Season 33 Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Images for Bart's in Jail. Generic and disappointing, to said, but they reveal 2 story aspects:
1) those "mystic" guest star characters come just from themed-restaurant, from where the episode starts, I guess;
2) as I said - Bart isn't the scam - he's bait, convinced by Abe (at what Marge is angry). I'd like more to see what's next? Where's jail?😅
Bart%27s_in_Jail_promo_10.png

Bart%27s_in_Jail_promo_9.png

Bart%27s_in_Jail_promo_8.png

Bart%27s_in_Jail_promo_6.png

Bart%27s_in_Jail_promo_3.png

Bart%27s_in_Jail_promo_2.png

Bart%27s_in_Jail_promo_1.png

Bart%27s_in_Jail_promo_5.png

Bart%27s_in_Jail_promo_7.png

Bart%27s_in_Jail_promo_4.png

P.S. fyi, Foxflash refused of pointing at guest star, when his/her character is shown at picture. The same is as for TSotB as for this one :oops:
Is it just me or do OFF look really off-model in these later seasons?

The main problem of practically every Treehouse of Horror in the last ten years was the lack of time to develop the stories.

The solution of Matt Selman in Thanksgiving of Horror: shorter intro, no outro, three minutes extra for the episode.

The solution of Al Jean in Treehouse of Horror XXXII: Let's make two more segments this time!

And then I have to read that people just want to give a free pass to Matt Selman just for a whim, haha. The differences are in the most evident details.

The more I've been thinking of it, the more I get the feeling that this new five segment 'Treehouse Of Horror' can very well fall flat on its face with way too brief, rushed segments (the only way I could see it feasily working is extra minutes to the episode, just like what @Szyslak100 said here above regarding 'Thanksgiving Of Horror' but with five segments it'd be tricky. If they made it 30 minutes I think it could work out, but there is no way they'd make an episode that "long". The show's aversion to longer episodes that aren't two-parters is just odd).

@HomerFan1998 , yes, but i wonder if Bambi's could be Maggie's nickname and if she could want revenge on Bart with this character.
Yeah, maybe! But we'll have to wait till October 10th to find out, again we still got to wait for the promo pictures for THOH XXXII, along with its poster to come up on FOXFLASH sometime later this upcoming week, in which I mean somewhere around tomorrow or whichever date

Last edited:
@HomerFan1998 , yes, but i wonder if Bambi's could be Maggie's nickname and if she could want revenge on Bart with this character.
Sorry, but that sounds too silly. Yes, Bambie could have Maggie look (like The Bum as Homer in Love, Springfieldian Style or turkeys in TGoH), what in my opinion anyway is impossible, but such "nicknames", "specific revenge", "spy equipment" sounds really uninteresting and too bad (even for Al Jean and co).

Guys (and gals), Preview and Speculation thread misses you… :oops:

The main problem of practically every Treehouse of Horror in the last ten years was the lack of time to develop the stories.

Sometimes they have managed to make good with the runtime they had, such as the abeformentioned XXVIII (season 29) and last season's, but yes, it tends to be the major problem and this one this year could be a disaster. That Jean is showrunning it is an increasingly more worrisome aspect and while I'm not sure Selman could handle five segments I'd at least have more faith in him here (if he was the showrunner).

I'm interested for TTOH XXXII, and I praise them for trying something different. Remember, previous experiments Halloween of Horror and Thanksgiving of Horror ended up being two of the best episodes of the HD era.

I actually rewatched Halloween of Horror last year for the first time since it first aired as I was marathoning most of the past THoH's leading up to that year's. I remember back in 2015 (before really starting to pay attention to who was the showrunner for an episode) thinking that it was par for the course with most modern episodes as in it going in one ear and out the other, and nothing changed when rewatching it other than it now being another example of how I see no difference quality wise between a Selman or Jean episode besides a lack of intro and/or more fluid animation. That said, it was slightly better than what that year's THoH had to offer where the Godzilla segment was the only thing I felt it had going for it.

And once again, Thanksgiving of Horror being given the praise that it doesn't deserve because it does everything everyone hates about modern THoH but Selman's name being the one attached gives it a guaranteed free pass...

"Everything everyone hates about modern THoH" is underdeveloped segments that lead to nowhere and that just exist, lack of creativity for the benefit of stories that are just shallow parodies of relevant things, horrendous pacing, and lack of ideas that make those episodes worthy of being called "Treehouse of HORROR". Thanksgiving of Horror doesn't have any of that.

@Wile E. the Brain, ....Except that it does as two of the segments can be summed up as "Hey, let's see how much pointless FG levels of gore and massacring we can get away with in seven minute bare boned parodies of Apocalypto but with turkies and The Blob/Alien but with kids for no reason other than cheap shock!". The second segment is the only one where it felt like any actual thought and creatively was put into it besides cheap bloodshed but at the end of the day it's simply a weaker House of Whacks.

Last edited:
Taking issue with things like the violence and gore in the segments feels more like personal tastes coming into play rather than the episode ('Thanksgiving Of Horror') being this objectively bad one that everyone is forgiving to since it was Selman-run or anything like that.

For instance, I didn't fully agree with the over the top bloodshed of the first segment but it made sense the parody aspect & fit well in with the horror theme as the splatter story of the bunch & the last segment was nicely creepy and atmospheric as the Alien/Blob/The Thing parody and I thought they were well told, neatly animated and with good humor like the middle segment. As a whole, I still think it was a fine episode, very much helped by being given those three extra minutes to not rush anything.

That it has everything everyone hates about the modern 'Treehouse Of Horrors' doesn't really feel true in my opinion, especially as it was handled in a way that made its three stories work overall as opposed to the bad 'Treehouses' that fails on pretty much every level of writing (story, humor, pacing, etc.) and drag those down to being less than good. It is not really that a segment has those aspects and themes that can be off-putting, it is how they are written that can be the real problem.

'Thanksgiving Of Horror' is almost like the antithesis answer to those bad modern 'Treehouse' eggs.

Last edited:
@CousinMerl, Sorry, but every justification I see for people who say that this episode was "Great" ultimately translates to "It gets a free pass simply because Selman's name is on it and not Jean's!" because it really is just like all bad THoH's in terms of it's flaws which in most cases are actually done worse with the more fluid animation being the only positive that seperates it from them. And all the extra minutes added was including at least one or two more pointlessly gory bits that the already excessive episode didn't need.

@John95, Feel and think as you like about 'Thankgiving Of Horror' and I can respect your opinion even though I still disagree (and besides, I'm not trying to justify it being objectively great or anything, just chipping in with thoughts).

Also, while I understand some taking offense with things like gore and gruesome violence in in these horror-themed segments and them maybe ending up feeling excessive, to me they aren't automatically the main problem when one of the 'Treehouse Of Horror' episodes turn out bad as it depends on, again, the writing and how it manages to work them into the stories.

Sure, one can dislike these gory and violent aspects (even though they are tame and cartoonish compared to Family Guy's rather realistic moments of violence and gore) and feel like they are no different to stuff in all the other TOHs of the modern era, good and bad, but they really don't make the whole episode to me as they are just a part of it.

But still, some don't make any difference between the episodes and feel they are more of the same bad (and in some cases overrated) stuff and that is part of the subjective opinion that many fans have in regards to the HD era which I can at least have some understanding of. To many, most of the modern episodes doesn't really work and that is all right.

Last edited:
Reactions: MDB
Why is the new THOH airing on October 10 this year? I would expect new episodes to air on 10/17 and 10/24.

Bob's Burgers and Family Guy are also scheduled to have new Halloween-themed episodes on 10/10.

@Ramier Wolfcastle, I'd put "Halloween themed" in quotes for FG as that will only amount to the subplot (which sounds like a rehash of their first one) while the main plot is another Brian/Quagmire episode that is likely to be as "Good" as they normally are (translation: Not even close).

Guys, check this out! I even found the different kinds of posters for The Star of the Backstage inside the link down below:
https://www.tvinsider.com/1011835/t...sical-broadway-rent-chicago-music-man-wicked/

Wait! Actually, here's what they look like down below:
View attachment 1391
View attachment 1392
4 posters?! Whooh, the hype started!:headbang:

I very loved the second (right, up) and third (left, down).
I dislike the first, but we can see the "millennium bug" will literally shown. Also I dislike the 4th, but Marge's witch look is nice.

Upd. From the article (interesting only)
An egotistical star Sasha Reed (voiced by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt‘s Sara Chase), now a Broadway actress, returns to make things even more difficult for Marge. Marge’s rude awakening and misplaced anger with Sasha spurs “A Delicate Approach,” a soft-shoe “Tea for Two”-like ditty sung by Homer (Dan Castellaneta).

And that’s just the start of what’s to come in the special episode, which took roughly 17 months from start to finish.

For example, “The Star of the Backstage,” is a big company number at the top of the episode. “They march down the streets to go to the high school as Marge is like, ‘We’re putting on the show!'” she notes. And for “Fraud-way,” Averick hints, “That’s when Marge gets green with envy.”

As with traditional musicals, the songs are put in place to advance the story. There are no parodies here. Selman notes: “The emotions of the songs need to evoke, as opposed to jokety, joke, joke, joke… but they are funny"

which took roughly 17 months from start to finish
I already imagine angry Twitter comments about "how 17 months lasted, and nobody aged?"😂

Last edited:
So far we don't really know who the directed 'The Longest Marge', 'Boyz N the Highlands', 'Bart the Cool Kid', 'My Octopus and a Teacher', 'Girls Just Shuana Have Fun', 'Meat is Murder' and 'Poorhouse Rock' yet. 😐 Someone should probably ask Matt Selman on Twitter someday (I don't want to ask him though), I doubt Al Jean might know who the director is for 'Bleeding Gums Murphy in the Sound of Music' and 'Marge the Meanie', I hope to ask Al Jean on Twitter whenever I'll try to one day

That said, it was slightly better than what that year's THoH had to offer where the Godzilla segment was the only thing I felt it had going for it.

Regarding the Godzilla segment ('Homerzilla'), I actually thought that one wasn't all that good & pretty much as bad as the rest of that 'Treehouse Of Horror'. It started out well with the parody of the 1954 Japanese original, but then they suddenly make it into a crap mess with it suddenly being about American film executives wanting to remake it because the original is apparently so bad (haha what?) it needs remake, cue sudden parody of the 1998 & 2014 American Godzillas rolled into one. Why didn't they just stick with the initial parody?

I'm glad that 'King Homer' came at the time it did because if it came out now, I can see them wanting to also make it about all the subsequent remakes and add some lame joke about Peter Jackson or something.

Last edited:
@CousinMerl, Never said Homerzilla was great, just that it stood out the most when compared to the first segment which was just seven minutes of cheap shock over the visual of Bart being eviscerated over and over and the last segment where much like the next year's BFF R.I.P. had a decent idea behind but they did nothing with it.

But yeah, that segment does fall apart once the American film executives get involved so I'll give you that. Perfect example of They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot.

@John95, Point taken. My bad. Still, I stand by what I said that 'Homerzilla' remains a poor segment of a very disappointing 'Treehouse', but I'll at least give it a point for the first half with the parody before the halfway plot switch being pretty decent while the other two segments didn't really have anything actually good in them (to me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back