Rate & Review: "Treehouse of Horror XXXIII" (UABF18)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters
I wouldn't say it went over my head. I already knew about Lisa The Boy Scout going for something similar (though I haven't seen that one), and right from the re-animation of Marge vs. The Monorail, I pretty much knew what I was in for. However, just because I got the idea of the premise doesn't mean I think it was welldone. The references still didn't help actually building a suspenseful or engaging story, and felt more just like forced and annoying fan service. The monorail bit alone basically consists of two guys raving about how funny Marge vs. The Monorail is, and later on we get a group of people trying to force Homer to recreate the bush scene from Homer Loves Flanders again. It's a celebratory showcase of the show's legacy without any real satire of clever commentary to go along with it, and the few attempts that are there still feel "mechanical" if you pardon the pun. I chuckled at the army of Ralph robots going "I choo-choo-choose you" since that actually took an old joke and turned it on its head, but other than that it largely felt like the references and celebration of those references themselves was the joke.
I think that Lisa the Boy Scout is a lot more pointed with its use of references, because they really are all in service of the discussion around the show's cultural impact and change in quality. That's something I'd more directly compare to Behind the Laughter. I think that Simpsonsworld is a lot more shallow than that and is definitely meant to be the fun capper after the first 2 stories, but I do think there's meat there about the fandom and how it looks back at memes and iconic moments, or how earnest shows can get turned into products with popularity. I dont think there's a through line throughout the entire part though and it's definitely mostly about having a fun sequence imo, which is fine. Like, is the Bob's Burgers crossover at the end just a fun crossover thing or are we supposed to look at it as other shows going down the path of the Simpsons? I really dont know if that's an intentional reading, while I can see everything in Lisa the Boy Scout or Behind the Laughter as intentional, for comparison.

The first segment in my opinion was pretty underrated in my opinion. I have no clue why people are complaining about this segment being the weakest; they have their own opinions I guess. Anyway, It was great to see Maggie as a major character in the story. Nothing more to be said. 5/5

The second segment, which itself was a parody of Death Note was much better than I anticipated it being. I'm still 13 episodes into the Death Note anime, and I have no interest to watch the Netflix adaption. Lisa's VA really fits an anime girl, so I'll give them brownie points for that. I know that there was a comic adaption for the anime in one of the Treehouse of Horror comics, but I haven't read it yet. [SPOILER="Actually, I've gone through a couple of pictures of it online and after looking at them, I find the show's adaption to be much better."][/SPOILER] 5/5

The third segment. Oh boy, before this aired, they announced that they were going to do something the show itself hasn't done before, and they've done it. Having the characters realize that they are a part of a show was more of a The Truman Show homage rather than Westworld. I don't know if it's a combination of both projects but whatever it was, I liked this segment the most. Homer shoving people into bushes and killing them instantly was what made my day that week. I could replay that part several times if I wanted to. 5/5

Jims did a great job with that Death Tome video (as expected). I had expected more of a straightforward review and analysis of the animated segment, but I did really enjoy how he instead did a comparison review of the comics version vs. the TV version. I haven't read the comics' homage in the 'Treehouse of Horror' comic so I cannot compare the two, but I still find the latter ('Death Tome') excellent.

To find something to criticize of the review, I think it felt a little strange he described the segment as "laborious" when I thought it was handled and paced perfectly. I liked the approach to setting things up, letting the story build and play out (with deaths here and there) instead of something more chaotic and messy with more mayhem and death (makes me think of how many modern 'Treehouse' segments often go with style over substance, using deaths, blood & gore as a crutch), but yeah, it really depends on what one wants out of this parodic story.

I just thought I'd point out that while it doesn't really matter (as we've discussed in regards to what external sites think), the episode is up to a whoppin 8.4 at IMDB as of now, which makes it one of the best scoring episodes of the HD era on that site (I'm guessing it is time to update the original post from the 7.8 from November 13, @Brad Lascelle).

I think it is a clear sign at how effective this episode was and how well it did with audiences as a whole, not just for the die hard fans of the series. I think it's safe to say it's a bit of a modern masterpiece and one which anyone skeptical about the modern era should watch (at least to see the show at its best in its current state).

Last edited:
Pretty good. I don't remember the last treehouse when all the segments were consistently quality. I like how all the segment titles aren't very clever… big "the shinning" energy

the pookadook - wonderful how it builds on marge's character, and it's nice to have maggie in a central role. legitimately a bit unsettling seeing marge simpson trying to murder her baby

death tome - a joy to look at, I was surprised to learn they only passed it off to dr movie in march of this year… simpsons writers stop giving your animators short deadlines challenge!!! kept seeing people on twitter praising how the shot of lisa's room matches light's room… sorry but I don't think it's that impressive to match a shot in this day and age. I was worried they'd spend too much time explaining the premise instead of jokes but I think they proved me wrong, it felt like a complete story and I was impressed how using lisa in the light role makes so much sense. that said, I kinda miss the broad "bear is driving how can that be!" style of parody versus today's gaijin trying to impress you with the breadth of their anime knowledge. also, lisa and homer canonically have blue eyes (mentioned by spud, they become visible to us when homer imagines her as a pink-skinned freak, noted on his drivers license)… may whoever made that blunder feel kira's wrath

simpsons world - fantastic. the kind of thing literally only the simpsons can do. lol at them sneaking in the grumple like he's a beloved simpsons character. I see you.

big laugh at Harry "MJ who?" Shearer

Last edited:
Wasn’t a fan of the first segment, but the other two were surprisingly good by Modern Simpsons standards. Probably the best episode we’ve had in quite a while.

7/10

Well, that's great. Hope it wins. Feeling kinda bad for 'Simpsonsworld' for not being represented with a screenshot (while 'Death Tome' gets 3 out of 4 so it does feel overrepresented despite having earned its popularity).

For my money best Threehouse of Horror since like season 16! The last ThreeHouse of Horror I trully loved was the one that had Homer as Dr. Seuss and since then they just felt lazy and poor on ideas... This one was very refreshing with some great concepts and gags. The third segment was the weakest and I wish anime one shown more Simpsons characters in anime fashion but it was still great expirance! More like this one please!

For me this has to be best Treehouse of Horror in a very long time. I can't even remember when was the last time I enjoyed all three segments. What I hate about modern halloween episodes is that they even don't try to tell horror stories, just random weird concepts that can't be realized in normal episodes, also most of them feel generic. But this one is just full of creativity, every segment is pure fun and I like how different they are - first one is 100% horror, second one is great both in terms of animation and story, the third one is the weakest for me (just reference after reference) but still it's one of those episodes where you can trully tell they had a lot of fun working on. Best episode of season 34.
5/5

Live-rewatching with re-esrimation out of my 100 scale
story/horror/absurdity/comedy/references

1. «The Pookadook» - Great segment. I'd can describe every grate moment of it starting from scary atmosphere and ending the tearful scene how Maggie frees Marge.🥹 I just say it's a something hadn't been done before, and worked very well.
    20/19/20/18/20 - 97/100. Probably the best THOH segment ever!
  2. «Death Tome» - Apart pf great animetion style, the story isn't very entertaining. Yeah, it was interesting to see the montage of creative murders, but as wacky Steve Johnson said "I thought Lisa would resist a little"
    14/16/18/14/18 - 80/100
  3. «Simpsons World» - Hilarious meta-tribute😂. No sence, just references, delivered in hyperbolic "we're not real" story. My favourite moment is Lisa's self-awareness
    16/15/19/19/18 - 87/100
  4. Wraparound - Short, but very terrific and effective.

TOTAL (in average) 88/100 (5/5, rounded up from 4.5, or B+) GREAT!

Not a single word on 'The Pookadook', rats. But I get it, the other two segments feel less regular for such an episode and would probably get someone's focus at first sight more easily.

It still amazes me that this Treehouse of Horror managed to get consensus from roughly everyone, and fans from different generations. Even 'Pixelated and Afraid' and 'Halloween of Horror' probably didn't have the same impact in terms of general reception I feel, this one has got something so special to it. Man, will it be a tough act to follow.

This was an incredible Treehouse of Horror and I regret not checking this one out sooner, but considering it's October again, this was definitely the right time to finally watch it.

The Pookadook
this first segment felt like a genuine horror short, like how the classic era would do these, the animation, the sound design, the humor, all blended into this very nicely, and it showed very good understanding of Marge's character, creating for a great mix of horror and the usual Simpsons heart, also wrapped up in a parody of a horror movie that I really love, this is definitely the most underrated segment of the 3.

Death Tome
This segment had amazing animation and humor, never seen Death Note but like.. I didn't need to see it to appreciate the segment so props for that, my favorite part had to be the ending, which was really creative, and once again, the animation was just peak, it's like they took one of those experimental couch gags and made it into an entire Treehouse of Horror short, which is definitely a good thing.

Simpsonsworld
The third and final segment was the best one in my opinion (and the fact this decision was difficult really is a statement to how amazing this episode is), Simpsonsworld was filled with great references and all, but the best aspect of it was the fact the references didn't feel pointless or handfisted, they used the references to craft great meta-commentary on the state of the show and it's legacy as a whole. It's as if they took the idea of "Zombie Simpsons" and how much people tend to compare the newer episodes to the old ones, and made it into the driving force of "horror" here, like yeah, it's not scary in a normal way, but I guess from a more metaphorical standpoint, constantly being in a loop of being compared to the legacy of the older seasons and trying to break free from that and be unique can be quite scary in of itself. The fact I can get all this from what on the surface could've just been a classic era pandering segment shows the amount of writing talent that went into this.

As a whole, I love how different each segment was, each having their own unique strengths that add up to an episode filled with interesting ideas, horror and brilliant animation, which is miles better than whatever the fuck S33's TOH was.
5/5

And to rank the segments:
1. Simpsonsworld
2. The Pookadook
3. Death Tome
All 3 segments were fantastic though so this ranking doesn't really mean much.

honestly don't understand how this Treehouse was partly written and showran by the same person who wrote Treehouse 22, i suppose you learn a thing or two within 11 or so years

@Altairia The time and quality aren't static and despite having some not so outstanding episodes in, let's say, 2010s, Carolyn Omine now is considered as one of the best writers.

That's why I'm looking only on past 3 years while estimating the crew quality.

Just rewatched this episode for a little project of mine (also because, y'know, I love it and all) and noticed that there's a slitghtly alternative variant of the end credits that happen after the little Kang and Kodos epilogue instead of at the same time.

Probably a useless fact, but gotta appreciate the long version of the succession of snippets from the great score of this Treehouse (and also, Castellaneta's alternative credit fully commiting to the Shining reference).

Last edited:

That was a longer and more thorough interview than I thought it would be, haha.

But anyhow, wonderful in-dept behind the scenes story on 'Death Tome'. Always nice to hear that so much love and care went into the making of the segment (and absolutely the rest of the episode too). Based Omine is always informative and lay it out so well.

(And I too hope to see more guest animators and animation styles being utilized by the show).

To be honest, I hope so too. Because that would certainly be fun if something like that would happen on The Simpsons again

It still depresses me to know that regardless of the quality of this year's THOH, we are not going to have the impressive level of coverage and behind-the-scenes detail that this episode had.

Happy Halloween y'all !

Given the nice words some of you guys said about my Pixelated and Afraid video review back when I shared it, I guess there's no reason to be shy about sharing my last one on this certified HD Halloween classic. If the automatic subtitles still do the trick to you, I hope you enjoy.

(My apologies to any Kill Gil fan.)

I do believe that it's gonna be Matt Selman's turn to live-tweet this year's Treehouse of Horror, since it's co-run by Briain Kelley. More like, Brian Skelley-ton... Then hopefully it might be either Rob LaZebnik's turn or Tim Long's turn to co-run next year's Treehouse of Horror (although I wanna say it could be LaZebnik's turn to co-run another Treehouse of Horror for next year, but we'll see). That said, I'm sure THOH XXXIV would also be an another great THOH like last year's

Oh, here's more behind the scenes talk about Treehouse of Horror XXXIII from back in 2022:

It's really interesting to know that Rob Oliver already started to work on THOH XXXIV the day after THOH XXXIII aired last year

Last edited:
Back