Really exploring The Simpons

Lisa Lionheart

Big Heart
Earlier today there was a thread (now closed) titled "Ned's Wang", now I admit the title is crude, but as the thread progressed, it wasn't really about Ned Flander's private parts, it was about the use of overt nudity/sexuality on the show. I think the thread could have explored some interesting issues such as "Is the show written more for children or adults?" and since the show is watched by both kids and adults "How much 'raunchy' humor is appropriate, if any?"

The Simpsons has lasted so long because it takes on a wide variety of issues and does so in a very funny and entertaining way. And I think it's really cool when this bulletin board explores this side of the show.

Okay.. now that I've said that please feel free to move or close this thread! ;)

Good topic, something I can get behind because it's what we're looking for on this board--actual discussion. =)

I think there's a limit to what works when it comes to nudity, sex, and raunchiness in a show like "The Simpsons". Some people say that art should never be limited. That's true enough. But TV has to work within certain parameters. You can't turn off your audience. You have to appeal to the masses. If you want to really say something, it can't be just to the so-called elite, so you have to soften things sometimes. I think showing Flanders' genitals, even blurred, was a big step in the wrong direction. It didn't do anything for the scene and actually made it less funny (I was about to laugh at first, then I saw the whole picture and raised a surprised eyebrow instead).

the show has always been making raunchy jokes ever since day one and ever since hen, sex on t.v in any form (as in anyway of presenting it... Sex jokes, sex scenes, raunchy dialogue etc.) has been increasing and still is today. Kids and teens are more exposed to the subject than ever before and the show goes along with it just like every other t.v show now. The Simpsons has never shocked (maybe it has, because after all, it is a cartoon and people still dub cartoons as " kiddie " material) or " crossed " any line with the use of sexual content (it did when it first started out but now its nothing compared to other shows) and if it did, well... The general public have to bear in mind that the show isn't for just for children. The majority of its viewers are teens and adults. My point is, when comparing to other shows and other primetime cartoons alike (King Of The Hill, Futurama etc..), its not that controversial or even as raunchy.

Shows such as The Simpsons are obviously written for adults, but in such a way that the younger generation can understand what's going on, but not necessarily some of the cruder sexual references/jokes. Altogether an interesting style which has developed through the past few decades.

Marge and Homer's sex life has been the subject of more than one episode, and we've seen Homer naked on a number of occasions (although we've been spared the sight of his 'wang'). I personally never found any of those episodes raunchy or offensive. I expect a certain amount of raunchiness from 'The Family Guy' and it's the whole reason I watch 'South Park'. Recent episodes of The Simpsons have been testing the limits, perhaps in an attempt (more by Fox than the producers, i think) to attract that audience. I hope that they realize that we ARE that audience, but that we watch The Simpsons in a different way and with a different mindset than we watch those other programs (...at least i do).

Last edited:
Something to think about, though: "Alone Again, Natura-Diddly" is the first time, as far as I've seen, that prime-time television showed a man's genitals so obviously (certainly the first time on an an animated series).

I've always considered The Simpsons an adult show. It's not for kids.
(Waits to be flamed.)

Aaron said:
Shows such as The Simpsons are obviously written for adults, but in such a way that the younger generation can understand what's going on, but not necessarily some of the cruder sexual references/jokes. Altogether an interesting style which has developed through the past few decades.

Actually, to the contrary of your point, I think these newfound "crude" sexual jokes are directed toward the younger generation. Most of the adults I know don't like tasteless sexuality, most kids think being gay is funny (the creators keep making people gay, and more than anything making fun of them for it). I suppose I am a kid, but I don't appreciate any of this.

I think this is a rather disturbing trend that episodes from Seasons 11+ have been following. There are certain things I don't want to see on the Simpsons because I think it takes a lot away from the show. I don't want to see fart jokes, boob jokes, sex jokes, and tasteless humor (tasteless to most people, anyway) anymore. That's what other shows do (many lame SitComs, South Park, and Family Guy) and I don't think the Simpsons should do it. That's catering to the lowest common denominator, and that's not what the Simpsons used to do. Fortunately, there have been some steps in the right direction, but there have also been some steps in the wrong direction (the Spring Break stuff in "Kill the Alligator and Run", the stuff that was mentioned in "Alone Again, Natura-Diddly", some stuff in "Brother's Little Helper", as well as other stuff in Season 11+ episodes). They need to do what the used to do in earlier seasons (tone Homer down, show him at work more, don't make characters say/do things they didn't used to say/do, and keep immature jokes out of the Simpsons.) I know some people might like these newer episodes for the same reason that others hate them, so I guess we will continue to see a mix of stuff that new fans will probably like, and stuff that fans from the beginning will like. Personally, I'd like them to try to appeal more to the fans since the beginning since I'm one of them, but they probably won't do that.

1. Sex sells (like you haven't heard that before)

2. It is probably intended for adults/younger kids, but it's not meant to not be for kids (that should make sense).

That's what I think.

Back