Rate the Rating Systems

which one kicks balls?

• Total voters
You know this title is going to be mentioned in that Off Topic thread about the Simpsons part of the board, right :lol:?

I'm voting for 1/10 - 10/10, which is the system I use.

I like the ones where they use quotes or people names like the one that used rosie o donnel as the lowest rating while portia d'rosi as the highest rating

F-A+ is the perfect compromise between not being overly general but also not frustrating yourself with too detailed a system IMO.

wow, now this is tricky, it's certainly a contest between F-A+ and 1-5 and whilst both have their own advantages and disadvantages i believe i'm going to go with the F-A+ option.

1-5 is good, and is most definately useful for when you're deciding on a score for a quick review. obviously 5 choices are smaller than 18 and i feel for the people who are not quite sure on their final outcome, this could be the better option. not only does it provide an easy, fast way of scoring, but it also makes it easier for people to skim down through. sure, people can read B- or C+, but numbers can be deciphered much faster, letting intersted readers immeidiately know you're own thoughts and feelings are on the episode. however, what i believe to be the main disadvantage is that it's just too vague if you're a person who really takes their reviews seriously and wants to give the fairest, closest score possible. imagine if you think an episode is slightly above average, let's say for example the colour yellow. you can't give it a 3, because that's too low, 3 is the average, middle of the road. but then again you can't give it 4 because that's too high and you're giving it too much praise. you could piss around with 3.5's but if thats the case, what's the point of using these numbers anyway, you might as well as start using 3.25 or 3.125.

that's where F-A+ comes in - and it's just better. whilst it might not give someone instant knowledge of your opinion, and might take a bit longer to figure out, it's worth it for it's sheer conciseness. now for the above example, if it's slightly better than average, you could give it not just a C, but a C+, or even a B-, it's gives you freedom, not like the communist styles of 1-5's, you're not held back, you're free to choose for a wide range of options and fit them to your own examples and reviews. it works - it's used by schools, giving a sign of it's clarity and usefulness. if scholars and professionals can use it, why can't we? forget 1-5's, F-A+'s are the way ahead.

Last edited:
Personally, I use another system : 1/20 - 20/20, which is commonly used in France (with also the system of qwertyuio). For me, this system is more precise than x/5 and the letters.

1/10-10/10. It lets me express my ideas and register my disgust clearer than on the 1-5 scale.

1/5 to 5/5 is the one I like the best. When you have too many numbers on a scale, the difference between the numbers diminishes too much. When you look at those scores out of 100, what really is the difference between an episode getting a 74 and a 75?

When you do 1/10 to 10/10, you're too tempted to do half-points and make the score out of 20. And again, what would be the difference between a 15/20 episode and a 16/20 episode? Not all that much.

5/5 is the best thing since sliced bread.

I like 5/5 for episode ratings, followed by a letter grade in the post if the user feels like clarifying. That's typically how I do it, anyway, with the scale essentially being 5 = A, 4 = B, 3 = C, 2 = D and 1 = F, with the +/-'s as the areas in-between (a 3.5 would be a B-, for instance). But for the poll itself, it's much cleaner to have 5 choices.

I like 5/5 for episode ratings, followed by a letter grade in the post if the user feels like clarifying. That's typically how I do it, anyway, with the scale essentially being 5 = A, 4 = B, 3 = C, 2 = D and 1 = F, with the +/-'s as the areas in-between (a 3.5 would be a B-, for instance). But for the poll itself, it's much cleaner to have 5 choices.

yep, this exactly. the numbered system just makes it easier to understand immediately. and as you know, I take liberal use of giving half points, mostly because I can't be as blunt all the time with just five choices. but, yes, the poll needs only five choices, and I just round up (or down), depending on which way I'm leaning stronger towards.

simple concept, works easily, has for years. done.

And again, what would be the difference between a 15/20 episode and a 16/20 episode? Not all that much.

Some people, including myself, have very discriminating tastes, and can be very picky and specific about episode ratings.

I'm not big in rating.
It's easier to express thoughts about something.
Putting a grade onto it is so... teachery.

I choose Jake to D'ohmer whatever that means.

1/5 to 5/5 is the one I like the best. When you have too many numbers on a scale, the difference between the numbers diminishes too much. When you look at those scores out of 100, what really is the difference between an episode getting a 74 and a 75?

When you do 1/10 to 10/10, you're too tempted to do half-points and make the score out of 20. And again, what would be the difference between a 15/20 episode and a 16/20 episode? Not all that much.

5/5 is the best thing since sliced bread.

Expect that when you put 5/5 at one episode, we don't see the difference between an episode which is "only" very good, and an episode which is one of your favorites of all-time. You maybe can't see the difference between a 15/20 and a 16/20, but for me it exists. This system is more linear than 1/5 to 5/5, and more precise than the F to A+ system IMO.

/5 works best for polls, while my /15 system allows me to show the difference between episodes that are good to great to fantastic. Also, I don't know the percentages associated with 15 off the top of my head, so I don't associate the percentage with a letter grade like I would for 5, 10, or 20. (also, I stole this rating system from some guy's music review site)

I used to give out letter grades, but always ended up giving A's to everything because of how I was raised--in my family, it better damn well be an A, Bs are mediocre and are only acceptable sometimes, C and below might as well be an F

Back