Rate & Review: THE SIMPSONS MOVIE

RATE AND REVIEW THE SIMPSONS MOVIE!!

• 5 STARS - WOO-HOO! Completely worth the 18 year wait!

Votes: 338 31.5%
  • 4.5 STARS - Fantastic

Votes: 213 19.9%
  • 4 STARS - Excellent

Votes: 185 17.3%
  • 3.5 STARS - Really good

Votes: 106 9.9%
  • 3 STARS - It was pretty good, but could have been better

Votes: 133 12.4%
  • 2.5 STARS - Hmmm... good, I guess

Votes: 36 3.4%
  • 2 STARS - Meh, I dunno, not entirely what I wanted

Votes: 27 2.5%
  • 1.5 STARS - Not too good

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • 1 STAR - Groan, that was pretty bad

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • 0.5 STARS - Not worth the wait at all, wish it was never made

Votes: 8 0.7%

• Total voters
I didn't find it very good. it felt different somehow. I remember the build up in my town being like when itchy and scratchy released a a movie and the whole of springfield was buzzing.

before the movie came out the episodes were good but since the episodes have gone downhill take lisa goes gaga for example everything about it was weird especially the cameo appearance

I'll give it a 7/10 which in my book is higher than almost anything after season 9 with just a few exceptions.
The movie is decent and much better than the seasons at the time but of course it doesn't compare favourably with the classic era.
Too many problems that plague post classic Simpsons are present in the movie, lame jokes, too much slapstick and jerkass Homer.
It also has some structural problems. The scene in which they win the motorcycle was added after everything was scripted because they needed to establish that Homer could ride a motorcycle. The problem is that it totally forgets the Simpsons are being chased by the police and there are wanted posters everywhere.

And then there's the problem with the test audiences that dumbed down the movie. The showrunners engaged in the very same thing they used to mock in episodes like The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show.
The idea that they wanted to make the movie for people who were not fans of the show is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard and I wonder what was going on in the showrunners mind.
If you make a Simpsons movie you're gonna make a movie for the fans of the show just like any other franchise or television show does. How many people who didn't give a fuck about the show for 20 years is now suddenly going to decide to watch the movie? 1% of the audience probabaly.
All the rest will at least have watched a few episodes of the show.
As such, if they made the movie they wanted to make almost the same amount of people would have watched it.

Even if they had made a movie for the hardcore fans, which I'm not asking them to do, almost the same amount of people would have watched it.

But of course the Simpsons are not the same show anymore and we should know better. This is a show that wants to be popular by pandering to the lowest common denominator. This is the blandness that has characterized Al Jean during his reign.

I gave the movie a 7/10 though because it has positive things nontheless. The humour even if it's not great at least is decent for the most part and not painful like in most modern episodes.
The plot, even if it has problems as I mentioned before, remains focused for the most part.
The marriage crisis even if not exceptional is at least believable and has a heart.

And something that not a lot of people mention, we have classic Flanders in the movie. His characterization even if not perfect is the best it has been since the classic era.
This is the friendly neighbour, caring father and normal human being with lots of interests who also happens to be a devout Christian.

Last edited:
The Simpsons Movie:

Here we are. After waiting 15 years for a movie, we get one. There's tons of funny moments in this movie and would see it again, but I wouldn't like to see another movie until it has ended.

4/5.

B+

Has a bunch of faults that show that it's no longer the glory days, but god, it's still quite a satisfying would-be finale for The Simpsons... if only it ended there.

A- (4 to 4.5 stars) I thought the movie was great in my opinion definitely the best thing since the classic era.

I remember seeing the movie in theaters when it came out and i loved it, we got little rating cards at the end, and I gave it an A+ I dug it so much lol

But my opinion has changed a little bit since i was 11, I’d give it a 3.5/5 now I think. I still really like the bart stuff, the sub plot with him and homer was good and the stuff with homer and marge is great! The part where Marge tapes over her and homers wedding tape is still heartbreaking, I love that scene. I also really like how fun the climax is, plus the ending is heartwarming of course.

I just wish lisa had more to do, and while the plot works its just kinda eh. Theres parts of the story where it feels exciting n junk (esp the climax with the motorcycle imo) but other than that its just not that interesting to me. Feels like the plot gets put on hold for a bit after the family get to alaska, but I could be remembering wrong since its been a couple years since I watched the movie all the way through ^^;

So overall I think its a fun movie, not perfect but definitely worth a rewatch!

Yeah, I'm much the same 4Cats. I watched it at the cinema on release when I was 15 and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Suffice to say, time has not been kind to it. I wouldn't rate it any higher than a 3 tops and probably closer to a 2. Among other things, it's blatantly obvious it was screen tested to death. And Homer is insufferable.

Reactions: Sam
It was quite I while since I last watched it, but I still think it's a good movie. It's an enjoyable and fun story with some nice jokes & gags and fine character moments (but humorous and dramatic). It has its flaws throughout and could've have had a meatier script (at times it does feel like an extended 40 minute two-part episode), but the negatives are really nothing huge or too bad and as a whole it works well as a movie. Without rewatching it right away, I feel pretty assured to give it a fair 4/5

I'm also less in fond of the movie than I was years ago, when I could watch it annually, but I've rewatched it some months ago and I still think it's fairly solid. Not perfect by any means, you can definitely tell it was written and rewritten and re-rewritten quite a number of times, but in the end, the main plot still stands on its own two feet, I think it handles the "bigger screen, bigger plot" schema pretty well. It's also by far the most quotable thing from the franchise since arguably the Scully era (love it or hate it, but you can't deny a number of its episodes have plenty of quotable lines). And while Homer does have his... moments, I don't think he's nowhere near at his worst, at least he learns from his mistakes and bad behavior, and that's established here right in the open instead of being all of sudden at some point of the movie (plus I do love how he and Bart reconcile, over the fact he knows his son well enough to know he'd love to hold the bomb).

If I have to rank it, that would be something like a 3.5, closer to a 4 than to a 3. But I can understand people that didn't like it.

It was a solid film and I'm still rather fond of it after all these years. I remember watching it in theaters on opening weekend with some friends and thoroughly enjoyed it. Does it hold up as well now? For the most part yeah but it's not perfect.

14 year old me was very happy with The Simpsons Movie when it came out. There were a lot of great jokes (I was completely taken aback by the Bart skateboarding nude sequence) and that it felt like a proper movie that stood apart from the show. Now, after rewatching it, I don't think it has aged very well, although the great jokes still hold up today.

First and foremost, I really feel like the amount of jokes they tried to cram in ultimately get in the way of the movie. More often than not, there's a joke to bookend a scene, which makes sense, but I think it happens so often here that it ends up making the story feel like an afterthought. One example is the "To be continued... Immediately" act break after Homer runs out the cabin. It's a pretty good joke the first time you watch it. I definitely laughed in the cinema, but on subsequent viewings now I think that joke takes away from the emotional point of Homer losing his family. Another example is the race at the end to get the bomb out of the dome. As we get this nice little moment between Bart and Homer, theres an awkward little insert of Martin standing up to Dolph, Jimbo and Kearney. It's nice to see Martin get a chance to shine in a vacuum, but it's a strange place to put this joke in the midst of this heart-to-heart between Bart and Homer. A fair few jokes don't really work alongside the story, they feel like they trip it up.

Then again, I think the story ends up tripping over itself quite often anyway. I don't envy the editors of this movie with the amount of storylines taking place. Homer reconciling with Marge, Bart looking up to Flanders as a new father figure, Springfield dealing with life under the dome, Russ Cargill and the President and Lisa with Colin. Theres so much going on that it feels inevitable that one of these stories will stumble at one point or another. Lisa's storyline ends up falling by the wayside after act one and Russ Cargill makes for a pretty good villain until he's forgotten about towards the end. Bart has some good moments with Flanders (I like the fishing scene with the two of them) and even though there's not a lot of time spent developing their relationship, at least it has a pay off. Homer and Marge's storyline has some great scenes here and there, but I think the ground work for these scenes weren't laid down as good as they could have been. Marge's tearful goodbye to Homer via the videotape is wonderful on its own and Julie Kavner deserves all the awards in the world for her performance, but I feel it could have been more impactful if we had more time beforehand to set up that things were slowly falling apart, or if it didn't ultimately stem from Homer dumping a pig crap silo in the lake. As it is now, it doesn't feel like the emotional high points line up smoothly with what came before.

Aside from that, I really wish less time had been spent on the pig. The amount of screen time it takes up in act one, you would think it would be a mainstay for the rest of the movie, but it's dropped after we leave Springfield. More time could have been spent focusing on Homer and Marge's relationship or one of the other Simpson storylines. It doesn't help that I smirked at the Spider-Pig song the first time watching in the cinema and have since then found it slightly more irritating than funny since, which I'll admit is more to do with how often it came up in marketing for the movie and how popular it became after the movie came out rather than the joke itself.

I'm also not a fan of some of Homer's characterisation here. Actually I think he's fine for the most part, but theres one or two scenes which are questionable. I really dislike the moment after he frees himself from the noose and escapes through the sandbox, sticking up his middle (ring?) fingers as he goes. It feels like that kind of joke doesn't really fit the tone of The Simpsons world. I guess he was written in this movie not to be fully a jerk but somebody who was definitely being ignorant of others, so in that respect, the writers did a good job. That little moment in particular makes me wince each time I watch it however.

But with the all the stuff I don't like in this movie there's quite few things I do. It's a gorgeous movie, animated beautifully. The voice actors all knocked it out of the park. The kiss between Homer and Marge on the bike is superb. Many characters get their moment in the sun (although I'm still sad Mr. Burns was barely in it) and the amount of easter eggs on offer is really impressive. As I said before, there are still many many jokes that hold up. I love the Moe's Bar regulars switching places with the folks from the church. The wrecking ball scene, the government guy shouting "The government actually found someone we're looking for!", the other Simpsons lookalike family that gets arrested. There's so many great wee moments to choose from in amidst the messier stuff. In terms of deleted scenes, I understand why it was cut, but I love that clip of Homer getting a ride with the Sausage Truck guy back to Springfield. I laugh every time the Truck Driver sings "Checking on my sausages".

Ultimately, I don't think this movie is bad, nor is it amazing. I loved it when I first watched it as a teenager and since then have been thinking about what has bugged me about it on repeat viewings. To me, it's a movie that feels like you're watching full episodes of a TV show on Youtube that have been broken down into smaller clips. Satisfying on their own, and you get a sense of the story going on, but getting to the next scene is not a smooth transition. It may be too in favour of jokes over story, but I think it still set itself apart from the TV series and I'm glad it exists at all in spite of how frustrating it can be to watch now.

So, for a wgile I hadn't seen this movie, so glad to share my almost live plusses and minuses on it. I couldn't go with "traditional scale", cause it's a movie - different.

+ I&S cartoon
0 or meh Panaroma on Springfield and Green Day
++ Grampa prediction speech
+ Homer does house things
+++ Bart's ride naked😁
++ Bart and Flanders fishing
+ Lisa meets Collin (he named so, yes)
0 Lisa and town meeting
++ Marge solves Grampa's signs
0 Homer loves Plopper
++ Cletus' tryings to go through the wall😆
- politics scene, but Cargill's self-presentation was funny
- a parody on "Under the Doom" pan
+ Church and taverna switch places
+ Brokman's news revelation about Homer
++ The pan on the town (it's time to say the animation is great for 2D movie of 00s) and the joke "Hey, those dorks don't know, where we are"
+++ Marge saves a wedding tape… and dish a plate
+++ Just cool town vs. the Simpsons act.
+ Simpsons' house destroyed (a bit sad:()
++ Lisa and Collin farewell - nice
++ The Simpsons hiding
++ The family-like family are arrested 😄
+ Moe's taverna without light, frequenter, and booze, and stand
- Drunken Bart - no need to explain
+ Homer erns pickup
++ Homer's apologize to Marge. That was cute moment
+ Satire on Alaska - first I didn't like it, but late I understand
+ The second Swartznegger scene was better and random decision was so… villain
++The kids claps, causing the snow. However, here I don't like so high hate from Bart to Homer.
+++ Animals in Disney style prepare H&M to sex🤣🤣🤣
++ Tom Hanks - now I understand
+++ Marge's farewell - tearful classic 😢
+ Homer dances with eskimo woman
+ Homer's hallucination (plus for animation)
++ Bart as Mickey Mouse (The Simpsons predicted it!😅)
+++ National Security Agency listens to all:suspicious:
+ Homer and dogs
0 Homer and Northern Lights
++ Homer and bulldozer - that was painful
+ Homer's glued hand to penis - ah, I used to like it more😑
++ Cletus distracts Cargill
+++ Homer ruins everything again
+++ Flanders take Bart as new family - that was nice😥
0 Homer and a tree sign to bike
+++ Homer and Bart reunion
++ They save all how predictable Woohoo!
++ Maggie kicked Russ Cargill 😂
+ Lisa and Collin reunion
+++ Homer and Marge reunion and ride away
+ Credits scenes

Attached to 15 year anniversary this rewatch was worth my off day. Even after 15 years this is still good movie with funny moments. Say something very original, what is told for 15 years by every fan: hope the sequel is going to out soon... soon... soon...

Calculating the plusses: 84/100 (strong 4/5, with rounding, or B+). GOOD!

I actually liked the movie, and it makes sense why it became one of my favorite animated movies! It's because I'm a fan of that show! I seriously enjoyed some scenes, like a moment where Homer and Marge had a romantic moment in their home at the time in Alaska. Marge's lingerie was beautiful, and that scene is hilariously like a Golden Age Disney movie, like you can see the animals' reaction to them at the end of that moment! It was hilarious! I also felt the moment where Marge gives an emotional "goodbye" message to Homer while recording over the WEDDING tape, like oh my gosh! Julie Kavner's performance was so good and realistic, she deserves an Annie Award! Anyways, there were some funny and entertaining moments I liked, like when Green Day performed to the Simpsons before they literally died from drowning while the stage sunk, the lady playing the Funeral Version of "American Idiot", Bart skating without his clothes, Homer holding the pig to the ceiling while singing "Spiderpig", the angry mob scene, the moment when Marge said the most explicit bad language in the movie, and the most epic kiss of Homer and Marge in the Simpsons history, which is towards the end of the film!

I think the movie deserves praise! The movie was worked really hard to make sure it was perfect, and this movie is a must-watch to the Simpsons fans! The trailer with all kinds of drama was satisfyingly perfect, and the entertainment is just worth it with some Classic Simpsons Easter eggs and references. I just hope the sequel is made as a finale someday because it would've been epic and perfect!
A+

Last edited:
I enjoyed the movie, it is fantastic! The romantic Marge and Homer scenes are beautiful, especially the ending.

I think the funniest scenes in the movie are when Barney needed Ned's noggin literally and he placed it on his Plow King truck, and the other scene I found funny was the whole Spiderpig segment.

The only scene I wasn't so fond of in the movie was when Homer made Bart go skateboarding naked as a dare, because I found that scene a little cruel in my opinion.

I wish that the sausage truck scene was in the final movie since Homer way back home felt to fast and to random.

Goverment sent Psychologist trying to calm down people as the bomb about to explode was also a fun idea I wih was left in the movie.

Patty and Selma cameo wasn't that funny but they are such big character it felt weak none of them didn't had a line in the movie.

I think that the movie could easily been 10 minutes longer and people woudn't mind, especialy since after the family escapes the Dome the story felt very rushed. Simpsons moving to Alaska part especialy felt unexplored and one or two more scenes of them trying to start new life would be good, especialy since LIsa didn't realy had an arc in the movie so at least they could played up her missing Colin.

Back