Scary Treehouse of Horror

merzitar

. . .
Hi. I thought this could be interesting.
Has anyone ever found a Treehouse of Horror or Part of a Treehouse of Horror to be scary?

When I was younger (around 6 or 7) I thought Treehouse of Horror VII, Part 1: The Thing and I was scary or creepy. But that's the only one.

What about you guys?

One of my first Simpsons memories is of standing behind the couch when I was 6 and THoH VIII was playing. My dad was watching it and The Homega Man was on and it was my bedtime so I was supposed to be asleep, but I was hiding out behind the couch and watching anyway.

And I was getting increasingly creeped out as the episode went on, and by the time it got to the point where Homer's dancing in the church naked and the zombies of the townspeople come... I bailed and dashed to bed and had nightmares about that for the entire week. I specifically remember being absolutely horrified after the bomb had first struck and Homer was callously looking around him, at the guy's (who I now know as Kirk) skeleton in the car and turning to dust... I'm surprised I even made it up to the church, to be honest, haha.

That and I caught a snippet of the end of Nightmare Cafeteria at about the same age and yeah, that was pretty horrifying as well.

Nowadays? None of it's scary - but recalling those two incidents, I can see how some of the segments can be.

s06e06_201.jpg

uh... so disturbing.

Yeah the ending to THOH V is by far the scariest moment in Simpsons history but I have generally been too old for anything to actually frighten me

When I was a kid the endings of "Nightmare Cafeteria" and "Terror at 5½ Feet" would always creep me out.

I remember watching THoH IX in 1998, but I tuned in just when Maggie's legs fell off, which was a little surprising.

THOH has never scared me even when watching the Simpsons from the age of about 6.

Maybe its because pale skinned zombies who only come out at night are common in Britain. But we call them 'Nerds'.

none of them, even when i was a wee youngin.
"nightmare cafeteria" was always one of my favorites though, and I can see it being scary to some. My parents raised me on horror flicks tho, I get way more creeped out by scary novels than anything a/v.

imho the fog that turns people inside out + musical number is one of the best ways they ever ended a THOH. I'd like to know what it was referencing though, if anything. Still, it's great even if you don't know what the allusion is.

no i didn't start watching until i was a little older though, although i do remember one of the first episodes i saw was the blunder years and i was watching it late at night and the part where homer finds the body is the only simpsons scene to ever make me shudder

"Nightmare Cafeteria" is really fucking scary if you think about it. It does a good job of tapping into that "all authority figures are evil" fear that a lot of kids seem to have.

Speaking of THOHV, "The Shinning" is really creepy too. The "No TV and no beer make Homer go crazy" scene is particularly effective, though it's still really funny at the same time.

Back