Season 33 Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course Al Jean can do things right. He has been in the show since its first season and probably nobody dedicated more time and put more effort into the show than him. The point is, the role of showrunner has an expiration date, and Al Jean reached it, like, in season 17? And, the most he keeps producing, the most the quality of his episodes decrease.

I mean, it's already hard for a show to be on air for 33 years without becoming repetitive, imagine if topping it all off, the same guy was the "leader" for twenty years. It eventually became tatty, and each year seems to be worse. I would be excited if Al Jean stays in the show as a writer, but someone who produced around 400 episodes has too little to offer.

Furthermore, the ideal situation of the show for me is that in the next production cycle Matt Selman takes the full charge, but already giving another person (Carolyn Omine?) the opportunity of running two or three episodes. Selman is already the third showrunner with more episodes produced, how much could he stay without a decline in quality?

I agree with all of that. Like I've been saying before, Jean of the HD era has increasingly become a problem. He has had a lot of ups just like he has a lot of downs and isn't automaticall bad (not only did he use to be an successful showrunner but he did produce some fan favorite episodes even in the HD era) but it is true that his his more recent output has not been very inspired nor good at all and often fall into either the "disappointing" or just "bad" categories and very rarely, if ever, produces actual good content

Especially when looking at his output from season 32 and that of this season so far, it is all the more clear his showrunning has become more and more tired and stale and it begs for a change (and really badly so), which is really obvious after 20 years of continously helming the show as the main producer and showrunner. This is definitely the time for Selman to really shine.

I'd love to see Selman, especially now after him assuming more of an active showrunning role for this season, take over the baton from Jea (and it would be neat to see someone like Carolyn Omine as a collaborator and writer. Maybe Selman could lure MacMullan back as director, as well? Wishful thinking.). I wouldn't want him to overstay either so maybe just for two-three seasons before a new change in showrunner happens as I wouldn't want his tenure to inevitably start feel stale, unless the show would end after his tenure (which feels unlikely with how now that Disney owns the show, they'd want to really milk it as much as they can).

Last edited:
Of the current staff, Omine, Vebber and/or Kelley would be my top picks for the next showrunner.

I think ideally I'd also like a lil' new blood too. Maybe the really observant kind of person that'd take notes. Cause there's a lot of things that kinda... don't make sense about the show's worldbuilding as it is (especially regarding Lisa-has-no-friends stories) and work on that. Because some of the weird holes in the show are distracting but fixable. Like, even with the more caricatured cast there'd be room to work with and there's plenty of still-untapped potential.

I mean if Gravity Falls could take a one-dimensional bully and make her one of the best and most beloved characters of an already great cast despite initally having no plans for her whatsoever, someone could still spin gold outta this mess.

In a way, that's probably the biggest source of my frustrations with the show. Like the ones that piss me off the most tend to be the ones I really saw potential in but were so badly handled. Like "Dead Ringer" for instance is like if "Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace" had a guest-character be the villain and wasted Willie within seconds. Like... we're all pretty sour but hypothetically, I think almost all of us could agree that the show could be good again. Like that's why we're still here, right? Maybe even good in ways the classic era wasn't. But they just keep missing.

Like, Halloween of Horror again. It started with an interesting premise but that time actually followed through with it fully. And there's some folks that didn't like it (I mean, can't please everyone!) but the way people talk about shows there's still that small chance for the show...

Last edited:
Of the current staff, Omine, Vebber and/or Kelley would be my top picks for the next showrunner.

All nice choices, but I would still first let Selman helm a full season or two before one of them gets their turn. The show desperately needs new blood, especially if it wants to continue on for season after season and not wrap up any time soon.

Like @Venomrabbit said, there is a little bit of hope yet for the show, but not if it continues with more Jean-run seasons that rehashes material and plotlines (also filling the episodes with drawn-out jokes and forced LOLrandom background gags, like he loves to do). Let those other creative minds take over with new, fresh ideas, viewpoints & styles.

Can't wait to enjoy this Homer-filled episode based entirely around Homer's fathering expertise.

Allow me to show you all what the promo pictures for Part 1 of A Serious Flanders looks like

1634867615546.png
Anyway, if Trab Pu Kcip is here, then he would probably know what to do (unless if he signed up for FOXFLASH)

Last edited:
the promo pictures for Part 1 of A Serious Flanders

View attachment 1536
What we can already see:
1) Brian Cox' role (Kostas Becker) (btw, Fox return guest stars to image captions) is that "ruthless collector" and he looks really terrific;
2) technically it's a wither-themed episode (and it would be more logical to shift it as the last in 2021, but due to scheduling it would be unlikely to wait 3 weeks between the parts)
3) Barb (voiced by Christin Milloti) is going to be a "good one" guest character… or not so simple?🧐 Other 2 characters (not counting Fat Tony) are bad people, obviously

Well, I became more excited

3) Barb (voiced by Christin Milloti) is going to be a "good one" guest character… or not so simple?🧐 Other 2 characters (not counting Fat Tony) are bad people, obviously
I don't know if this is intentional or not, but I'm getting major Maude Flander's vibes from her. The orange hair, the lipstick, and the sweater she's wearing in that pic where she's with Ned in what I'm guessing is her house.

mm, another replacement woman? Oh I hope that's a fake-out tbh. Not just for treating women as mcguffins again (thank you, Merl, perfert phrasing) but just like... I wish they'd do more with Flanders as a lonely single dad, if anything it's an interesting angle seeing as he started off being annoyingly better-off neighbor and then brought down to a point where he has something to envy Homer over. The times they've had Flanders' happy little world fall apart have been gut-wrenching in a good way like losing his house and everything. I mean Mother 3 always holds a place in my heart for kicking it in the ass so much, I live for these kinds of tragic situations.

... or at least more of Ned as a teacher, might as well do something with that too. Only Lisa even seems to get classroom scenes anymore.

Yes, Renee is Selnan's wife, and she isn't new for Simpsons, but… Sage "Uniboob" character implemention idea is amazing. There aren't many characters with own serious problems, which show to similar viewers, all's ok. She even has own Instagram page and story. Add here the backstory of Renee Ridgey herself (her fight with cancer), plus in days there was a day of fight of Brest cancer (now it makes sense, why the episode was moved later), and we get SO AWAITING needed move with the time from the show out of time.

In short, great!😀

Amazing idea for a character! I think we all know someone who's had or has cancer so it's nice to see them implement a strong character like that in the show who's not afraid to be herself. What's really hanging in the balance of this episode for me is Lisa and Marge's relationship and how they pull off the message. We all know Lisa's gonna go back to normal by the next episode so I wonder how they'll deal with the status quo or if they'll just leave her the way she is at the end.

it's better ot just link the 2 youtube videos instead of the weird resolution twitter ones

I guess that's a good idea, I suppose. Luckily though, I just uploaded those two videos into Streamable just so the other Canadian folks can be able to watch those two videos from YouTube, so yeah here are the two links down below. You know, for the Canadian folks and especially everyone else to see the two videos from YouTube

https://streamable.com/ocykjb
https://streamable.com/d5w7u4

mm, another replacement woman? Oh I hope that's a fake-out tbh. Not just for treating women as mcguffins again (thank you, Merl, perfert phrasing) but just like... I wish they'd do more with Flanders as a lonely single dad, if anything it's an interesting angle seeing as he started off being annoyingly better-off neighbor and then brought down to a point where he has something to envy Homer over. The times they've had Flanders' happy little world fall apart have been gut-wrenching in a good way like losing his house and everything. I mean Mother 3 always holds a place in my heart for kicking it in the ass so much, I live for these kinds of tragic situations.

... or at least more of Ned as a teacher, might as well do something with that too. Only Lisa even seems to get classroom scenes anymore.

I wouldn't mind if Ned got a new girlfriend (and yeah, hopefully this one wont be some sort of macguffin for the plot). They haven't done much good or interesting with Ned as a widower/single dad just like they haven't done much at allwith him being Bart's teacher (and at times he's been acting weirdly hostile and intolerant to boot. See for instance 'Warrin Priests' where he was like some kind of fundamentalist) so maybe they just have him hook up with a nice woman and run with it for the remainder of the show (maybe esperccial considering that the Edna relationship was sadly cut short. Ned deserves another shot at true love).

This new character Barb in 'A Serious Flanders' will probably just be some one-off (especially considering the VA is a guest actor) and maybe she'll turn out not to be a good one for ol' Neddy, but maybe, if however unlikely, she turns out to be good, has chemistry with him and sticks arounnd I would be open for it. Also, the episode itself seems rather intriguing so I'm hoping they'll get this modern two-parter right.

Ehhh could do without. We do honestly have way too many female characters who's only real relevance is "(male character)'s girlfriend/wife" Heck, as far as characters that get used much and are fully independant like that, Cookie Kwan and LIndsey Naegle might be two of the only ones. Kinda like how Milhouse, Nelson and so on have thier own shit but the girls' only ever revolve around Lisa (as the "other girls" to the "I'm not like other girls" thing that's most of Lisa's character now)

Like if they were going to expand on the female cast I'd rather it be someone who's either not connected with a man or like, can at least potentially be the important one out of the two... and not a Helen clone. Love or hate her, Helen's the best at being Helen, accept no imitations...

Basically feels like the only way they know to write at least interesting women is if they're a one-timer with no impact on the cast overall.

I wouldn't mind if Ned got a new girlfriend (and yeah, hopefully this one wont be some sort of macguffin for the plot). They haven't done much good or interesting with Ned as a widower/single dad just like they haven't done much at allwith him being Bart's teacher (and at times he's been acting weirdly hostile and intolerant to boot. See for instance 'Warrin Priests' where he was like some kind of fundamentalist) so maybe they just have him hook up with a nice woman and run with it for the remainder of the show (maybe esperccial considering that the Edna relationship was sadly cut short. Ned deserves another shot at true love).
If Barb is actually a stay-around love interest then that's horrible timing right after Maya and Moe. I'd rather see the female cast expanded like in Uncut Femmes than just adding new female characters to be a new girlfriend/wife. As @Venomrabbit mentioned there are way too many Helen clones on the show even recurring one's like Bernice and Luann, and I would love to see them expanded into something more than that.

Honestly even Helen herself could be worked on. Like, the Simpsons seems to excell at contemptuous characters that are still pitiable (is the "minister's wife" gig suffocating? Is that why she shames and shitstirs so much because she really wants to get away with doing half those things herself? Her marriage with Tim is a trainwreck but bits like What Animated Women Want and the start of Moe Letter Blues implies she's the only one even trying while Tim might neglect her outright. Ain't like he's winning father of the year either so..)
Or S&T (they don't seem to have any actual friends and never leading some posse despite being treated as popular. Is that a facade? Hell that'd be an actual reason for Lisa to approach them so much, noticing they're not actually popular and feeling sorry for them. Would be pretty sad on both ends then, her for getting rejected and them for pushing someone away that's actually reaching out to them over something they'd never admit to)

I mean, there's quite a few ways to go actually work on the undeveloped female cast without even needing to particularly retcon things like Nelson's daddy issues does.

Maya might count as a good one too if they remember what she's like. I mean if someone randomly pretends to be a doll to freak people out then I'm gonna like the cut of their gib.

(And go figure I tend to easily feel sorry for people the writers are clearly trying to make hateable, because it seems unless they're at least comical "love to hate" levels of villain things often come off as unfair on them...)

Last edited:
Leave it to Selman to bring back the traditional one writer per segment formula that worked wonders for Treehouse of Horror quality back during the Classic era.

Leave it to Selman to bring back the traditional one writer per segment formula that worked wonders for Treehouse of Horror quality back during the Classic era.
Love the writer's chosen except a little concerned about Ryan Koh, but if he could deliver with Selman under the Dad-Feelings Limited he can hopefully deliver here.

Good news for Bohdan, it seems that the production code for THOH XXXIII will be UABF18
Me? That's your prerogative:rolleyes:

Also, according to Kelsey Sanders' DM, Pixelated and Afraid is going to be the 1st or 2nd episode in 2022. So, that probably rushed my guess about 11 episodes in 2021; and there will probably be a 3-weeks gap in December. Well, ok:oops:
View attachment 1540

Also, here are the promo images for Q21 in big resolution
A_Serious_Flanders_%28Part_1%29_promo_2.png

A_Serious_Flanders_%28Part_1%29_promo_3.png

A_Serious_Flanders_%28Part_1%29_promo_4.png

A_Serious_Flanders_%28Part_1%29_promo_5.png

A_Serious_Flanders_%28Part_1%29_promo_6.png

A_Serious_Flanders_%28Part_1%29_promo_7.png

A_Serious_Flanders_%28Part_1%29_promo_8.png

A_Serious_Flanders_%28Part_1%29_promo_1.png

A_Serious_Flanders_%28Part_1%29_promo_9.png

A_Serious_Flanders_%28Part_1%29_promo_10.png

A_Serious_Flanders_%28Part_1%29_promo_11.png

Remember, it's Debbie Mahan's director debut. And visual analyzes: I like the color contrast (especially in sunset or night scenes), I like some shadow play or good-worked backgrounds, the characters aren't static (like in Bob Anderson's style), there are expressions. The images aren't "the best of the bests", but really good. Welcome!:)
(and yes, now I also see the similarity Barb and Mona)
Love the writer's chosen
If also U18 would be Rob Oliver's number...🤗

Also about Sage there is some interest paragraphs in Yahooo! article we missed
Sage is the brainchild of Los Angeles–based actress, writer, breast cancer survivor and flat advocate Renee Ridgeley, who also voices the character, and who says that while Sage's role is small, it's "crucial," as she's the person Marge and Lisa meet with in order to work out some issues relating to body positivity. Ridgeley, who has many connections in the entertainment industry, has been "hounding different people," she says, "one of them being my husband," Matt Selman, who is The Simpsons showrunner. "I was like, 'Let's get a breast cancer survivor on The Simpsons!'"
So it was "kismet," the longtime show writer continued, when they started working on a new episode written by Juliet Kaufman, which had a theme of body acceptance. "This is, like, the perfect episode [for Sage]," he [Selman] says. "It's like a grace note."
...The episode, she [Ridgeley] tells Yahoo Life, is "very emotional."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back