rate & review "treehouse of horror XIX" (kabf16)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters
You technically argued that it wasnt a disastrous episode, now obviously people are entitled to their opinions, but you'd have to be insane or blind to give this episode a 4/5 rating. I seriously fail to see how people could argue against me.

Last edited:
Wraparounds were unnecessary and cutting into segment time. These things have little enough time to develop as is...the 'non-THOH three-parter' episodes, which have wraparounds, will attest to this.

I thought the wraparounds were good for the episode...they improved pacing and story structure by making all of the stories connected. It's another sign of how far the show has fallen when you consider that the Halloween specials used to have three stories and three wraparounds and still never feel rushed or too short like this year's Halloween episode. I'm sure it helped that they had people like Conan O'Brien writing them.

I think that it was a pretty good Treehouse Of Horror episode, but I don't know if it was better than last year's Treehouse episode or not. The first segment "Untitled Robot Parody" was good, but it felt too rushed, the second segment "How To Get Ahead in Dead-Vertising" was better and I somehow liked the gory death of Krusty because it remembered me more of the early Treehouse of Horror episodes since a lot of the modern TOH has almost no gore. The last segment "It's The Grand Pumpkin, Milhouse" was the best one even though i've never seen that Peanuts special and I quite liked the gag with Marge using the instrument to sound like the adults in the Peanuts cartoons when they are talking. My final verdict: it's an good episode, but not the best.

3.5/5

It was alright for a modern THoH. Surprisngly none of the acts flat out sucked, they all had there moments. Even the tranformers parody had some good jokes. Not too keen on the turkey in Pumkin Milhouse, but an ok episode, best for a while...

3/5

This was the first new episode I've seen in around two years (the story is that my digital TV supplier had a major/minor disagreement with the channel that broadcasts new episodes of The Simpsons, hence their unavailability on my digital set-top box until today when the two companies finally reached an agreement).

It was, in a word, disappointing. I think the biggest problem with this was that it was preceded by the episode Lady Bouvier's Lover, a very funny and superbly-written episode which has a certain quality that you'd be hard-pressed to find in newer episodes of The Simpsons, namely charm. So, imagine my dismay when I reached the end credits of Treehouse of Horror XIX. It wasn't funny. It wasn't memorable. It wasn't charming. It wasn't particularly well-written. It felt rushed, it felt laboured, it felt insulting to my intelligence, it felt like a chore to sit through, it felt like I was watching a very cheap imitation of The Simpsons. All I saw were random parodies shoe-horned into the plot, or what little there was of it. I know The Simpsons has traditionally done parodies, but at least in the past, they were, for the most part, subtle, and if you hadn't seen the source of what they were parodying, you weren't left scratching your head wondering what film that you didn't see was being sent up. The parodies here had the subtlety of a brick being thrown through a glass window. The Transformers segment in particular seemed to have no major purpose other than to parody Transformers. It seemed like it was over as soon as the final producer credit was done with. The other two segments weren't much better. They were about as infantile and nonsensical as the first one.
I hope the next new episode, or repeat of anything made after Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Three Times (the last 'new' episode I saw until now) is an improvement on this, otherwise I may stop watching new episodes of The Simpsons altogether, this time, out of choice.

This was the first new episode I've seen in around two years (the story is that my digital TV supplier had a major/minor disagreement with the channel that broadcasts new episodes of The Simpsons, hence their unavailability on my digital set-top box until today when the two companies finally reached an agreement).

Same thing here, it was nice to finally see something new.

Untitled Robot Parody
There's not really much to say as it was so damn short. There was the opening bit at christmas, a few scenes of robots attacking people/eachother then, all of a sudden it was the final battle and it ended. All wthin under 5 minutes. So yes, it was very rushed, but then, it was funny as well, there wasn't really a bad bit in there and the ATM robot shooting money at Otto was one of the highlights of the episode. B- would've got higher if it weren't so short and rushed.

How To Get Ahead In Deadvertising
The weakest of the segments, not that it was bad it just wasn't anything special. It didn't feel as rushed or short as the first one, but wasn't as funny and it wasn't as good as the third in any area. I liked the various celebrity killings but the rest was a bit meh. C+

It's The Grand Pumpkin, Milhouse
The best segment, was funnier and less rushed than either of the other 2. Of course, there's the big bias for this segment in that I am a huge Peanuts fan (although shamefully I haven't seen the Great Pumpkin yet :ashamed:) so I loved all the various references to it and that was enough to make me love the segment. I wasn't a big fan of Tom Turkey but the rest makes up for it. A- (knocked down for the turkey)

Overall, a good episode. Funny with some great references in there (ie. Peanuts) and no bad segments. But did feel a bit to short and rushed B.

Well, this was probably the mildest Halloween show they've done, in terms of actual Halloween material. I doesn't really live up to the tree house of "horrors" title, but it was fun. I loved the Grand Pumpkin segment. The transformers parody was silly but entertaining. The middle segment? Meh. Overall, this trilogy was stronger than THOH 17 and 18. Very amusing, and great animation to boot.

4/5

I thought it was very good. It's my favorite THOH episode since THOH XV. I enjoyed all three segments and the intro, even though the Grand Pumpkin segment was my favorite and the Dead-Vertising one was my least favorite. I enjoyed the Grand Pumpkin segment without seeing the source material, meaning it was a good parody and I liked the theme and gags. The Transformers was also good with some funny gags, even if it was completely revealed on Wikipedia before it aired. While I enjoyed the Dead-Vertising segment as well, especially the intro, but I didn't think it was as scary as it should have been. However, I guess it shouldn't be too dark, or else it could not feel like The Simpsons.

Intro: 4/5
Transformers: 4/5
Dead-Vertising: 3.5/5
Grand Pumpkin: 5/5

Overall: 4.25/5

Disappointing opening sequence set the tone for this episode.

I laughed once throughout the whole thing and that was at the Nacho Cheese crying (which wasn't all that funny anyway.)

One problem mighta been that many of the pop culture references went straight over my head. I've never seen the Charlie Brown special or Mad Men so that may have led to a few jokes going unlaughed at but I must say this was the worst THOH of them all and I was definitely unfulfilled by the end of it.

1.5 rounded to a 2/5

*Opening Sequence - Original, but a little lost for content. 3/5

*Untitled Robot Parody: The funniest and best one. Things I liked: Ling's name was on Bart's Christmas list. Grandpa and his oxygen The Springfield Shopper headline. Stop it! stop it! you have made the nacho machine cry! B-

*How to Get Ahead in Dead-Vertising: Nothing interesting. Nothing Bad. First episode since Papa Don't Leech that bored me. This survives a low D Grade because of the Mad Men parody (which I'm a big fan of) D+

*It's the Grand Pumpkin, Milhouse: Having never watched Peanuts, I got none of the jokes. But the whole plot and the jokes were awful...marge's trumpet..."Lisa he's here!"...the turkey chasing them...Milhouse as the lead role (yuck). The only bit I enjoyed was Kang and Kodos dancing at the dance. D-

What a poor display of Treehouse of Horror. Worse than even THOH XV and THOH XVI - hmmm not sure yet. But pretty bad. 2/5

Best post-classic Halloween :Pac-man:

But yeah, it was a very nice surprise after the dullness of the last THOHs and the best since the IX. None of the stories failed to me; obviously not all of them had the same level but they were enjoyable and the worst one was at least pretty good.

First of all, the beginning with Homer voting was hilarious ("Six votes for president McCain" :lol:). Also, the introductions for the three segments were awesome and a good idea that should be exploited in later Halloweens. The one for the third segment was absolutely amazing, I think there are not more than five scenes in the whole Jean era that had me roaring with laughter as this one did.

Untitled Robot Parody was hilarious. The visual gags at the transformations got me in stitches throughout the whole segment, and the ending was also very funny. I only disliked the scene with Abe; although it didn't last too long I thought that joke was very very unsimpson-ish. 9/10

How To Get Ahead In Dead-Vertising was the worst story of the episode and it still was enjoyable. Surprisingly I didn't have problems with the gore and violence of the segment, and ultimately liked them (i. e. Krusty's death should have bothered me and I found it amusing). There were some dull jokes and the dead celebrities invading the Earth was not a very good idea but it was still consistently funny, with Lincoln, the murders and some other lines. Nothing outstanding, but a good act overall. 8/10

And It's The Grand Pumpkin, Milhouse was the crown jewel. I absolutely LOVED it, from the hilarious animation to Milhouse as a main character to the lots of jokes during the whole plotline (Homer taking pleasure in sticking his knife in the pumpkin, Milhouse offering pumpkin bread to the Grand Pumpkin and the i-pod at the party to take three examples; there were some other great lines from Milhouse, Homer, the Pumpkin, Nelson and Marge). With Send In The Clones from THOH XIII, it's the best Halloween segment since The Homega Man. And I didn't know anything about Peanuts when I watched it. 10/10

9/10 therefore and finally a solid Halloween at all. Quite underrated if you ask me, I don't know how this one could be even compared with the things aired in previous seasons.

Last edited:
Weak THOH and very typical of its era (bottom 5 of the show IMO). There is some okay stuff in spots so I'll say 2/5.

The third act was my favorite, and I liked the scene where Homer is trying to vote. But I don't remember the rest of the episode that much.

intro segment: 4/5
good satire at the time, and still kinda relevent

1rst segment: 2/5
as bad as the real movie

2nd segment: 3/5
intro was nicely animated, and the krusty death was one of the better death of all the thoh, but after that it kinda fell.

3rd segment: 4/5
funny and well executed, all the jokes are funny, homer is funny cutting up pumpkins, and santas little helper/snoopy flys overhead LOL

gets better each segment, so its decent. 3/5

Could had been better but was 100% better then last year

s01e03_227.jpg

what is so shocking about that post? thoh XVIII is a piece of shit. this is way better.

I know, but how did the last segment saved this episode if the other two weren't bad...?

Back