Scenes that make you uncomfortable

That scene never botherd me much. It would be one thing if it actually happened, but the fact that it was a dream and something Homer couldn’t control makes it more acceptable. As for the part where he says he wakes up just before the good part, he just woke up from a dream, and it’s quite possible that he wasn’t thinking at full capacity. He just said the first thing that came to his mind as he was still recovering from the dream illusion.

A little moment which really upset me was when the whole family laughs about putting Grandpa in the nursing home. Not just because it screws with the established moral compass of Lisa and Marge, but because in a lot of episodes we see how miserable Abe is there, and just how lonely his existence is.
Homer's dream of suffocating him is terrible, but the idea of his whole family finding him being all alone hilarious is just as cold-blooded.

Again how Abe is treated by the family and the show is appalling.

I want those frigging writers to have to experience what i did the other day. My mother is elderly and has failing memory. I was putting her to bed and she insisted she couldn't go to sleep unless i got her a piece of cardboard with the letter "J"on it.

You think senility is something to joke about for audience laughs, Groening?

Try having to care for my mother and you might change your freaking tune :'(

Here's a few examples of why i hate Marge:

Saint Marge masquerades as a drag queen to sell something or other even though it's cultural appropriation and just to feel good about herself. Homer accidentally outs her when he finds out what she's been doing, and the LGBTIQ members of Springfield are rightfully angry at her for being a tourist in their culture. Does Marge own up to this? NOPE. She blames Homer for ruining her crushing her dreams, and everyone instantly overlooks Marge's wrongs and instead Homer is the one that has to make the Grand Gesture.
Homer and Marge go out to dinner, and Homer does nothing more than be Homer (be more interested in eating than talking). Marge throws a fit and freezes Homer out, and Homer has to jump through hoops to make it up to her, even though he didn't really do anything wrong.
Homer talks during a movie. Copy and paste previous scenario.
Homer makes a perfectly platonic female friend and Marge throws a jealous whiny bitchfit upon discovering it. When she finds out that this woman is no threat whatsoever (and engaged), does she apologize? NOPE. "Okay I was wrong, but I'm STILL right to be mad at you because you're better with this woman than you are with me."
She intends to force Lisa, and presumably Maggie, to end up a female decorative ornament on the arm of a man of power.
I hate her so damn much.

Well it *is* the same guy who punched out his grandson, sympathies are pretty limited for Grampa on my end...

The abuse placed on Bart makes me really uncomfortable, but mainly like in Love Is A Many Strangled Thing they keep trying to justify the abuse. However they don’t really do a good job making me think that is the joke the show has exaggerated his negative qualities over the years, but also the severity of his abuse never changing the the fact that. That’s why he acts that way. As stated they present him as a bully to Lisa ignoring the fact that not only does she prank him just as much but her pranks and retaliations are significantly more harmful then anything Bart does. It’s not just physical abuse, its fanatical, emotional, neglect. Homer and Marge giving up on Bart in Lisa's Sax for no other reason them to make it more convenient to help Lisa. They repeatedly tell him that that he’s an accident who will never amount to anything. Today I Am A Clown shows that they lie to the authorities about Bart’s injuries. It’s not just Homer Marge does it to. When ever something bad happens to Bart she will either ignore it or down play it.

She cared more about the existence of the Maison Derriere in Bart After Dark then the fact that Bart was working there. She compared the "hardships" of Bart's injuries from being hit by a car o the $5 she pays him to take out the trash every week. It was her that convinced Bart to give away all of the money that go to his surgery. Telling that he would never be crippled if he wasn’t better then her (Bart ruined thanksgiving when he ruined Lisa’s centerpiece). Yet she has tried to force him to play another instrument twice since. Watch any random episode of season 24 to see how she talks about her son. Bart has supported the family at least twice, his tee shirts in Fat Man And Little Boy, he paid for a trip to England in The Regina Monologues. Even outside of that when he gets huge sums of money he usually spends it on the family he brought dinner in Lisa The Tree Hugger, using all of his settlement money in Round Springfield to buy Bleeding Gums Murphy’s record. How many times has Marge given up on Bart even when the show itself shows that it is the wrong thing to do compare Homer’s actions in the Itchy and scratchy movie with Marge’s in Postcards From The Wedge.

The abuse has reached Meg levels. Both Homer and Lisa have worked with Sideshow Bob not only knowing that he has repeatedly tried to kill Bart, but specifically stating that he didn’t care. But what really makes me uncomfortable is that in two consecutive episodes both the season 29 final and the 30 première Homer callously put Bart’s life didn’t show the slightest bit of guilt. What makes this worse is that Bart’s Not Dead is basically a rehash of the Tell Tale Head so Homer cares more about Jebediah Springfield’s statue then his son. Also they tried make Lisa come across as the only one smart enough to realize that Bart is lying but the fact that he was only in the situation for defending her makes her actions disturbing.

Do you realize that the only times Bart is shown to have a successful future is when Homer finally decided to be a good parent or he just decides to screw it and not associate with lisa anymore. How about Lisa Gets The Blues. After Lisa is cured of her Yips, Marge states that the key to being a good parent is your kids happiness. Yet Bart is blinded and dressed up as a girl and not only do Homer and Marge do nothing about this, they never even acknowledge that it happened. Furthermore, while Homer spends the entire day with Lisa making her feel better, Marge just sends Bart off on his own after a short time of trying to get him to do something only she would enjoy.

Ass hole Homer bends down and Maude Flanders is hitted with those air jackets. I hated that episode and Homer!! I'm glad that Maude got revenge! Homer sleeping during Frank Grimes and everybody laughs when he is lowered. I hated that episode Homer and it started the era of jerk ass Homer. Homer abusing Ned Flanders and have no remorse.

In The Joy of Sect, Barney the Dinosaur plays a minor role. What's worse is that they think he's a robot/animatronic when he's a guy in a dinosaur costume, and a third person version of "I Love You" doesn't help.

Here's a few examples of why i hate Marge:

Saint Marge masquerades as a drag queen to sell something or other even though it's cultural appropriation and just to feel good about herself. Homer accidentally outs her when he finds out what she's been doing, and the LGBTIQ members of Springfield are rightfully angry at her for being a tourist in their culture. Does Marge own up to this? NOPE. She blames Homer for ruining her crushing her dreams, and everyone instantly overlooks Marge's wrongs and instead Homer is the one that has to make the Grand Gesture.
Homer and Marge go out to dinner, and Homer does nothing more than be Homer (be more interested in eating than talking). Marge throws a fit and freezes Homer out, and Homer has to jump through hoops to make it up to her, even though he didn't really do anything wrong.
Homer talks during a movie. Copy and paste previous scenario.
Homer makes a perfectly platonic female friend and Marge throws a jealous whiny bitchfit upon discovering it. When she finds out that this woman is no threat whatsoever (and engaged), does she apologize? NOPE. "Okay I was wrong, but I'm STILL right to be mad at you because you're better with this woman than you are with me."
She intends to force Lisa, and presumably Maggie, to end up a female decorative ornament on the arm of a man of power.
I hate her so damn much.
And let's not forget lying to Lisa about liking Jazz, pretending to cry so her daughter feels guilty and then weaseling out of offering a real apology. Still a better parent than Homer because she clearly loves her kids, but from a comedy perspective I'm genuinely puzzled. If the writers disagree with her being emotionally abusive, why is she always portrayed as being right? You can't just say "it's satire" when a character's morals are askew and the serious moments stem from them being portrayed sympathetically.

Like, remember the sitcom Heil Honey I'm Home? It would be as if that show tried to write a genuinely heartwarming episode about how Hitler had to learn to be a better husband to Eva Braun - even though we the audience know he's a monster. It can't be done. Characters need a moral grounding, even in slapstick humour. Like Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator. It's a very silly movie, but the serious moments work because we believe Chaplin's character is a decent guy.

i consider that more of a bad lisa episode then a bad marge, but it does kind of show her idea of spending time with her family is merely doing something she likes and they just have to sit there and take it or they're horrible people.

going back to the drag queen episode how many times has marge done that to homer, even eliminating the times she's ruined his chances at success and focusing only on the times she's found out he's done something and screamed it out ruining it. has she ever been presented as being wrong for this. she once put his life in danger when he was a prison snitch and still he was the one in the wrong. i'm tired of asking my self why is it okay for marge to do this and no one else.

Marge is like Hitler, another great moment in No Homers history

I wasn't comparing the two characters, I was making a point about emotional investment in the characters and how you can't have a character behave badly - with no comeuppance - and then expect audiences to care about their emotional plight in the more serious moments of the show. Heil Honey I'm Home was the best example I could think of to illustrate my point, as the audience already hates Hitler, so there's literally no interest in seeing him and Eva Braun fight and then reconcile.
Was I actually wrong?

In all fairness, the drag-queen thing was an accident. And then several actual drag queens themselves encouraged her to go along with it. maybe she didn't belong but she was kinda ushered through the door. And it's not like Lisa's even been fake or pretended to be interested in something, only in her case it's usually to suck up to someone who's having none of it whereas Marge was at least trying to be considerate...

Brian from F*m*y G*y remarked about Lois having fifties values, but Marge is more Donna Reed/June Cleaver and much more obnoxious about it. I really hope Maggie grows up to like girls, just to spite Marge's outdated and narrow view of what her daughters should be.

The Banksy Couch Gag.

For a fictional cartoon, that one really ticked me off. I guess they meant it as a joke but jokes are suppose to make you laugh, even rude and unapologetic jokes can achieve this. I felt more like seething silent anger from that depressing couch-gag. That wasn't a joke. That was a half-ass attempt to get a depressing reaction out of people at least that's what it appears to be. It certainly worked I suppose, got people talking about it a week from what I recalled. I suppose what's more of a shame is for one single moment, it looked like the people behind the Simpsons didn't gave a shit how much hard work the animators in Korea put into The Simpsons all these years. It felt like they never considered what they thought which I suppose doesn't matter when deadlines exist. One thing they did get right I suppose is that an animator's job in East Asia, especially in Korea and Japan, isn't an easy life even with all the advances in computers and technology. Joke or not, meant to be taking seriously or not. What a depressing opening. The sad part is, people actually believe this kind of bullshit, the stuff that is taken to the extreme.

I think the entire eye popping scene from The Scorpion's Tale was pretty disturbing but the most disturbing part was when the squirrel is trying to shove Agnes's eye into a tree hole, just the visual of a small animal pulling someone's eye is extremely unsettling.

Marge raping Homer. It's played like a joke but it's disturbingly accurate right down to Marge saying she wasn't asking before forcing herself on him.

Marge raping Homer. It's played like a joke but it's disturbingly accurate right down to Marge saying she wasn't asking before forcing herself on him.

Honestly I don't get why a wild animal attempting to mate with someone who is only pretending to be their species is worse than a woman raping her own husband and making it clear that she is raping him.

Homer getting stuck in the water slide followed by three kids getting stuck behind him makes me feel really claustrophobic, even though I'm not usually bothered by confined spaces.

I feel more sorry for the kids who get trapped in Homer's blubber in the water slide.

I just saw Let's Go Fly a Coot and the scene where Milhouse says his parents are cousins and then it showed Milhouse with a snake/lizard tongue (can't really tell them apart) honestly the Spuckler family-related incest jokes were already too much, and that was just too far.

Back