Season 1's charm

season one was experimental, so you honestly can't give the first season flack for not being brilliant in the animation department. they were trying to see what worked and what didn't, and that's also why characterisations are all over the place. complaining about this is ludicrous

not that i agree with the complaint, but it's a perfectly valid complaint to make. just because there is appropriate and necessary reasoning behind why something exists, doesn't mean it should be ignored or off-limits.
yes, the characterisations and animations being "all over the place" were due to it being the original season, and that is understandable and shouldn't be misunderstood as it being a lesser quality of the season, but somebody not enjoying the season because of this fluctuation is perfectly understandable.

I like that about it (its more depressing tone). Episodes like Moaning Lisa and The Crepes of Wrath make the characters seem more rounded, since real people aren't limited to light-hearted situations. The resulting versatility of the series (i.e. how it can both pull off both heavier episodes as well as silly episodes) is one of the things I love most about it and one of the most important aspects of the show (to me, anyway).

Maybe this is just because I haven't seen any Season 1 episodes in a while, but I don't remember the characterizations being that off in Season 1 (with the exception of Homer in There's No Disgrace Like Home and Homer's Odyssey, which is already a weak episode anyway), especially compared to Season 2. Of course, Homer acts a lot differently in Season 1 than Season 5, for example, but he acts a lot differently between Season 2 (or even 3) and Season 5 as well.
Lisa is also pretty off, acting a lot more like a female version of Bart.

Season 1 is brilliant, I love the more realistic feel that's a wonderful contrast to the more cartoony animation. I also love the darker tone it has.

It's been said before, but the progression of the classic era could be compared to that of a mountain.

1 is starting at the base of the mountain, 2 is climbing up, 3-8 is the plateau, 9-10 (yes, I like certain parts of s10) is slowly going back down the mountain, and Maude's death in S11 is accidentally falling off a ledge on the mountain and getting scraped to death along the way.

But the reason I put it in is because the quality is there, at least in my eyes. I don't really like comparing Season 1 to something like Season 4 head-to-head because the general styles of the show are so dramatically different. I mean, if I'm just going to make a list of the funniest jokes in something like LETS and compare it to Bart the General, then obviously the Season 4 episodes are superior. But the Season 1 episodes do things stylistically that a lot of the later seasons can't even touch. The word that I like to throw around is "charm."

...Which is kind of a tiresome and nebulous word, but that's the way I characterize it.

Like, I was re-watching Life on the Fast lane for no apparent reason that has nothing to do with future projects, and was really entranced by how deliberately and thoughtfully they put together each scene. There are a lot of little odd, observational touches that aren't necessarily jokes, but give the world more personality. Even stupid things that don't even matter.

I love how, when Marge goes bowling for the first time and talks to the guy behind the counter, he literally points to these signs saying, "You can't bowl without a lane" or "No street shoes allowed" while saying the exact same dialogue.

s01e09_68.jpg

Is this necessary? No. Does it add something to the scene. Yes.

It makes an unimportant character like a bowling alley employee slightly more visually interesting to listen to as he explains the world of bowling to a confused Marge. And then you have Marge walking up to the line, looking around puzzledly, chucking a bowling ball down the lane. There aren't really any jokes. It's not accompanied with a big bowling parody or some witty pun about her skills; it's just showing someone trying something they have absolutely no idea about. Marge doesn't feel like a vehicle for delivering jokes; she feels more like an actual person who is interacting with actual situations.

I guess what I'm very confusedly saying is that Season 1 is really authentic.

awesome post by jims from a past thread on season 1's charm.

just because there is appropriate and necessary reasoning behind why something exists, doesn't mean it should be ignored or off-limits.
it shouldn't be off-limits, but that doesn't prevent me at all from saying the complaint is stupid and obtuse, which it is

Almost every (great) show has that one first season where the show was still trying to find out how they wanted to go further. In this case, season 1 is generally tame with the jokes and has some really slow pacing. And the animation feels very old, but makes with some funny occurences like some of the characters facial expressions, and whatever happens in the background that is misdrawn or something. I think the show that got it the worst with its first seasons is South Park, because back then they only had a very low budget where they just used cutout animation. I still find it a great season but its the weakest of the classic era, which I consider to be season 1-8. Its about on par with 9, and way better than anything above season 10.

Season 1 has its fair shares of good and bad episodes, and while its lacking in humor it manages to make up for it with some down to earth characterisation, which at the time was actually groundbreaking for a cartoon. I also like how the storylines are a lot more realistic, while still retaining the sense of being a cartoon. I even like some of the dark stuff they've pulled like Homer's attempt for suicide and Lisa feeling incredibly depressed, something the modern era will not be able to pull off. Compare this season alone to the Tracey Ullman Show, and know how much of an improvement it is. And it only continued to improve until we reached season 9...

But yeah, this season does have its own charm and its still a fun watch. Just not a season that I'd pick to get some really good laughs.

Lisa is also pretty off, acting a lot more like a female version of Bart.

Not always, especially not in Moaning Lisa. She didn't have a lot of other major roles anyway.

It's been said before, but the progression of the classic era could be compared to that of a mountain.

1 is starting at the base of the mountain, 2 is climbing up, 3-8 is the plateau, 9-10 (yes, I like certain parts of s10) is slowly going back down the mountain, and Maude's death in S11 is accidentally falling off a ledge on the mountain and getting scraped to death along the way.

Nah, Season 2 is one of the best seasons. That Season 2 is often excluded from the classic era/golden age is even more absurd than the exclusion of Season 1.

Another part of the charm from the first season was there were no guest stars playing his/herself.

We only had I believe seven guest stars which I got from the list on Wikipedia

They were the following;

Sam McMurray (2 episodes)
Ron Taylor
Albert Brooks (2 episodes)
Kelsey Grammer
June Foray
Penny Marshall
Paul Wilson

Yeah it's always cooler when a guest star isn't playing him/herself since when you finally figure out can be pleasantly surprised, like "Ooooooooh, I didn't know he/she was played by that guy!".

Sounds like most of the Scully era, too.

Not at all. I don't get why people catagorize seasons 10-12 as wacky. The simpsons is a sitcom, but it is also a cartoon. It needs to be fluid. I don't know if people thought seasons 1-9 were less wacky, but I think they were the same. There has been wackiness since the beginning. Also, why do people complain about this. I don't ever remember taking the simpsons totally seriously. This is a good thing. Shows need to have lots of flexibility, or else it is always the same old stuff. I enjoy season 1, but I feel the stories are too simple, and move very slowly. Granted, season 12 storylines have a lot going on, but seasons 3-8 have simple stories that move well. I don't know why I love seasons 10 and 12, 12 especially, but I think it's because it's stories are entertaining, and it is a very comical season. Season 13 for me started the downfall of the seasons, with season 14 being when it exactly hit. I even like modern simpsons. YES. I ENJOY MODERN SIMPSONS. does it mean that it is just as good as the classic era? Far from it. It just means that it is still good tv. Yes, there are some very crappy episodes thrown in, but there are gems of great episodes too, and it it ended at season 10, we would never have seen these. All in all, sorry for trailing off so much, but I think season 12 is quality tv, and season 1-2 are great, but they are off, and still trying to find their place.

It's funny how looking back NOW at s1 people think it is "silly" and crude, but when S1 first aired, it was considered ground-breaking and offensive. Face it, 80's TV was about as risk taking as a Ford Taurus. Shows like Cheers were pretty 'safe' in their humor and before Cosby was associated with drugging women, his show was the most plane-jane, vanilla show ever made. The only thing edgy about Cosby was his offensive sweaters.

You're forgetting 2 little shows from the 1980's that were far from safe and ALL about edge: Married With Children, that came out in 1987 and a little show called Roseanne, which started in 1988. They were far from safe and were both VERY foretelling of what the Simpsons would be doing a short while later.

Now, to answer the OP's question, I watched season 1 as it aired for the first time and it had quality written all over it. Sure, the show gradually slipped into a wackier, more silly and unrealistic show within a couple of years, but that first season or 2 had a lot of warmth to it. I was 12 years old at the time and I could relate to some of the story lines. How can ANY kid of today's generation relate to modern day Simpsons story lines? Ain't going to happen. I say Season 1 belongs in the "classic era" hands down.

I was 12 years old at the time and I could relate to some of the story lines.

When I was eight years old, I had depression. So by the time I saw Moaning Lisa, it really spoke to me. I can't remember how old I was then, but yeah, season 1 is definitely relatable. Even in some of its heavier moments. I think that's part of why it made such a splash.
I honestly have trouble finding anything to identify with in new episodes at all.

Admittedly, Season 1 is my least favorite of the classic era. I may even go as far to say that I'd choose to watch anything from S12-S15 over it. But as you said, it has a real charm to it - the show was young and in development and the storylines may have been a bit far-fetched. But the main reason I really love it is for the animation. It's great but also terrible.

Mr-Smithers-of-the-simpsons.jpg
frame082.jpg
tumblr_inline_n9us8obBDs1rzbao2.jpg

Also (I don't know why) but whenever I hear 'The Simpsons, Season 1' I immediately think of Miss Botz. She's a pretty iconic character for the show - her physical appearance, the fact that she scared many people within her time on the show.She's essentially one of the first one-time guests who's not completely one dimensional.

Season 1's animation is not terrible in the very least. It is funny yes, but that's also the point. And sometimes it could even perfectly express emotion, like in that beautifully colored day dream in Life On The Fast Lane. I would even argue that it's one of the most well-animated seasons.

9mv6TfG.png

Seriously though. I've never really bothered to overthink this. It's a good season, good episodes, I like them, the animation is still good as well imo..

Harsh.

Season 1 does have beautifully animated moments here and there. Like that babysitter bandit thing, or when Lisa turns to read the dictionary, Homer crying at Bart's funeral. Few gems like that. Otherwise, generally fine I guess. I mean it can't beat season 10, but it's still pleasant for my eyes at least.

I like season 1. It definitely has its quirks with characters and the animation but the show as still in its genesis so it's forgivable. I like the more grounded-reality tone it had. It's definitely unique compared to other seasons but not one of my favorites. Seasons 2-10 are better by a good mile in my opinion.

there is something especially depressing about season 1. it doesn't have tha offbeat schwartzweldian humour, and it's just so...heavy, and dry. I actually hardly ever have the inclination to go back watch a season 1 episode, which is not a problem I have for anything from season 2 until season 10.

Yeah, they deal with things like marriage crisis, depression, and financial troubles in a much more serious way than most of the rest of the series

The whole season was pretty variable, but it still has some great moments. "Krusty Gets Busted" and "Moaning Lisa" (which I already mentioned) are two of my all-time favourite Simpsons episodes.
"The Telltale Head" is pretty sweet too.

Care to elaborate?

Are you talking to me?
Because all that is just my opinion and personal taste.
I liked "The Telltale Head" because of the difficult position Bart finds himself in and the way he and Homer handle it. I thought it was a nice exploration of a type of problem that most of us have to face in one way or another at some point in our lives.
As I said earlier, I liked "Moaning Lisa" because I had depression in childhood and could really identify with Lisa in that episode -- it made me feel less alone.
I like "Krusty Gets Busted" because I enjoy mysteries, I thought the collaboration between Bart and Lisa was really nice to watch and Sideshow Bob's frustration and anguish closely resemble things I've had to deal with in my own life.

Last edited:
@ Scully apologist

Dude, you offer nothing of quality or intelligence to the conversation. You're negative and insulting. Are you the local troll here?

Are you talking to me?
Because all that is just my opinion and personal taste.
I liked "The Telltale Head" because of the difficult position Bart finds himself in and the way he and Homer handle it. I thought it was a nice exploration of a type of problem that most of us have to face in one way or another at some point in our lives.
As I said earlier, I liked "Moaning Lisa" because I had depression in childhood and could really identify with Lisa in that episode -- it made me feel less alone.
I like "Krusty Gets Busted" because I enjoy mysteries, I thought the collaboration between Bart and Lisa was really nice to watch and Sideshow Bob's frustration and anguish closely resemble things I've had to deal with in my own life.

Sorry no, I was referring to the Scully apologist who seems to never explain, elaborate on, or articulate his blanket statements. He seems to be quite simple and limited if you know what I mean?

Haha that's a bit mean, I'm actually relatively articulate. There is a few reasons why I don't ever rewatch Season 1. I know it was groundbreaking at the time but I think it's dated quite poorly. The pacing is too slow, the characters half-formed and the stories mundane. And then there's the animation which is just too crude for me to enjoy. Season 2's animation is still fairly loose and I think that has a real charm to it but Season 1 falls short most of the time.

Obviously there are flashes of brilliance but I would still rank it as my least favourite season.

Back