Rate & Review: "Treehouse of Horror XXXIII" (UABF18)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters
Tbh if Death Tome didn't have Bart or Steve around, it would've been really dull. She depends on having foils for something like this and, well, this time she did. Compare to something like Dead Ringer where there's no joke to the villain at all and anyone that would make a funny or interesting foil is killed immediately...

I do like those few occasions where Bart and Lisa are compared and the former is the lighter side... well the final line sunk it but otherwise. Having Lisa be the ruthless one adds an interesting wrinkle in their dynamic compared to the usual "Lisa=smart and good, Bart=evil and dumb" even if it does last less than two minutes. It's what worked so well about Dial N for Nerder.

Still, I wonder if most people (including me, tbh) would have been a lot more sour on this segment if it was animated in exactly the same style as usual. It's kinda funny actually that the Pookadook is getting praised though when it's got to compete with an extremely attention-grabbing gimmick and a plethora of callbacks. But I'm glad it is, it absolutely deserves it and it's good that a lot of people aren't just writing it off for being more traditional.

Oh, speaking of, I'm pretty sure the Lisa Homer picks out in Simpsons World was from Lisa's Rival but The Telltale Heart was Allison's diorama, not hers. Z--/100000 I hope someone died for that blunder /jk

Speaking of 'Death Tome', I think there's many details and background stuff one that isn't easily spotten on the first viewing. For instance, I missed the Sherri & Terri background cameo when I saw it and only realised they were in it when I saw @Venomrabbit's current avatar and then saw a screenshot of it in an external forum where the episode was discussed (though I did spot Ned Flanders & Horatio McCallister (Sea Captain) in the shot where Lisa was walking down the street right before the news report on the jumbotron).

Speaking of character appearances in that segment, I'm a little surprised they were sparse with having reconizeable ones. I expected more familiar faces, but there were few and there was a lot of original no-name characters (such as in the death montage), but I did like this choice as having too many cameos probably would've taken focus away from the plot, which was the most important).

Last edited:
Well, it is a shame not to see more... but if I was any good at art, I'd totally try and fill that void.

@Venomrabbit, It would be cool to see a fan art professional take a shot at drawing a 'The Simpsons' cast poster in the art style of 'Death Tome' (with those portrayed in the segment obviously included). Doesn't have to include all characters in the show (which would be literal murder for the artist), just the more well known and popular important characters (main and secondary).

Treehouse Of Horror XXXIII 6.9/10

The Pookadook 7.2/10

I was a bit scared over how this one would turn out. Marge's voice has been unlistenable for years now, and The Babadook is such a fantastic horror movie trying to adapt it for a segment is a daunting task.

If you look at it as an adaptation of the movie, it's kind of poor. What made the original premise so creepy is that the child being incredibly disturbed is what drew the mom to madness eventually. While here Maggie is her usual innocent self, and there are no underlying psychological reasons for Marge to turn. Instead it's only about a demon corrupting her and nothing more.

But if you look at it as its own story, it works a little better. The first two minutes are tough to endure. Marge's voice expectedly sounds as bad as ever, and I wasn't sure if this was gonna be all that enjoyable. Once she turns evil however, Julie Kavner somehow manages to use the croaky voice to her advantage, making Marge truly sound like a psychopathic killer. It was the first time in I don't know how long I got to feel at least a little bit unsettled. The animation of her helped sell the performance as well.

The conclusion is underwhelming. Not how Marge is reverted back to normal, but it just ends on a kind of eh note that doesn't really stay with you. Though Marge's line "Oh Maggie, I'm so sorry I got possessed and almost chopped you up into little pieces" made me chuckle.

Death Tome 8.5/10

Without a doubt the highlight. I haven't read Death Note, but I'm familiar with the story and there was a parody back in the 14th issue of the Treehouse Of Horror comics as well.

I was hoping there would be more to it than just pretty animation. And thankfully there was. Not only did it make good use of Lisa as a morally questionable protagonist, murdering more and more people out of a falsely perceived "good cause", but it was also the funniest of the three. The visuals even made moments I might not have gotten much of a reaction from with the regular artstyle amusing. My favorite joke was Lisa deciding to kill two people by having a wild animal jumping out of the toilet. Lisa intending for Mr. Burns to die peacefully in his sleep only for him to fall on a grill got a laugh out of me too.

Bart being the one who exposes Lisa isn't exactly a surprise, but they still handle it well enough that I don't mind it. Lisa turning into the monster that made her write death notes worked mainly because of how irritated she is over the predicament. Yeardly's delivery of "Oh great, I'm a freaking shinigami" is simply funny.

Simpsonsworld
(It's a parody of Westworld, they should have typed the title out correctly) 5/10

Aaaaand they blew it. This is by far the worst segment and it's not even a contest. The humor in here is dead on arrival right away, and continues to land with a dud throughout due to consisting of almost nothing but making as many references to past episodes as possible, and laying it on really thick most of the time as well. Do people really find this kind of stuff entertaining? I genuinely don't understand. The only time they do something clever with it is when Ralph appears with an army of clones, all of them saying "I choo-choo-choose you". At least that was so bizarre it got a chuckle out of me.

The music is the only real saving grace. It manages to make what would otherwise be a really bad segment seem at least... well, mediocre I guess. It injects a level of atmosphere to the events if nothing else.

I didn't expect to review a new episode ever again, but for some reason this is the one that actually caught my interest enough for me to check it out. Right out of the gate, it's overhyped like I predicted. It's bound to happen since the HD era simply has a different style of humor and tone overall that I can never get warmed up to.
But that being said, is this still the best Treehouse Of Horror in a while? ... Yes. But that really isn't saying much since HD TOHs are practically unfuckingwatchable most of the time. XXII being so bad it made you want to rip your eyes out. This one reaches a level of competence I haven't seen since XXV.
The worst segment definitely brings the whole thing down a lot, which is unfortunate given that the first two are actually enjoyable, but even that one I can't say is as horrific as Homer Farting or that shitty James Bond/Kingsman parody that doesn't get enough hate. It's just mildly annoying and smug at worst.
And Death Tome almost shocked me with how much I liked it. The jokes were on-point and the animation was gorgeous. This is the level of creativity that should be the standard, not the exception. It also learns the lesson a lot of this show's parodies didn't, that you don't need to be acquainted with the source material in order to get something out of it.
The Papadook was based on something I had seen, and while it's not a very faithful adaptation it did create a real horror atmosphere, and the soundtrack helped a great deal as well.

I'm not blown away by any stretch of the word and can't rate it too highly due to Simpsonsworld, but it's not too bad for what it is.

Last edited:
This is the first time I've seen someone complain about a segment not being a faithful adaptation to the original, isn't that supposed to be the point? The point is that the segment does not try at any time to imitate the movie from which they are taking inspiration and despite the design very similar to that of that movie, the story is as basic as "Marge is possessed and tries to kill Maggie" and the reason why Marge is possessed is literally explained by herself in the finale as having to "clean up the messes in her family" something that aligns with the character and her constant tendency to repress what she feels.

The way you describe the segment is in a very reductive way and the way the main criticism about it not being a faithful adaptation is quite strange. Also, the way you call the episode "overrated" when you yourself later admitted that HD era style and humor just isn't your thing struck me as a pretty arrogant self-fulfilling statement.

I really wish people would take my utterance of "overrated" and "overhyped" with a grain of salt. I'm of course applying them to how I tend to feel myself with most episodes not living up to the expectations set by everyone else. I also don't think I was that harsh on Papadook, managing to enjoy it despite my niggling issues with how the story was adapted. I guess they do explain why Marge gets possessed, but it's not a super deep character story, it's mostly the atmosphere and brooding sense of humor that makes it work. The Babadook is an incredible movie, it was always gonna be hard to do a segment around. And hey, it didn't turn out as bad it could've!

What bothers me about you calling my review "arrogant" and "self-fulfilling" as well is that I could've taken the easy way out and just called the entire episode trash. But you saw how I had almost nothing but positive things to say about Death Tome, how does that read as not wanting to like it? Doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
But how is that being arrogant? Worrying you're not gonna be as into an episode as everyone else is just hoping I'm not gonna waste my time. And thankfully my time wasn't wasted, except for perhaps the last segment. I'm sure there are episodes you thought were going to suck as well before they aired.

Do people really find this kind of stuff entertaining? I genuinely don't understand.
Do, like, only 3 or 4 people here actually read and engage with Tyler's reviews?

Ooh, Jims doing a video specifically on Death Tome (as the tweet in @Brad Lascelle's post above reveals) is intriguing. Though to be honest, I'd rather see him doing an extensive video on the entirety of the episode even if it'd be a long one.

But how is that being arrogant? Worrying you're not gonna be as into an episode as everyone else is just hoping I'm not gonna waste my time. And thankfully my time wasn't wasted, except for perhaps the last segment. I'm sure there are episodes you thought were going to suck as well before they aired.
I personally got it, it felt clear you were talking about your own expectations not lining up with the majority due to your own sense of humor rather than anything to do with the show or the rest of the audience. Overhyped was definitely the wrong word to use for sure (and I can see why people would take issue with that, especially on something regarded so positively) but I cant think of what the right world would be. Maybe it would have been better to frame it in your direction and say the praise is unrelatable. Though I would say that even within the HD era the kind of humour the show has now is a bit different from what it had 5 years ago.

I disagree on how Marge being reverted being eh, I really liked how it tied back to the beginning of the story. I do agree that the last segment was the weakest but I'd say that's just because the first 2 were a lot stronger and more cohesive. Also nice shoutout to XXV, that doesnt get enough praise IMO.

Do, like, only 3 or 4 people here actually read and engage with Tyler's reviews?

i had an initial intro post that went unused for this years reviews that literally says "the Four of you reading this". nailed it!

I disagree on how Marge being reverted being eh, I really liked how it tied back to the beginning of the story.
It's more than just a call-back; it's the moment of truth that is crucial to the segment's successful reflection on Marge as a character and motherhood at large.

Possessed Marge isn't swayed by a 'World's Greatest Mom' mug - a shoddy, ritualistic and largely empty gesture. She isn't swayed by the vacuum cleaner gift - a sign of the expectations and frustrations her family heap on her daily. She isn't swayed by photos of past vacations - a reminder of being routinely left out, overlooked, and taken for granted. These merely call attention to and exacerbate the resentment fuelling the demon.

No, what brings Marge back is the simplest and most powerful of all human gestures - touch. Maggie conveys more with that one touch than anything else ever could and it speaks to something primordial. Something universal. It speaks to us all and it's exactly the kind of humanity, sincerity and honesty that is so often at the core of Carolyn Omine's work - the very things that separate and elevate The Simpsons from and above other sitcoms.

That she managed to work such a meaningful and heartfelt element into a genuinely spooky and tense 7 minute THOH short is simply amazing. But that's what she does and has done on many occasions. It's the best segment of the three for this reason not to mention the best segment of the entire HD era and, perhaps, one of the best ever.

Last edited:
I disagree on how Marge being reverted being eh, I really liked how it tied back to the beginning of the story.
It's not really how she was reverted, that part was totally fine. But the moment it ended on didn't leave any huge impact on me, so when they suddenly switched to the second segment it felt abrupt and slightly jarring.

I do think they were switching through the segments quickly, it felt to me like they were trying to get absolutely every second they could out of the runtime because every story in this one was dense

Not to mention that touch was also used by Marge to reassure Maggie when they started reading the book and she was starting to get scared, it's a way of making her feel safe in a way nothing else could: a mother's love so the touching part doesn't just apply to Marge. It also makes the ending with her locking the Pookadook in the vacuum cleaner feel earned, not just because of the irony of having locked him in the gift her family gave her (which is also a sign of materialism and the burden they place on her as a housewife) but because he also gets trapped in the basement, the same place where his other frustrations and disappointments were, such as the "best mom in the world" mug or the photo album.

And I think the reasons for Marge's possession fit the context of the show, she's been relegated to a role of wife and mother and seeing her family constantly pass her by and having to clean up their messes causes all that resentment and frustrations of their emotions are accumulated until they reach their breaking point which causes it to end up exploding. I think it's a deeper story than it seems and the more I think about it the more it has become not only my favorite segment of the HD era but also one of my favorites of the entire series. Yeah, fuck, I'm putting this at the level of the classics, fuck it.

Last edited:
@B-Boy & @Sandboy as well explaining why the ending of 'The Pookadook' works so well also pretty much explains why I find segment especially superlative, even compared to classic era segments.

Even though it is a dark, creepy and menacing story, it still has a real and very effective emotional core to it (such as how Maggie solves it with a simple, gentle touch that awakens Marge's motherly instincts) and some surprising depth (such as with Marge's hidden grievances of being an overburdened housewife who's unappreciated, has to clean up the family's messes and has horrid luck & traps the spirit in a prominent unappreciative gift: an unused vaccum cleaner. It was just not just a silly happy ending but one with meaning, tying into the narrative like so many classic segments have also done things). That and Maggie finally getting to shine properly as a main protagonist and ends up driving the plot forward, something that also makes it stand out (also makes me want more Maggie-centric episodes).

It does not only having creeps and scares but a whole lot of heart (and no one dies in it (!) and it still comes off as a wonderful entry in the 'Treehouse' canon), enough to make this humble commenter consider it not only the best of the episode but a Top 10 'Treehouse' segment up there with the classics (something that probably makes many ardent critics of modern 'The Simpsons' tremble with rage :P )

I hope there'll be some good video analyses of it in the near future because I feel it really deserves it.

Last edited:
Pookadook was the best use of Maggie in a thoh since nightmare on evergreen terrace and I loved that one (it's my all-time favorite segment.) Reminded me a bit of her escape from daycare. Certainly better than Maggie having a crush on another baby.

Pookadook was the best use of Maggie in a thoh since nightmare on evergreen terrace and I loved that one (it's my all-time favorite segment.)

That's probably my favorite 'Treehouse' segment too (I didn't think of it at first, but Maggie plays a very important part in both as the problem solver). The two segments are quite alike (parodies a popular horror movie, has many creepy & unsettling elements but is hilarious when it wants to be, sports impressive and creative animation & naturally has Maggie in a vital role: It is almost as if having Maggie being the one to solve the problem at hand in the end, the episode becomes at least a little bit better).

The one thing I'd argue 'The Pookadook' has over 'Nightmare On Evergreen Terrace' is that, again, strong emotional element, mainly the relationship between mother and daughter which also helps give episode its well earned ending. 'Nightmare' is still hilarious and does so well with spoofing & sheer creativity, but it doesn't have that same heartfeltness.

Last edited:
It does not only having creeps and scares but a whole lot of heart (and no one dies in it (!) and it still comes off as a wonderful entry in the 'Treehouse' canon)
The blood doesn't bother me as much as the others, but the fact that no one has died in this segment is another of its qualities. The Treehouse of last season had an element that made me intolerable and frustrating and that is how the Treehouses of the HD era are not able to do a segment of true terror and build disturbing and strange, instead it has been replaced by unnecessary bloodshed and body counts.

So the fact that this segment has managed to not only work an element and character arc but also build an eerie atmosphere is great. From the voice acting that takes advantage of Kavner's worn voice to make her look more and more malicious as the demon takes over her body, to the fluid animation and her use of shadows (that sequence of Marge breaking down the door of the basement is fantastic) Rob Oliver really shined in this one. Shit, even the music was on point and the sequence of Marge levitating with the knife to kill Maggie wouldn't have been the same without the music, which really helped sell the tension of the moment and the danger it posed to our heroine. It's a superlative segment and really shows the effort and heart put into the entire episode.

Too bad this segment has been overlooked in other places but I'm glad that in this place it got its deserved recognition.

It is true that often they overdo the blood & gore and deaths all around (sometimes feeling like it's used as a crutch for a lazy or lackluster writing) forget how to properly do a 'Treehouse' segment in which to really tell a scary story. To get this one that prioritized a creepy horror tale with no blood and without a single casualty and succeed is incredibly impressive for the HD era.

Shit, even the music was on point and the sequence of Marge levitating with the knife to kill Maggie wouldn't have been the same without the music, which really helped sell the tension of the moment and the danger it posed to our heroine.

Oh yes, the music also really stood out (I briefly mentioned the music in my review but didn't talk at length about it to avoid bloating the review itself too much). It is rare to hear them have a score this unsettling and creepy in a 'Treehouse' (let alone one that's noticeable) but they did pull it off & it helped to heightened the intensity of the story and elevated its quality. The music played a significant and very important part in getting the dark, sinister tone of the plot just right & I'd say it was the cherry on top.

Last edited:
It was probably my favorite segment but I re-watched the last one a few times to take in all the references. I don't know if it's my Top 10 but Top 20 for sure and that's probably due to the nostalgia I have for the others.

We had this discussion in the "Not IT" thread about play acting and "Pookadook" was so coherent with marge and the simpsons universe that it didn't feel like that and I enjoyed "Not IT" a lot but this was clearly superior. I paused a few times to look at the photo album pictures, I just appreciated the art and composition. It seemed like the segment was building up for 30 odd seasons. I can only think of "Homer Alone" being similar in that Marge is clearly not appreciated and she has a breakdown, albeit not homicidal, but I can't think of any other similar episode where Marge has had enough of her life, the ones where she gives up on Bart don't count.

I'm so glad they didn't do a full on Westworld tv show parody ( this isn't based on the movie ) and that what we got was driven by Homer and not Lisa being a stand-in for Maeve.

I hope there'll be some good [...] analyses of it in the near future because I feel it really deserves it.
👀

WHY THE POOKADOOK IS A MODERN TREEHOUSE OF HORROR MASTERPIECE

vlcsnap-2022-11-02-18h54m54s704.png

(So I'm obsessed with this segment, so what ?)

Okay, first, I want you to take a deep breath and think about the Maggie-centric segments of the show. Those in which she plays a big part, and not some kind of MacGuffin, such as in Unnormal Activity and In the Belly of the Boss. And for Pete's sake, the ending of Master and Cadaver doesn't count. Ok, so personally, I can only think of two (correct me if I missed one) : Starship Poopers and The Exor-Sis. Regardless of your appreciation of those two, regardless of your opinion on the characterization, Maggie simply was someone else in those segments, obviously as the plot wants it (the daughter of a bloodthirsty alien in the former and a possessed baby in the latter). She can have her importance in some other segments - especially, as it was said earlier, at the ending of Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace - but really, the poor baby doesn't have any segment for her genuine self. Which is understandable of course, I mean, she's a litteral baby and it's not easy finding a story suitable for her without any alteration of her basic self. Which is, being a baby with the intelligence of a Rugrats character in her biggest roles and gags. You know, she's not supposed to suddenly turn into Alex Delarge and decapitate some foes out of the blue. So how do you manage to write a good story for her and keeping it true to the character ? Add the closest character to her, Marge, to the equation, and choose to adapt The Babadook.

Now I don't have much memories of the movie, but I do remember the story behind the eponymous monster, and I like it a lot. Stories about surnatural embodiments of grievance and stuff are always my jam. But there are many themes in the story that would have been hard not only to contain into six minutes and a half while also telling a plot standing on its own two feet, but that would've required many changes to the show's usual lore. Which is fine, but also tricky to do while making it feel organic. The segment as it is decided not to change anything to the background, which for the most part could easily be the one from a canon episode, minus of course the presence of a demonic manifestation. Is it very faithful then ? Well, it's an adaptation, what do you expect. And this segment gets it. To parody is one thing, to actually adapt is another. The Shinning is my absolute favorite segment, probably yours as well, but let's face it, to handle something like The Shining with only seven minutes in your hands, you have to truncate. The multiple metaphors and themes behind this sordid story which isn't just about a guy suddenly turning into a homicidal psychopath ? Nah, let's make Homer go crazy and stuff because no TV and no beer. And it's brilliant, because it's fitting. Mirkin and co decided to go with that, and then they took advantage of making a malleable adaptation of the source material according to how they wanted to use the characters, the tone they wanted to go with, and so on. Homer tries to kill his family because Moe poorly convinces him that they'll be happier as ghosts, and that's fine.

vlcsnap-2022-11-02-18h54m39s264.png

I believe The Pookadook gets that logic. Simply adapt to make it work. Instead of talking about grief, it tackles something we know about Marge for a long time. She loves her family, her family loves her, but she often feels taken for granted, and it's hard to blame her for that. And the segment quickly establishes that, actually. Thanks to the art of freeze-framing, the opening text on the book tells us all we need to know to get the context, even though it doesn't say anything new about the characters. It's just them, but they highlight that in the text to get how it has its importance here. That way, the rest of the segment is dedicated to the essential, stripping off a lot from the original source, again, to fit the context and to make the most out of the runtime. So no context for the Pookadook book, they simply happen to have it, and that way, more time dedicated to Marge telling that creepy story to Maggie and comforting her, I believe. Sometimes, simplification can be helpful to make things feel more fleshed out. The very first Treehouse segment did the same, and so the Simpsons happen to buy a house with a curse the real estate agent is very well aware about. But more importantly, adapting this story helps it feel that they didn't pick this one randomly. It's more like "what if we take The Babadook story and arrange it so it can fits Marge's personality and her own resentments", instead of "lol, what if the Simpson family were the characters from Parasite". See what I mean ? The characters are an important key to the story. The Shinning wouldn't have been such a perfect combination of wacky and creepy without Homer's outbursts. Time and Punishment wouldn't have been as freaking hilarious without Homer as the nitwit with a time machine. Bart Simpson's Dracula is also great thanks to the dumb nonchalance from the family with Lisa in the middle to provide a balance. Homer as the unnamed narrator of The Raven works so well too, featuring some brilliant body language.

vlcsnap-2022-11-02-18h58m54s751.png

The characters truly shine in The Pookadook as well. They're carefully written to make you give a damn about them, and boy does it work as far as I'm concerned. They really feel like their own selves suddenly in the middle of surnatural events. And their personalities literally carry on the plot, as they're vital to it. In that regard, I don't think the plot would have worked just as well with Bart or Lisa instead of Maggie. On her own, she helps the plot feel more atmospheric, thanks to her being a girl of few - if any - words (unless Elizabeth Taylor or Jodie Foster gets in the way). She can't directly warn the rest of her family about the Pookadook. She can't crack one-liners. She can only count on her masterful body language (I remember Carolyn Omine tweeting about specifically wanting to give Maggie regular pajamas with pants, so her legs can be used as well). She's a 2 year old (again, with the intelligence of a Rugrats characters) against a monster. But of course, she is above everything else, just as established right at the beggining, what appeases Marge the most, and vice-versa. So to have the most comforting thing to this 2 year old suddenly turning into the thing that wants to kill her is delightfully chilling as the direction truly takes advantage of the baby's POV. But it's also what glues all the pieces together and carries on the main idea behind this segment. Her little gesture (that so many users have excellently talked about earlier) as the solution is powerful, as it's the thing that reminds Marge the sincerity of her little one. And again, you didn't need words for that : you need a gesture, simple as it is. Suddenly, both Marge and Maggie become the most comforting thing to each other again. Marge is brilliantly handled as well. It's not a surprise that she takes a lot of responsibilities for her family and feels often left behind. But you get that little gesture that reminds her that no matter what, she'll be genuinely loved by someone, and not because she's taken for granted. Also, yeah, great symbolism of the basement that was already mentioned by @Sandboy's clever analysis, I honestly haven't thought about it.

vlcsnap-2022-11-02-19h00m37s380.png

But yeah, what's with all the symbolism, it's a seven minutes horror tale, I want some horror ! I hear you, and so does the segment. As a chilling segment, it works so damn well, and while like I said the characters are crucial to that, I can't just deny everything else that makes it great. You know what I loved the most about The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow, from Thanksgiving of Horror ? It's that freaking scene with Maggie listening to Marge's heartbeat, provided by A.I. Marge. It's not a joke, it's a serious moment to make the plot move forward. And I adore that, when they remember that sometimes, a joke would feel very intrusive. Again, it's just something that feel genuine, in every way possible. And that's the same here. Well, there are jokes of course, and good ones to boot, but they feel organic. They feel like they come at the right time, and even enhance the point. You get Homer and Bart's silly antics of the week by deciding to build a dojo because why not. You get Marge left behind in the photos, which is good enough for a chuckle by itself, but in context, doesn't make you feel any less bad for Marge, and any less bad for Maggie trying to help her get out of it. And then, you also get moments that just scream "give me a good visual joke !", like, I don't know about you but I truly believed that the remains of the broken "World's best mom" cup would form some silly words, same goes to Maggie's blocks overthrown by Marge (I dunno, I expected something like "Uh Oh"). But no, none of those easy tricks. I don't know about you, but for me, it's such a breath of fresh air. The humor is at the right place, and even better, it feels cohesive. It doesn't interfere with the menace or its own rules. And I love my Simpsons silly and funny, don't get me wrong. But I also love when it cleverly decides that it's not the moment for that. Helps you feel for the characters and the events, you know ? Of course, the animation masterfully takes advantage of the horror factor as well. And Julie Kavner brings her A-game. I feel bad everytime someone points out that she sounds unbearable, because damn, she still can act, and as the possessed character, her rough voice sure comes in handy but it's mostly her acting that sells it (her delivery of "Peakaboo, I hear you" will never not be chilling to me).

In conclusion, I just want to add one thing about this segment : to me, it learned from the past. Not just from the good segments, but the bad ones as well. It could have gone through the same mistakes that shot down so many failed parodies, but it's got a solid character-driven plot with a fitting parody, and it's got everything at the right place. Not all of those things should sound like a feat, but the point is, it avoids the traps, it takes advantage of the necessities, and it adds even more to the core, even as a non-canon story. And all that without a single tear of blood, without a single dead body. It's simple, it's the good kind of simple. A good appropriation of a story that works on so many levels, I applaud that, personally.

(Oh and, for that alone, I bump my score for the overall episode up to a 4.5/5.)

Last edited:
At last, the episode was released in Ukrainian translation, and I start live-rewatching
  • Opening/Wraparound - Actually I write this at last. Liked scrary relation with the start and ending of segments, and with Kang and Kodos outside.
  • «The Pookadook» - Very nice. Making the baby's fear to maximum looked great:maggie:. Also notice aforementioned satirized "ways to get mom back" - mug, album… Emotional in all sences🥲 (4.5 ->) 5/5
  • «Death Tome» - Chilling east-style segment. Loved the montages and of course the animetion. The moment of Bart's almost dead was really great. With it, there were good jokes here. 4/5
  • «SimpsonsWorld» - FULL OF FUN and SELF-IRONIA.🤣🤣🤣 Laughed over much: references, "where's my junk?", Lisa's in depression, Homer speach about life, satire on foolhardy fans and "worlds" of other series. Gosh, great science fiction comedy, even if not too horror…but it's covered. 5/5
So, very very good episode! 4.5/5 up to 5.

• Eek
Reactions: Sam
Back