Reasons for episodes to get cut from syndication

Butt-Head

Junior Camper
Homer the Moe: Homer calls Moe a shemale - that's transphobic!

Any episode where Homer strangles Bart or threatens him, i.e, every episode where Homer says, "Why you little!" That's downplaying child abuse!

As someone who's generally a Simpsons fan I can't stand for this dreck any longer.

These are just my made-up reasons. These are just some things that could be cut.
  • "Blood Feud" has a scene cut because Marge telling Homer to strangle himself was considered too brutal.
  • "The Crepes of Wrath" is not in syndication due to Bart being forced to drink with antifreeze being too brutal and politically incorrect on Bart surviving it, as antifreeze is toxic.

Homer the Moe: Homer calls Moe a shemale - that's transphobic!

Any episode where Homer strangles Bart or threatens him, i.e, every episode where Homer says, "Why you little!" That's downplaying child abuse!

As someone who's generally a Simpsons fan I can't stand for this dreck any longer.
So you want over 100 episodes of the show’s history pulled over one scene of Homer strangling Bart in each of them?

Even though I think they way over do it sometimes, the whole point of the gag is that Homer is not the best at parenting and disciplining his children. The show clearly shows Homer is in the wrong and learns things like that due to to his traumatic and neglectful childhood.
It’s not glamorising or downplaying it.

You might as well cancel Family Guy is well since Peter Griffin finds a new way to abuse his family every few episodes.

City Of New York vs Homer Simpson because, well you probably know. Apparently The Cartridge Family was banned from syndication in Britain because of the subject matter, as guns are much more restricted there.

It probably isn't just about the touchy matter that got the Cartridge Family banned. It's probably more so the timing. Cartridge Family first aired during a period where the UK was just starting to ban guns after a horrific shooting (I think it was a school?).

For a period in Australia, the first 4 seasons were not in syndication, not sure why this is.

City Of New York vs Homer Simpson because, well you probably know. Apparently The Cartridge Family was banned from syndication in Britain because of the subject matter, as guns are much more restricted there.
I am from the UK, The Cartridge Family was added back to syndication a few years after with heavy censorship such as cutting out Bart pointing the gun at Milhouse and the ending being edited to make it look like Marge threw away the gun instead of keeping it.

The only way to watch the unedited version is on Disney+ or DVD.

It probably isn't just about the touchy matter that got the Cartridge Family banned. It's probably more so the timing. Cartridge Family first aired during a period where the UK was just starting to ban guns after a horrific shooting (I think it was a school?).

For a period in Australia, the first 4 seasons were not in syndication, not sure why this is.
That would be the Dunblane Massacre, which happened only a year before the Cartridge Family aired, in which 18 people were killed. It's the deadliest school shooting in the UK to date and is the reason they banned handguns.

You might as well cancel Family Guy is well since Peter Griffin finds a new way to abuse his family every few episodes.
You can even say that Peter is even worse as a father, especially with his constant bullying to Meg. Even “Jerkass Homer” wasn’t THAT cruel in my opinion, Peter in real life would be charged dozens of times for domestic child abuse.

Also, hasn’t he stopped strangling Bart since like season 22 or something? I remember an episode where he was taught by a counselor to control himself from physically punishing Bart

Easy, "Beware My Cheating Bart". There are also a lot of episodes with jokes that haven't aged well, mainly homophobic & transphobic jokes such as "Homer the Moe" & "There's Something About Marrying" could also be seen as transphobic and homophobic.

I don't remember what the episode is called, but the episode where Homer is on drugs could easily be one pulled from syndication. Maybe Natural Born Kissers & Pixelated and Afraid too, although they could easily air late at night.

Honestly, its a hard topic to think about cause if you pull an episode from syndication on any TV Series, not just Simpsons, there's going to be angry people about it, just look at "Stark Raving Dad". Not to mention, its pretty hard to thread carefully when it comes to these topics, as I am typing, I'm afraid that I'll say something wrong.

The episode about Homer on drugs was Weekend At Burnsie's. But, they actually never showed the joint touching his lips when he was about to smoke it. That was the compromise the censors settled on.

From what I know, it was temporarily delayed from reairing due to the contents of the episode and when it was planned to be reaired (sometime post-9/11)

The episode about Homer on drugs was Weekend At Burnsie's. But, they actually never showed the joint touching his lips when he was about to smoke it. That was the compromise the censors settled on.
I think FOX do that for all of their shows because all scenes of drug usage in Family Guy is off-screen like when Peter tried to get Chris to try meth.

The only expectation may be edibles since Bob and Linda from Bob’s Burgers had an episode where they ate weed cookies and it was on-screen.

^^Yeah they did do that with Family Guy too. I seem recall them showing the Evil Monkey rolling a joint with the intent to smoke it, but I don't think they actually showed him smoking it.

There are also a lot of episodes with jokes that haven't aged well, mainly homophobic & transphobic jokes such as "Homer the Moe" & "There's Something About Marrying" could also be seen as transphobic and homophobic.
A big offender is when Hank Azaria gives gay men like Julio that horrible stereotypical Carribean-sounding accent. Though I will admit I thought it sounded funny in the "Gay-O" song from "There's Something About Marrying".

Back