Still wishing now it was more about all the previous THOH's and not just classic-Simpsons referencing. Might even be funny to see some victims from an earlier segment on the same ep wheeled in for repairs or something. Or having a cast made up of post-"death" characters like a boneless Martin or the melted Count Burns but somehow still alive.

FanofSimpsons

Pin Pal
Heads up! Here's another promo video for THOH XXXIII

Now I’m starting to think that Linda Blecher appears near the end of the “Simpsonsworld” segment, judging by the fact that Lisa says “I think we’re free” probably after the sacred rule of the characters not knowing they aren’t real having been broken

Also, for anyone here that watches Bob’s Burgers, look closely at the background of where the family is sitting at. I’m pretty sure it’s going to look familiar 😉 (11 to 14 seconds in)

FanofSimpsons

Pin Pal
I know it's my fault for looking but this is like the third time this season that a fox promo spoil an ending. That's just awful marketing
Very true, like why can’t they just let us see what happens in the whole episode? Spoiling the ending = attracts less viewers

Smaller scenes are better to be shown, so that fans have an idea of what they’re about to tune in for on the following Sunday.

CousinMerl

too legit to quit
"How would the characters feel if they woke up and realized they were part of this giant franchise?" Omine said.

Hittin' the meta a bit hard this season, aren't we? :lol:

Anyhow, I have as a rule to avoid promos so that I'll be surprised so I haven't seen that promo that spoil the ending of 'Treehouse XXXIII', but my sympathies to anyone who saw it and got spoiled. Always too bad to hear the promo-creators being counterproductive and sloppy enough to put the end in a trailer.

Last edited:

Bohdan

Well I did see promo and didn't mind for spoiling😺 - maybe just a spoil, where Linda Belcher will appear, but that's insignificant crime.

To those who still watched/will watch this last promo - pay attention to these quick montages. There are a few of interesting frames.

Sandboy

Junior Camper
I don't really care for spoilers but damn, that promo just spoiled what Bart looks like in the death tome segment and the end of the Simpsons World segment. That's for sure a bit of sloppy marketing.

Venomrabbit

Doesn't have a soul
I'm hoping it's just the expression at work but he looks... kinda bad. Shame too, most of the designs work a lot better than they oughta. Maybe it'll look better in a different shot. So far, Mr Burns might actually be the best design. Or Homer.

And meh, not like they don't post spoilers a lot. I think I even mentioned a while back that the promo pics tend to either say nothing or spoil something big (like that "Lisa the Boy Scout" was not going to be an ordinary episode). Then again given how businesses work, the guys working the promos probably ain't paid enough to cover the bills, let alone care, so fair enough.

Also, trying to go over details and split-second frames with twitter's video player is hideously annoying

Last edited:

FanofSimpsons

Pin Pal
Although Fox has not released a mid-season schedule yet, the new crime drama “Accused” has been announced to premiere on Sunday January 22, preempting “The Simpsons” for the night.

That Don Guy

Ooooo, floor pie
Although Fox has not released a mid-season schedule yet, the new crime drama “Accused” has been announced to premiere on Sunday January 22, preempting “The Simpsons” for the night.
Actually, it's Fox's turn to have a prime time "division round" NFL playoff game, which is scheduled for 1/22, so presumably that will be what actually pre-empts The Simpsons; Accused will almost certainly premiere right after the game. Fox did something similar last year (it was supposed to be Monarch, but was replaced with Next Level Chef when too many production problems forced Monarch's premiere to be moved to the fall.)