Rate & Review: "Treehouse of Horror XXVII" (VABF16)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters
Okay, I was out of line. I admit I didn’t watch most of it (I turned off the TV as soon as you-know-who appeared). It was Rachel and not Lisa.

I decided to go ahead and come clean instead of taking the Panther way out.

intro: i liked the cameos here, especially the one by frank grimes. it only killed the characters off, but it was decent i guess.

couch gag: another planet of the apes parody. nothing special, kinda lame.

dry hard: it was some lame hunger games/mad max parody that was really rushed, and way way too late. the only joke i found funny was the "we sure could use that noggin of yours, ned" line/ned's head on a spike. not many laughs, easily the weakest segment. 1/10.

bff r.i.p: this was pretty well executed, and actually seemed like a segment that belonged in a treehouse of horror story. a lot of good jokes (sherri and terri's rhyming family names, homer's imaginary hotdog friend and eating him out of the microwave, etc.), a plot that wasn't fucking rushed for once, and plenty of deaths this segment that made it legit creepy at points. pretty good, surprisingly. 8/10

moefinger: some bad bond/austin powers parody that went nowhere i suppose?? i kinda lost interest in this one for a bit and started doing something else tbh. the montage of bad shows the simpsons has outlasted was funny though, especially the "untitled seth macfarlane project 2017" stab, though the simps can't really talk. 1.5/10

overall, 3.5/10. pretty weak, but they couldn't do any worse than last year's shitfest.

meh this was quite dissapointing, it wasn't BAD at all but it was getting there... the fact that this had so much hype around it and for it to fall flat is why it gets such a bad reception but in reality it was just your average THOH episode. Sometimes in the modern era it feels like they try way to hard with single jokes which just compromises everything else, there was hardley any subtlety in this what so ever.

In fact the whole intro with grimes, sideshow bob and kudos (or whatever hes called) would have made a brilliant segment, but they hyped it up and made it a minutes worth which is super annoying imo

Honestly, They could just drop the First segment (easily the weakest) and make something out of the 'Legion of Doom' thing with Grimey and Sideshow Bob. but Noooooo, the had to ruin it...

3/5. I thought this year's THOH was significantly better than last year's episode. The stories felt too short (long intro?), but there were a few "laugh out loud" moments. Second story was by far the strongest.

IMO it seems that newer THOH episodes are mild in terms of "horror" when compared to many of the earlier episodes.

Average episode.
The Opening Sequence with Frank Grimes, Sideshow Bob, Kang and the Leprechaun was boring and random.
Planet of the couchs was Also depressing.

Dry Hard: It was short and unattractive ... Perhaps the worst of the three. It was Also quite boring. 2/5.
BFF R.I.P: Best segment que saved the whole episode. The story was really interesting and enjoyable. 5/5.
MoeFinger: Another boring segment. The only good thing about it is the scenes in Which Bart kills people, Which Were pretty violent. 2/5.

Overall, better than THOH XXVI (Eh...) 3/5.

actually rewatching this again it wasnt as bad as what i first thought, there was a lot of detail that i didnt notice plus the first segment was better then i thought but moe finger was worst then i thought, BFF RIP was actually a brilliant segment, maybe the fact that everyone was looking forward to it and it was the big 600 it fell flat but as a normal THOH it was fairly decent, il give them the benefit of the doubt and go back to my 3/5 rating... its been a good start to season 28

Kinda boring and unmemorable. Dry Hard started out great actually but got kinda boring after each minute. BFF R.I.P was pretty good I guess, but the last one was just boring.

Dry Hard: Another parody of a movie that isn't terrifying. The plot was interesting, but ruined by wanting to resemble The Hungry Games. I admit that there are scenes that I liked (especially the one in which the people attack the dam), but in general, the segment is rather mediocre. 5/10

BFF RIP: This segment is spectacular, and strengthens the episode. It generates intrigue and bewilderment. It offers moments to laugh constantly. His argument is very interesting. And, moreover, he introduces us to Sergeant Sausage. There is nothing that has left me unsatisfied. It was great. 10/10

MoeFinger: And here, another parody of a movie that isn't terrifying. Although this time was not so bad. It is true that it is too violent. But Homer's interventions are all magnificent and the personality of Moe and Bart are good, and form a great team. 7/10

Of the sequence of opening and closing, I prefer not to say. Not because they were bad or good, but because they gave me neither disgust nor pleasure. They are an unnecessary filling, but not at all annoying. The couch gag, on the other hand, is another of the highlights of the episode. It is too innovative and forces the fan to stay alert so as not to miss details. Thanks to this, I will round up.

Note: 8/10 (4/5 for the poll)

After having not watched a Simpsons ep in quite a while, I'm jumping back in with this one I guess, and only one year behind everyone else having seen it already.

Intro was rushed nonsense, which is a shame really. Maybe it could have been better if they'd opted to give it more time instead of shoehorning in that dumb Planet of the Couches VR thing.
Hunger Games parody was both boring and rushed as fuck.
Lisa's imaginary friend was the only semi-decent segment with a few laughs in it ("I only believe in on invisible killer and that's God", Snowball II sacrificing herself and Homer's hot dog friend)
Bond parody was about as lame as a Bond parody could be.

Man, what a piss poor attempt at Halloween show, let alone a milestone episode. There was just so little here to like. BFF RIP was the only thing that felt like it had potential to actually be an okay Halloween story (And even then it was fairly mediocre). 007/Hunger Games segments completely forgo any sense natural plot progression in favor of just having the characters make references and spout exposition.

1/5

Dry Hard: A Hunger Games parody that was ok.
BFF RIP: Easily the best, and with Sargent Sausage!
Moefinger: Yeah, this was the worst of the 3.

Overall, an mediocre 600th episode, expected it to be better, but meh. 2.5/5.

Dry Hard: A Hunger Games parody that was ok.
BFF RIP: Easily the best, and with Sargent Sausage!
Moefinger: Yeah, this was the worst of the 3.

Overall, an mediocre 600th episode, expected it to be better, but meh. 2.5/5.

I can see why BFF RIP might be the best, but Moefinger was a good segment and way stronger than Dry Hard.

It's been one month since I reviewed this episode, and my review has since changed.

After coming off from "The Town", one of the better modern Simpsons Episodes, we get the 600th Simpsons episode, which turns out to be the annual THOH Special.

The opening, brings back 3 dead characters, including the much hyped return of Frank Grimes. Sadly, it was only for a minute, which was a disappointment, but it wasn't as bad as Mr. Bergstrom's reappearance in "The Kid Is All Right".
That gets a 2/5 here.

For the 1st segment, we get (supposedly) a Hunger Games parody, called Dry Hard which gets turned into a Mad Max parody for no reason. Why change it midway, when the original parody was OK by itself? In fact, I don't remember this as well as the rest, but I didn't really like this. I'm glad it was the shortest, so they could spend more time on the next segment
It's a 2/5 here as well.

The next segment, BBF R.I.P might be the best modern THOH segment, and there's lots of violence here, more than most segments, and they're even killing girls other than Lisa now? Now that's a segment that has horror, just like the good old days of Nightmare Of Elm Street. Also, how the deaths were played out were great as well. Oh, and you have Sargent Sausage, a great one time character that needs to appear again in the future. Also, this is (I think) the last original segment that The Simpsons have ever done, as the Wiki page for THOH episodes stats a parody for every episode after this one.
Great segment, a 4.5/5, rounded up to a 5/5.

We end with Moefinger, which was nothing special for a Bond parody, so not a lot to point out. I'll give it credit for it being better than Dry Hard but otherwise, another mediocre segment.
My score for this is a 2.5/5, rounded down to a 2/5.

The episode has a good segment, but has 2 bad segments, along with a underwhelming return of Frank Grimes. My rating is 11/20, or a 2.75/5 (estimate), rounded up to a 3/5.

Last edited:
  1. Opening (setting) - Not too "millennium"-ish, much mash-up. Yawn :boring: As for "super VR googles planet of couches" I didn't care of it.
  2. Dry Hard - COOL parody… without any good jokes… or good references. Anyway, nice :) 65/100
  3. BFF RIP -Wow. Fantastic story, [SPOILER="no, thanks"]deserved onto be filmed[/SPOILER].Traditionally, the middle segment is about Lisa) The problem is the same: lame humor 72/100
    Comment: someone are worried there are too much children murdering in the episode. I all understand, but, besides of that aspect, the THOH episodes made for being scary, terrific, terrible and controversy. So, in this case, how it cynically won't sound, it worked.
  4. Moefinger - The story isn't fresh, but it worked with all: ok-written story, ok-satire, ok-jokes, almost-ok-fear. As a result, 76/100 from me.

TOTAL (in average) 71/100 (strong 3/5, with rounding, or C+). DECENT!

Back