Reviews - "Treehouse of Horror XII"

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters

Centaur

Junior Camper
I really liked this one. Seemed much more halloweeny than in recent years. I can't go into too much detail yet so as not to spoil. My favorite act was the second act, Pierce did a great job. And one of the acts is a bit gross, you'll know it when you see it.

One for one so far this season! Great job.

This season is shaping up to be really good. I can't wait to see it.

For what it's worth, USA Today really bashed this episode, saying it's the worst THOH ever. Hopefully it wasn't made under the new Al Jean regime if that's true.

Well, USA today can kiss my ass. they're stupid idiots that probably never seen any other THOH episodes before.

Closing this thread until the episode airs so it doesn't get out of hand.

Review "Treehouse of Horror XII"

"Treehouse of Horror XII" will be airing in North America shortly... so post any critiques and opinions regarding it here.

And sorry for closing your earlier thread, Centaur, but Jonah FIynn demanded a poll.

5 minutes and counting

It's airing shortly... post away with any reviews and opinions!

We'll start doing actual polls on Sunday for "The Parent Rap," Jonah.

Review: "Hex and the City"

Heh heh. I thought this one was pretty good. I loved the joke with the Lucky Charms, and with the different creatures living in the hole ("pixie, Katie Couric...). It was always nice to see Kang and Kodos, as usual!

Grade: A- (92%)

Looking forward to the rest of the episode!

Review: "House of Whacks"

Also liked this one a lot. Nice voice over by Pierce Brosnan. Slightly gory, but the gore isn't focused on too much. Some of the lines were pretty good ("Mmm, unexplained bacon...) The much-needed part with Patty and Selma was pretty funny!

Review: "Wiz Kids"

Didn't like this one as much as the other two, but it was still pretty good. Interesting story. There was a much-appreciated appearance by Ralph ("Dying tickles!). Also liked Homer's line "We stayed for your kids!", and Milhouse's lousy magic trick at the recital (what happened was a first!). The wailing wall wasn't bad. I liked that it it didn't go too overboard with the magic stuff.

Grade: B (85%)

Review: Ending Part (over credits)

Pretty funny as well. I missed some of it due to a phone call, but I can watch it again since I recorded the episode. Good anyway.

Overall Episode Grade: A- (90%)

I liked this THOH a lot! Lots of great jokes were packed into this one, and most were pulled off with nicely! Here's to an excellent season! Cheers!

Last edited:
Yes it was, Hex and the city was good.

House of Whacks is starting off pretty good.

I'm looking forward to Wiz Kids 'cause I read the Harry Potter books and are kind of cool, but let's not start a book reviews topic here.

Last edited:
i loved the whole episode and my favorite line was from the first one. "have you tried jesus cause hes like six leprechauns" "yea, but hes harder to catch."

The "House of Whacks" story brought this episode up A LOT! It was very Halloweeny, and had great jokes, and felt like it was well-written. The decorations intro was funny, as well as the end credits. "Wiz Kids" had some good jokes, but ended a bit abruptly. "Hex in the City" was a little too crazy for me, even for a Halloween special. But it was great with Yoda, Kang, and Kodos. Overall, there were A LOT of chuckles, and few laugh out loud moments to make this is good episode. IMO, better than the last two Halloween specials. And I can't believe Matthew Perry did that voice...and I didn't know he was guest-starring in advance!

Hex in the City: 6/10
House of Whacks: 9/10
Wiz Kids: 7/10
Intro: 9/10
Credits: 8/10

OVERALL: 8/10

A-

Hey wuts up fellow Simpsons Fans? I thought tonights Treehouse Of Horror was pretty good, I would give it a A- overall. I liked all 3 parts of the episode. This years Treehouse Of Horror was alot better than last years. I liked the Leprechaun alot, he was very funny especially when he was humming that irish tune. The opening was funny, Homer as Fred Flintstone was hillarious, same with Wilma as Marge. Well thats my opinion on tonights episode, gonna stay logged on to the board to see everyone elses thoughts.

Later,
d0MiNo

Woo hoo!

House of Whack rules! They made a great decision in choosing Pierce Brosnan.

Wiz Kids is excellent, and just in time for the Harry Potter release!

Awesome, I'm going to hit rewind and watch it again before going to bed.

Check out 24!

Oh That Really Covers The Cat Crap

Tremendous Episode, IMO one of the best THOHs of all, I think this is a great outlook for this coming season

did anyone else catch the reference in the "I got Apples" Guy
www.happy-dude.cjb.net for my full opinion i didnt feel like typing it all over

This was better than Season 11 and 12's THOH episodes, IMO.

"House of Whacks" was my favorite, due to an excellent use of Brosnan. Loved the ending to that one with Patty & Selma, and it was the most "Halloweeny," as Jonah said.

"Hex in the City" was solid and was my second favorite. Leprechaun gags in The Simpsons are still gold. The wedding at the end was wacky, but hilarious.

"Wiz Kids" was also solid, but not too memorable. But, the classroom scene was great as was Smithers the snake devouring Burns.

And I wasn't expecting the ending.. good stuff. Grade: A-

Number One said:
This was better than Season 11 and 12's THOH episodes, IMO.

I agree 100%, Eric. This was the third best THoH, ever. Only Five and Nine were better. The only slow spot was the opening, but other than that, it was steller. And as others have said, the credit scene was great.

Hex in the City: A. The randomness and the little jokes in the backgroudn made this one the best of the three, IMO. See the sign on the Gypsy HQ that read: "After hours use automatic teller."? LOL!

House of Whacks: A. Pierce was a hoot and the robotic Gill was neat, too.

Wiz Kids: B+. Nothing wrong with this one other than it was the weakest of the three. Best line: Lisa. "This isn't my wand--It's a Twizzler!"

Jake

definitely a good start to the season.

I can't over the leprachaun......sooo funny. Eric, he now has to be on the "fav THOH character" poll!

And the "unexplained bacon" line was so money!
"Lisa, I'm missing half my head...."

Oh yeah! And in the 3rd act, that "frog prince" that bart conjured up...HA HA HA HA!! It just kept on puking!

There were no nicknames for the writers, voices, etc! WHat's up with that???

The Smithers devouring Burns moment was absolutely hysterical. God was that funny.

House of Whacks was an awesome segment, and the ending was great.

Didn't know if I liked the beginning, though, but still very good overall.

Great episode. A.

USA Today= All Knowing

This is easily THE WORST Treehouse of Horror yet. Homer is even more annoying than ever before. I can count the number of laughs on my hand. Still, it could have been ok if it had some Halloween charm. Instead, it was a string of uninspired stories (Leprechaun and Gypsy?, Harry Potter?) that had nothing to do with Halloween. I was expecting so much thanks to last year's spectacular THOH, but I'm having doubts as to whether or not television's greatest show will ever return to at least half its former glory.

Rowdy, I think you are confusing your THOH episodes. Please correct at your earliest convenience.

Maybe Rowdy was just quoting the USA today. Well, whoever wrote that doesn't realize that it doesn't have to be purely halloween constantly. It's sposed to be crazy, strange, with a mix of halloweeny.

I thought tonight's episode was very cool.

"Hex and the City" was awsome, the Leprechaun Trap scene was awsome.

"House of Whacks" wasn't as funny as Hex and the City but was still very cool.

"Wiz Kids" wasn't what I expected it to be, but it turned out great, actually I understood every bit of that one 'cause of the Harry Potter books. He appeared, as the flaming gum kid, that was Harry Potter.

Overall I give it a 8/10. Very nice work, good THOH episode.

cant wait till it gets to australia.

"Mr Prime minister!" "Andy!"

"Whats the good word mates?"

i didnt like the opening scene as much as some from past years, but it was still decent. hex and the city was great, as was house of whacks. i loved the mmmm unexplained bacon. wiz kids i didnt care for as much but...the snake smithers eating burns...that was his best scene since his women and seamen dont mix line. as for a grade...definitely better than last years and id give it b+/a-

Rowdy, by your logic, the one where homer goes back in time and changes the future is not a halloween episode. And what do killer dolphins have to do with halloween?

Aside from Rowdy's review, the feeling here is pretty consistent - that it was an overall good to very good episode. I don't think I would ever call last year's THOH 'spectacular', Rowdy, but it's your opinion. Plus, you didn't mention House of Whacks, which was VERY Halloweeny and had some gore too. Best of the ep!

My detailed review is posted here:
www.thespringfieldshopper.com/reviewcabf19.htm

I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. Although I thought the plots were a bit unfocused (especially Hex and the City--ending up at the wedding? Nothing was resolved! oh well), there were a lot of laughs.

Many, many really good jokes: the Trix rabbits, Marge covered in hair, Maggie as a cockroach (I'm sure parodying Kafka's Metamorphosis), mmmm...unexplained bacon (it's been a while), British charm plugs (there was a definite British charm motif), Matthew Perry's line had me cracking up, and Smithers the snake devouring Burns--the funniest (and most disturbing) moment of the entire episode!

My biggest complaint is probably that these stories aren't very Halloweenish...not scary. I guess I'm just a fan of the traditional elements: devils, vampires, and zombies. Oh well. Overall very good.

Monkey's paw had nothing to do with halloween. ANything with Kang and Kodos has nothing to do with halloween.

Back