Rate "The Lastest Gun in the West" (DABF07)

How would you rate "The Latest Gun in the West"?

• F (Horrible)

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • D (Poor)

Votes: 60 28.4%
  • C (Meh)

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • B (Good episode)

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • A (Woo hoo!)

Votes: 15 7.1%

• Total voters

eric

wants to be a nacho man
Administrator
Post your thoughts & feelings about tonight's new Simpsons episode in this thread.

"The Latest Gun in the West" >>> Dennis Weaver, whose nearly 50-year career on TV includes Gunsmoke, McCloud and Gentle Ben, provides the voice of Buck McCoy, an old cowboy star who becomes Bart's new hero.

They first meet after a stray dog chases Bart onto the grounds of Buck's mansion. Bart becomes pals with the horse-opera great, who later visits the Simpsons and brings along video highlights of his career. With Bart's help, it's not long before a Western craze sweeps Springfield Elementary, and he and Lisa land Buck a guest spot on Krusty the Clown's TV show. This could be Buck's big shot at a comeback, but it's not only his career that's in need of rehabilitation."

No sir, I didn't like it. An episode just revolving around Bart's conflict with the dog would have been more entertaining.

I just don't like westerns or anything western/coyboy related. Except 'Unforgiven' that was good.

This could be an isolated opinion, but I thought this was a VERY good episode. It showed Bart and Grandpa great, and had a believable plot.

A+

I thought it was pretty good. I happened to like the last 2 better, but this one is up to par with the way Season 13 is going.

Anyone notice tonights Americas Firefighter reference?

Ouch, that episode sucked...A few laughs, stupid, STUPID plot....I don't know what they were thinking, killer dog? Hoemr being jealous? man, one of the worst eps ever, although it did have like 4 laughs...Why can't we just have one good ep? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yeah, um.. this was possibly the stupidest episode ever.

First act:
Bart gets chased by a dog the whole time in Rockos Modern Life fasion. Need I say more?? That segmant was, without a doubt, the stupidest and lowest thing the Simpsons have EVER done.

The rest of the ep had a couple decent laughs (so, in conclusion, this barely constitutes as news.), but really had no point at all. All of a sudden, Bart thinks cowboys are cool, Homer is jealous for absolutely no reason... ugh.. just STUPID.

Mr. Jean isn't doing a very good job. At least most of Scully's plots weren't written like a Nickelodeon cartoon.

Last edited:
Though I really didn't want to (because Al Jean is holy etc etc blah blah), I voted this one a F.

One of the first episodes that I really didn't find anything at all funny in. The plot looks so-so on paper, however it plays out worse than could be imagined. It started slow and went down from there. They spent the entire first act on something that could have been done in a minute, and at the end there were to many loose connections at a standstill (Springfield elementry's western obsession, the killer dog becoming killer again). I really don't want to have to endure that one again.

I hate this new humor that they try to poke fun at themselves (Homer saying he hasn't had a wacky adventure yet), they fail at the concept and for me it cheapens the whole show.

Last edited:
I thought that this episode was the Worst of the Season. It had very very few jokes that were funny. The first scene was a complete waste of time. We didn't need to see Bart get chased by a dog for almost 5 minutes straight - which had zero to do with the plot. I thought that this episode would try to be a struggle to make the cowboy famous again and appear on the Krusty the Klown show. Instead, he was easily persuaded to go on the show, and was on the show for all of 30 seconds - which were not funny. There were a couple funny lines in the episode such as, Milhouse's "I'm the dominant one." And I liked it when the police officers said slink away boys, slink away. I really didn't find this episode funny.

Don't expect my usual good review this week. I voted Poor. I found it contained almost every Scully era problem, and I maybe chuckled twice. The ending was terrible too, and ..ugh..i dont even wanna talk about it. My faith is fading. Al, please explain what the deal with that episode was.

i have mixed feelings about this episode. it wasnt good and it wasnt bad. the beginning was pointless & the plot was getting to me. not many jokes

Now I know I'm weird... I didn't like last week's episode that much, but this week's was great IMO. Some awesome Homer moments, and I thought the plot was very good. The humor has... err... humorous.

"Get me Buck McCoy" "Dad, I'm on the line!"

"A dog tore my clothes" "Nice try, but we're still going to Riverdance!"

Kay, um, this stuff definitely beats last week's, which wasn't that funny and didn't have a great plot...

I think that the best word to describe this episode is: meh. Nothing really bad, but not really all that funny.

Tomacco said:
Don't expect my usual good review this week. I voted Poor. I found it contained almost every Scully era problem, and I maybe chuckled twice. The ending was terrible too, and ..ugh..i dont even wanna talk about it. My faith is fading. Al, please explain what the deal with that episode was.

I voted Horrible. I would actually add that episode to the list that includes "Simpson Safari" as episodes I do not wish to see again.

Personally, I thought it was a good episode with some good laughs, but once again it felt rushed, and the timing of the three acts was unbalanced. I liked the chalkboard gag (MAKING MILHOUSE CRY IS NOT A SCIENCE PROJECT :lol: )

Very solid and believable plot here. Lots of great, great Cowboy/Western jokes (The trick horse shooting, his shooting hippies in the 70's, et al). At first, I thought the dog chase went on too long. But, stangely enough, the while episode seemed longer than usual.

Very good show. A 4/5;A- from me. :)

or_smth said:
Though I really didn't want to (because Al Jean is holy etc etc blah blah), I voted this one a F.

See, this is a huge problem with most of you guys. You think Al Jean is a freakin' god when most of his episodes have been just like the Scully era episodes, and some, like tonights, 5 times worse. The only reason everyone thinks Al Jean is a God is because of all the hype that was generated for him (by you guys) back when Scully left.

Kalbelgarion said:
Very solid and believable plot here. Lots of great, great Cowboy/Western jokes (The trick horse shooting, his shooting hippies in the 70's, et al). At first, I thought the dog chase went on too long. But, stangely enough, the while episode seemed longer than usual.

A few minutes wasted are worse than a few more minutes of commercials. They really had to stretch to get the time they did on that episode. It is really what is going to drag down the season.

That episode. . . sucked. I can't believe it but that episode was worse than "The Blunder Years" making it the Worst Episode of the Season. I laughed twice at the most. Tonight started out good with two very good King of the Hill episodes -- hate to say it but both King of the Hill kicked the Simpsons ass tonight. :( I'll have a more detailed review later. I haven't voted yet either, but if I did, right now it'd be for a D. Hopefully it will seem better upon a second viewing.

Yikes, was this an uneven episode. The first act was probably the worst first act in history, the second act was actually pretty good with the most laughs/plot, but the third act slid after Krusty was shot. Basically it went like this:

Act One: F-
Act Two: B+
Act Three: C

Overall grade: C+

Also, was it me, or was the commercial with Homer reaching under the bed for "little Homer" not in the actual episode?

------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, King of the Hill's grades:

The Rennisance (sp) fair ep: B+. Funnier of the two, but Peggy was her usual annoying self.

The Branson ep: A-. More character driven and it featured Mike Scully's earlier efforts: Yakov Smearnov.

InanimateCarbonRod said:

See, this is a huge problem with most of you guys. You think Al Jean is a freakin' god when most of his episodes have been just like the Scully era episodes, and some, like tonights, 5 times worse. The only reason everyone thinks Al Jean is a God is because of all the hype that was generated for him (by you guys) back when Scully left.

When I said Al jean is holy "blah blah blah" I was actually trying to poke fun at some people in this board. I would almost take Simpsons Safari over that one. If we tried to be as un-biased towards jean as possible, we'd probably get some nifty opinions :).

whoa, what's with the good/horrible reviews? no in betweeners, the ep sucked! maybe people who like westerns like the ep as for worst of the season? I say Jaws Wired Shut was worse...

Yikes, these reviews are harsher than I would have guessed!

Last edited:
How is this episode like a "Scully-era" episode? It didn't really contain any of the major Scully-era problems...

-Insane screaming
-Graphic scenes
-Homer-based adventure
-Shameless use of guest stars
-Wacky, non-real life problems

Nope, virtually none of that in tonights episode.

A solid A, and a bullseye hit for both the writer of this episode and Al Jean. I too hate Westerns, but this episode made fun of their absurdity near perfectly, with jokes like "We were only on for a year but made 360 episodes", "I just shot hippies", and the commercial being targeted only to children who were already heavy drinkers. It was heavily seasoned with great jokes throughout, and the writing didn't suffer from the overwriting and over-fast pacing of some newer episodes. The storyline was well-developed and the subplot of Homer wanting Bart to worship him, and not Buck McCoy was smoothly integrated. Some other great parts were: The entire scenes inside his manse, I made a biscuit for the dog", "Little Grampa Simpson", "We don't take kindly to transvestite Chimpanzees", Ralph as the "dominant one", "His little brother is really a pinecone", branded a quitter, the alcoholic painting, and the Snake bit. I love the use of minor characters like Ralph, Dr. Foster, Janey, Krusty, Mr. Teeny, Snake, Milhouse, and Kent Brockman as well. A smooth, funny, and well-written episode that's a bit like the old times.

Back